U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

10 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

That could be accounted for I suppose by people like me who knew there had to be comedy sessions during the whole fiasco. There it was Screaming Lily, glossy eyed Don jr with the perspiration shining on his make up, and of course Donny senior prattling of with his verbal fiction. Makes the Ed Sullivan and all the other variety shows seem amateurish.

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

That could be accounted for I suppose by people like me who knew there had to be comedy sessions during the whole fiasco. There it was Screaming Lily, glossy eyed Don jr with the perspiration shining on his make up, and of course Donny senior prattling of with his verbal fiction. Makes the Ed Sullivan and all the other variety shows seem amateurish.

Really hoping so. What I fear is that it's because Trump's base are energised and roaring and raring to go in November, while next to no one is excited by anything the Democrats have shown they will offer.

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Sharpie said:

And ones like me, until I felt the dry boak acoming. 

1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

And ones like me, until I felt the dry boak acoming.

:lol: Avoiding that is exactly why I've stayed away

Pardons a bloke on live telly as part of a political statement.

Very possibly an abuse of presidential powers.

Meanwhile, a new video alleges that Trump offered blanket pardons for border staff who were following illegal orders coming from Trump's immigration policy

:fonzie:

18 minutes ago, Cade said:

Pardons a bloke on live telly as part of a political statement.

Very possibly an abuse of presidential powers.

Meanwhile, a new video alleges that Trump offered blanket pardons for border staff who were following illegal orders coming from Trump's immigration policy

:fonzie:

We are a clown show of a banana republic at this point.

It always Amazes me how foreign hating folk like Trump and Farage marry foreigners. A bit like bitter Orangemen marrying Catholics. Weird! 

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

It always Amazes me how foreign hating folk like Trump and Farage marry foreigners. A bit like bitter Orangemen marrying Catholics. Weird! 

They only hate poor foreigners. Even if they marry a poor foreigner,  she then becomes a rich foreigner and all is well.

The Internet
22 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

That lady actually scared me

I'd question anyone who isn't angry, scared or at least a little bit disturbed watching that. 

The scum of the earth sometimes let slip the truth to the world because they can't help themselves. 

One such person could not stop himself from being a Granddad. A second in time that tells all. 

Some of those that are on here to pull the wool over your eyes might know what I am talking about. if they have succeeded in pulling the wool over your eyes, you have not got the first idea. 

Anti-abortion activist Abby Johnson advocates a return to "household voting", where each household gets 1 vote.

Not only does this disenfranchise well over half the population, but she also declares that in a "godly household", the husband would be the one to pick who their household vote goes to.

She has previously said that police would be right to racially profile her own adopted black son over her white children because blacks are statistically more likely to be criminals.

Great parenting skills there.

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

https://twitter.com/AVindman/status/1298677043056521216

Vindman was the Lieutenant Colonel who testified before Congress, telling the truth, and was fired by Trump in response for so doing.

I really hope something good comes of it for this very decent man, and his brother.

This has simply always been Trumps modus operandi. In his shady business dealings he expected total and unquestioning loyalty to him regardless of whether he was involving an individual in immoral/questionable/illegal activities.

If they don't toe that line they're out. And given he obviously has zero respect for the office or democracy it's simply a continuance of lifelong habits. He operates a fuhrer style administration.

Vindman would be in a concentration camp if he could pull that off.

57 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

And liberate the 'good people' shooting them.

Exactly.

Leftists (not Democrats—actual leftists) have been saying since the start of the BLM movement that one of the primary reasons they want to defund the police is that they exist to protect property, not people. Re-establishing new forces that actually protect and serve citizens, not property interests, might then be possible.

On the heels of the events of last night, a big swath of the American right, taking its cues from Trump and shit like "when the looting starts, the shooting starts", has gone from arguing that police do help people (and mocking any evidence-based claims to the contrary as I was ranting about elsewhere), to just openly saying what some of us thought they believed all along—that cops and fascists have the right to kill you over property. The mask is well and truly all the way off, and it's bloody scary to be in this country right now.

28 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Exactly.

Leftists (not Democrats—actual leftists) have been saying since the start of the BLM movement that one of the primary reasons they want to defund the police is that they exist to protect property, not people. Re-establishing new forces that actually protect and serve citizens, not property interests, might then be possible.

On the heels of the events of last night, a big swath of the American right, taking its cues from Trump and shit like "when the looting starts, the shooting starts", has gone from arguing that police do help people (and mocking any evidence-based claims to the contrary as I was ranting about elsewhere), to just openly saying what some of us thought they believed all along—that cops and fascists have the right to kill you over property. The mask is well and truly all the way off, and it's bloody scary to be in this country right now.

Well my first thought when I heard about it is that the Democrats should be highlighting this. Surely it wouldn't be difficult to make Trump in particular look bad.

Something along the lines of well Donnie the shooting you promised has started. Two dead one wounded. Happy now? This is law and order?

How about throwing in some lynching Donnie? It amounts to the same thing. Right? 

