U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

@JFK-1 Thanks for posting the video.  I enjoyed it very much.

I've never heard of Aron Ra, but I liked his message.  The 'Marmalade Mussolini' quip was priceless!!

A cult has developed in the Republican Party around Donald Trump and, like most cults, it's members are blind to the failings of the Great Leader. We all recognise Trump as being a ferocious bully, but is that all it takes for other Republican leaders to become spineless wretches?  

The recent boot-licking comments by Jeff Sessions as he tries to win back his Senate seat are embarrassing beyond words.  Trump publicly humiliated Sessions on numerous occasions when Sessions was AG, but Sessions is now a snivelling wimp as he tries to regain Trump's approval. Make America Grovel Again.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched a show last night written by a TV guy who generally does travel shows, Rick Steves.. This show was the Rise of Fascism. It highlighted of course Hitler and Mussolini. From day one of Trump I have mentioned what I saw as his parodies of Mussolini, last night I again saw Mussolini and if Trump hasn't copied some of his antics he sure has them. What was intersesting of course also was the resemblance between Trumps policies and some of the two now long gone political criminals.

There are some who think there may be serious problems if/when Trump loses an election. I think we all know it would immediately be branded "fake news" and to my knowledge there is no process to remove an incumbent of the office refusing to step aside.

And think on this. He has already said more than once "I have the bikers on my side" along with "I have the second amendment people on my side"

What's that supposed to mean?

I seem to remember some time ago it was reported that Trump had stated any election he lost would have to have ben rigged so he wouldn't leave office. He basically cannot ever leave office because the minute he does he will be charged c riminally by at least New York. My feeling is the only way he can escape that is to willingly resign with conditions that include no criminal actions, and no further investigation of past allegations. Otherwise by hook or by crookedness he will be there until physically removed.

If President Tweet thinks IS is defeated, that it's job done, then perhaps he needs to watch this report from Sky News.

There is a second special report tonight about the IS fighters.

https://news.sky.com/story/islamic-state-new-mini-caliphate-forms-at-syrian-al-hol-camp-11858828

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If President Tweet thinks IS is defeated, that it's job done, then perhaps he needs to watch this report from Sky News.

https://news.sky.com/story/islamic-state-new-mini-caliphate-forms-at-syrian-al-hol-camp-11858828

Turkey is apparently sending ISIS prisoners back to their home countries, the United States being one of them

Edited by bobsharp

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I saw the first report yesterday and it was quite eye opening.

but but but we were told by the smartest president ever that he has defeated IS

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

The self proclaimed "very stable genius" 🤣

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

Single-handedly as well no doubts, just like a big marine named camouflage.  😄

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Single-handedly as well no doubts, just like a big marine named camouflage.  😄

i had that phrase typed but could not force myself to post it

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I saw the first report yesterday and it was quite eye opening.

Yet there are some who would welcome with open arms the return of a certain British IS bride, scary.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yet there are some who would welcome with open arms the return of a certain British IS bride, scary.

What she did amounted to treason. Now claiming well it was a mistake but we can be guaranteed she wouldn't be saying that if the fantasy of an islamic dictatorship had not gone pear shaped.

She hasn't changed a bit. Her circumstances have. 

The Real Maroonblood
23 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I know, it’s laughable.

Erdogan personally returned the letter Trump sent him telling him not to be a fool, it was handed to Trump, I guess no words or correspondence was needed to give the message.

I read that SCOTUS judge Ruth Bader Ginsberg is ill again.  That's another reason that the Republicans are desperate to hold on to the presidency and the Senate.  If Ginsberg needs to be replaced at any time in the next 5 years, it will give Trump an opportunity to appoint yet another conservative judge. The implications of that will be felt for decades.

7 minutes ago, systemx said:

just watched that ffs and the girl who defended him in the corridor jesus feck

They should replay the footage back to people like her in say 10 years time and then ask if she still feels the same about Trump.

Of course by that time all the shit he's doing now will have come out by then.

8 minutes ago, Barack said:

Roger Stone convicted on all counts.

:jjyay:

Cue Trump pardon.

:what:

just to add some context

Donald Trump's former adviser Roger Stone has been found guilty on all seven counts of obstruction, witness tampering and lying to Congress.

12 hours ago, milky_26 said:

just to add some context

Donald Trump's former adviser Roger Stone has been found guilty on all seven counts of obstruction, witness tampering and lying to Congress.

Good.

Smarmy ****

20 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

just to add some context

Not only will Trump pardon him, he'll probably award him the Congressional Medal of Honor for outstanding services to the fledgling new order, oops I mean the presidency.

Just now, kila said:

MSM reporting an unscheduled 2 hour hospital visit. 

Not fair to be teased with such headlines when I wake up. 

Agreed, not fair at all.

Guess they're claiming he's getting portions of his annual physical done? Two months early. Aye right. Actually it's a bit depressing in its banality, a claim like that, how starkly it exposes the US for the banana republic it's turned into under Trump, that they'd think anyone would buy an explanation like that, so they just rattle it off like it's nothing.

No indication, thus far at least, as to whether his check up is for physical or mental concerns.

Even Marmalade Mussolini must see that his presidency is a complete shambles, which must be an enormous strain on a person who thinks that he's the smartest, bestest President ever. 

