U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Playing chess vs a Trumpy.   This clown is a chatter.   Here is the transcript of the latest game.   

lindsey000: good day,hope you are well,,how is the insanity on your side of the world?

me: Hi. You too. Nobody has told us to ingest disinfectant or anything so it's not too bad.

lindsey000: the only ones suggesting that is the main stream media!!

me: What was Trump doing when he was babbling about using it as a treatment while looking over at Dr Birx?

lindsey000: as usual the lame stream put a spin on it..

me: Not really. The world saw him at the lectern rambling about using disinfectant as a medical therapeutic while glancing at a medical expert for approval. No spin. We saw the footage and can make our own minds up. He's mentally ill.

me: Yes? No?

Gone quiet.   :)

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Playing chess vs a Trumpy.   This clown is a chatter.   Here is the transcript of the latest game.   

lindsey000: good day,hope you are well,,how is the insanity on your side of the world?

me: Hi. You too. Nobody has told us to ingest disinfectant or anything so it's not too bad.

me: What was Trump doing when he was babbling about using it as a treatment while looking over at Dr Birx?

me: Not really. The world saw him at the lectern rambling about using disinfectant as a medical therapeutic while glancing at a medical expert for approval. No spin. We saw the footage and can make our own minds up. He's mentally ill.

Does that go down as a win by the two sweetest word in the English language?

DE

FAULT

And as an aside - what a ****in' moron!

1 minute ago, Boof said:

Does that go down as a win by the two sweetest word in the English language?

DE

FAULT

And as an aside - what a ****in' moron!

Here's the rest.

me: So.. Trump?

lindsey000: I think he is absolutely sane!! surrounded by a very hostile deep swamp of traitors and theeves

me: Ha ha. He'll be in a padded cell when he leaves office. Not sure why you people can't face it.

lindsey000: what has he done that is so bad to you?

me: Nothing directly. He has several personality disorders. Narcissism. Sociopathy. Paranoia. Messiah complex. To name a few.

lindsey000: if you think so, that is your FREE opinion. I respect it. nationalism,, not globalism!!

me: Ok.

27 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Here's the rest.

me: So.. Trump?

lindsey000: I think he is absolutely sane!! surrounded by a very hostile deep swamp of traitors and theeves

me: Ha ha. He'll be in a padded cell when he leaves office. Not sure why you people can't face it.

lindsey000: what has he done that is so bad to you?

me: Nothing directly. He has several personality disorders. Narcissism. Sociopathy. Paranoia. Messiah complex. To name a few.

lindsey000: if you think so, that is your FREE opinion. I respect it. nationalism,, not globalism!!

me: Ok.

lindsey000: I'm curious,,do you ever watch,or listen to ALTERNATIVE media sorces?

me: I watch BBC News and Channel 4 News in the UK. Two of the most respected news broadcasters in the world.

lindsey000: but no other sorces of news?

me: Do I need an alternative? I watch the gold standard of news sources for verifiable facts, sources and impartiality. Do you have a suggestion that isn't a pro-Trump propagandist?

lindsey000: variety is a good thing.. makes one think outside the box.. nothing wrong with free thinking

me: I prefer witnessing things first hand, independent reporting and the facts.

lindsey000: independent reporting is exactily what main stream does NOT do.. all scripted. like CNN MSNBC ect. no independent reporting!!

lindsey000: to quote david icke,,"they are not reporters, they are REPEATERS!"

me: Only if the reporting is uncomfortable to the viewer.

lindsey000: so" independent" reporting makes you uncomfortable?

me: David Icke? Ha ha ha. :cornette:

me: No. I'm very comfortable.

lindsey000: 90 percent of ALL north American media is owned by 6 global corps.. that makes me uncomfortable,,

me: That's the problem. We have independent media in the UK. That's why we don't end up with a Trump in power.

lindsey000: I got news for you..BBC is OWNED by one of those 6 global corps!! check it out

me: Hahaha. Wibble.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I was a knight,  a bishop and 3 pawns down during this but they've just coughed up their queen.   Haha.

