U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Maple Leaf
18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Indeed. Joe Biden is streets ahead of Trump in every respect as a person and as a Politician but he's not exactly what you'd hope for. His Gaffes are on a par with George W's and as you say, he's auld as ****. 

Obama raised the bar imo in terms of intelligence, as an orator, his ideas and leadership.

I'd have hoped that America, from all its brilliant people, could have at least found a handful of folk that were on Obama's level and were Moderate. 

I've no respect for Trump or Pence, and very little for Biden.  I don't think any of them are very bright.  My hope is that Biden will brighten up the election campaign by selecting a smart, articulate woman as a running mate.

My preferences would be Susan Rice, Kamala Harris, or Elizabeth Warren, in that order.  Because of Biden's age, there's a possibility that whoever is VP, she will be the next POTUS.  Just imagine, a Black woman as president. :shockio:

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

chuck berrys hairline

I know she bats for the other side Maple but that may be Candace Owens who becomes first female/black president. 

Biden is a dodgy character both personally and in his policies but FFS take a look at the piss-eyed demagogue who's in the hot seat right now.

No contest.

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

I know she bats for the other side Maple but that may be Candace Owens who becomes first female/black president. 

Could be, chuck, but unlikely imo.

First, she isn't even a politician, she's a social commentator, so she doesn't yet have her hat in the ring.  Second, she's a newcomer to the Republican party, having formerly been an admitted liberal. She was very critical of Trump in the early days of his presidency. Turncoats are always suspect.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

I've no respect for Trump or Pence, and very little for Biden.  I don't think any of them are very bright.  My hope is that Biden will brighten up the election campaign by selecting a smart, articulate woman as a running mate.

My preferences would be Susan Rice, Kamala Harris, or Elizabeth Warren, in that order.  Because of Biden's age, there's a possibility that whoever is VP, she will be the next POTUS.  Just imagine, a Black woman as president. :shockio:

Susan Rice for me too. 

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Biden is a dodgy character both personally and in his policies but FFS take a look at the piss-eyed demagogue who's in the hot seat right now.

No contest.

:rofl:he's some machine like.

Noticed Kayne Wests odds to be the next POTUS has been cut from 500/1 to 50/1. 

Wouldn't surprise me. Might be worth it for the shits and giggles. 

3 hours ago, Barack said:

That's no bother. It references employment and the prisons. 

The WaPo one covers quite a bit more. As does the Republican leaning Marshall Project.

From what I've read african american(not keen on those descriptions) was 9.4%  in 2015.

5.3 2019.

Just now maybe higher due to covid.

Look policies formulated during Obama's tenure I think had an impact on the 19 figures.

But Biden .

I just dont see the Democrats as an answer .

In fact to be metaphorical it's almost abusive the relationship between dems and black Americans.

The prison population was no doubt down to Biden.

I've been out and had a wee sherbet so I dont want to get into this as I talk enough shite.

FWIW I really think black votes tied to a party which imo is just as culpable as others leaves black people powerless.

Tying into a political dogma based on race is really bad.

Left or right.

Yirra good poster Barack man.

1 hour ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

I like her, I've watched a good few of cluos of her, speaks a lot of sence.

5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm not going to defend Biden as I think he's a flawed candidate.  Biden can be judged by his actions in a long history of public service, so there's a lot to examine, while we can only judge Trump since he entered politics in 2016.  I can't speak for Black Americans, but the polls seem to indicate that they were more pleased with Obama/Biden than they are with Trump/Pence.

The political climate in the Middle East is much different today than it was when Obama was president.  We can only speculate as to how Trump would have handled the same set of challenges. Maybe he would have dropped bombs too.

As for the video of that BLM woman, I don't think she was advocating violence.  She was using an analogy of stab wounds and a paper cut, asking facetiously, "Do all cuts matter?"

Maple.

Sometimes I think you get me even though I do yer heid in.

You dont want to defend Biden .

I dont want to defend Trump.

I'm a bit nutted and I think I would  like to respond another time in full.

King Of The Cat Cafe

Has anyone else seen the figures that show that in three and a half years as president, Trump has spent the equivalent of a year on golf courses?

This is the man who criticised Obama for playing  golf and said he "would not have the time" to play golf.

