U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

There has been talk on here for a long time that Trump has mental or psychological problems. I would suggest with the stress of possibly losing an election, drugs and side effects of Covid, that at this time Trump is in a complete mental breakdown. I cannot stand the man, but I would say to anyone who is a fan of his that if you want to be kind and faithful to him you should be encouraging him to stand down and heal. Like all illnesses mental illness is one that requires gentle care, rest and avoidance of stress the last thing Trump needs is   encouragement in his foolishness. You are not being helpful, you are continuing to enable and it can not be for his good but for your own selfish purposes.Oh yes it would not be harmful for the people of America, or  indeed the world  to curb him now either.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

b5651f038232d6713083dafedf296a47.gif

As far as Trump's comments go, there's a kernel of truth regarding water extraction and the environment, but as usual he's offering a simplistic solution to a complicated problem 

😄

Frankie Boyle earlier today... 

The Donald has now tweeted but 12hrs between using twitter is a long time for him. 

24 minutes ago, Barack said:

Ever since I moved from iPhone to Galaxy, it's never let me copy & paste directly from Giphy like it used to. And if I c&p the URL from there into the link box here, it just shows the link. Not the image like above.

If I copy a Twitter link or YouTube...no problems.

Try doing a long press on the gif, then open image in new tab. In the new tab long press the address then tap edit, then long press the address again, then copy and paste.

Sometimes it's necessary to repeat step 2, ie in the second tab long press the gif to open another tab that only displays the gif.

Sounds more complicated than the reality.

dt-believe-me.gif

Carl Fredrickson
38 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Try doing a long press on the gif, then open image in new tab. In the new tab long press the address then tap edit, then long press the address again, then copy and paste.

Sometimes it's necessary to repeat step 2, ie in the second tab long press the gif to open another tab that only displays the gif.

dt-believe-me.gif

Never tried it myself until now

giphy.gif

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

Just told Iran on a US Radio show, "Don't f *** with us" and just now tweeted about Colorado being sent mail ballots and that they should fill them out and vote.

A busy day so far. What next from Donald?

7 minutes ago, kila said:

Just told Iran on a US Radio show, "Don't f *** with us" and just now tweeted about Colorado being sent mail ballots and that they should fill them out and vote.

He must be raging that Iran haven’t risen to any bait in the last few months give him an excuse to play the hero of the western world. 
Frankly it terrifies me the amount of hyper confidential info he knows and will still know after he’s out of office. Don’t expect him to act with the dignity other ex presidents maintain. 

14 minutes ago, kila said:

The 'roid rage' is kicking in, supposedly the withdrawal is even worse. Good times.

*Contains a president saying the f word.

Edited by fancy a brew

7 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The 'roid rage' is kicking in, supposedly the withdrawal is even worse. Good times.

*Contains a president saying the f word.

Jesus Christ. He’s unravelling in public. 

23 minutes ago, kila said:

he is to appear on fox news to have some sort of medical

I keep waiting for him to slip up about Epstein. Especially now he's freely saying f *** on public broadcasts.

Someone just has to leave that door open and he'll stomp his way through it.

Pelosi applying the pressure by asking the house to consider the 25h amendment which can remove a President that's mentally or physically incapable of holding office.

:jjyay:She kens damn fine there's zero chance of it happening but the pressure needs to be kept up.

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Pelosi applying the pressure by asking the house to consider the 25h amendment which can remove a President that's mentally or physically incapable of holding office.

:jjyay:She kens damn fine there's zero chance of it happening but the pressure needs to be kept up.

Trump seems to think it's to get rid of Biden if he is to win the election.

Add paranoia to his ever increasing list of issues

SectionDJambo
59 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Pelosi is yet another of the geriatrics currently infesting American politics in both parties.

(And I’m an oldie myself before anyone complains)

Elite American politics does seem to be in a very worrying mess. The western democracies must be filling the Kremlin with some glee these days.

When people of my age long for the days of the political standards of the 70s and 80s, it’s a big concern. That’s how I’ve felt recently.

