U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Who is this woman?

It's not Melania Trump.

Imagine paying someone to be a body double of your wife who's still sick with Covid.

Many people reckon it's Hope Hicks, a PR and political advisor.

ElQm_5YW0AAfX9m?format=jpg&name=900x900ElJh8fDXYAE5uD9?format=jpg&name=small

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Cade said:

Who is this woman?

It's not Melania Trump.

Imagine paying someone to be a body double of your wife who's still sick with Covid.

Good work if you can get it.

12 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Been watching various people give their take on the 60 minutes walkout video. And the more I see Trump whine to that woman the more I think he actually truly is medically insane.

Now many think that the 'crazy act' is just that, an act which apparently more crazy people are impressed by and vote for him. And I thought that as well to at least some degree. But now I think he actually is truly insane.

Consider this. He does a lot of whining to the 60 minutes woman abut the "scandal" around Joe Biden not being reported. And also keep in mind this whining wasn't going to be part of the interview. It's intended as just a sort of personal discussion with her.

She explains to him that not 60 minutes nor any other news outlet can report on something there is no evidence for. He insists there is though doesn't offer any. Just keeps whining that they don't report it.

Now isn't that truly insane? They come up with a lie his entire team knows is a lie. Something every half intelligent person knows is a lie. And he sits there thinking he can convince this intelligent woman that this fantasy is real?

That's what makes me think he's truly insane. His psychologist niece was asked if she thought he truly believed his own lies. She said that she thought initially he doesn't. But once he's repeated it over and over he then starts to believe it. That's insanity.  

But but but his supporters at his rallies believe it, he's even got them chanting 'lock him up'.

Kinda tells you all you need to know about the average Trump supporter's intelligence.

25 minutes ago, Cade said:

Who is this woman?

It's not Melania Trump.

2nd picture has been well photoshopped.

1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

Trump looking like he is gonna lose quite a few states he took in 2016.

Yeah, it's just the polls, but Trump needs to take them all again to remain in power.

Wisconsin currently at 7% for Biden  - Trump won by 0.77 in 2016

Pennsylvania currently at 5% for Biden  -  Trump won it by 0.72 in 2016

Michigan currently over 8% for BIden  -  Trump  won it by 0.23% in 2016

Unless the polls are wildly wrong, which is possible, Trump will lose the popular vote by a significant margin. However, it's the Electoral College who elect the President, and that vote doesn't take place until December.  That will give Trump and his cronies plenty of time to contest the results through the courts, which have been packed with Trump-appointed judges.

In all probability, this election won't be over until mid-December.  That's when Americans will learn if they are living in a democracy or a dictatorship.

If Trump gives a concession speech any time in November, I'll be ready to post that I was wrong.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Yeah.  You don't go and check something like that on any news website.  You come onto KB.

Same here. First port of call is always the fine people of JKB. Can't trust the fake news mafia nor my own capacity to think. JKB rarely lets me down.

The fake Melania? That's true, too. The one in that photo is holding Trump's hand with a proper hand-hold. You never see the real one doing that. :silly:

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Some info. Then some levity.

20201027_121528.jpg

20201027_121544.jpg

Question - in a UK general election, are postal vote stats released into the public domain prior to polling day  ?    Surely not ?

Bit of an eye opener (for me anyway) to see the above stuff -  fair democracy already diminished,  even before Trump uses the courts to interfere. 🙄

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Question - in a UK general election, are postal vote stats released into the public domain prior to polling day  ?    Surely not ?

Bit of an eye opener (for me anyway) to see the above stuff -  fair democracy already diminished,  even before Trump uses the courts to interfere. 🙄

Think they are counted before polling day, I think the candidates/party know, but it's an offence to even hint what the numbers are, could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Who is this woman?

It's not Melania Trump.

Isn't it more likely that the top photo is  staged for the political media, Trump with a serviceman's widow at his grave ?    The burd in the bottom photo doesn't look the same anyway.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Unless the polls are wildly wrong, which is possible, Trump will lose the popular vote by a significant margin. However, it's the Electoral College who elect the President, and that vote doesn't take place until December.  That will give Trump and his cronies plenty of time to contest the results through the courts, which have been packed with Trump-appointed judges.

In all probability, this election won't be over until mid-December.  That's when Americans will learn if they are living in a democracy or a dictatorship.

If Trump gives a concession speech any time in November, I'll be ready to post that I was wrong.