The Kenosha Shooting Suspect Was In The Front Row Of A Trump Rally In January

Kyle Howard Rittenhouse’s social media presence is filled with him posing with weapons, posting “Blue Lives Matter,” and supporting Trump for president. Footage from the Des Moines, Iowa, rally on Jan. 30 shows Rittenhouse feet away from the president, in the front row, to the left of the podium.

9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Well my first thought when I heard about it is that the Democrats should be highlighting this. Surely it wouldn't be difficult to make Trump in particular look bad.

Something along the lines of well Donnie the shooting you promised has started. Two dead one wounded. Happy now? This is law and order?

How about throwing in some lynching Donnie? It amounts to the same thing. Right? 

As far as I have seen, Biden hasn't said anything about the Kenosha murders up to now. Pretty much convinced he is the worst presidential candidate in history at this point.

Meanwhile, in the media . . .

This is what passes for mainstream, right-leaning rhetoric here now. Continuing to push fiction about Democrats not maintaining order, and more than likely encouraging another half dozen people to go shoot more protesters. Pure stochastic terrorism.

Carlson is absolute scum.

Edited by Justin Z

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

As far as I have seen, Biden hasn't said anything about the Kenosha murders up to now. Pretty much convinced he is the worst presidential candidate in history at this point.

Meanwhile, in the media . . .

This is what passes for mainstream, right-leaning rhetoric here now. Continuing to push fiction about Democrats not maintaining order, and more than likely encouraging another half dozen people to go shoot more protesters. Pure stochastic terrorism.

Carlson is absolute scum.

I wonder if he's so stupid as to grasp the stupidity of that on countless fronts. Including bit not limited to, "maintain order"???

Is this maintaining order? Two dead one wounded? Is that what the police or 'anyone else' should have been doing? This 17 year old had to do the killing for them?

Alternatively he isn't that stupid, but is simply trying to fire up the Trumpets who are stupid to even further insanity. But he's now put Trump between something of a rock and a hard place.

This is effectively lynching using bullets instead of ropes. Does he think Trump should come out and praise this? As he did? Call this wannabe Rambo charged with first degree murder good people maybe? That's a good idea prior to an election he's looking set to lose?

Does anyone outside Trumpets want to live in a lynching society?

J.T.F.Robertson
32 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I wonder if he's so stupid as to grasp the stupidity of that on countless fronts. Including bit not limited to, "maintain order"???

Is this maintaining order? Two dead one wounded? Is that what the police or 'anyone else' should have been doing? This 17 year old had to do the killing for them?

Alternatively he isn't that stupid, but is simply trying to fire up the Trumpets who are stupid to even further insanity. But he's now put Trump between something of a rock and a hard place.

This is effectively lynching using bullets instead of ropes. Does he think Trump should come out and praise this? As he did? Call this wannabe Rambo charged with first degree murder good people maybe? That's a good idea prior to an election he's looking set to lose?

Does anyone outside Trumpets want to live in a lynching society?

Quiet! I'm listening to Kellyanne. :angry:

On 25/08/2020 at 15:05, Justin Z said:

I don't think that's anything to be concerned about. View from a single source and a very small fraction of total TV views.

C-SPAN's livestream of the first night of the Republican National Convention has attracted nearly 440,000 views, marking a substantial increase over the start of the Democratic National Convention, which drew 76,000 views.

Video primed to begin when Colbert gives the TV figures.

3 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Quiet! I'm listening to Kellyanne. :angry:

Her concern for her daughter's mental health issues didn't last long?

23 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Her concern for her daughter's mental health issues didn't last long?

Temporary insanity, it's all good now. She saw the crazy screaming woman at the Republican convention and thought wow, that's what crazy looks like. I'm fine.

Further evidence of how extremely dangerous it is to allow this man to preside over a nation. Any nation. The guy being interviewed here has known him for decades and will speak on how deeply embroiled, read compromised, Trump is due to long association with criminals both domestic and international, Russians.. Domestically we're talking Mafia here.

The criminality this man has been involved in is mind boggling. And that's just the criminality, not the treason.

Do you want a man who the Mafia have ties to, who they have dirt on, running your nation wherever you may be? Video published in 2018.

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Is there still enough time to get him on the list of speakers at the Republican Convention?

And people on the BLM thread talking about him and his supporters as if there's any kind of moral equivalency to boot.

:facepalm:

The Internet

Had to Google Ann Coulter, unsurprisingly she is described as far right. Feels like everyone who gets a mention anywhere is either far right or far left these days, both calling the other side liars, usually whilst lying, and just spewing hate and bile in general. Horrendous state of affairs. 

11 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Had to Google Ann Coulter, unsurprisingly she is described as far right. Feels like everyone who gets a mention anywhere is either far right or far left these days, both calling the other side liars, usually whilst lying, and just spewing hate and bile in general. Horrendous state of affairs. 

She's a far right wacko and the mainstream right in the US has never been so openly extreme far right as now. Trump has emboldened them to be their true selves in public rather than just in their heads. 

