U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

14 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

People with brains and morals hate him but I don't and I'm the best one to judge on morality, class and upbringing. If I tweet he's a swell guy by golly he must be. 

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
14 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I don't know any president in modern history that owned slaves, do you?

All US history is relatively modern, slavery still going strong less than a century before I was born. And genocide of native Americans and a sort of apartheid continuing well beyond, the latter well into my lifetime. Trump not even in the running for worst ... not yet anyway. 

Edited by Francis Albert

4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

All US history is relatively modern, slavery still going strong less than a century before I was born. And genocide of native Americans and a sort of apartheid continuing well beyond, the latter well into my lifetime. Trump not even in the running for worst ... not yet anyway. 

Pish!

J.T.F.Robertson
On 30/07/2019 at 09:21, Notts1874 said:

He is the least racist person in the world....source? Himself obviously.

Oh and still no evidence of him being at ground zero.

That has to be the only instance whereby he's described himself as the "least" in anything. 

Finally some humility. :4_1_111:

5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

He will need to go some.

From violence to misogyny racism and entitlement he has a bit catching up to do.

Economically and I believe improving black Americans lot hes doing ok.

Despite the political class and law enforcement going all out against him.

On 01/08/2019 at 07:55, Francis Albert said:

On 01/08/2019 at 12:51, ri Alban said:

Pish!

FA's post is accurate, so it shouldn't be described as 'pish'.  However, his observations need to be put in historical context.

Prior to the American Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 owning slaves was legal. Many people in the South, including some presidents, owned slaves. In addition to it being legal, the slave owners justified their moral position by pointing to the Bible, where slavery is condoned. Racism was widespread in the USA long after Emancipation, and discriminatory laws existed well into the 1960s. No president before LBJ made much of an effort to fix the problem.

Trump has never owned slaves, but that doesn't mitigate his racist remarks, nor does it mean that he's less racist than some of his predecessors. He's clearly a racist, and that is shameful for anyone, let alone the POTUS. 

Congressman Cummings from Baltimore's house was broken into, Trump sees fit to write a sarcastic tweet saying "too bad". The man just cannot help himself.He should never be compared with other presidents because he is not a president. He is a reality tv program actor who got into a position because of outside electoral interference, and an opposition candidate that was no better suited to the position than he, despite the fact she outvoted him in the popular vote, but failed the Electoral College.

I see the impeachment wheels are turning. Moscow Mitch will shoot it down, but Trump is a crook and deserves all he gets. 

9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

FA's post is accurate, so it shouldn't be described as 'pish'.  However, his observations need to be put in historical context.

Prior to the American Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 owning slaves was legal. Many people in the South, including some presidents, owned slaves. In addition to it being legal, the slave owners justified their moral position by pointing to the Bible, where slavery is condoned. Racism was widespread in the USA long after Emancipation, and discriminatory laws existed well into the 1960s. No president before LBJ made much of an effort to fix the problem.

Trump has never owned slaves, but that doesn't mitigate his racist remarks, nor does it mean that he's less racist than some of his predecessors. He's clearly a racist, and that is shameful for anyone, let alone the POTUS. 

Trump has never owned slaves? You know this for a fact?

image.png.fb1d2da2b7e24c80a914f28d8ade46e2.png

For what it's worth, this American person doesn't take any confidence in this, nor am I likely to in anything, so long as the worst president in modern history remains in office.

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Trump has never owned slaves? You know this for a fact?

Nah, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. :wink:

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Nah, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. :wink:

My money is on yes. In wherever his Mrs comes fae.

Edited by ri Alban

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

image.png.fb1d2da2b7e24c80a914f28d8ade46e2.png

For what it's worth, this American person doesn't take any confidence in this, nor am I likely to in anything, so long as the worst president in modern history remains in office.

What is your definition of "modern". Does it exclude for example George W Bush who was responsible for millions of civilian deaths? Or Truman, .Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon - ditto? Trump may deserve the title in time but it is ridiculous to award it to him yet. The most embarrassing or the "most un-Presidential" ...  I'd maybe grant you.

Francis Albert

I may have missed it but not much mention on here of the second round of Democrat candidates "debates" this week. From what I have read  Biden recovered well from his poor show in the first round and the "centrist" candidates dented some of the left momentum of Warren, Sanders and Harris. Biden remains  very much the front runner. Good news I think for those who believe the No,1 priority is to deny Trump a second term.

(As an aside the Guardian described Biden's opponents as "more diverse" which given that there are 19 of them and only one of him doesn't seem very noteworthy ... except that in Guardian-speak "diverse" no longer means diverse ... but it means not being white, male, or old.)

Edited by Francis Albert

Trump has made some comments about this weekend's shootings.

