U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

So Trumps action of appointing Republican leaning  federal Judges has paid off in Minnesota. Federal Court Judges voted 2 to 1 to change election rules in Minnesota. The rule was if you mailed your vote in and it is postmarked prior to the election day and I believe even on election day it was good to be counted up to a period of ten days after election day, the Republican leaning two judges terminated that policy  and votes now have to be in by election day. Any appeal would have to go to SCOTUS, that sounds fair, oh is that not a Republican leaning majority in there also. 

Trump is nothing but an unscrupulous scoundrel. 

So basically doing exactly what he said happens with postal votes he is doing by doing this tampering in an election 

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Craig Gordons Gloves
11 hours ago, Sharpie said:

So Trumps action of appointing Republican leaning  federal Judges has paid off in Minnesota. Federal Court Judges voted 2 to 1 to change election rules in Minnesota. The rule was if you mailed your vote in and it is postmarked prior to the election day and I believe even on election day it was good to be counted up to a period of ten days after election day, the Republican leaning two judges terminated that policy  and votes now have to be in by election day. Any appeal would have to go to SCOTUS, that sounds fair, oh is that not a Republican leaning majority in there also. 

Trump is nothing but an unscrupulous scoundrel. 

In addition, the ballots went out to people and it states the rule about postmarked on them so there is now a huge communication campaign (led by dems, r's are being quiet) to have people drop them off or vote in person.  This is even more concerning in that the USPS (which until recently has actually been excellent in MN) has said that your ballot should have been mailed by Tuesday to be sure of it getting in time.  That's a week when it should take no more than 1 day to be delivered in the same state. I've noticed the huge decline in USPS since the summer, i sent out around 40 cards to addresses in the twin cities (i live in the eastern burbs) and some people got them next day, others up to a week later.  It's ridiculous. 

The land of the free is most definitely not when it comes to democracy. 

2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

So basically doing exactly what he said happens with postal votes he is doing by doing this tampering in an election 

Correct. This isn't about fairness or democracy, it's about seizing power.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
15 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

It was wonderful to see. Perdue is the guy who deliberately mispronounced Kamala Harris’s name the other day be cause he’s a racist ass. And he’s now cancelled his final debate with Ossoff because he’s a coward.

(Edit: in American terms, he’s literally chicken)

"It's not just that you're a crook", then goes on for another minute uninterrupted with a solid stream of slams. 😄

I love when the "when they go low" nonsense is ignored. 

12 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

In addition, the ballots went out to people and it states the rule about postmarked on them so there is now a huge communication campaign (led by dems, r's are being quiet) to have people drop them off or vote in person.  This is even more concerning in that the USPS (which until recently has actually been excellent in MN) has said that your ballot should have been mailed by Tuesday to be sure of it getting in time.  That's a week when it should take no more than 1 day to be delivered in the same state. I've noticed the huge decline in USPS since the summer, i sent out around 40 cards to addresses in the twin cities (i live in the eastern burbs) and some people got them next day, others up to a week later.  It's ridiculous. 

The land of the free is most definitely not when it comes to democracy. 

I am a wee bit unsure of the facts, but I seem to recall that Trump appointed a man as head of the USPS who was another Trump believer. One of his first actions was to start overhauling the department machinery supposedly to renew old equipment but was allegedly  a method of reducing equipment to disrupt the flow of mail particularly at the election time. Between this and supportive State Governors not supplying unilaterally boxes to  deposit votes it is becoming increasingly likely that there will be considerable appeals post election that  votes were too  late to be counted, or not delivered at all.  It will come as no surprise now that this will lead to Court actions for a decision both State and National. Federal Courts in States have been well supplied with right wing Judges, and of course the Supreme Court are with Kavanaugh et al quite Trump oriented.

Trump is quite typical of people I met in my career, did not seem the sharpest knife in the box when it came to normal discussion or actions, but when it came to beating the system, or gaining money and benefits without any visible signs of earning seem to have a higher level of intelligence. When all the things that have been discussed about Trump are put together you wonder how he survived crossing a street safely, but when it comes to manipulating outside the rules he does seem to have a talent for finding a way or someone who can on his behalf. Hard neck often supersedes high brain power.

