U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

10 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

'BUILD THAT WALL'.

In 2016 it was vitally important, or so he said.  And Mexico was going to pay for it, or so he said. But they haven't built a wall, and Mexico laughed at Trump for his suggestion.

Now they've found yet another tunnel, which makes the notion of a wall laughable.  He's an idiot.

It was always a retarded concept and think of how stupid you would have to be to elect someone on this even if it were realistic. No wall, no Hillary locked up.

That was effectively all he ran with. Build that wall, lock her up. The stupidity of these people is mind boggling.

And this time that wont play so well. It looks like this time all he has is a claim that the election is rigged. That's a policy the country should vote for?

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

It was always a retarded concept and think of how stupid you would have to be to elect someone on this even if it were realistic. No wall, no Hillary locked up.

That was effectively all he ran with. Build that wall, lock her up. The stupidity of these people is mind boggling.

And this time that wont play so well. It looks like this time all he has is a claim that the election is rigged. That's a policy the country should vote for?

You've forgot about 'Drain the swamp'.

Tbf he's done that, however he never mentioned to his brainwashed numpty's that him, his family and his lackies were going to reoccupy the drained swamp.

In the coming years it would not surprise me that Donald John Trump turns out to be the biggest 'swamp monster' of them all.

On 04/08/2020 at 07:06, DETTY29 said:

Surely to God this is fake.

If the Americans want to get rid of Trump this is the way the press have to handle him. Don’t let him dominate the narrative and question everything. You can call him an idiot all you want but he’s managed to bring everyone down to his level and the press have been complicit in this. Anyway let’s hope Allan Lichtman is right as usual. 

His blatant lie about signing into law an act passed in 2014 and just walking out when exposed is highly disturbing whatever way you look at it.  Is Trump actually sane?

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You've forgot about 'Drain the swamp'.

Tbf he's done that, however he never mentioned to his brainwashed numpty's that him, his family and his lackies were going to reoccupy the drained swamp.

In the coming years it would not surprise me that Donald John Trump turns out to be the biggest 'swamp monster' of them all.

Trump has enriched himself while as President.  

When Trump goes to play golf at one of his resorts, which he's done a couple of hundred times, a large entourage goes along with him ... aides, secret service, military people, etc. ... and they all stay at Trump's resort, paid for by the US government.  Trump might like golf, but the reason he plays so much is that his resorts rake in a few million $$ each time.

I've also read that when foreign dignitaries and diplomats come to the US on official government business, they stay at Trump hotels.

All of this is in violation of the Emoluments Clauses, there are two, in the US Constitution.  But he has never been pulled up for it by any lawmaker or law enforcement officer.  President Teflon, again.

42 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

His blatant lie about signing into law an act passed in 2014 and just walking out when exposed is highly disturbing whatever way you look at it.  Is Trump actually sane?

No. And neither are any of his 100 million plus supporters. That's a lot of foolishness.

Just now, EH11_2NL said:

No. And neither are any of his 100 million plus supporters. That's a lot of foolishness.

How did that country become a 20trillion economy when it is clearly full of so many half-wits? Trump is now fully trashing the place btw, the institutions, the commerce and reputation are in tatters. 

46 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Who knows?  What is certain is that he's a liar and a babbling idiot.  If you listened to him making that announcement about veterans benefits, he barely used a coherent sentence.

2 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

If the Americans want to get rid of Trump this is the way the press have to handle him. Don’t let him dominate the narrative and question everything. You can call him an idiot all you want but he’s managed to bring everyone down to his level and the press have been complicit in this. Anyway let’s hope Allan Lichtman is right as usual. 

John Sopel was plugging his book on 5L earlier in the week and was saying irrespective of what you think of BBC, SKY, CHANNEL 4, LBC etc they do allow folk on with differing opinions to debate.

In the US, it's pick a side at channel level and that channel becomes a propaganda machine.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/111/1117682/a-year-at-the-circus/9781785944390.html

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

John Sopel was plugging his book on 5L earlier in the week and was saying irrespective of what you think of BBC, SKY, CHANNEL 4, LBC etc they do allow folk on with differing opinions to debate.