I used the word "play" advisedly  when remarking on Trump's approach to golf.

3 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Has anyone else seen the figures that show that in three and a half years as president, Trump has spent the equivalent of a year on golf courses?

This is the man who criticised Obama for playing  golf and said he "would not have the time" to play golf.

I used the word "play" advisedly  when remarking on Trump's approach to golf.

When you take into account the security costs, his golfing has cost the US taxpayer something like $130m IIRC

King Of The Cat Cafe
Just now, trotter said:

When you take into account the security costs, his golfing has cost the US taxpayer something like $130m IIRC

Yep, including by overcharging Secret Service agents for accommodation and such things as golf buggy hire at his own golf courses.

Air Force One does not come cheap, either.

31 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Yep, including by overcharging Secret Service agents for accommodation and such things as golf buggy hire at his own golf courses.

Air Force One does not come cheap, either.

Probably $150,000 on golf balls alone.

I can imagine him discarding clubs each time he duffs a shot. Faulty clubs, tons of them he'll exclaim, hard to find the good ones. Let's say he goes through three sets of clubs a round? Add in another $1.5m.

29 minutes ago, kila said:

Probably $150,000 on golf balls alone.

I can imagine him discarding clubs each time he duffs a shot. Faulty clubs, tons of them he'll exclaim, hard to find the good ones. Let's say he goes through three sets of clubs a round? Add in another $1.5m.

Trump claims to have a handicap of 2.8.

18 time Major Winner Jack Nicklaus' handicap is 5.2

:laugh: He's so full of shite it's unbelievable. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
31 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Trump claims to have a handicap of 2.8.

18 time Major Winner Jack Nicklaus' handicap is 5.2

:laugh: He's so full of shite it's unbelievable. 

This is probably where he played to determine his handicap. Anything crazy suits the Donald.best-seller-crazy-golf-course.jpg.64ddeb706ab827f735d3d8eca5573f3c.jpg

I P Knightley
9 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Trump supporters fault apparently!

There's a lesson right there. One doesn't have to broadcast every single thought that passes through one's tiny mind. I totally agree with her sentiments in the first clip but wouldn't have aired them in the same way. The later clips are just pathetic. 

9 hours ago, jake said:

That's up to the electorate.

Trump has never been fit for the role of president.

But heres where I struggle.

Biden as his replacement .

Given his record regarding black Americans if that was all the vote was about would you not agree that he Biden did more harm to black communities by a fair distance than Trump.

Internationally he was part of a regime that bombed brown countries literally daily.

In fact black employment up under Trump.

The shameful mass incarceration of black Americans directly attributed to Biden who implemented it with the help of separatists has been reversed under Trump.

Have you watched Bidens speech to implement his crime bill.

The trouble with views as expressed in the video is they are becoming a bit too common.

Theres a lot of hatred being stoked to white people and her video you would hope would have been met in the same way as if she had been white and advocating violence towards blacks.

Instead whataboutery  via Trump who has actually done more for blacks in reality than the previous regime.

Trump has proved himself to be the shitest president yet.

Biden may end up being a pretty shite president but he'd have to go some to out-shite Trump. 

If you vote for Trump, you know for sure what you'd going to get - and it's shite. The odds of Biden being that shite aren't all that bad. He may be on the verge of keeling over but that isn't due to him being as, or more, shite than trump. 

Just now, I P Knightley said:

There's a lesson right there. One doesn't have to broadcast every single thought that passes through one's tiny mind. I totally agree with her sentiments in the first clip but wouldn't have aired them in the same way. The later clips are just pathetic. 

Biden may end up being a pretty shite president but he'd have to go some to out-shite Trump. 

If you vote for Trump, you know for sure what you'd going to get - and it's shite. The odds of Biden being that shite aren't all that bad. He may be on the verge of keeling over but that isn't due to him being as, or more, shite than trump. 

It was her reaction that I found hilarious, full of piss and vinegar then when faced with the reality of posting shite like that, it's all tears and snotters and poiting the finger at others. It seems to be all to prevalent in the younger generation now, not willing to take any responsibility fot thier own actions, pretty pathetic.