Shanks said no

President Donald Trump went after all his favorite political targets after phoning in to Fox News' Sean Hannity on Thursday, October 8, in between respiratory problems and coughs. One of the things he ranted about was the Democrats in California redirecting “millions of gallons” of drinking water into the Pacific Ocean to help "tiny fish" survive. 

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

President Donald Trump went after all his favorite political targets after phoning in to Fox News' Sean Hannity on Thursday, October 8, in between respiratory problems and coughs. One of the things he ranted about was the Democrats in California redirecting “millions of gallons” of drinking water into the Pacific Ocean to help "tiny fish" survive. 

:laugh2: and there are still people who support this utter arse piece!

13 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

dt-believe-me.gif

image.png.ac8a31e8ab893c21f971474184b34bfc.png

Cheers 👍

Sawdust Caesar

I'm surprised that I've never seen or heard of this before now. Bit of a bizarre choice to do the draw.

Apologies if it has already been posted before now.

7 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Christ,

When I saw the initial headline I wrongly gave him a very small benefit of the doubt he may have just picked up a scientific briefing wrong.....

4 hours ago, Barack said:

Guess he really doesn't want re-elected...

Mask completely off, not that it was ever really affixed all that well in the first place.

Just wanted to post this for the sake of the Canadians in the thread . . . well, everybody, but especially the Canadians.

Wonder what the bookies' odds are on this white supremacist buffoon being the GOP candidate for president in 2024?

8 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Just wanted to post this for the sake of the Canadians in the thread . . . well, everybody, but especially the Canadians.

Wonder what the bookies' odds are on this white supremacist buffoon being the GOP candidate for president in 2024?

I’m guessing he knows exactly how to pronounce it but is having a subtle dig at the pronunciation of her first name. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m guessing he knows exactly how to pronounce it but is having a subtle dig at the pronunciation of her first name. 

That's a good point, especially considering he couldn't get over being called out for mispronouncing her name a couple of months back.

An American getting upset about pronunciation of the Queen's English is hilarious.

These ignorant colonial savages barely speak the language at all.

Edited by Cade

Even if Carlson did mispronounce the name, it's not as bad as his esteemed cult leader mispronouncing the "United Shaysh of America."

37 minutes ago, Cade said:

An American getting upset about pronunciation of the Queen's English is hilarious.

These ignorant colonial savages barely speak the language at all.

How Americans preserved British English

Shakespeare’s accent probably sounded more American than modern British

Where did the British accent come from? It started in the 1800s

Around the early 1800s that sort of accent became popular in southern England and along our East Coast and was thought to be quite proper and posh. That became Received Pronunciation.

In America the spread of industrialization shifted the power centers to the Midwest, which was largely settled by people of Scot-Irish heritage who still pronounced “r” as “r.”

:smuggy:

Au contraire—we ignorant colonial savages saved the true language of Northern Britain! :lol:

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

How Americans preserved British English

Shakespeare’s accent probably sounded more American than modern British

Where did the British accent come from? It started in the 1800s

Around the early 1800s that sort of accent became popular in southern England and along our East Coast and was thought to be quite proper and posh. That became Received Pronunciation.

In America the spread of industrialization shifted the power centers to the Midwest, which was largely settled by people of Scot-Irish heritage who still pronounced “r” as “r.”

:smuggy:

Au contraire—we ignorant colonial savages saved the true language of Northern Britain! :lol:

Yeh, but I'd bet most couldn't point out where Northern Britain was on a map, and lets not get started on the difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain & England, that usually just fries the brain of your average American, well certainly most of the ones I've ever met.  :lol:

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, but I'd bet most couldn't point out where Northern Britain was on a map, and lets not get started on the difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain & England, that usually just fries the brain of your average American, well certainly most of the ones I've ever met.  :lol:

The number of times I've been asked how Ireland's been treating me :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

I did have a conversation with someone in a bar in the US who told me with great sincerity that there’d be no peace in Britain until the British took their tanks off the streets of Dublin. Bearing in mind my first trip to the US was in the late 1990’s. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I did have a conversation with someone in a bar in the US who told me with great sincerity that there’d be no peace in Britain until the British took their tanks off the streets of Dublin. Bearing in mind my first trip to the US was in the late 1990’s. 