:jjyay:

I was going to say - it can't be much of a match-up if you're playing against someone who apparently eats their playing pieces :lol: 

J.T.F.Robertson
6 hours ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

I think the show of humility is down to the study done on his press briefings. It showed that during these pandemic briefings he talked for 13 hours at the podium. In them he has spent 4 and a half minutes giving condolences/showing sympathy for all the folks that have died, 10 minutes on Hydroxychloroquine, 45 minutes praising himself and 2 and a half hours attacking others.

There was no humility, he was back to his blustering, blethering best. I was being sarcastic, that's all.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

lindsey000: I'm curious,,do you ever watch,or listen to ALTERNATIVE media sorces?

me: I watch BBC News and Channel 4 News in the UK. Two of the most respected news broadcasters in the world.

lindsey000: but no other sorces of news?

me: Do I need an alternative? I watch the gold standard of news sources for verifiable facts, sources and impartiality. Do you have a suggestion that isn't a pro-Trump propagandist?

lindsey000: variety is a good thing.. makes one think outside the box.. nothing wrong with free thinking

me: I prefer witnessing things first hand, independent reporting and the facts.

lindsey000: independent reporting is exactily what main stream does NOT do.. all scripted. like CNN MSNBC ect. no independent reporting!!

lindsey000: to quote david icke,,"they are not reporters, they are REPEATERS!"

me: Only if the reporting is uncomfortable to the viewer.

lindsey000: so" independent" reporting makes you uncomfortable?

me: David Icke? Ha ha ha. :cornette:

me: No. I'm very comfortable.

lindsey000: 90 percent of ALL north American media is owned by 6 global corps.. that makes me uncomfortable,,

me: That's the problem. We have independent media in the UK. That's why we don't end up with a Trump in power.

lindsey000: I got news for you..BBC is OWNED by one of those 6 global corps!! check it out

me: Hahaha. Wibble.

****ing clueless so they bluster their way out of trouble.

Rings a bell actually.

Sawdust Caesar
2 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

There was no humility, he was back to his blustering, blethering best. I was being sarcastic, that's all.

Ah okay,. He should be ashamed of those stats but we all know he wont be.

8 hours ago, Victorian said:

Found this on Facebook

Someone on Quora asked" “Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?” Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote the following response:

"A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness. There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront. Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege. And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully. That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency – and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down. So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:

• Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.

• You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump. And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: ‘My God… what… have… I… created?’

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Boof said:

Found this on Facebook

Someone on Quora asked" “Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?” Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote the following response:

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness. There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront. Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege. And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully. That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency – and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down. So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:

• You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump. And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: ‘My God… what… have… I… created?’

:spoton:

SwindonJambo
14 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I know that everything is on a spectrum but there seems to me to be a significant difference between supporters of their arse, Trump, and supporters of our arse, Johnson. The video clips in that article have exceptions but there is an enormous amount of denial which, I get the feeling, is typical of Trumpers.

Trump's supporters seem to have got behind him and will remain there no matter how absurd or dangerous his utterings; they just won't criticise him. Over here, Tory supporters seem more willing to accept that he's a buffoon - "but he's our buffoon". Trump acts like a child and people indulge him; Boris acts like a dick and there's a weary sigh of, "That's Boris for you".

Trumps lot are even more horrible than Johnson's.

Well put. Boris is a twat. Not nearly as much of one as Trumpet but still a twat. His supporters are far less horrible than Trumpet’s and merely tolerate his buffoonery with a groan. He didn’t have a lot to beat at the last election so gets away with it. Hopefully Keir Starmer will provide much more effective opposition  than his predecessor and reign in the worst of Boris’s twattery and call him to account.

Pasquale for King
On 27/04/2020 at 21:18, JFK-1 said:

Hahahaha stupid insular ****ing morons and they get all the deserve. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Boof said:

Found this on Facebook

That’s brilliant, I think the British like being a bully though.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

:rofl:

The worrying thing is, he'll probably be re-elected. 

Even if he loses the election, which is 50/50 I'd say, he won't leave.

