U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

I don't know how the US can recover from the disaster that is Trump. Domestically it might but internationally is a whole different problem. We have an international community who now know there are a huge swathe of people who would elect such a an idiot and frankly a deranged tyrant.

Are they ever going to forget that you did this once before, and have the capacity to do it again? How can we trust you with that huge swathe of people who would elect such a maniac?

It's going to take a massive effort to ever re-establish the trust they once had and for the US to recover the influence it once had.

Both China and India are going to surpass the US economically in the years ahead. It may be the case that the US will never recover the position of influence it had prior to this orange nutcase.

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't know how the US can recover from the disaster that is Trump. Domestically it might but internationally is a whole different problem. We have an international community who now know there are a huge swathe of people who would elect such a an idiot and frankly a deranged tyrant.

Are they ever going to forget that you did this once before, and have the capacity to do it again? How can we trust you with that huge swathe of people who would elect such a maniac?

It's going to take a massive effort to ever re-establish the trust they once had and for the US to recover the influence it once had.

Both China and India are going to surpass the US economically in the years ahead. It may be the case that the US will never recover the position of influence it had prior to this orange nutcase.

If he has 40% of the vote guaranteed, that doesn't put the population in a very good light. And how do you even start to change that. 

And when an even bigger facist with more charisma and skill comes along? 

Edited by ri Alban

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What sort of President doesn't have pets.(Not family and friends) Weirdo! 

The dog thing is even worse than you may imagine. Apparently the youngest son, Baron, had always wanted a dog but Trump declined because he doesn't like dogs. Probably deems them a waste of time, losers, what's in it for me to house and feed you.

But during the 2016 election campaign he promised the boy, who was 10 at the time, that if he were elected they would get a dog. Now it's well known he didn't think he would win, nobody did. But then when he did he declined to follow up on the dog promise. Massively disappointing a 10 year old.

Contrast that with his predecessor Obama who also wasn't keen on dogs. But when he was elected and soon after taking up residence in the White House the family got a Portuguese Water Dog puppy they called Bo.

And they still have Bo to this day, he's 11 now. Bo has been nicknamed "Bobama

Official White House portrait of BO.

Bo_official_portrait.jpg

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The dog thing is even worse than you may imagine. Apparently the youngest son, Baron, had always wanted a dog but Trump declined because he doesn't like dogs. Probably deems them a waste of time, losers, what's in it for me to house and feed you.

But during the 2016 election campaign he promised the boy, who was 10 at the time, that if he were elected they would get a dog. Now it's well known he didn't think he would win, nobody did. But then when he did he declined to follow up on the dog promise. Massively disappointing a 10 year old.

Contrast that with his predecessor Obama who also wasn't keen on dogs. But when he was elected and soon after taking up residence in the White House the family got a Portuguese Water Dog puppy they called Bo.

And they still have Bo to this day, he's 11 now. Bo has been nicknamed "Bobama

Official White House portrait of BO.

Bo_official_portrait.jpg

👍

First prezza for 150 years not to have a pet. Not even an Alligator, like some. :D

Yes, I watched an episode of QI. 

Edited by ri Alban

27 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Trump “I’ve done more for African Americans since Abraham Lincoln.”

:rofl:

He's done a great job on the coronavirus.  Let me think, only 181,000 dead and rising, "it is what it is".

Proposed no plan to deal with it, just  claimed done a great job.

Thought it was equally as funny when he said if you vote for Biden you're voting for chaos and violence on the streets. What???

REUTERS-kenosha-protests-jacob-blake-sho

The Real Maroonblood
49 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

He's done a great job on the coronavirus.  Let me think, only 181,000 dead and rising, "it is what it is".

Proposed no plan to deal with it, just  claimed done a great job.

Thought it was equally as funny when he said if you vote for Biden you're voting for chaos and violence on the streets. What???

REUTERS-kenosha-protests-jacob-blake-sho

I’m sure I’ve used every derogatory adjective to describe this cretin.

When I hear him he gives me the boak.

