U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Unknown user
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Can I ask the Antifa Brigade. 

Why don't you protest on Russia, China, N Korea, and other like minded government controlled countries? 

No let's wreak havok in countries that allow protest and population freedom. And when such havok causes the authorities to rain fire with chibs and rubber bullets. 

We were only singing, honest! 

Are you asking why people in America aren't protesting in China?

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Are you asking why people in America aren't protesting in China?

No, I'm asking why there's no Antifa in China and Russia. Big brave folk. There's plenty in America and the UK, where there  doesn't seem to be that much fascism. Get together and go to N Korea and start some marches there. Organise the population! Don't you agree? No I didn't think so, fascist America and Britain is where I'd protest anaw. 

Edited by ri Alban

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No, I'm asking why there's no Antifa in China and Russia. Big brave folk. There's plenty in America and the UK, where there  doesn't seem to be that much fascism. Get together and go to N Korea and start some marches there. Organise the population! Don't you agree? No I didn't think so, fascist America and Britain is where I'd protest anaw. 

I tend not to commute thousands of miles to protest myself, it's hardly hypocritical.

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

I tend not to commute thousands of miles to protest myself, it's hardly hypocritical.

What, who needs to commute? Internet, wait a minute... These bastions of freedom, don't allow Internet. Well, in most part. 

Antifa wouldn't know what fascism is, if it hit them in the face, the scummy little fascist fecks. I'd set the dogs on them.

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Antifa wouldn't know what fascism is, if it hit them in the face, the scummy little fascist fecks. I'd set the dogs on them.

:pleasing:

I watched his press conference today where a reporter asked him about the 162,000 American COVID deaths.

He said that his administration has done a good job, otherwise there would have been 1.5 million to two million deaths.

I mean, if you're going to make up bullshit numbers, pick a really impressive one.  "If it hadn't been for me, there would have been 100 million American COVID deaths."  That's much better.

18 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I watched his press conference today where a reporter asked him about the 162,000 American COVID deaths.

He said that his administration has done a good job, otherwise there would have been 1.5 million to two million deaths.

I mean, if you're going to make up bullshit numbers, pick a really impressive one.  "If it hadn't been for me, there would have been 100 million American COVID deaths."  That's much better.

Would be great if they could probe further and say can you describe anything you and all the Smithers standing there with you did that helped anything?

Besides repeatedly telling us it's just like flu and that it's going to disappear "like a miracle"

Incidentally are miracles still plan A?

Of course the orange idiot would waffle some further dimwittery that amounted to nothing and simply walk away.

I saw Anthony Scaramucci who was fired by Trump after being White House Communications Director for just 11 days make a good point recently.

He said that all these 'Smithers' around Trump are actually detrimental not just for the nation but for Trump too. That they really should have the rationality to dissuade him from some of the absolute crazed stupidity he talks. But they don't.

He mentioned the very first day of the administration as an example. Trumps lies about it being the biggest crowd ever for his inauguration, much bigger than Obama, when that was patently utter stupidity everybody could see was a lie.

frlgj0t7yway.png

Scaramucci said that instead of this frankly crazy lie everybody could see was a crazy lie they could have just went out and said that there were millions more watching online than for the Obama inauguration. Therefore more people.

At least plausible, probably difficult or even impossible to check,  and doesn't make them look like nuts on day one. But they wouldn't do it, If Trump says to them that there were aliens watching then they will go out and say there were aliens watching. Never a shred of moderation or deviance from whatever he says.

And this is exactly why Scaramucci was fired after just 11 days. He couldn't bring himself to look like a total nutcase. He questioned the insanity behind the scenes. And was thrown out. 

We're going to be discovering so much more mind boggling stupidity when he's out of there. The  drinking bleach comment will look rational in comparison. I can't wait.

Even if he were to avoid jail I see him melting down because there will be no need for anyone to support his mindless babble or to pretend he's so great anymore.

He's going to be the joke of the century to this stage and being laughed at is one  of his greatest fears. That thin skin is going to be in tatters no matter what happens.

Incidentally in the video above there is a clip of Trump at a recent press conference. He is seen saying.

"We have been working on so hard, namely the corona, uh, (long pause) you can call it so many different names"

WTF 🤣

This link is primed to start just before that.

i see he is considering banning US citizens from returning to the USA if they have or are suspected to have covid 19. This might even be don to the judgement of the border official, so if they dont like the look of you nope you are not getting in

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

The 1917 flu pandemic brought about the end of the Second World War. 