He'll cry foul, quoting any one of a number of imaginary reasons, and refuse to vacate the White House.  Then a compliant Republican Senate and conservative Supreme Court will back him up.

Far-fetched?  Maybe.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Even if he loses the election, which is 50/50 I'd say, he won't leave.

If anyone knows of a betting site offering a punt on Joe Biden getting fewer Electoral College votes than Hillary Clinton did, I would put a hefty wedge on that right now.

9 hours ago, Justin Z said:

If anyone knows of a betting site offering a punt on Joe Biden getting fewer Electoral College votes than Hillary Clinton did, I would put a hefty wedge on that right now.

Me too.  For the second Presidential election in a row, there are two flawed candidates.

It's quite sad that the best either the Republicans or the Democrats can produce are these two characters.

4 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

How close, politically, is America to North Korea at this point? 

Basically we freedomed so hard the number wrapped around back to zero.

59 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Me too.  For the second Presidential election in a row, there are two flawed candidates.

It's quite sad that the best either the Republicans or the Democrats can produce are these two characters.

And flawed doesn't quite capture it.

I'd argue it's not sad, it's by design. Our consent is manufactured all too easily with a mass media machine owned by about six enormous corporations. Good thing they are totally values neutral and not at all trying to nudge people's way of thinking one way or another, eh? 😌

And when it comes to third parties, rare victories for them generally only occur where the establishment has been taken by surprise and haven't mobilised their resources to defeat their candidacies.

image.png.92356abbffaabc9857bd38e17dfd7729.png

Instant reaction.

Watched a bit of Hannity last night. Going on about Bidens mistreatment of women how shocking it all was and there should be questions about it.  Was there not a recent candidate for the Presidency who was likewise accused by a number of women, and some were actually supposed to be starting legal proceedings. Was there not a fairly recently elected President who stood on Air Force One and denied any knowledge of payments to a woman involved in the porn industry who claimed to have had a sexual tryst with the same President I believe when his wife was busy during the birth of her child. I also seem to remember that his go to lawyer when he was gone to once too often stated that he had made the payment, with the knowledge of the referred to President. If Biden is guilty of what is being alleged he should be shown no sympathy either, what is tragic is that this is what are considered the two best candidates for the Presidency of the United States. God ,never mind blessing  America, please save America and consequently all of us.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Watched a bit of Hannity last night. Going on about Bidens mistreatment of women how shocking it all was and there should be questions about it.  Was there not a recent candidate for the Presidency who was likewise accused by a number of women, and some were actually supposed to be starting legal proceedings. Was there not a fairly recently elected President who stood on Air Force One and denied any knowledge of payments to a woman involved in the porn industry who claimed to have had a sexual tryst with the same President I believe when his wife was busy during the birth of her child. I also seem to remember that his go to lawyer when he was gone to once too often stated that he had made the payment, with the knowledge of the referred to President. If Biden is guilty of what is being alleged he should be shown no sympathy either, what is tragic is that this is what are considered the two best candidates for the Presidency of the United States. God ,never mind blessing  America, please save America and consequently all of us.

Indeed. To mention nothing of his most recent Supreme Court nominee. My, oh my, how Fox News absolutely lambasted the treatment of poor Brett Kavanaugh the rapist.

The Internet

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/rosalindadams/after-one-tweet-to-president-trump-this-man-got-69-million?__twitter_impression=true

On March 27, as emergency rooms in New York and across the country began filling with coronavirus patients struggling to breathe, President Donald Trump posted on Twitter to urge Ford and General Motors to “START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!”

One of the thousands of replies that the tweet attracted struck an equally urgent tone: “We can supply ICU Ventilators, invasive and noninvasive. Have someone call me URGENT.”

Its author was Yaron Oren-Pines, an electrical engineer in Silicon Valley. A specialist in mobile phone technology, he currently has just 75 followers on Twitter and no apparent experience in government contracting or medical devices.

But three days later, New York state paid Oren-Pines $69.1 million. The payment was for 1,450 ventilators — at an astonishing $47,656 per ventilator, at least triple the standard retail price of high-end models.  

