Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whose Vote Counts (full film) | FRONTLINE

As America chooses its next president in the midst of a historic pandemic, FRONTLINE investigates whose vote counts — and whose might not.

In this documentary with Columbia Journalism Investigations and USA Today, New Yorker writer Jelani Cobb reports on allegations of voter disenfranchisement, how unfounded claims of extensive voter fraud entered the political mainstream, rhetoric and realities around mail-in ballots, and how the pandemic could impact turnout.

With director June Cross, the Fred W. Friendly Professor of Media and Society at Columbia, and producer Thomas Jennings, Cobb scrutinizes one of the first elections held during the pandemic — Wisconsin’s April 2020 primary, which saw long lines, claims of disenfranchisement, an unprecedented number of absentee ballots and dueling legal battles between Republicans and Democrats.

The film places the election within the context of America’s history around voting rights and suppression, and discovers lessons for the country as a whole as the November presidential contest approaches.

Saw Obama speaking at a rally in Philadelphia earlier on BBC News and it is absolutely incredible that Trump replaced him in the White House. He absolutely called out Trump and very clearly highlighted just how ridiculous his decision making and general conduct has been. There can't have been many times that ex-presidents have openly criticised current presidents, but then again Trump is far from a normal president. I really hope that America sees sense on election day and elects Biden.

16 hours ago, XB52 said:

You keep saying the polls are narrowing but they aren't, at least not according to the BBC poll tracker??

I don't follow the BBC poll tracker.  I'm following FiveThirtyEight and Real Clear Politics.  RCP consistently paints a more pessimistic picture than 538 from the Democrat point of view.  This was also the case in 2016.  RCP is more selective about what polls it includes in its aggregator than 538.  I haven't looked at the data inputs to the BBC tracker, but I'd be surprised if they were as numerous or as comprehensive as RCP and 538.  Today alone, 538 added over a dozen national polls to its database, as well as, for example, around 30 state-level polls covering Florida, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Wisconsin, North Carolina and Michigan.  RCP's current analysis is based on 8 national polls published since last Friday, and 25 state-level polls for the states of Florida, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Wisconsin, North Carolina and Michigan.

538 is showing a slight shrinking of Biden's lead.  RCP is showing a more definite narrowing of the gap, especially in the battleground states, but that seems to be stalling today.

But the trend that I'm following most closely is the comparison of Trump's polling position now with where he stood at the same point in the 2016 race.  It's available on RCP, though you have to do a bit of digging and cross-referencing to get at the numbers.  It's also the most worrying trend for the Democrats, because it has been showing Trump as being in a better position now than he was then in the battleground states that Biden most needs to win.  But that trend also seems to be stalling today.  Right now, Biden is doing about 2 percentage points better than Clinton across the country as a whole, and more or less the same as Clinton across the six states I listed above.  If that holds, he'll win and probably with a fair bit to spare.  But if the trends go the same now as they did in the last 12-13 days of the 2016 campaign, Trump's campaign is very much back in business.

Here's a link to RCP's 2020 v. 2016 comparison page nationally:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/trump-vs-biden-national-polls-2020-vs-2016/

And for the six top battleground states:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/trump-vs-biden-top-battleground-states-2020-vs-2016/

1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Saw Obama speaking at a rally in Philadelphia earlier on BBC News and it is absolutely incredible that Trump replaced him in the White House. He absolutely called out Trump and very clearly highlighted just how ridiculous his decision making and general conduct has been. There can't have been many times that ex-presidents have openly criticised current presidents, but then again Trump is far from a normal president. I really hope that America sees sense on election day and elects Biden.

I apologise for resorting to a level that Trump might understand, but Obama ripped him an new arsehole.

1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I don't follow the BBC poll tracker.  I'm following FiveThirtyEight and Real Clear Politics.  RCP consistently paints a more pessimistic picture than 538 from the Democrat point of view.  This was also the case in 2016.  RCP is more selective about what polls it includes in its aggregator than 538.  I haven't looked at the data inputs to the BBC tracker, but I'd be surprised if they were as numerous or as comprehensive as RCP and 538.  Today alone, 538 added over a dozen national polls to its database, as well as, for example, around 30 state-level polls covering Florida, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Wisconsin, North Carolina and Michigan.  RCP's current analysis is based on 8 national polls published since last Friday, and 25 state-level polls for the states of Florida, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Wisconsin, North Carolina and Michigan.