Most commentators are thinking he can't win without either voter suppression or underhanded court antics. He wont concede.

Plus everyone is agreeing that his panic is entirely about the fact if he loses that there will be people almost literally waiting at the door to press charges on him January 20th.

All he talks about at his whoop fests is 'sleepy Joe', 'fake polls' 'lock them up', while Biden speaks on policy. Yet still these idiots whoop away.

50 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Isn't it more likely that the top photo is  staged for the political media, Trump with a serviceman's widow at his grave ?    The burd in the bottom photo doesn't look the same anyway.

I think you're right.  That's not Melania in the top picture.

19 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Most commentators are thinking he can't win without either voter suppression or underhanded court antics. He wont concede.

Plus everyone is agreeing that his panic is entirely about the fact if he loses that there will be people almost literally waiting at the door to press charges on him January 20th.

All he talks about at his whoop fests is 'sleepy Joe', 'fake polls' 'lock them up', while Biden speaks on policy. Yet still these idiots whoop away.

Yes... it's tragic.   As you say, there's zero prospect of him conceding even if the normal measurements determine that Biden has won.  It's not in his egotistical nature.     His instinct (especially if  Guiliani is still on board) might be to just keeping raising court actions to delay any  handover  in the hope that the  nutjob wing of his supporters start looting & pillaging their towns in protest at the result  - he'd probably feel emboldened  seeing that.   A weird sort of scorched earth last hurrah - but utterly ugly and tragic for everyone else.

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Cade said:

Who is this woman?

It's not Melania Trump.

ElQm_5YW0AAfX9m?format=jpg&name=900x900

Is this actually a serious suggestion?

I'm rubbish at these "spot the difference" competitions but I really see no difference between the wifie above and the one below.

1282287.jpg

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

A serviceman's widow wearing one of Melania's outfits, with Melania's haircut and Melania's dark glasses.

And the pic was released by the Trump camp and labelled as Melania.

But it's clearly not her.

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Yeah, remember Kuenssberg getting into shit for hinting at Labour's turnout & prospects not looking good.

It's covered under a specific Act.

Two different countries though of course, I don't know the rules over there. 

8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Think the photos are a wind up. Expanded this looks to me like Putin with a wig and dark glasses. Thought provoking.

melania-putin-crop.jpg

Would (thought I would get it in first ;)).

Surely trump would think the man lying in the grave was a loser ? 

what is it with him when he’s trying to look serious and all powerful he pouts his lips and ends looking like either Donald or Daffy Duck ,

oh please let this arsehole be voted out , please 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Trump will remain the defendant in the rape case, he tried to maker the US Government the defendant instead. He has to supply a DNA sample, too.

No doubt the Christian right will turn a blind eye to this.

Part of this has an Interesting 'exclusive' clip of Sacha Baron Cohen in disguise at a right wing militia group rally. He's masquerading as some sort of country singer but is sort of accidentally outed by BLM protestors who are secretly observing what's going in there.

The militia nuts try to storm the stage to attack him.

alwaysthereinspirit
20 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Barrett's shameful confirmation is a very dangerous development for democracy in the U.S.  Makes the possibility we could see a sham election and masses of postal votes voided very real. Trump is already going back to the scotus on Pennsylvania to void any ballots rcvd after the 3rd. He has already nobbled the USPS on postal delivery times so Barret can seal the deal.  That state is the key battleground which if Trump can suppress enough votes there is a path to 270. 

??? 

In what way was her being nominated, the hearings, the Senate Judiciary vote, the full Senate vote and confirmation followed by her appointment in any way shameful.

9 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

2nd picture has been well photoshopped.

First too surely.

Edited by DETTY29

23 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

??? 

In what way was her being nominated, the hearings, the Senate Judiciary vote, the full Senate vote and confirmation followed by her appointment in any way shameful.

You're not one of the best informed people around here are you.

When a vacancy on the Supreme Court arose nine months ahead of the election in 2016, Sen. Mitch McConnell said in no uncertain terms: “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President.”

25 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

??? 

The whole American justice  appointment system is shameful.

alwaysthereinspirit
4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You're not one of the best informed people around here are you.

Senate then was Republican as it is now.

Elections have consequences (Obama)

She was confirmed using steps set forth by the United States Constitution.

Nothing Shameful about it.

Stay Well.

2 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Senate then was Republican as it is now.