Amazing. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Jared Kushner says the US response to covid has been an absolute success. Hit every milestone. :rofl:

A clown like his moron in law.

Mac_fae_Gillie
1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Jared Kushner says the US response to covid has been an absolute success. Hit every milestone. :rofl:

They said 60k dead by August and hit that milestone, they said 66k dead by August and will hit that milestone by weekend, they said 74k dead by August pretty sure they can do it.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
Just now, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

They said 60k dead by August and hit that milestone, they said 66k dead by August and will hit that milestone by weekend, they said 74k dead by August pretty sure they can do it.

A million cases, too. No doubt the evangelists will lap it up.

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

A million cases, too. No doubt the evangelists will lap it up.

Yup, I'll give it a week before gay folk get the blame. Surprised they haven't been already, to be honest. 

I P Knightley
1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

Yup, I'll give it a week before gay folk get the blame. Surprised they haven't been already, to be honest. 

They're busy feasting on the scapegoat of China; just wait until someone suggests that it might be Chinese gays (who've had abortions). The place will go utterly mental. 

4 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Kushner, like his father-in-law, is a narcissistic clown .  I wouldn't expect him to say anything other than that.

The annoying part is that all the Trump cultists will believe him.

ITV News saying Trump not going to renew social distancing measures as he wants mass gatherings up and running for his election campaigning.

I'll say wait and see for now.  I'm convinced his spin doctors deliberately put out lies on occassion so 'fake news' can be called.

Edited by DETTY29

35 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

ITV News saying Trump not going to renew social distancing measures as he wants mass gatherings up and running for his election campaigning.

I'll say wait and see for now.  I'm convinced his spin doctors deliberately put out lies on occassion so 'fake news' can be called.

It's up to the State Governors anyway.

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

There is of course that.

But can he flip blue states?

A load of reds could be on the verge of voting blue so pressure the governors to get them open.

He is a lying toe rag but a great orator. 

He needs these campaigns with millions supporting - endorsing him in public

11 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

There is of course that.

A load of reds could be on the verge of voting blue so pressure the governors to get them open.

Yup. Personally I think however that winning the election will be based on how effectively each side can disparage the contender from the other, and the Republicans appear to be far better at doing that than the Democrats. They very skilfully took out Hilary the last time. One can but hope however that the US electorate will see through the Republican hype.

Mac_fae_Gillie
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

There is of course that.

If the Dem Govs keep states closed and the recession hits them harder as Rep Govs open up and get people back to work that could work in his favour would think the death toll difference in open and shut would be the decider but true numbers can be hidden and support from government to shut states reduced if its not recommended fron Government.

4 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

If the Dem Govs keep states closed and the recession hits them harder as Rep Govs open up and get people back to work that could work in his favour would think the death toll difference in open and shut would be the decider but true numbers can be hidden and support from government to shut states reduced if its not recommended fron Government.

Its a bit conspiracy theory but always nagging doubt that some states wouldn't register Covid deaths properly.

However 5 year average month on month registered (non violent) deaths and out of flu season would provide a form of evidence of impropriety.

Edited by DETTY29

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

There is of course that.

He is a lying toe rag but a great orator

He's a bumbling fool.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Any common sense applied by state governors as this crisis is navigated will simply be portrayed as meddling in his re-election by the freak show that is Trump. He claimed the last election was rigged and he won it. What will he say if he loses? It's not going to be 'good game'

And ironically as proven by the all of the Western intelligence agencies the election actually was meddled in. By Russia in favour of Trump.

There's increasing concern in the US that this out of control maniac will never concede defeat if he loses this election. Fake news. Rigged vote. He said just yesterday that  China will do anything they can to make him lose. The beginning of the 'fake news' 'rigged vote' claims to come if he loses.

He has actually sated in the past that "I have the second amendment people and the bikers behind me"

What in the world is that supposed to imply? I have millions of gun nuts and bikers gangs behind me if you try to remove me from office?

There's an increasing suspicion that the moment he is 'dethroned' and no longer has the office to shield him he may face criminal charges that could even result in jail time.