Craig Gordons Gloves
2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I am a wee bit unsure of the facts, but I seem to recall that Trump appointed a man as head of the USPS who was another Trump believer. One of his first actions was to start overhauling the department machinery supposedly to renew old equipment but was allegedly  a method of reducing equipment to disrupt the flow of mail particularly at the election time. Between this and supportive State Governors not supplying unilaterally boxes to  deposit votes it is becoming increasingly likely that there will be considerable appeals post election that  votes were too  late to be counted, or not delivered at all.  It will come as no surprise now that this will lead to Court actions for a decision both State and National. Federal Courts in States have been well supplied with right wing Judges, and of course the Supreme Court are with Kavanaugh et al quite Trump oriented.

Trump is quite typical of people I met in my career, did not seem the sharpest knife in the box when it came to normal discussion or actions, but when it came to beating the system, or gaining money and benefits without any visible signs of earning seem to have a higher level of intelligence. When all the things that have been discussed about Trump are put together you wonder how he survived crossing a street safely, but when it comes to manipulating outside the rules he does seem to have a talent for finding a way or someone who can on his behalf. Hard neck often supersedes high brain power.

You're absolutely bang on with the facts. De Joy was appointed postmaster general (a trump donor/fan) and since then, performance has dipped drastically.  The USPS has been losing money for years but it's not a for profit business, it's a service for all and that's what the Trump org/camp/mindset hates.  

You're also bang on with Trump - he's a grifter, no shame and purely out to beat the system - sadly, the inherent selfishness of American culture doesn't despise that kind of attitude.  

12 hours ago, Ulysses said:

One thing that's clear from all the pollsters is that Biden is significantly outperforming Clinton (and in one or two cases Obama) in North Carolina, Ohio, Georgia, Iowa, and Arizona.  Yet he might not win any of them.  Likewise, Florida will be very close, and while Trump is leading in Texas his lead is within margins of error.  Trump's efforts to thieve the election could be successful, although if Biden flips (say) NC and GA that'll probably put a halt to that.  Biden could find himself within decimal points of winning all of those states but losing them all.  Imagine winning the popular vote by about 6% but losing in the electoral college by 270 to 268. :eek:

Margin for error is the key point in all of these figures. Saying that Biden/Trump is ahead my 3% doesn't mean anything if the margin for error is ±5%.

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

This isn't even a metaphor :rofl:

Trump Supporters Pass Out From Extreme Heat At Rally Days After He Held Event In Freezing Cold

He's leaving even his most fervent supporters quite literally stranded, to fend for themselves in inhospitable conditions, on a habitual basis.

And at this late stage I really don't see the point. He's babbling to the already converted at these whoop fests. People who don't even seem to notice that he isn't even talking about policy. All he has are lines about sleepy Joe and the 'criminal Biden family'. The irony.

I would guess everyone even including the sheep at these rallies know there's only one of the pair likely to be facing criminal charges. And it's not Biden nor his family.

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

And at this late stage I really don't see the point. He's babbling to the already converted at these whoop fests. People who don't even seem to notice that he isn't even talking about policy. All he has are lines about sleepy Joe and the 'criminal Biden family'. The irony.

I would guess everyone even including the sheep at these rallies know there's only one of the pair likely to be facing criminal charges. And it's not Biden nor his family.

It gets him on the local TV stations in whatever state he is in. It's about motivating people that will vote for you to get out and vote rather than changing opinions at this point.

Carl Fredrickson
33 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Sad to see Jack Nicklaus declare for Trump. Talk about tarnishing your legacy.

He was a hero of mine back in the 70s and I always hoped Tiger would fail to overhaul his record of Major wins. It’s probably too late now but I hope Tiger can still manage the few more he needs.

He peaked with the Shining :)

Do we think Trump has shot himself in the foot with his voter suppression antics? It's going to be a record turnout with 84 million votes already cast as of now. And I suspect that record turnout is in part due to the fact anti Trump voters have been motivated by his voter suppression maneuvering.

And of course another part of it is millions know this orange wacko is crazy and has to be removed.

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Sad to see Jack Nicklaus declare for Trump. Talk about tarnishing your legacy.

He was a hero of mine back in the 70s and I always hoped Tiger would fail to overhaul his record of Major wins. It’s probably too late now but I hope Tiger can still manage the few more he needs.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Woods is also a big Trump fan.  They play golf together regularly.

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Woods is also a big Trump fan.  They play golf together regularly.