Elections have consequences (Obama)

She was confirmed using steps set forth by the United States Constitution.

Nothing Shameful about it.

Stay Well.

Really? Tell you what, stay deceitful, as they are. Then we know what to expect from you.

When a vacancy on the Supreme Court arose nine months ahead of the election in 2016, Sen. Mitch McConnell said in no uncertain terms:

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President.”

alwaysthereinspirit
10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Really? Tell you what, stay deceitful, as they are. Then we know what to expect from you.

😭

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well the instructions to come off stand by are out there. 

Source checked as genuine. 

Apropos of nothing...

:facepalm:

A Boy Named Crow
9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I vaguely recall Ruth Davidson was accused of hinting at results from the postal votes during an election or something. She wasn't meant to know, and certainly shouldn't have been talking about it on the telly. 

Shanks said no
9 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Think they are counted before polling day, I think the candidates/party know, but it's an offence to even hint what the numbers are, could be wrong though.

If I recall correctly its covered by the Representation of the People Act 1983 (RPA 1983) in the UK

Edit

here's a couple of sections from Guidance on preventing and detecting electoral malpractice 

Postal vote opening, the verification
and the count

74. Once the Returning Officer/Counting Officer takes delivery of returned
postal ballot envelopes, they must be kept in a secure place and the
process thereafter is closely scrutinised.
75. The opening of returned postal ballot envelopes may take place on
several occasions in the days before polling day, as well as during
polling day and at the count following the close of poll.
Candidates/registered campaigners and/or their agents will be advised 

81. Everyone who attends either the opening of the postal votes or the
verification and count is bound to secrecy. Nobody is allowed to reveal
how any elector has voted should they inadvertently gain such
information.
Only the Returning Officer and the Returning Officer’s staff
and the Counting Officer and the Counting Officer’s staff are allowed to
touch the ballot papers. 

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

3 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

??? 

Oh I dunno, why don't we ask spineless toad Lindsey Graham for some insight?

“If there's a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say, ‘Lindsay Graham said, “Let's let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination” ’ and you'd be absolutely right. We're setting a precedent here today–Republicans are.”

22 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Oh I dunno, why don't we ask spineless toad Lindsey Graham for some insight?

“If there's a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say, ‘Lindsay Graham said, “Let's let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination” ’ and you'd be absolutely right. We're setting a precedent here today–Republicans are.”

I'm always trying to rationalise why anyone would be following Trump. I'm talking about those who would vote for him not the enablers around him. A tiny number of the super rich have been further enriched by him. Himself included of course. Some are terminally stupid, that's patently obvious.

But others aren't rich or that stupid, they're the greatest puzzle. I expect some are simply racist, in fact many. While others not quite so much. I have been thinking that perhaps Batman butler Alfred Pennyworth nailed some in 'The Dark Knight'

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn"

41 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn"

And some men are hopeless liars, whether it's the dishonesty of their questions, the insincerity of their “stay wells”, or their dramatic exits from threads.

On 07/10/2020 at 13:46, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I just got a warning for NOT swearing in a post.

Meanwhile  posters wish another human die.

I’m out.

As much integrity as Lindsey Graham. If the shoe fits, eh?

56 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm always trying to rationalise why anyone would be following Trump. I'm talking about those who would vote for him not the enablers around him. A tiny number of the super rich have been further enriched by him. Himself included of course. Some are terminally stupid, that's patently obvious.

But others aren't rich or that stupid, they're the greatest puzzle. I expect some are simply racist, in fact many. While others not quite so much. I have been thinking that perhaps Batman butler Alfred Pennyworth nailed some in 'The Dark Knight'

I can give you two real world examples:

1) Miss Perez-but-soon-to-be-Trotter acknowledges his many failings but is absolutely petrified of what she thinks the Democrats will do in power.

2) My good, but also smoking hot, friend runs her own business and believes that the Democrats will undo the good that she has seen from that side

9 minutes ago, trotter said:

I can give you two real world examples:

1) Miss Perez-but-soon-to-be-Trotter acknowledges his many failings but is absolutely petrified of what she thinks the Democrats will do in power.

2) My good, but also smoking hot, friend runs her own business and believes that the Democrats will undo the good that she has seen from that side

Yeah, these just sound like many people, who have been taken in and believe the tripe that Democrats are “radical leftists” and silliness like that.

22 minutes ago, trotter said:

Like what?

22 minutes ago, trotter said:

Like what?