All because the soldiers were too sick to fight, apparently. 

This follows on the heels of his "Thighland" comment, and his "Yo-semite" gaffe. 

I think that all doubt has now been removed.  That buffoon is an ignoramus.

Not only did he get the wrong war, but the Spanish Flu did not cause the end of the Great War either.

Every nation was at breaking point even before the flu hit.
Russians had had their own revolution.

French army had mutinied.

Germany was on the brink of starvation and eventually had its own revolution.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Not only did he get the wrong war, but the Spanish Flu did not cause the end of the Great War either.

Every nation was at breaking point even before the flu hit.
Russians had had their own revolution.

French army had mutinied.

Germany was on the brink of starvation and eventually had its own revolution.

Correct.

But in order for Trump to know any of that he would have to have read a book at some point in his life.

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

It's the way to fulfill his 'dream' of getting his face on Mount Rushmore.

cg597ab3d24ee83.jpg

:lol:

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Kamala Harris is Biden's running mate.  Good choice.  :thumb:

I agree. Ticks all the right boxes. Hopefully the Dems now have enough to bring the 4 year horror show to an end.

36 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Kamala Harris is Biden's running mate.  Good choice.  :thumb:

Not sure the Democratic establishment could have shit any harder on communities of colour than first, picking one of the fathers of the modern day carceral state that is America, and its disproportionate negative effects on minorities, and then, him choosing the prosecutor princess who destroyed lives to further her career, as his running mate.

Meanwhile they're letting Trump hit them from the left by pissing around with the Covid relief bill, so Trump, who has zero cohesive policy foundation, can just make up executive orders idiocracy populism style.

Absolutely incredible how out-of-touch and how not for-the-people the Dems have been since Carter (New Labour faintly mirrored these developments), and thanks to our capitulation of lesser-of-two-evils voting, it's getting progressively worse with each election cycle.

I think they've just signed America's death warrant and guaranteed Trump for at least four more years, and I say at least because I imagine he will make a play for abolishing or just flat out ignoring term limits.

Edited by Justin Z

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Not sure the Democratic establishment could have shit any harder on communities of colour than first, picking one of the fathers of the modern day carceral state that is America, and its disproportionate negative effects on minorities, and then, him choosing the prosecutor princess who destroyed lives to further her career, as his running mate.

Meanwhile they're letting Trump hit them from the left by pissing around with the Covid relief bill, so Trump, who has zero cohesive policy foundation, can just make up executive orders idiocracy populism style.

Absolutely incredible how out-of-touch and how not for-the-people the Dems have been since Carter (New Labour faintly mirrored these developments), and thanks to our capitulation of lesser-of-two-evils voting, it's getting progressively worse with each election cycle.

Unlike you all, I think they've just signed America's death warrant and guaranteed Trump for at least four more years, and I say at least because I imagine he will make a play for abolishing or just flat out ignoring term limits.

I take it you don't like the Democratic ticket!  :biggrin2:

I doubt if the average American voter cares about the things you've highlighted.  They'll vote according to party loyalty or gut feel.  I've always felt that the election will be decided by the independent voters, and I feel that they're more likely to vote for Biden/Harris than Trump/Pence, and Biden/Harris is much more appealing than Clinton/Kaine was in 2016, who only lost by a whisker.

We'll see in November.  In any event, the die is now cast.

SwindonJambo
20 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Unlike you all, I think they've just signed America's death warrant and guaranteed Trump for at least four more years, and I say at least because I imagine he will make a play for abolishing or just flat out ignoring term limits.

"New Labour" won 3 consecutive General Elections (2 by a landslide) and remained in power for 13 years so they can't have been that out of touch. "Old Labour" last won an election 46 years ago. There have been 11 General Elections since then, 6 won outright by the Tories, 2 in which they were the biggest party and the remaining 3 "New Labour". 

Those are the facts. The art of winning an election is all about compromise, winning the middle ground and attracting votes from marginal voters for the opposing side. The end result is that people have to hold their noses to a degree.

Biden and Harris sound far from saintly but surely to goodness they're a better bet than Trump and Pence?

Whoever wins has to come with a huge risk of failing to complete his term so for me the spotlight is firmly on the 2 deputies.