Not much of a debate on this thread for us neutrals, simply a roasting of Trump and America. It's almost like nobody in the USA supports him and his views which obviously isn't true. Even our many resident trolls appear to be steering clear of it.

2 hours ago, graygo said:

Not much of a debate on this thread for us neutrals, simply a roasting of Trump and America. It's almost like nobody in the USA supports him and his views which obviously isn't true. Even our many resident trolls appear to be steering clear of it.

The thing is though ....

I've been listening to a daily podcast from Axios and one this week was suggesting Trumo could win. In the same way that opinion polls in the UK always underestimated Tory voters who were too shy/ashamed to admit they would vote Tory so too the underbelly of bigotry, racism, selfishness and ignorance in the USA will turn out and vote for Trump. Said too that the Trump cultists are loud, vocal and very visible.

Ron Burgundy
2 hours ago, graygo said:

I'm pretty sure he has plenty of support but again to express support for him would be the signal for his opponents to throw the bigot/racist card.

I think he will might even win another term and possibly BLM have helped him do that.

It matters not a jot to me. A megalomaniac or a paedo who sniffs wee girls live on telly ( god knows what he'd do behind closed doors). 

I listened to him last night, the problems are all Bidens fault. What I don't understand Biden has only been the Democrats canditate for nomination for about six months, Trump has been the leader for over three years when all these troubles started. He accepts no responsibility for any of the problems. Think of all the things he has ben listed as doing or being part of. Mafia, income tax cheat, adultery on numerous occasions, racism, draft dodger, as in last night abuse of the tenancy of the White House and gardens, just a few and each one could have been a reason for loss of an eletion.

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

a paedo who sniffs wee girls live on telly

I’ve never heard of this before. He sounds like a Jimmy Savile type. Id love you to expand on that but I realise this a family forum. Id feel sick hearing about it anyway. 

Ron Burgundy
45 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I’ve never heard of this before. He sounds like a Jimmy Savile type. Id love you to expand on that but I realise this a family forum. Id feel sick hearing about it anyway. 

Just google it, plenty youtube vids of it. He is one creepy muddyfunster.

maroonlegions

And still no outrage or condemnation  from the Trump administration on the cold blooded murder of several blacks by Kyle Shittenhouse.   

I would even go further and  condemn his mother .

Take a good long look at these photos.

This is a young child, most of his brain isn’t developed and he doesn’t have the capacity to distinguish between actual love and racist brainwashing masquerading as parenting.

Kyle Rittenhouse is responsible for the deaths of innocent protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

But who created this monster? Who told him that Blue Lives Matter? Who put a long rifle in his hands as a baby—a weapon capable of taking dozens of lives in mere seconds. Who taught Kyle that Black Lives Matter less than broken windows?

Who taught Kyle that you solve your differences with weapons of war?

Who taught Kyle how to hate others he disagrees with?…

And then taught him how to hunt other humans….

There is no question Kyle Rittenhouse was radicalized for years by his mother, much like how ISIS ‘recruits’ vulnerable young desperate kids and then trains them how to hate the other and how to build bombs. ISIS takes healthy children and turns them into terrorists, much like Kyle’s mom.

I think   she should she be prosecuted alongside her son?

118650090_5085268391484098_1005872386522371845_n.jpg

118516792_5085268371484100_2784099846247242501_n.jpg

3 hours ago, RobboM said:

The thing is though ....

I've been listening to a daily podcast from Axios and one this week was suggesting Trumo could win. In the same way that opinion polls in the UK always underestimated Tory voters who were too shy/ashamed to admit they would vote Tory so too the underbelly of bigotry, racism, selfishness and ignorance in the USA will turn out and vote for Trump. Said too that the Trump cultists are loud, vocal and very visible.

Trump is trying to steal the election by screwing up USPS ability to deliver mail in votes, removal of mail boxes , remove polling stations (I saw one instance of a county with 500K voters but only one polling station) intimidation of voters (he has demanded police check ID of voters at polling stations but apparently the police have no such powers). The Democrats are urging everyone to get out and vote,  no matter what. 