The Hogfather

I wonder what our grandfathers and grandmothers thought of the rise of the right wing when it happened 80 or so years ago. Just to compare their thoughts and ours.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Nunya Business said:

I wonder what our grandfathers and grandmothers thought of the rise of the right wing when it happened 80 or so years ago. Just to compare their thoughts and ours.

I am not sure "rise of the right wing" is the correct terminology. Apart from brief intervals "the right wing" had been dominant in UK politics for a long time and its loss of dominance was largely a post WW2 phenomenon.. 

The rise of fascism was something else and we are not seeing that today. We really aren't.

Mac_fae_Gillie
2 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

USA was way more right wing back in the 40s and 50s.. immigration was less of an issue because it was a growing nation and power house of the world without compare. It was the 60s to 2000 that things became way more liberal. I think they would be more shocked at gay marriage than border control.

Still questons about Trumps impromptu visit to Walter Reed Hospital yesterday. The official word is that it was normal tests for an annual medical, but his last annual was less than a year ago.There are two views on what happened, one is that it is rumored he suffered discomfort in his chest, the second is he is pulling a Richard Nixon who was during his problems treated urgently for Phlebitis in his leg, this was later proved false and a cry for sympathy.

It may also be that it is a reaction to being merged in very deep doodoo.

38 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Still questons about Trumps impromptu visit to Walter Reed Hospital yesterday. The official word is that it was normal tests for an annual medical, but his last annual was less than a year ago.There are two views on what happened, one is that it is rumored he suffered discomfort in his chest, the second is he is pulling a Richard Nixon who was during his problems treated urgently for Phlebitis in his leg, this was later proved false and a cry for sympathy.

come on bob me and you are not genius enough to realise you have an annual physical every 9 months

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I hope it’s nothing trivial.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I hope it’s nothing trivial.

Hopefully enough for him to announce that he'll not be running for re-election.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Exactly. 

29 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Exactly. 

And then watch the Trump love-in transfer to whoever else the Republicans pick as their candidate.

That'll completely finish Trump when he finds out that nobody likes him, that they only liked the office he held.

Trump now offering to testify in the Hearings by written answers.

Now coming out that there may have been lies in his written answers to Mueller, a Court has asked for documents, and the Democrats are involved also.

He must have a feeling around his neck that all his shirt collars are three sizes too small.

Trump tweeted North Korea about Kims comment about Biden, calling him a rabid dog who should be beaten with a stick. Trump in a way supported Sleepy Joe by saying he wasn't though a rabid dog. Trump had cancelled miltary exercises with South Korea. He also suggested he would call Kim about having a meeting because he was the only one who could put Kim where he wants to be.

North Korea has just responded stating they don't want another useless meeting, from which they get nothing. It seems another Trump love affair is waning,

The lies to Mueller was that Trumps said he could never remember ever making any calls about Wikipedia during the campaign, it now appears Manafort and Stone have contradicted this.

Jeez the shirt collar just got another size smaller.

Edited by bobsharp

1 minute ago, bobsharp said:

Trump tweeted North Korea about Kims comment about Biden, calling him a rabid dog who should be beten with a stick. Trump in a way supported Slepy Joe by saying he wasn't though a rabid dog. Trump had cancelled miltaty exerciseswith South Korea. He also suggested he would call Kim about having a meeting because he was the only one who could put Kim where he wants to be.

Korea has just esponded stating they don't want another useless meeting, from which they get nothing. It seems another Trump love affair is waning,

The lies to Mueller was that Trumps said he could neor remeber ever making any calls about Wikipedia during the campaign, it now appears Manafort and Stone have contradicted this.

Jeez the shirt collar just got another size smaller.

bob i assume you mean wikileaks rather than wikipedia?

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

bob i assume you mean wikileaks rather than wikipedia?

Absolutely correct, got overly  excited,thanks very much. 

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, Cade said:

Announces that Israel's settlements in the West Bank are fine and dandy.

International law is dead.

This is absolutely ****ing sickening.

11 hours ago, Cade said:

Announces that Israel's settlements in the West Bank are fine and dandy.

International law is dead.

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This is absolutely ****ing sickening.

It is. And it highlights a cautionary tale not just about International Law, where this has always been an issue, but law generally--that it only works when the ones in power, playing the game, follow the rules.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Gordon Sondland (US Ambassador to the EU, installed by Trump) throwing everyone under the bus in his testimony today. It's a big moment as he's explicitly saying that there was a quid pro quo (although it's worth remembering that a quid pro quo isn't even necessary for impeachment).

Next step for Republicans will no doubt be moving from "there was no quid pro quo" to "so what if there was a quid pro quo?"

4 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Gordon Sondland (US Ambassador to the EU, installed by Trump) throwing everyone under the bus in his testimony today. It's a big moment as he's explicitly saying that there was a quid pro quo (although it's worth remembering that a quid pro quo isn't even necessary for impeachment).

Next step for Republicans will no doubt be moving from "there was no quid pro quo" to "so what if there was a quid pro quo?"

What I find totally disgusting is the behaviour of the Republicans who are trying like feck to discredit people who have served the USA with honor & distinction for many many years, indeed some have shed blood for the USA, and all the Republicans can do is try and save a total scumbag president.

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

What I find totally disgusting is the behaviour of the Republicans who are trying like feck to discredit people who have served the USA with honor & distinction for many many years, indeed some have shed blood for the USA, and all the Republicans can do is try and save a total scumbag president.

Indeed.

The Real Maroonblood

Sad but true unfortunately.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)