In the US, it's pick a side at channel level and that channel becomes a propaganda machine.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/111/1117682/a-year-at-the-circus/9781785944390.html

CNN has kind of went that way I agree. They still have Trump surrogates on but not as many as there used to be, a few got fired for being total disgraces. Trump barbie doll Kayleigh McEnany used to be a regular on CNN. 

9 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

How did that country become a 20trillion economy when it is clearly full of so many half-wits? Trump is now fully trashing the place btw, the institutions, the commerce and reputation are in tatters. 

One of the reasons is that their voting system is archaic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Electoral_College

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Trump has enriched himself while as President.  

When Trump goes to play golf at one of his resorts, which he's done a couple of hundred times, a large entourage goes along with him ... aides, secret service, military people, etc. ... and they all stay at Trump's resort, paid for by the US government.  Trump might like golf, but the reason he plays so much is that his resorts rake in a few million $$ each time.

I've also read that when foreign dignitaries and diplomats come to the US on official government business, they stay at Trump hotels.

All of this is in violation of the Emoluments Clauses, there are two, in the US Constitution.  But he has never been pulled up for it by any lawmaker or law enforcement officer.  President Teflon, again.

Exactly, and little to nothing gets said about it all.

You'd think the media would be all over it, highlighting how much Trump has either cost the US or has enriched himself & family.

crunchy frog

I sometimes wonder if his kids think he's as much of a wankblanket as the rest of the world does

Edited by crunchy frog

3fingersreid
1 minute ago, crunchy frog said:

I sometimes wonder if his kids think he's as much of a total wankblanket as the rest of the world does

The old adage that the fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree will apply to them , they’ll think he’s normal 

crunchy frog
5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

The old adage that the fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree will apply to them , they’ll think he’s normal 

I'm sure when we were all growing up our parents said or did things that mortified us but I'd wager they'll be cutting about with a permanent beamer 🙄

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Who knows?  What is certain is that he's a liar and a babbling idiot.  If you listened to him making that announcement about veterans benefits, he barely used a coherent sentence.

I watched this and then disappearing up his own arse when challenged by the reporter. He repeated himself over and over and spoke like he was on benzos. Why oh why don't Americans want to face the reality of it? 

10 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

I watched this and then disappearing up his own arse when challenged by the reporter. He repeated himself over and over and spoke like he was on benzos. Why oh why don't Americans want to face the reality of it? 

Because the reality of Joe Biden is almost as bad. 

I agree. The quality of candidates in both parties is awful. Hard to believe the Dems don't have anyone better.

38 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

I agree. The quality of candidates in both parties is awful. Hard to believe the Dems don't have anyone better.

They do.  But even the Dems are not ready to put forward a black woman as their candidate for Prez.

EDIT:  Not ready to put forward ANY woman, much less a Black woman.  Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, or Susan Rice would all be much better candidates than Biden.

I'm presuming their chosen candidate is whoever they think will get the most votes. Whoever that may be that's obviously the best candidate for removing the curse of Trump which is the major objective.

As for Biden whatever his flaws may be we can be assured he will be a rational actor who will form a sane, functional, competent administration. Unlike the rudderless, meandering, chaotic, conspiracy wacko craziness of the Trump gang.

Biden will likely focus on a few pet projects or so to form something of a legacy while largely leaving the big machine in the hands of reliable professional people.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm presuming their chosen candidate is whoever they think will get the most votes. Whoever that may be that's obviously the best candidate for removing the curse of Trump which is the major objective.

As for Biden whatever his flaws may be we can be assured he will be a rational actor who will form a sane, functional, competent administration. Unlike the rudderless, meandering, chaotic, conspiracy wacko craziness of the Trump gang.

Biden will likely focus on a few pet projects or so to form something of a legacy while largely leaving the big machine in the hands of reliable professional people.

I dont know what to expect of Biden but it's hard to imagine someone worse than President Dunning-Kruger.