538 is showing a slight shrinking of Biden's lead.  RCP is showing a more definite narrowing of the gap, especially in the battleground states, but that seems to be stalling today.

But the trend that I'm following most closely is the comparison of Trump's polling position now with where he stood at the same point in the 2016 race.  It's available on RCP, though you have to do a bit of digging and cross-referencing to get at the numbers.  It's also the most worrying trend for the Democrats, because it has been showing Trump as being in a better position now than he was then in the battleground states that Biden most needs to win.  But that trend also seems to be stalling today.  Right now, Biden is doing about 2 percentage points better than Clinton across the country as a whole, and more or less the same as Clinton across the six states I listed above.  If that holds, he'll win and probably with a fair bit to spare.  But if the trends go the same now as they did in the last 12-13 days of the 2016 campaign, Trump's campaign is very much back in business.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/trump-vs-biden-national-polls-2020-vs-2016/

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/trump-vs-biden-top-battleground-states-2020-vs-2016/

538 is currently predicting 334 electoral votes for Biden and 163 for Trump. If it's narrowing to use a football analogy it looks somewhat like a team being beaten 4-0 then scoring a goal with 15 minutes remaining.

You can say what you want about your personal feelings of President Obama, you can argue some the policies he made, you can argue a lot of what he done or did not. But what cannot ever be in doubt is that he was a proper statesman, and someone worthy of the office of POTUS. 

Despite what you may hear in some circles, in 100 years, history will look back on Obama as a good, if not great American President. 

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Obama, "The presidency doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

Being very, very rough on himself with that quote.

28 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Being very, very rough on himself with that quote.

Despite what he said I think it changed him. I feel he became bitter at the cranking up of the bipartisanship when they tried to stymie every single thing he did no matter how much sense it made.

I think he felt a large part of it was simply because he was black. And frankly I would agree with him on that. And it's still why they're trying to dismantle his signature achievement the ACA. Not because it's so bad, but simply because it was him who enacted it.

I remember an incident soon after Trump took office. Some staffer or other was trying to explain some detail or other to him. Trump as usual wasn't really interested in listening to the details, interrupts and says. Was Obama for it. The staffer replies yes. Well I'm against it says Trump. If Obama had been against it he would have been for it.

He didn't even understand what it was. Just if Obama was for it I'm against it. That's how dysfunctional Trump in particular is and how irrational overall the Republicans are.

7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

👍cheers for that

Donny's considering labelling  Oxfam, Amnesty Intl and Human Rights Watch as "antisemitic" organisations because they keep reporting on Israeli crimes against Palestinians.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Donny's considering labelling  Oxfam, Amnesty Intl and Human Rights Watch as "antisemitic" organisations because they keep reporting on Israeli crimes against Palestinians.

Atleast it will give Celtic fans an idea for new banners

"Why are you torturing and murdering these people who's land you've illegally occupied?"

"SHUT UP JEW HATER"

:vrface: This is actually where we're at with Israel

This latest stuff released about Iran and Russia doesn't sit right somehow.

A normal administration would come out with information like this, but not Trump's    Something must have happened that they are coming out saying that their voting is secure after Trump talking about it being compromised for months now.  There's just something weird about it, like they are trying to get ahead of something that's about to break.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54640405

They still somehow claim that Trump is the target somehow too.

"The intelligence chief said Iran's "spoof emails" claimed to be sent by the far-right Proud Boys group in order to "intimidate voters, incite unrest and damage" President Donald Trump."

Edited by Lovecraft

1 hour ago, Cade said:

"Why are you torturing and murdering these people who's land you've illegally occupied?"

"SHUT UP JEW HATER"

:vrface: This is actually where we're at with Israel

Meanwhile Nazi sympathisers chanting "Jews will not replace us!" are "some very fine people on both sides"

2 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Meanwhile Nazi sympathisers chanting "Jews will not replace us!" are "some very fine people on both sides"

It's pathetic, the world we created. Makes you want to spew at times. 