28 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

And some men are hopeless liars, whether it's the dishonesty of their questions, the insincerity of their “stay wells”, or their dramatic exits from threads.

As much integrity as Lindsey Graham. If the shoe fits, eh?

Yeah, had a previous exchange with that one which ended in him saying don't bother me I'm watching TV when he was lost for a cogent response. Or sometimes a smiley. That's a winning argument to a debate. In some circles.

Like playing chess with a pigeon who finishes the game by scattering the pieces and claiming victory.

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Yeah, these just sound like many people, who have been taken in and believe the tripe that Democrats are “radical leftists” and silliness like that.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Like what?

Like what?

To answer your question JFK, see Justin's reply. These are two incredibly brilliant, successful, intelligent people, yet for whatever reason they have bought into the Trump propaganda machine. For what it's worth, I don't think and I have had the conversation/argument with both, that they think he is the Messiah. Rather they, and a lot of Americans are so disenfranchised with the country, they will go with him because he simply shouts MAGA.

John Gentleman
16 hours ago, Cade said:

A serviceman's widow wearing one of Melania's outfits, with Melania's haircut and Melania's dark glasses.

And the pic was released by the Trump camp and labelled as Melania.

But it's clearly not her.

The second (lower) picture has been edited. The nose/mouth/chin are clearly higher resolution than the rest of the picture (which is pretty low-res). I'm guessing it was photoshopped in from another picture of her when she was smiling (yes, I know, I know.....).

8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm always trying to rationalise why anyone would be following Trump. 

One of the reasons will be the moral superiority from people like yourself. Hilary Clinton is the main reason this lunatic is in charge. 

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

One of the reasons will be the moral superiority from people like yourself. Hilary Clinton is the main reason this lunatic is in charge. 

Add Putin and James Comey.

25 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'm no fan of the orange bell-end, but the way some folk talk about Trump supporters is not helpful.

I remember thinking the same, however, about Bush voters until I spent an evening in a bar in Oregon chatting with one. He was capable of justifying his vote and support of Bush quite eloquently and reasonably.

How many beers had you had when he started his justification? :)

I don't like Donald Trump as a person or as President of the United States. He epitomises the things I dislike most in life. He is a little rich boy who tries to act tough, has never been in a tough physical situation in his life. The only redeeming factor for cause I will give him was the way he was probably raised by a non loving rich father, who if I understand correctly  lied in his younger days about being Danish as opposed to German which he truly was, this indicates to me a philosophy of say, do or think what you have to, which was passed on to his son who uses it widely.

Trump consistently  refers to those being successful in their actions for him as warriors. A strange term for a man to use who has never been in a situation where he was surrounded by true warriors, being those who participated in a war. Again circumstances seem to indicate that his ability to not do so when called upon was decided by what would appear to be a suspect medical diagnosis, another example of tell a mistruth when required.

A few nights ago he suggested he was the least racist person in a TV location, He may be less active or obvious as such now, but his proven history reveals that was not so when he and his father barred persons of color from renting apartments. Also the Central Park five.

As far as his supporters are concerned, yes there are probably many who are just disgust ed with the system and certainly in 2016 saw a need for change. Trump had a role in a TV reality show, and was able to show himself as a powerful man who made decisions, and disposed of those he felt had not achieved the goals he set for the, he has followed the same policy as President, but this is not a game and some of the victims of You're Fired are speaking out about his inadequacies as a leader particularly President.

As far a his support are concerned, there is no doubt that it is unfair to suggest that all are radicle violent persons,  but some are. He toadies to these groups, here I see the danger is how lack of control at the outset can lead to major problems. As I do I like to go back to personal experience and relate that to future happenings.  Many years ago in Craigmillar there was a piece of ground that was used as a fun fair. One year a group of daft laddies started a gang and caused problems in the area, nothing serious and probably just a seasonal episode. They were however not controlled and it led to in the future  of extreme gang discord and on occasions violence. Although totally different in size and motivation I see the same problem with some of Trumps base,  they are much more militaristic and do provide an alternative for those who are inclined that way and ambitious for power of some kind. I am sure they are prepared if asked to provide that support to any politician or person in power if it is suggested to them. Trump has declined opportunities to publicly demean them.

I do not like Donald Trump, I believe he needs some stringent psychological help, I believe he lies, I believe he hates, and I believe he is bad for the United States, and indeed the whole world.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)