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

This is probably where he played to determine his handicap. Anything crazy suits the Donald.best-seller-crazy-golf-course.jpg.64ddeb706ab827f735d3d8eca5573f3c.jpg

:laugh: That's probably about right. 

16 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

If you watch her on Joe Rogan, you'll reach a different conclusion. As thick as Feck. 

It's not just about Biden becoming president, it's obviously all the back room teams that are installed too.

The White House just now seems to be made up of scared little yes men/women.  That can't ever be a healthy environment, especially so when the top of the chain is psychopathic narcissist.  Politicians are sleezebags on both sides, but there are levels of it.    

Trump wouldn't think twice about ****ing his own kids over.  Think about that.  He is supposed to be looking after the interests of an entire country, when I don't doubt for one second that he would **** over anyone to save himself.

Then go play golf and have a great nights sleep.

Ron Burgundy
12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It was her reaction that I found hilarious, full of piss and vinegar then when faced with the reality of posting shite like that, it's all tears and snotters and poiting the finger at others. It seems to be all to prevalent in the younger generation now, not willing to take any responsibility fot thier own actions, pretty pathetic.

Correct still blaming others, nothing is her fault.

I took a great deal of satisfaction watching that, entitled boot getting what she deserves :laugh:

All roads lead to Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Washington Redlops said:

4 months until 4 more years - Go Trump!

Welcome to Kickback Donny boy!

Hopefully that is the minimum sentence he will get 😛

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Welcome to Kickback Donny boy!

Hopefully that is the minimum sentence he will get 😛

:lol:

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Washington Redlops said:

4 months until no more years - go away Trump. :wink:

19 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Could be, chuck, but unlikely imo.

First, she isn't even a politician, she's a social commentator, so she doesn't yet have her hat in the ring.  Second, she's a newcomer to the Republican party, having formerly been an admitted liberal. She was very critical of Trump in the early days of his presidency. Turncoats are always suspect.

Here, if you'd like a nice concise compilation of stuff confirming that Candace Owens is an absolute fraud.

Every Receipt Proving Candace Owens is a Con Artist Who is Following the Money

Zero surprise chuck would stan her though :lol:

16 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

😄.

Cant argue with that tbh.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

If you watch her on Joe Rogan, you'll reach a different conclusion. As thick as Feck. 

I seen that.

I was quite shocked tbh.

Anything I've seen from her before she performed well.

Even though she stretched some things.

Joe Rogan tore her a new one over environmental issues.

9 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

It's not just about Biden becoming president, it's obviously all the back room teams that are installed too.

The White House just now seems to be made up of scared little yes men/women.  That can't ever be a healthy environment, especially so when the top of the chain is psychopathic narcissist.  Politicians are sleezebags on both sides, but there are levels of it.    

Trump wouldn't think twice about ****ing his own kids over.  Think about that.  He is supposed to be looking after the interests of an entire country, when I don't doubt for one second that he would **** over anyone to save himself.

Then go play golf and have a great nights sleep.

This is a factor many seem to forget, we're talking about the formation of a competent, sane administration, and that hasn't happened in the entire time Trump has been in office.

A classic example of that is when Trump appointed a climate change denier to head the environmental protection agency. You couldn't make such insanity up and expect it to be taken seriously. It's like appointing a young Earth creationist to head the geology department at Cambridge.

A president who would make such an appointment while espousing all manner of batshit crazy conspiracy theories sounds like something out of a dystopian novel. Yet it's real right now.

Whatever the flaws of Biden may be he can be guaranteed to form a functional, professional, sane administration. That alone is the desired starting point of recovering from this mental breakdown in the US.

16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Golf cheat.  :facepalm:

Why am I not surprised.

Just when you think nothing Trump does can surprise anymore something does. Which I find unsettling. It leaves the world in a constant state of WTF will this mental case do today. And if we get through today what about tomorrow?

And how insane will it get as the crazy ship sinks further in the water and the rats begin deserting the lone lunatic left standing on the bridge. A freak so detached from reality it likely may not recognise/accept the game is up until the water is literally washing over the deck. And what will happen if/when it is recognised.

I keep coming back to the analogy of Hitler in the bunker because in a number ways that's what it feels like to me. Hitler in the bunker point blank refused to recognise the war had been lost long before.