Now that's real motivation to at any cost avoid being removed from office. Even if he had no such threat hanging over him I think we all know he would still call it rigged. Many idiots are predictable and he's one of the most predictable.

Even his own long time lawyer Michael Cohen has stated that he simply wont leave office no matter the result of the election.

One of Trump’s former confidants, Michael Cohen, has suggested that Trump won’t leave. In his congressional testimony before heading to prison, Trump’s former attorney said, “Given my experience working for Mr. Trump, I fear that if he loses the election in 2020, there will never be a peaceful transition of power.”

Trump himself has joked about staying in office beyond his term, and even for life. In December, Trump told a crowd at a Pennsylvania rally that he will leave office in “five years, nine years, 13 years, 17 years, 21 years, 25 years, 29 years …”

He added that he was joking to drive the media “totally crazy.” Just a few days earlier, Trump had alluded to his critics in a speech, “A lot of them say, ‘You know he’s not leaving’ … So now we have to start thinking about that because it’s not a bad idea.”

This is how propaganda works. Say something outrageous often enough and soon it no longer sounds shocking.

Although Trump’s remaining in office seems unlikely, a more frightening—and plausible—scenario would be if his defeat inspired extremist supporters to engage in violence.

One could imagine a world in which Trump is defeated in the 2020 election, and he immediately begins tweeting that the election was rigged.

Or consider the possibility, albeit remote, that a second-term Trump is removed from office through impeachment, and rails about his ouster as a coup.

His message would be amplified by right-wing media. If his grievances hit home with even a few people inclined toward violence, deadly acts of violence, or even terrorist attacks against the new administration, could result. What Would Happen If Trump Refused to Leave Office?

Given that everyone knows he wont under any circumstances go quietly there are some potentially disturbing scenarios ahead.

15 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

He's a bumbling fool.

Sorry,

To most normal thinking people, but for his audience, every word he delivers makes sense.

Even if he contradicts himself within a few hours.

J.T.F.Robertson
26 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Sorry,

To most normal thinking people, but for his audience, every word he delivers makes sense.

Even if he contradicts himself within a few hours.

I see now what you were saying, but blithering idiocy to a crowd of simpletons doesn't qualify him as a great orator, that's all I meant to say.

13 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I see now what you were saying, but blithering idiocy to a crowd of simpletons doesn't qualify him as a great orator, that's all I meant to say.

He is in no way, shape or form a great speaker. Winston Churchill. great speaker, John F Kennedy, great speaker, Martin Luther King, great speaker.

Putting that rambling idiot in the same category as these people is absurd. 'lock her up" isn't in the same universe as 'I have a dream' and suggesting it is  I find frankly insulting to great men such as King.

This is great speaking.

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

Yup. Personally I think however that winning the election will be based on how effectively each side can disparage the contender from the other, and the Republicans appear to be far better at doing that than the Democrats. They very skilfully took out Hilary the last time. One can but hope however that the US electorate will see through the Republican hype.

Cambridge Analytic took out Hilary.

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

He is in no way, shape or form a great speaker. Winston Churchill. great speaker, John F Kennedy, great speaker, Martin Luther King, great speaker.

Putting that rambling idiot in the same category as these people is absurd. 'lock her up" isn't in the same universe as 'I have a dream' and suggesting it is  I find frankly insulting to great men such as King.

This is great speaking.

I know, I was around when he "spoke" it. 

I got your intent, it's just you used "great orator" and he's no "orator", full stop.

We both would appear to agree on what he actually is though, sadly. :(

11 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/30/politics/trump-intelligence-community-china-coronavirus-origins/index.html

He genuinely believes the virus was created in a lab :lol: an actual niblick is the president of america :lol:

Just end humanity now, let something else take over. 

It's impossible to say if this walking disaster genuinely believes anything he says. It's obvious the intelligence services have declared there is zero evidence the virus came from a lab so who is supposedly telling him it did?

It's not the scientists who say they would be able to detect if it were in any way engineered. They say it isn't. You sometimes have to come to the conclusion about this weirdo that he's such a habitual liar he just can't stop himself lying. Even when the truth is the better path to take.