Edited by Smithee

I had a flash of inspiration this morning while mulling over the ridiculousness that is Trump and his crusades, and wrote an opinion piece about American Conservatism needing enemies to sustain itself. It's short for an article type thing. Thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

A snippet:

The fundamental problem with this fundamental need for enemies to sustain a political philosophy is that when they don’t actually exist, they must be created from thin air to continue to energize the masses. To wit, Antifa. In actuality: a loose group who think fascism is bad and aren’t afraid to say so. In Trump fever dreams: a domestic terror organization intent on a Marxist takeover of hated America.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I had a flash of inspiration this morning while mulling over the ridiculousness that is Trump and his crusades, and wrote an opinion piece about American Conservatism needing enemies to sustain itself. It's short for an article type thing. Thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

A snippet:

The fundamental problem with this fundamental need for enemies to sustain a political philosophy is that when they don’t actually exist, they must be created from thin air to continue to energize the masses. To wit, Antifa. In actuality: a loose group who think fascism is bad and aren’t afraid to say so. In Trump fever dreams: a domestic terror organization intent on a Marxist takeover of hated America.

Hey you've got a touch of the Pirlos you big stud you

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

A snippet:

I’ve not read the piece yet (I will though as I like your posts) but I had to double take you weren’t actually Dave Ghrol in that wee picture 

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Hey you've got a touch of the Pirlos you big stud you

5 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

I’ve not read the piece yet (I will though as I like your posts) but I had to double take you weren’t actually Dave Ghrol in that wee picture 

EGDmCdR.gif You guys!

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Been pestering governor of South Dakota for the last 3 years to get his orange puss on Mount Rushmore.

Apparently so, the egotistic narcissism is mind boggling given actual accomplished presidents like FDR, JFK etc aren't on it.

White House reached out to South Dakota governor about adding Trump to Mount Rushmore

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

EGDmCdR.gif You guys!

I had you pegged as better looking than that tbh. I hope I'm not as underwhelmed by your wee polemic when I get around to giving it a cursory scan.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Unknown user
58 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I had you pegged as better looking than that tbh. I hope I'm not as underwhelmed by your wee polemic when I get around to giving it a cursory scan.

Yeah yeah, bluster and twaddle! There's no way that *****'s meeting my Mrs, she'll be on it like a car bonnet.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yeah yeah, bluster and twaddle! There's no way that *****'s meeting my Mrs, she'll be on it like a car bonnet.

Don't sell yourself short, Herr Schmit. 

With a fellow like you on her arm, I'd hazard that your good lady wouldn't give Diz-gustin Z more than a cursory glance out of politeness.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Don't sell yourself short, Herr Schmit. 

With a fellow like you on her arm, I'd hazard that your good lady wouldn't give Diz-gustin Z more than a cursory glance out of politeness.

Quite right, Gov. And uh, thanks for bringing my head back down out of the clouds, but did you need to do it quite so . . . bluntly? 😬

4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

A snippet:

I jizzed my onesie. 

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

thanks for bringing my head back down out of the clouds,

You're welcome, mate. It's amongst many of the services we offer. 👍

17 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

six of one, half a dozen of the other.

So many great variations on this saying from all around the world that you can rank by order of pessimism.

My favourite is '50% of **** all is still **** all'. 

For better or worse it's very Scottish.

Once a person fully understands this fact then the world truly is their oyster.

1 hour ago, EH11_2NL said:

For JFK-1

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/09/us/us-citizenship-renounced-data-trnd/index.html

Interesting stuff. My understanding is once that you renounce your US passport then you've burnt your bridges for going back. Can't imagine ever ditching my UK passport.

I would never give up my UK citizenship. I'm not a US citizen, I have a 'green card' on which i'm classed as a 'permanent resident'   

On Cayman you can apply for PR after 9 years but unless you work for the Gov,  you have to leave the island for a year which gives the Gov time to put a Caymanian in your job! Then after 12 you can get 'naturalised' which means nothing more than a Caymanian passport which is worthless anyway. After 15 you can get status which means you are a 'paper' Caymanian and you can vote and open a business without Caymanians owning 60% of it! The rampant anti- expat feelings on this island are evident everywhere. The thing is, if all the expats left, you could put the lights out on this place.