Edited by SwindonJambo

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I take it you don't like the Democratic ticket!  :biggrin2:

I doubt if the average American voter cares about the things you've highlighted.  They'll vote according to party loyalty or gut feel.  I've always felt that the election will be decided by the independent voters, and I feel that they're more likely to vote for Biden/Harris than Trump/Pence, and Biden/Harris is much more appealing than Clinton/Kaine was in 2016, who only lost by a whisker.

We'll see in November.  In any event, the die is now cast.

Haha, you got that right.

I can't in good conscience, as a former criminal defence lawyer, vote for a ticket that has someone like Kamala Harris on it. You have seen me rip absolute **** out of Trump on this thread, and I had just about convinced myself to not just hold my nose—but projectile vomit for hours—and vote for Biden, but now that Harris is here? Zero percent chance.

No photo description available.

I am one of those independent voters, and the Democratic establishment continues to take us for granted at their and our country's peril.

16 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

"New Labour" won 3 consecutive General Elections (2 by a landslide) and remained in power for 13 years so they can't have been that out of touch. "Old Labour" last won an election 46 years ago. There have been 11 General Elections since then, 6 won outright by the Tories, 2 in which they were the biggest party and the remaining 3 "New Labour".

Yeah, they moved so far right that they're now literally dead in Scotland and handed the keys to the Tories at a time when they seized an opportunity to visit punishing austerity on the country leading to thousands of deaths.

Borat - Great success - Instant Sound Effect Button | Myinstants

So glad they "compromised". Now what was "centre-right" a generation ago is "left-wing." Hopefully they'll compromise and get elected again and make an even greater mockery of Keir Hardie's memory and fundamental ideals.

10 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I can't in good conscience, as a former criminal defence lawyer, vote for a ticket that has someone like Kamala Harris on it. You have seen me rip absolute **** out of Trump on this thread, and I had just about convinced myself to not just hold my nose—but projectile vomit for hours—and vote for Biden, but now that Harris is here? Zero percent chance.

I am one of those independent voters, and the Democratic establishment continues to take us for granted at their and our country's peril.

Fair enough.  But few people are former defence lawyers, so the electorate in general might have a different perspective. 

People also tend to have short memories.  Despite her questionable record as a prosecutor in California, she went on to win a seat in the Senate, demonstrating that she can win elections.  That's a plus for Biden.

Unknown user
19 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

If you can't vote for Harris, at least vote against Trump, the greater evil is obvious.

Just now, Smithee said:

If you can't vote for Harris, at least vote against Trump, the greater evil is obvious.

See I'm both unconvinced that it is, because at this exact moment I have less than zero faith that voting can change anything, and, I don't buy the idea that a vote for anyone else is a vote for Trump.

My vote ought to need to be earned, not extracted from me with fear as the stick to do it.

If everyone that threw their vote away on Libertarian last time had voted Democrat, Clinton would have won.

That is a fact.

Two party systems are a farce and actively harm democracy but as the office of President is not filled by proportional representation and it's a winner takes all semi dictator role, hold your nose and vote for one of the two big parties.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

If everyone that threw their vote away on Libertarian last time had voted Democrat, Clinton would have won.

That is a fact.

No, it is not, and it's about as anti-factual as you can get, because plenty of people who would've otherwise voted for Trump "threw their vote away" on a Libertarian. There is no universe in which they would've voted for Clinton. Please don't make shit up.

Edited by Justin Z

Imagine being Elizabeth Warren right now. You could've dropped out, thrown your energy and weight behind the remaining progressive candidate in the race, and likely been chosen as his vice president, or at least a high cabinet position, when he won the primary and the guaranteed election. Instead, because you're a fake progressive opportunist, you did the bidding of the Democratic establishment, contributed your part in rigging the remainder of the primary, and now you're sitting at home on the day the nominee's VP was announced wondering where it all went wrong. Well the answer, Liz, is she's an even bigger opportunist than you, and the absolute worst choice for the people, so since the Democratic establishment was always going to pander to IdPol appearances instead of choosing someone who represents the values and needs of their diverse constituency, they chose her.

🚮

SwindonJambo
29 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Yeah, they moved so far right that they're now literally dead in Scotland and handed the keys to the Tories at a time when they seized an opportunity to visit punishing austerity on the country leading to thousands of deaths.

Borat - Great success - Instant Sound Effect Button | Myinstants

So glad they "compromised". Now what was "centre-right" a generation ago is "left-wing." Hopefully they'll compromise and get elected again and make an even greater mockery of Keir Hardie's memory and fundamental ideals.