A good article from mid March talking about what a walking/talking disaster he had been up to that point. Without even factoring in the reality that he has gone from one catastrophe to another almost daily in the 6 weeks or so since.

The Trump Presidency Is Over

When, in January 2016, I wrote that despite being a lifelong Republican who worked in the previous three GOP administrations, I would never vote for Donald Trump, even though his administration would align much more with my policy views than a Hillary Clinton presidency would, a lot of my Republican friends were befuddled. How could I not vote for a person who checked far more of my policy boxes than his opponent?

What I explained then, and what I have said many times since, is that Trump is fundamentally unfit—intellectually, morally, temperamentally, and psychologically—for office.

For me, that is the paramount consideration in electing a president, in part because at some point it’s reasonable to expect that a president will face an unexpected crisis—and at that point, the president’s judgment and discernment, his character and leadership ability, will really matter.

“Mr. Trump has no desire to acquaint himself with most issues, let alone master them” is how I put it four years ago. “No major presidential candidate has ever been quite as disdainful of knowledge, as indifferent to facts, as untroubled by his benightedness.” I added this:

Mr. Trump’s virulent combination of ignorance, emotional instability, demagogy, solipsism and vindictiveness would do more than result in a failed presidency; it could very well lead to national catastrophe. The prospect of Donald Trump as commander in chief should send a chill down the spine of every American.

It took until the second half of Trump’s first term, but the crisis has arrived in the form of the coronavirus pandemic, and it’s hard to name a president who has been as overwhelmed by a crisis as the coronavirus has overwhelmed Donald Trump.

To be sure, the president isn’t responsible for either the coronavirus or the disease it causes, COVID-19, and he couldn’t have stopped it from hitting our shores even if he had done everything right.

Nor is it the case that the president hasn’t done anything right; in fact, his decision to implement a travel ban on China was prudent. And any narrative that attempts to pin all of the blame on Trump for the coronavirus is simply unfair.

The temptation among the president’s critics to use the pandemic to get back at Trump for every bad thing he’s done should be resisted, and schadenfreude is never a good look.

That said, the president and his administration are responsible for grave, costly errors, most especially the epic manufacturing failures in diagnostic testing, the decision to test too few people, the delay in expanding testing to labs outside the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and problems in the supply chain.

These mistakes have left us blind and badly behind the curve, and, for a few crucial weeks, they created a false sense of security. What we now know is that the coronavirus silently spread for several weeks, without us being aware of it and while we were doing nothing to stop it.

Containment and mitigation efforts could have significantly slowed its spread at an early, critical point, but we frittered away that opportunity.

“They’ve simply lost time they can’t make up. You can’t get back six weeks of blindness,” Jeremy Konyndyk, who helped oversee the international response to Ebola during the Obama administration and is a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development, told The Washington Post.

“To the extent that there’s someone to blame here, the blame is on poor, chaotic management from the White House and failure to acknowledge the big picture.”

Earlier this week, Anthony Fauci, the widely respected director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases whose reputation for honesty and integrity has been only enhanced during this crisis, admitted in congressional testimony that the United States is still not providing adequate testing for the coronavirus.

“It is failing. Let’s admit it.” He added, “The idea of anybody getting [testing] easily, the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. I think it should be, but we’re not."

We also know the World Health Organization had working tests that the United States refused, and researchers at a project in Seattle tried to conduct early tests for the coronavirus but were prevented from doing so by federal officials. (Doctors at the research project eventually decided to perform coronavirus tests without federal approval.)

But that’s not all. The president reportedly ignored early warnings of the severity of the virus and grew angry at a CDC official who in February warned that an outbreak was inevitable.

The Trump administration dismantled the National Security Council’s global-health office, whose purpose was to address global pandemics; we’re now paying the price for that. “We worked very well with that office,” Fauci told Congress.

“It would be nice if the office was still there.” We may face a shortage of ventilators and medical supplies, and hospitals may soon be overwhelmed, certainly if the number of coronavirus cases increases at a rate anything like that in countries such as Italy.