There are rich people who would vote for Trump because it's financially beneficial to them. And other rich people who wouldn't because though it would be financially beneficial to them it would simply be more money they will never need.

The difference lies between the self centred greedy rich and the rich with empathy for the majority plus the best interests of the nation.

14 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

As for Woods I don't know. He also played with Obama.

5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Fair enough.  :thumb:

Article from May 2019 which doesn't clear anything up as such rather I would say it adopts an unflattering view of Woods for not taking an open stand against Trump. In my view suggesting business is more important to Woods than ethics.

Plenty of athletes are refusing to stand with Trump - not Tiger Woods

3 hours ago, Stokesy said:

Margin for error is the key point in all of these figures. Saying that Biden/Trump is ahead my 3% doesn't mean anything if the margin for error is ±5%.

Indeed.  Unless the gap between the two main candidates is more than double the MoE there is a probability that the "winning" candidate is actually behind.  In any case all margins of error are on the basis of an assumption that the poll may be wrong 5% of the time.  And, of course, the MoE only counts for statistical error.  If a poll is flawed or biased it's going to be wrong regardless of the MoE.

On 29/10/2020 at 16:57, Maple Leaf said:

Whiny Kavanaugh owes Trump big time for securing him a lifetime job on the Supreme Court.  

As it happens, Kavanaugh doesn't really owe Trump anything.  Once he's appointed, it's almost impossible to remove him, which means he can do what he likes as regards Trump.  But he'll be happy to toe a conservative line.  Of course, that isn't necessarily what Trump wants him to do, but Trump doesn't know that.

Edited by Ulysses

7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

As it happens, Kavanaugh doesn't really owe Trump anything.  Once he's appointed, it's almost impossible to remove him, which means he can do what he likes as regards Trump.  But he'll be happy to toe a conservative line.  Of course, that isn't necessarily what Trump wants him to do, but Trump doesn't know that.

Trump isn't a Conservative which is why so many of the actual Conservative establishment either openly or secretly oppose him.

As for Kavanaugh what Trump wants from him isn't a Conservative line, it's the same thing he wanted from Comey. Loyalty to Trump nothing else.

alwaysthereinspirit
Spoiler

For the love of G-d Biden, when you quote someone I think the idea is to literally quote them.

Word for word.

Not your own made up gibberish.

Edited by alwaysthereinspirit

6 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:
  Reveal hidden contents

For the love of G-d Biden, when you quote someone I think the idea is to literally quote them.

Word for word.

Fair point though I have no idea what you're talking about because you offered nothing.

LATEST FALSE FACT-CHECKS ON DONALD TRUMP

2 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Word for word.

screenshot-bidenquote-2020_10.30-21_56_50.png.0122bf5a08b0536c715766d2e150e6db.png

::troll:: 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

His latest at his most recent rally, "Our doctors get more money if someone dies from Covid. You know that, right?" What a despicable human. Hundreds of healthcare workers have died in the US trying to keep others alive and he throws around scandalous and baseless slurs like that. Shame on anyone that supports this. Shame. 

17 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

His latest at his most recent rally, "Our doctors get more money if someone dies from Covid. You know that, right?" What a despicable human. Hundreds of healthcare workers have died in the US trying to keep others alive and he throws around scandalous and baseless slurs like that. Shame on anyone that supports this. Shame. 

3 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Word for word.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
9 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

Slandering and lying about healthcare workers literally dying as they try to save others vs getting a bit muddled. Aye, same difference. I hope your CV is up to date, comrade. You're going to need to find something else to do in the Siberian tundra. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

On 27/10/2020 at 12:26, Cade said:

Who is this woman?

It's not Melania Trump.

Imagine paying someone to be a body double of your wife who's still sick with Covid.

Many people reckon it's Hope Hicks, a PR and political advisor.

ElQm_5YW0AAfX9m?format=jpg&name=900x900ElJh8fDXYAE5uD9?format=jpg&name=small

44 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

Seriously, are you on the wind up or truly thinking you are saying anything here that makes Trump look any better to rational people? You seriously think calling Biden a liar beside the greatest liar the nation has ever seen is a smart move?

Sick that he says doctors are deliberately certifying covid deaths to make money. You just couldn't imagine anybody here saying garbage like that and collecting votes. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Far too many americans on here.GTF

Well to my knowledge there is only one, and your statement seems a tad bizarre on a topic about an American.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)