It's a completely different country from Keir Hardie's time. Scotland only has 59 seats out of the 650 total in Westminster. I certainly don't agree with everything New Labour did, but they remain the only party to have been in power in the UK other than the Tories since 1979. Whenever Labour have lurched to the left, as they did in 1983 under Michael Foot and 2015 under Corbyn, they've been thrashed at the polls. You may not like it, but it's true.

New Labour weren't perfect but I'd certainly take them over the Tories every day of the week.

Unfortunately if Scotland does go its own way as seems very possible, we're pretty much guaranteed Tory Governments for ever more here.

11 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Unfortunately if Scotland does go its own way as seems very possible, we're pretty much guaranteed Tory Governments for ever more here.

True. That.

SwindonJambo
9 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

True. That.

Where I live, a tailor's dummy in a blue rosette would win. As far as I know, no-one else has ever held the seat. It voted strongly remain in the Brexit referendum but even that made no difference.

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

No, it is not, and it's about as anti-factual as you can get, because plenty of people who would've otherwise voted for Trump "threw their vote away" on a Libertarian. There is no universe in which they would've voted for Clinton. Please don't make shit up.

Whilst it's true there's not a hope in hell all the Libertarians would have voted for Clinton if there was no Libertarian option, in fact I'd wager it'd probably be a 50/50 split if that, it's still not factually incorrect to say that if all the Libertarians had voted for Clinton, she'd have won. 

It's just that it's akin to saying if all the NRA members voted for Clinton, she'd have won. It's just not going to be an option. 

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

See I'm both unconvinced that it is, because at this exact moment I have less than zero faith that voting can change anything, and, I don't buy the idea that a vote for anyone else is a vote for Trump.

My vote ought to need to be earned, not extracted from me with fear as the stick to do it.

Your not that important. If you don't vote for Biden, you're a Trump enabler and have no right to any further opinion on how he runs your country. 

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Whilst it's true there's not a hope in hell all the Libertarians would have voted for Clinton if there was no Libertarian option, in fact I'd wager it'd probably be a 50/50 split if that, it's still not factually incorrect to say that if all the Libertarians had voted for Clinton, she'd have won.

Agreed, but that's why I said "anti-factual". It's something technically true that's so removed from reality it's complete nonsense anyhow :lol:

2 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

It's just that it's akin to saying if all the NRA members voted for Clinton, she'd have won. It's just not going to be an option. 

:rofl: Perfect!

I think in this instance since one of only two can actually win, and the imperative is to remove the orange loony tune, any vote not cast for Biden can only hinder that imperative.

9 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Warren was by far the most qualified  (and probably best) candidate but Harris ticked the box that matters. 

Warren probably most qualified but not the best. A polarising character like Hilary is for many people. 

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think in this instance since one of only two can actually win, and the imperative is to remove the orange loony tune, any vote not cast for Biden can only hinder that imperative.

Correct. Biden may not be the best president that the US ever gets but trump has demonstrated that he's definitely among the worst. Change can only be good. 

30 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Warren probably most qualified but not the best. A polarising character like Hilary is for many people. 

Already chat about her getting the treasury gig should Biden win

2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Was she the one he was calling Pocahontas?

Oh well, at least this came of it.

Tucker Carlson Gets Corrected To His Face on Live TV And REALLY Doesn't Like It

“This is something that will serve you and your fellow hosts on Fox,” Goodstein said. “Her name is pronounced ‘comma’ ― like the punctuation mark ― ‘-la.’ Kamala.”

“OK,” Carlson said. “So what?” 

Goodstein replied that saying someone’s name correctly is “kind of a bare minimum” when it comes to showing respect. 

. . .

Then he tried out her name two different ways before settling on “whatever” for the vice presidential candidate: “So, it begins. You’re not allowed to criticize Kamala Harris, or Kamala Harris, or whatever.”

“It’s not ‘whatever,’” Goodstein said.

This is who Trump cultists want to run for President in 2024.

34 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah. Treasury, or Senate Majority Leader for her I think.

The President isn't involved in choosing the Senate Majority Leader because of Separation of Powers issues.

We'll see what other favours are doled out for kneecapping Sanders / doing the bidding of the establishment. Andrew Yang didn't even get invited to speak at the Democratic Convention after having endorsed Biden, and Warren didn't endorse anybody until after Sanders dropped out.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)