Strategically it had been lost years before and tactically the failed Ardennes counter offensive (battle of the bulge) at the end of 1944 was the last throw of the dice. Surrender should have occurred in the aftermath. 

Yet it was dragged out for months more. Long, long, past the time a surrender should have taken place he continued on with the now pointless insanity. Costing millions more lives that could have been saved and trying to completely destroy Germany as he went down.

I see that same kind of insanity in Trump. A deranged scorched earth mentality that could end in who knows what type of dystopian madness.

I remember playing golf with the bar manager at my work who I’d always got on with well and was shocked at his cheating which only came to light when I saw his scorecard at the end of the round. I lost all respect for the guy after that and wasn’t even slightly shocked when he was sacked a few months later after one too many dodgy stocktake. 
Then upgrade that to the most powerful man in the world. 

Edited by Tazio

Anyone who has followed this thread surely has to be aware that i'm no Trump supporter. In fact it has to be obvious i'm actually the complete opposite. An opponent who would accept pretty much anything but him in the office to be rid of him.

Which is why I object to this woman labeling anyone who thinks she go what was coming to her a "Trump supporter". Anyone of any ideological persuasion aiming comments about stabbing people at any other group could in the current climate find themselves fired.

So don't go whining that it's all down to Trump supporters, it's not. Her own frankly threatening, hate filled stupidity is what got her fired. And got her what she would have demanded  anyone aiming such comments at BLM supporters should get.

There is systemic racism in the US, I have seen it. But BLM is not only an unfit group to challenge that it's actually detrimental to challenging it.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Which is why I object to this woman labeling anyone who thinks she go what was coming to her a "Trump supporter". Anyone of any ideological persuasion aiming comments about stabbing people at any other group could in the current climate find themselves fired.

That's the thing. Her analogy is quite valid. Why did she have to make it about HER stabbing *fill in the blank*? Just say "if a violent criminal stabs you at the same moment I'm inside the office building on that street and just gotten a paper cut while doing work, and I come out and say 'all cuts matter' ..."

What a monumentally stupid self-own.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

There is systemic racism in the US, I have seen it. But BLM is not only an unfit group to challenge that it's actually detrimental to challenging it.

On this, I disagree. I just read a Lawson-style article (took about 4,000 words to say what could've been said in about 400) that made a point I think is valid, which is that id pol is both valid and justified in the American political climate, especially given the country's unique history. If you feel like wading through it, the title is The Willful Blindness of Reactionary Liberalism and it's on New Republic. This paragraph from the article could be half this length too, but it sums it up:

As we work through what to make of the successes of progressive identity politics, we shouldn’t forget that progressive identity politics were not supposed to succeed. Not long ago, critics predicted that as legitimate as the core grievances motivating activists were, dust-ups on campus, rhetoric condemning “white supremacy,” and property destruction accompanying protests against police violence would ultimately alienate the broader public and prevent ordinary people from joining identity political causes. It is empirically plain now that these arguments were wrong and that the past several years of activism have produced a large and rapid positive shift in American public opinion. We will spend many years working through how it happened, but one factor already seems crucial: The critics of progressive identity politics were not only unpersuasive but fundamentally uninterested in persuasion. Even now, white liberals sympathetic to Black Lives Matter are disdained and mocked, and those most committed to denouncing the zealous rhetoric of progressive activists have never paused to assess the effectiveness of their own histrionics.

15 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

That's the thing. Her analogy is quite valid. Why did she have to make it about HER stabbing *fill in the blank*? Just say "if a violent criminal stabs you at the same moment I'm inside the office building on that street and just gotten a paper cut while doing work, and I come out and say 'all cuts matter' ..."

What a monumentally stupid self-own.

She's now claiming the stabbing threats were a joke, but do you believe for a moment she would have accepted it as a joke if some opponent had made a similarly styled video  'jokingly' threatening to stab BLM supporters? I very much doubt it.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

21 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

On this, I disagree.

Not understanding if you're disagreeing with a single facet of it or all of it.

Disagree there is systemic racism in the US? Disagree than BLM is not a fit group to challenge it? Disagree with both? 