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The American far right, as JFK points out, is pretty mainstreamed now. And they make heroes out of people who murder protesters for having a different political opinion, namely that they want healthcare for all, or people not to be shot by cops who then receive retirement packages and reassignments instead of being imprisoned for murder. As we know, neither of these is a "far left" position.

There isn't an equivalency between the two here.

48 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

The American far right, as JFK points out, is pretty mainstreamed now. And they make heroes out of people who murder protesters for having a different political opinion, namely that they want healthcare for all, or people not to be shot by cops who then receive retirement packages and reassignments instead of being imprisoned for murder. As we know, neither of these is a "far left" position.

I rarely watch them in any 'discussion' because it isn't a discussion at all. Take Hannity as an example. He will invite someone of the opposite view to 'speak' on his show, then stops them speaking.

He will make a crazy point. The opposite number begins to rebut it, gets out a few words, and Hannity talks over him before he can even manage a sentence. No one can ever get in a complete sentence far less a point.

Baffles me why people bother giving him the chance to do that. They're only there to listen to him. You don't need to sit with him to do that.

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I rarely watch them in any 'discussion' because it isn't a discussion at all. Take Hannity as an example. He will invite someone of the opposite view to 'speak' on his show, then stops them speaking.

He will make a crazy point. The opposite number begins to rebut it, gets out a few words, and Hannity talks over him before he can even manage a sentence. No one can ever get in a complete sentence far less a point.

Baffles me why people bother giving him the chance to do that. They're only there to listen to him. You don't need to sit with him to do that.

Yeah, that's called Gish galloping and it's common among American right wing media personalities.

2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

She's a far right wacko and the mainstream right in the US has never been so openly extreme far right as now. Trump has emboldened them to be their true selves in public rather than just in their heads. 

She hasn't been very prominent lately, but the last time I heard her speak she was in the anti-Trump camp.

She doesn't think that he's conservative enough!!!!

maroonlegions

Once again it seems that Trump's racist rhetoric has emboldened the far right and lead to carnage :

The Kenosha Shooting Suspect Was In The Front Row Of A Trump Rally In January.

US law enforcement riddled with racists.

White supremacists and militias have infiltrated police across US, report says.

Edited by maroonlegions

Drumpf speech to last an hour from WH lawn.  I can't imagine the torture of listening to that rambling half-wit for an hour. 

4 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Drumpf speech to last an hour from WH lawn.  I can't imagine the torture of listening to that rambling half-wit for an hour. 

And yet people say he's entertaining, that the TV channels like him in some respect because he gets viewers. And I can barely listen to him.

Even beforehand I know it's going to be a heap of disjointed semi literate gibberish and that neither entertains me nor can hold my attention.

Maybe it's more akin to the phenomena of people slowing down on a motorway to ogle a mass pile up on the opposite carriageway. 

7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

That's been commented on during many a discussion I have watched. The left has produced no equivalents of Hannity, Alex Jones, Limbaugh etc.

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That's been commented on during many a discussion I have watched. The left has produced no equivalents of Hannity, Alex Jones, Limbaugh etc.

Or, of Kyle Rittenhouse.

Trump frequently accuses the far-left of inciting violence, yet right-wing extremists have killed 329 victims in the last 25 years, while antifa members haven't killed any, according to a new study

There is no comparison.

• New research, based on almost 900 politically-motivated plots and murders in the US since 1994, found only one person's death in the last 25 years was linked to "antifa" or anti-fascists, and the person who died was the attacker.
  • In comparison, over that same period, 329 murders were linked to the far-right.
  • When the label was broadened from anti-fascists to left-wing violence, it found 21 victims had been killed since 2010, compared to 117 in right-wing violence in the same time period.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
21 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

There's just no equivalency at all now. The "they're all as bad as each other" complaint hasn't been relevant for years. 

5 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

There is Michael Moore but he's not anything like as ubiquitous as those Trump ramjets. 

Michael Moore is no equivalent to the names being mentioned here. You would never see him praise murder on the streets. Moore is entirely rational and entirely reality based. The far right figures being mentioned here are not.

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Michael Moore is no equivalent to the names being mentioned here. You would never see him praise murder on the streets. Moore is entirely rational and entirely reality based. The far right figures being mentioned here are not.

I used to enjoy Moore's shows way back when he was a lesser known liberal voice. The far right are now deeply entrenched in American culture via these loudmouths and social media to the point Trump is guaranteed a voting base of 35-40% in November whatever he says or does. If covid helps get rid of the corrupt madman it will be the one plus from it.

Film from the White House Gardens on just now. 2000 people, no self distancing, very few masks, the medical community going nuts. Not really a Convention thing per se, actually just another Trump rally. How he makes Biden responsible for all of the present happenings, he is the President, he doesn't seem to appreciate that when you are interviewed for a job and you say you can do the job, you better hope you are able to, because as the saying goes the buck stops here and thats you.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)