(This would cause not only needless coronavirus-related deaths, but deaths from those suffering from other ailments who won’t have ready access to hospital care.)

Some of these mistakes are less serious and more understandable than others. One has to take into account that in government, when people are forced to make important decisions based on incomplete information in a compressed period of time, things go wrong.

Yet in some respects, the avalanche of false information from the president has been most alarming of all. It’s been one rock slide after another, the likes of which we have never seen.

Day after day after day he brazenly denied reality, in an effort to blunt the economic and political harm he faced. But Trump is in the process of discovering that he can’t spin or tweet his way out of a pandemic. There is no one who can do to the coronavirus what Attorney General William Barr did to the Mueller report: lie about it and get away with it.

The president’s misinformation and mendacity about the coronavirus are head-snapping. He claimed that it was contained in America when it was actually spreading.

He claimed that we had “shut it down” when we had not. He claimed that testing was available when it wasn’t. He claimed that the coronavirus will one day disappear “like a miracle”; it won’t.

He claimed that a vaccine would be available in months; Fauci says it will not be available for a year or more.

Trump falsely blamed the Obama administration for impeding coronavirus testing. He stated that the coronavirus first hit the United States later than it actually did. (He said that it was three weeks prior to the point at which he spoke; the actual figure was twice that.)

The president claimed that the number of cases in Italy was getting “much better” when it was getting much worse. And in one of the more stunning statements an American president has ever made, Trump admitted that his preference was to keep a cruise ship off the California coast rather than allowing it to dock, because he wanted to keep the number of reported cases of the coronavirus artificially low.

“I like the numbers,” Trump said. “I would rather have the numbers stay where they are. But if they want to take them off, they’ll take them off. But if that happens, all of a sudden your 240 [cases] is obviously going to be a much higher number, and probably the 11 [deaths] will be a higher number too.” (Cooler heads prevailed, and over the president’s objections, the Grand Princess was allowed to dock at the Port of Oakland.)

On and on it goes.

To make matters worse, the president delivered an Oval Office address that was meant to reassure the nation and the markets but instead shook both.

The president’s delivery was awkward and stilted; worse, at several points, the president, who decided to ad-lib the teleprompter speech, misstated his administration’s own policies, which the administration had to correct. Stock futures plunged even as the president was still delivering his speech.

In his address, the president called for Americans to “unify together as one nation and one family,” despite having referred to Washington Governor Jay Inslee as a “snake” days before the speech and attacking Democrats the morning after it.

As The Washington Post’s Dan Balz put it, “Almost everything that could have gone wrong with the speech did go wrong.”

Taken together, this is a massive failure in leadership that stems from a massive defect in character. Trump is such a habitual liar that he is incapable of being honest, even when being honest would serve his interests.

He is so impulsive, shortsighted, and undisciplined that he is unable to plan or even think beyond the moment.

He is such a divisive and polarizing figure that he long ago lost the ability to unite the nation under any circumstances and for any cause.

And he is so narcissistic and unreflective that he is completely incapable of learning from his mistakes. The president’s disordered personality makes him as ill-equipped to deal with a crisis as any president has ever been.

With few exceptions, what Trump has said is not just useless; it is downright injurious.

The nation is recognizing this, treating him as a bystander “as school superintendents, sports commissioners, college presidents, governors and business owners across the country take it upon themselves to shut down much of American life without clear guidance from the president,” in the words of Peter Baker and Maggie Haberman of The New York Times.

Donald Trump is shrinking before our eyes.

The coronavirus is quite likely to be the Trump presidency’s inflection point, when everything changed, when the bluster and ignorance and shallowness of America’s 45th president became undeniable, an empirical reality, as indisputable as the laws of science or a mathematical equation.

It has taken a good deal longer than it should have, but Americans have now seen the con man behind the curtain. The president, enraged for having been unmasked, will become more desperate, more embittered, more unhinged. He knows nothing will be the same. His administration may stagger on, but it will be only a hollow shell. The Trump presidency is over.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/peter-wehner-trump-presidency-over/607969/

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)