The very fact that their title is so open to criticism for obvious reasons is evidence enough for me that it wasn't well thought out and is in need of 're-branding' for lack of a better term.

And they take up issues they should have nothing to do with, issues with absolutely no connection to any racism.  the Michael Brown incident a classic example. Michael Brown, young black man shot and killed by a lone policeman after committing a minor robbery.

Police not just entitled to be approaching him but obliged to do so. He's a robber. Michael Brown then assaults and tries to wrestle the cops gun from him. That would get anybody of any race killed. It's not racism. Yet they adopt it.

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

She's now claiming the stabbing threats were a joke, but do you believe for a moment she would have accepted it as a joke if some opponent had made a similarly styled video  'jokingly' threatening to stab BLM supporters? I very much doubt it.

No. It's crocodile tears because she got called out for doing something exceptionally stupid in the current charged climate and lost her job because of it. In her later "woe is me" videos she didn't try to apologize, make amends or even stand by her original point. She was just whining about what other people had done to her. News flash sweetheart, just because you went to an Ivy League school does not make you somehow immune from criticism. Especially when most companies right now are clamping down on anything that can reflect badly on them. That CrossFit prick was forced to resign from a $3bn company for being a twat online, what makes a two year graduate think they are bulletproof?

By all means use the internet to make a point you think will get you attention, but don't complain when that same attention gets you a one-on-one with the head of HR.

Edited by trotter

1 hour ago, trotter said:

No. It's crocodile tears because she got called out for doing something exceptionally stupid in the current charged climate and lost her job because of it. In her later "woe is me" videos she didn't try to apologize, make amends or even stand by her original point. She was just whining about what other people had done to her. News flash sweetheart, just because you went to an Ivy League school does not make you somehow immune from criticism. Especially when most companies right now are clamping down on anything that can reflect badly on them. That CrossFit prick was forced to resign from a $3bn company for being a twat online, what makes a two year graduate think they are bulletproof?

By all means use the internet to make a point you think will get you attention, but don't complain when that same attention gets you a one-on-one with the head of HR.

And this is where the sheer hypocrisy and dare I say the 'sheer entitled caucasity' she claims to despise comes into it.

Let's run it back and imagine an alternate timeline where she hasn't made this idiotic statement. But someone on the 'opposition' side has made a similar statement and is fired for it.

Would she be expressing any sympathy for them? I believe absolutely no chance. On the contrary she would be gloating over their 'comeuppance'.

And here she is bemoaning the fact she can't express a 'sheer entitled ethnic minority' level of malevolence that should be regarded as 'analogous joking' in the current heated climate.

For there to be true equality it has to work both ways and she clearly doesn't want that. She's effectively pleading that she should granted different treatment she would not have been willing to accord to anyone on the other side of the issue.

And I feel there's a lot of that type of thing going on from the BLM segment which is one of the reasons I deem them entirely unsuitable to be representing the real problems.

On 06/07/2020 at 08:22, Washington Redlops said:

Drugs man. Drugs. You're on the drugs!

Mr Bolsonaro has repeatedly played down the risks posed by the virus, calling it "a little flu" 

That's going to be embarrassing if he ends up in an ICU like Boris did. He's almost 10 years older than Boris.

13 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

For there to be true equality it has to work both ways and she clearly doesn't want that. She's effectively pleading that she should granted different treatment she would not have been willing to accord to anyone on the other side of the issue.

And I feel there's a lot of that type of thing going on from the BLM segment which is one of the reasons I deem them entirely unsuitable to be representing the real problems.

Despite your best intentions, this is super blinkered. True equality / working both ways can only reasonably happen if everyone is starting from the same place. They're not.

Maybe a little comedy can help elucidate what I mean.

(everything he says in the second clip has been official policy in the States for decades whether through slaps on the wrist for outrageous financial crimes, or through legislative, executive and judicial action)

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

In the current circumstances it's an excellent piece of psychological warfare, and particularly so since it's coming from a Republican group. Now somebody smarter than he is which is pretty much everybody may say to him look Donnie they're just trying to get under your skin. Ignore it.

But Donnie being Donnie doesn't have the intellectual capacity to brush it off. It will be driving him even more demented. And they know it.

Edited by JFK-1

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)