Then these people help ye smile. 

40 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

Oh boy its on Fox News it must be right, oh the agony ,oh the terror what will the world do now, the pillars of truth and integrity Hannity, Carlson, and the Judge will tell us all the honest gory details. Rudy might even take time to take his hand off his junk sorry shirt, and join them, it will be good to get the whole truth.

As an aside can Rudy give me some advice on the system of lying on your back to tuck your shirt in, I for one would like to know, just in case I have the opportunity to show a beautiful young woman, in my case someone around seventy four how I do it.

My word :rofl:

President Trump’s Twitter accessed by security expert who guessed password “maga2020!”

After logging in, he emailed US-CERT, a division of Homeland Security’s cyber unit Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), to disclose the security lapse, which TechCrunch has seen. Gevers said the president’s Twitter password was changed shortly after.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They claim it's not true, like so many other embarrassing, incompetent **** ups they're responsible for. :Aye:

If there was any real evidence of wrongdoing by Biden or his son, you can guarantee that there would have been charges against them already.  Especially considering pretty much every dept has Trump sycophants running them.

100%

There isn't.  There is just unproven allegations on the Republican propaganda channel.

It's amazing how social media is allowed to let scum publish lie after lie, with no comebacks, or retractions. 

Edited by ri Alban

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8862027/Parents-545-children-separated-US-border-policy.html

Absolute pondlife, as is anyone who supports these evil *****.

Imagine deliberately enacting a policy to separate desperate families, then deporting the parents leaving these children vulnerable and alone.

Beyond words. 

1 hour ago, moogsy said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8862027/Parents-545-children-separated-US-border-policy.html

Absolute pondlife, as is anyone who supports these evil *****.

Imagine deliberately enacting a policy to separate desperate families, then deporting the parents leaving these children vulnerable and alone.

Beyond words. 

There is also a disinformation campaign in full swing targeted specifically at his sycophants to try to convince them that the administration has been committed to ending human trafficking and that the border wall has been a key component in bringing the numbers down.

I just didn't even know where to begin with that, when faced with it. I wish people weren't so ****ing gullible, because children's lives and wellbeing has literally depended on it, but they are—and so here we are.

Is anyone staying up to watch the debate?

Betting sites have a wee word bingo phrase to make it interesting. 

I've shoved £100 on one of them saying the phrase make America great again. £247 back on it once its said 

Donald Trump posted about 40 minutes of the 60 Minutes interview, which is set to air on Sunday, but which he abruptly ended after accusing host Lesley Stahl of being unfair.

He continued his tirade against her on Twitter: "Watch her constant interruptions  & anger.

Compare my full, flowing and 'magnificently brilliant' answers to their 'Q's'."

Trump 'magnificently brilliant'??? 🤣

1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

Is anyone staying up to watch the debate?

Betting sites have a wee word bingo phrase to make it interesting. 

I've shoved £100 on one of them saying the phrase make America great again. £247 back on it once its said 

I'm going to watch to see Trumps antics when his mic is muted. Some prominent commentators of the opinion that he is unstable and simply wont be able to control himself as Biden speaks especially if berating him.

In fact if I were team Biden I would be telling him to go out there and rip him a new one when his mic is muted.

Regarding the 60 minutes interview apparently Trump complains about the tough questioning on a number of occasions.

WTF??? He's a very stable genius who "aced" a cognitive test. What does he think this is? Fox?

And what's a  tough question? This isn't advanced mathematics. A question on politics is simply a question. What can make it so tough?

He also says the interviewer hasn't gone after Joe Biden enough. Again, WTF? She's there to interview Trump on presumably policy and she should be talking about Biden? WTF???

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's pathetic, the world we created. Makes you want to spew at times. 

Then these people help ye smile. 

How about this? Happened yesterday. Burning car, if it were me I would be thinking that may blow at any time. Do I take the chance.

Cop Drags Woman Out of Burning Overturned Car

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

As I’ve just proven we’re all idiots after enough booze. 

You suggesting Trump is permanently drunk? He's a  teetotaler.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)