😬

Speaking of high levels of American intelligence, and back on topic . . .

The Entire Presidency Is a Superspreading Event: Down in the polls, high on steroids, and clinging to good health while endangering everyone else’s.

"I could be one of the diers," [Trump] said.

The person on the other end of the line couldn’t forget that unusual word the president used: dier. A seldom-said dictionary standard, it was a classic Trumpism, at once sinister and childlike. If being a loser was bad, being a dier was a lot worse. Losers can become winners again. Diers are losers forever. But aren’t we all diers in the end? Donald Trump, the least self-reflective man in America, was contemplating his own mortality.

Trump just said that the Mexico border wall is now 385 miles long and will soon be finished.

Yeh, ok Donald it's taken you 4 years to build 385 miles (most of which was already in place) so only another 1569 miles to go.

And what's it with the colour coordination of the crowd with the red hats and light blue t-shirts.

Last time I seen anything like that was in St. Peter's Square at an address by the Pope.

42 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Trump just said that the Mexico border wall is now 385 miles long and will soon be finished.

Yeh, ok Donald it's taken you 4 years to build 385 miles (most of which was already in place) so only another 1569 miles to go.

And what's it with the colour coordination of the crowd with the red hats and light blue t-shirts.

Last time I seen anything like that was in St. Peter's Square at an address by the Pope.

The Americans might or might not build the wall eventually, that remains to be seen.  

What is certain is that the Mexicans will never pay for it.

50 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The red hats are MAGA hats handed out at rallies etc. and the shirts I think represent the Republican blue wave, or at least Donalds idea of it.

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Me neither, but he has been rather quiet today. 

Ah, I see this isn't a new idea: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/trump-lose-2020-election-biden-polls-predictions-michael-cohen-b421047.html

Also just seen this: Trump personnel office weighs asking appointees to offer their resignations (https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/09/white-house-appointees-resignations-428412)

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

When I worked in the US people hearing my accent speculated I was from either New England or Australia.

Should have just said "That's really interesting because I'm from New Australia" and watched them getting confused. ;)

32 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I seem to have seen something like this before. Pence can possibly do the Pardon bit on Federal Crimes or Statutes, but if I hear them correctly SDNY want Trumps ass so bad there is nothing he can do to avoid prosecution and ideally a very public Trial.

7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I have been asked "where in England is Scotland?"

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

Jon Cooper is a hack.

SDNY stands for the Southern District of New York--the Southern Federal District, that is. So Pence's pardon would cover them, too. Their agreement isn't even required, and this is a completely made up story.

45 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

"And his children", WTF?

I don't believe the whole thing but let's say it were true. I would then suspect his children would indeed be involved in any resignation discussion.. I'm more than confident they have been fully aware of and even involved in some of his questionable activity. He would be looking for them to be pardoned as well.

While I don't believe this is true right now I feel there might be moves in that direction if he loses the election. If/when that happens he will have zero interest in the transfer of power in terms of the best interests of the county. Hell he has never had any interest in the best interests of the country.

After losing the election his major interest over the following two months will be how do I extricate myself from as much crooked shit as possible before they remove all power.

If he has even a semblance of a brain he must know that even more information concerning the extreme dysfunction and outright batshit craziness of his tenure will come to light. Some people are predicting a blizzard of pardons across many crimes in the final days.

I still don't know if he can actually pardon himself. And you have to wonder what's in it for Pence to take over during the final days just to pardon Trump?

What sort of legacy would that be when ever more detail of Trumps crooked activities come to light?

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Nonsense, imo.

He loves the attention, he loves the adulation, he loves the power.  He'll need to be dragged out of the White House regardless of how the voting goes in the election.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)