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

If he has 40% of the vote guaranteed, that doesn't put the population in a very good light. And how do you even start to change that. 

And when an even bigger facist with more charisma and skill comes along? 

According to the latest fivethirtyeight poll, 42% of Americans approve of the job that Trump is doing.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

I've been following American politics since the Kennedy era, and I've never seen that country in such a mess.  Sure, there was considerable racial turmoil in the 1960s as Blacks marched and demonstrated for equal rights, and the Vietnam War produced massed anti-war demonstrations in the 1970s, but none of that compares to what is going on now.

The economy is in tatters, unemployment is sky-high, 180,000+ dead through a mishandled pandemic, racial tensions at a boiling point, major league sports events being cancelled, American allies losing trust in America, America's rivals gaining strength and confidence, the country split down ideological lines like never before, a President who lies on a daily basis with impunity, a President who spits in the face of democracy by making it more difficult for people to vote.

And 42% of Americans polled approve of the job he's doing!!!!!!!!!!! 

11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

According to the latest fivethirtyeight poll, 42% of Americans approve of the job that Trump is doing.

I've been following American politics since the Kennedy era, and I've never seen that country in such a mess.  Sure, there was considerable racial turmoil in the 1960s as Blacks marched and demonstrated for equal rights, and the Vietnam War produced massed anti-war demonstrations in the 1970s, but none of that compares to what is going on now.

The economy is in tatters, unemployment is sky-high, 180,000+ dead through a mishandled pandemic, racial tensions at a boiling point, major league sports events being cancelled, American allies losing trust in America, America's rivals gaining strength and confidence, the country split down ideological lines like never before, a President who lies on a daily basis with impunity, a President who spits in the face of democracy by making it more difficult for people to vote.

It's mad, but if that's their choice. It's their choice. And if he wins, he'll change the 2 term thing, anaw. 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

It's mad, but if that's their choice. It's their choice. And if he wins, he'll change the 2 term thing, anaw. 

He'll certainly want to.  It'll take a constitutional amendment, which is possible if he has a compliant Republican-majority Congress.  But, iirc, it needs a two-thirds vote in favour in both the House and the Senate, and that ain't likely to happen.

4 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Biden needs to come out today and fact check that lying clown's WH lawn speech. Show the buffoon up line by line.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53922706

People will believe him that's the problem- I've been in US for 2 and  a bit years and am astonished at his ability to lie and get away with it. 

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

From this side of the pond, that figure of 42% is astonishing, WTF is in the water over there, that over 4 in 10 Americans can be so fecked up in the heid that they think Trump is going a good job. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

You have to remember how much religion affects the way they live their lives and the decisions they make. It truly is a messed up, God fearing country.

SwindonJambo
12 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

You have to remember how much religion affects the way they live their lives and the decisions they make. It truly is a messed up, God fearing country.

I strongly get that impression. Atheism seems to be highly frowned upon there yet around a 1/3 of the UK is atheist (including me). Unless I'm mixing you up with another poster, IIRC you've said were born there so do you still get the vote? UK Subjects can still vote for up to 15 years after leaving the UK but there doesn't seem to be any such limit for the US.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
20 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I strongly get that impression. Atheism seems to be highly frowned upon there yet around a 1/3 of the UK is atheist (including me). Unless I'm mixing you up with another poster, IIRC you've said were born there so do you still get the vote? UK Subjects can still vote for up to 15 years after leaving the UK but there doesn't seem to be any such limit for the US.

Yes, I was born there. My dad was in the air force and met my mum while stationed in Edinburgh (rented the flat above her office). I've got dual nationality, can vote here, can't (as far as I'm aware) vote in US elections. My dad never voted in US electionsin the 30 odd years he lived here (died years ago).  He never took out British citizenship, do couldn't vote here. I took out British citizenship in the 80s and thought I gave up my US citizenship. Turned out George W Bush changed a law and got my US passport back. Which was nice.