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I have received an advance copy of George W. Bush’s new coffee table book

On second thought, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I don't think images of war casualties are a factor that should make anybody think Trump is no worse than Bush. If that were the case then for example Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon, should all be rated as worse choices than Trump for the following and much more besides. These children are fleeing their village which has just been napalmed.

napalm_girl.jpg

2 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

On Cayman you can apply for PR after 9 years but unless you work for the Gov,  you have to leave the island for a year which gives the Gov time to put a Caymanian in your job! Then after 12 you can get 'naturalised' which means nothing more than a Caymanian passport which is worthless anyway. After 15 you can get status which means you are a 'paper' Caymanian and you can vote and open a business without Caymanians owning 60% of it! The rampant anti- expat feelings on this island are evident everywhere. The thing is, if all the expats left, you could put the lights out on this place.

I think you can become a US citizen after 5 years, I have been here for 8 years. I haven't bothered and never will because even a lawyer told me sees no point unless I have some burning desire to be an American.

Incidentally a republican voting Trump supporting work colleague asked me a couple of years or so ago if I were a citizen yet and when I said no he says when will you do it?

I replies never and when he asks why I say because I see no point, even a lawyer told me it's pointless and would just cost time and some pointless money. So I effectively say to this guy why would I want to become a citizen?

He replies, "for pride". Apparently going through that process, paying for it and getting a piece of paper anybody who has been here 5 years can get, would be something to be proud of.   

8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think you can become a US citizen after 5 years, I have been here for 8 years. I haven't bothered and never will because even a lawyer told me sees no point unless I have some burning desire to be an American.

Incidentally a republican voting Trump supporting work colleague asked me a couple of years or so ago if I were a citizen yet and when I said no he says when will you do it?

I replies never and when he asks why I say because I see no point, even a lawyer told me it's pointless and would just cost time and some pointless money. So I effectively say to this guy why would I want to become a citizen?

He replies, "for pride". Apparently going through that process, paying for it and getting a piece of paper anybody who has been here 5 years can get, would be something to be proud of.   

How about the right to vote?  Can you vote in American elections if you're not a citizen?

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

How about the right to vote?  Can you vote in American elections if you're not a citizen?

No I don't have a vote but having one would hardly be life changing. Not something i'm bothered about. But let's look at it from the opposite direction, what if that guy went to my country and ultimately became a citizen. What's the benefit? Well a lot more than a vote that's for sure.

He would have guaranteed free and full lifetime medical care which will never run out unlike here where they put a lifetime cap on people. There are people who have long term illnesses killing themselves because the lifetime cap has been reached and is bankrupting their family.

29 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think images of war casualties are a factor that should make anybody think Trump is no worse than Bush. If that were the case then for example Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon, should all be rated as worse choices than Trump for the following and much more besides. These children are fleeing their village which has just been napalmed.

napalm_girl.jpg

That's one of the iconic pictures of the Vietnam War.

The good news is that the puir wee lassie in the middle is now a grandma, and she's alive and well living in Toronto.

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The good news is that the puir wee lassie in the middle is now a grandma, and she's alive and well living in Toronto.

Yeah I knew she had survived and emigrated. Remember seeing the photo years ago which is why I searched it out as an example of Vietnam which went on during the tenure of 5 presidents.

12 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

A short video of the photographer describing the incident, plus 'napalm girl' talking about her clothes being burned off.

7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

EGDmCdR.gif You guys!

No one must've watched your blog, JG. Feck, how long ago was that? 

I heard someone say similar (John Cleese, I think) that both extremes need someone to hate and blame. 

As for friendly Antifa 🤣

:Aye:

Can I ask the Antifa Brigade. 

Why don't you protest on Russia, China, N Korea, and other like minded government controlled countries? 

No let's wreak havok in countries that allow protest and population freedom. And when such havok causes the authorities to rain fire with chibs and rubber bullets. 

We were only singing, honest! 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)