Edit: I think it was W's dad that changed the law, H W Bush.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

SwindonJambo
7 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Yes, I was born there. My dad was in the air force and met my mum while stationed in Edinburgh (rented the flat above her office). I've got dual nationality, can vote here, can't (as far as I'm aware) vote in US elections. My dad never voted in US electionsin the 30 odd years he lived here (died years ago).  He never took out British citizenship, do couldn't vote here. I took out British citizenship in the 80s and thought I gave up my US citizenship. Turned out George W Bush changed a law and got my US passport back. Which was nice.

Something to watch out for (I'm sure you're aware anyway) is the double taxation thing, which actually caught out our esteemed US born PM, Baw Jaws a few years back. He sold a house in London and had to pay capital gains tax on it to the US tax authorities (I believe he actually stumped up). He renounced his US citizenship shortly afterwards.

11 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Except you're now probably due a **** load of tax to Old Glory. I certainly wouldn't let any banks know you have US citizenship. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

Except you're now probably due a **** load of tax to Old Glory. I certainly wouldn't let any banks know you have US citizenship. 

That was Obama that changed that law. I think it only kicks in if you pay less tax in the country you live in, compared to what you'd pay in the US. I pay more tax here, so I don't think it affects me.

If did they can whistle and I'd rescind my US passport, but I've been 2 or 3 times since they brought it in, no problems at all.

20 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

And maybe that is part of the reason we here in the UK can't get our heads around the way large sections of the American population think, in terms of their ideology over religion, guns and a thousand other things.   Some of them, it seems to me are stuck in a time warp.

maroonlegions

Trump's speech was aimed at his own kind.  This man is indeed "captain chaos". 

He has incited and poured petrol over the fire of racism.

If ever a person was needed now then this man would have been it.This man sussed out the "white moderates ", those who were neither racist or seen it as  good.But bought the cope of the "law and order" card used everytime by Trump. They are now playing on the fear aspect.

118641859_2899127283525687_6432390960866381527_o.jpg

Edited by maroonlegions

Just now, SwindonJambo said:

Something to watch out for (I'm sure you're aware anyway) is the double taxation thing, which actually caught out our esteemed US born PM, Baw Jaws a few years back. He sold a house in London and had to pay capital gains tax on it to the US tax authorities (I believe he actually stumped up). He renounced his US citizenship shortly afterwards.

Lot of that going on. I read a story about a woman who was a born US citizen but had been living in France for 30 years. Yet the US were still trying to tax her which she ultimately decided she couldn't afford so renounced US citizenship.

Simple solution you may think but this upset her. It was part of her identity they were forcing her to give up simply because she couldn't afford to continue paying substantial sums for it.

When people here in the US hear about citizens renouncing US citizenship they're viewed as almost traitors. As if they're doing this for mere spite which obviously isn't the case. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And maybe that is part of the reason we here in the UK can't get our heads around the way large sections of the American population think, in terms of their ideology over religion, guns and a thousand other things.   Some of them, it seems to me are stuck in a time warp.

I read somewhere, recently (might have been on here), in the US atheists are as trustworthy as paedophiles and murderers. :lol:

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Just now, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I read somewhere, recently (might have been on here), in the US atheists are as trustworthy as paedophiles and murderers. :lol:

Not quite accurate, deemed less trustworthy. They would elect a rapist, Trump may actually be in that category, before an admitted atheist. 

4 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

If I remember right, we've moved up the ladder a couple of rungs since that survey. :lol: But yeah, that's daily life as a nonbeliever in this country, especially in places like the South.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Not quite accurate, deemed less trustworthy. They would elect a rapist, Trump may actually be in that category, before an admitted atheist. 

2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

If I remember right, we've moved up the ladder a couple of rungs since that survey. :lol: But yeah, that's daily life as a nonbeliever in this country, especially in places like the South.

:rofl:

Here's a link https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28616115

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Tell me, Oklahoma is the worst. And never try turning their own logic around on them. People here on discovering I don't believe in their God or any God for that matter say "but why" 

I have sometimes replied with do you believe in leprechauns, unicorns, tooth fairies? The typical answer to that is no but that's just myths and fairy tales with no evidence. 

DING DING DING 

SwindonJambo

And right on cue, we are joined by a by a born and bred American, who just happens to be an atheist. You are a brave man, sir! I take it you keep it under your hat?

The Internet

The idea of coming out as an atheist and having folk shun you for it actually sounds like a comedy sketch. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

And right on cue, we are joined by a by a born and bred American, who just happens to be an atheist. You are a brave man, sir! I take it you keep it under your hat?

Cheers. I certainly don't go out of my way to broadcast it these days. I was a lot more outspoken in the years immediately following my "deconversion" but found some people would instantly change their behaviour towards me when they found out, distancing themselves. I believe I was passed over promotions at the place I worked at for nine years as it was common knowledge there, too, and the owner was super religious (and a big wig in the Arizona Republican Party). But I never pursued a case or anything. Maybe I was just shite.

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The idea of coming out as an atheist and having folk shun you for it actually sounds like a comedy sketch. 

I mean, go back a few decades and make it about Rangers and Catholics and it's more or less the same idea. :lol:

1 minute ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

A few years back there was a severe drought that had been blighting Texas for quite sometime. They asked everybody to pray for rain, no joy. Maybe they would have got around to asking the natives to try a rain dance, who knows.

But anyway, a bunch of atheists from all over the country gathered in Austin Texas for an atheist convention. Austin is known for being somewhat different from Texas in general, full of blaspheming heathens.

That night as they opened their convention the skies opened and the rain bucketed down. Which amused them all no end. Next time you need rain give us a call.

Keep also in mind that Donald Trump couldn't name a single Bible verse he liked, and referred to Paul's Second Epistle to the Corinthians as Two Corinthians, but because he held a Bible up outside that church after having protesters cleared out with tear gas, and claims he loves Jesus and hugs the flag, evangelicals the country over fall in line, starry eyed.

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

So America is as bad as the old firm for religious insanity 

:wow:

It's worse than I imagined. 

I think there is a difference, the vast majority of old firm bigots are not religious, they don't don't believe in Gods and don't really give the proverbial flying about any scripture. With them it's more like tribalism.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

A few years back there was a severe drought that had been blighting Texas for quite sometime. They asked everybody to pray for rain, no joy. Maybe they would have got around to asking the natives to try a rain dance, who knows.

But anyway, a bunch of atheists from all over the country gathered in Austin Texas for an atheist convention. Austin is known for being somewhat different from Texas in general, full of blaspheming heathens.

That night as they opened their convention the skies opened and the rain bucketed down. Which amused them all no end. Next time you need rain give us a call.

:lol: Brilliant.

Keep also in mind that Donald Trump couldn't name a single Bible verse he liked, and referred to Paul's Second Epistle to the Corinthians as Two Corinthians, but because he held a Bible up outside that church after having protesters cleared out with tear gas, and claims he loves Jesus and hugs the flag, evangelicals the country over fall in line, starry eyed.

Trump when asked for his favourite, "there's just so many" 🤣

You would think the idiot may have chosen and memorised one to reply to that with because it was asked on multiple occasions. But the great memory man couldn't, "Man woman, person, camera, TV"

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

So America is as bad as the old firm for religious insanity 

:wow:

It's worse than I imagined. 

Mind, all the lunatic, religious, outcasts, left the British isles for freedom to practice their (even more) fecked up beliefs. They, more or less, founded the US.

3 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Mind, all the lunatic, religious, outcasts, left the British isles for freedom to practice their (even more) fecked up beliefs. They, more or less, founded the US.

Absolutely. Puritans, Calvinists, various religious wackadoos came over here in droves. By the late 18th century we had thinkers who crafted a Constitution specifically to protect against their excesses. As you can see, it didn't work.

Absolutely. Puritans, Calvinists, various religious wackadoos came over here in droves. By the late 18th century we had thinkers who crafted a Constitution specifically to protect against their excesses. As you can see, it didn't work.

Quite comical isn't it. They emigrated to escape religious persecution. Then the moment they got settled in started practicing religious persecution.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)