The gunmen were white so, obviously, these were not acts of terrorism but were attributable to mental illness. It seems that white people can't be terrorists.

And Trump has declared that there is no room for hate in our country. Who can argue with that?  But he should look at himself in the mirror and ask himself, "I'm the most powerful man in the country, and am I doing the best I can to reduce levels of hate?"  

Rhetoric is a dangerous tool, it provides the motive for the criminally minded and of course for the mentally ill. The source of the rhetoric and their position in life also lends credence to what is stated.

SpruceBringsteen
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

The gunmen were white so, obviously, these were not acts of terrorism but were attributable to mental illness.

He'll be making mental health treatment free then?

Trump will have the opportunity tomorrow to show if he has any statesmanship at all in his lexicon. If he in any way denies his own responsibility of his rhetoric about Latinos, immigrant invasions, and relies entirely on mental health issues, he will lose s few voters. I am sure there are many like myself who visualise a mother lying in protection over her two month old baby as she and her husband the baby's father both being brutally slain by a young gunman, is a time for truth, acceptance of responsibility and a genuine commitment to change ones ways. I am sure an overly optimistic expression of hope. But I am sure as he does he will beseech his god's help for the families.

J.T.F.Robertson

Dayton / Toledo, close enough.

I hope his god doesn't use an idiot board and make the same mistake by blessing the wrong place.

13 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Trump will have the opportunity tomorrow to show if he has any statesmanship at all in his lexicon. If he in any way denies his own responsibility of his rhetoric about Latinos, immigrant invasions, and relies entirely on mental health issues, he will lose s few voters. I am sure there are many like myself who visualise a mother lying in protection over her two month old baby as she and her husband the baby's father both being brutally slain by a young gunman, is a time for truth, acceptance of responsibility and a genuine commitment to change ones ways. I am sure an overly optimistic expression of hope. But I am sure as he does he will beseech his god's help for the families.

Well as far as I can see he did not prove any Statesmanship. He did carry on with what his Acting Chief said yesterday, this is a man who can be trusted,not, who previously has described  Trump  as a horrible human being  It was suggested that video games, mental health, internet and social media were causes, and a statement I agree with guns don't kill it is the person pulling the trigger that does.

I can see video games changing a persons perception of right and wrong, I also see internet and social media as areas where dangerous thought can be implanted. That Twitter thing, I have seen some posts about race, ******* countries for immigrants to go back where they come from, invasion, infestation, rapists murdereres, drug and human traffickers, and insulting names for political opponennts, and I give no prizes if you guess to whom I am referring.

As far as firearms, absolutely guns do not load themselves, they do not operate until the trigger is pulled, they are inanimate primarily metal construction, they have no mind to create motive, desire or hate. These are all instruments of us the human race. There is legislation regarding gun control in the Senate now, Mitch McConnel just has to set his chin and move his lips if he has one or any and get it done. He is becoming to me as despicable a human being as his boss to whom he panders unashamedly. Some day a law should be legislated that any politician who delays, disputes or otherwise deters life saving legislation should be tried as an accessory in any future relevant c rime.i

I sure hope that Trump knows what he's doing with all the taxes (he prefers to call them tariffs) on Chinese goods.  The Dow Jones is down over 1,000 points as I type.

For the guy who proclaimed loudly and often about he great he is at making deals, he's been singularly unsuccessful at making a trade deal with the Chinese.  And now the whole thing seems to be heading for Armageddon.

As we head toward the 2020 election, the strong US economy was Trump's ace-in-the-hole. Maybe for not much longer.

Donald Trump Has Run Roughly 2,200 Facebook Ads Using the Word 'Invasion' Since May 2018

"We have an INVASION! So we are BUILDING THE WALL to STOP IT! Dems will sue us. But we want a SAFE COUNTRY!," one of Trump's advertised posts read. "It's CRITICAL that we STOP THE INVASION. Nancy Pelosi and Democrats have no negotiated in good faith to fund a wall at our Southern Border, proving that OBSTRUCTION is far more important to them than YOUR SAFETY..."

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I sure hope that Trump knows what he's doing with all the taxes (he prefers to call them tariffs) on Chinese goods.  The Dow Jones is down over 1,000 points as I type.

For the guy who proclaimed loudly and often about he great he is at making deals, he's been singularly unsuccessful at making a trade deal with the Chinese.  And now the whole thing seems to be heading for Armageddon.

As we head toward the 2020 election, the strong US economy was Trump's ace-in-the-hole. Maybe for not much longer.

If he genuinely knows what he's doing it will be a first. Meanwhile his acolytes remain the equivalent of the three "wise" monkeys.

This trade war with China has now become his own vendetta against Xi. Much like anyone who has the gall to stand up to him, he's morphed it into a personal feud, the ******* has had it all his own way all his privileged life that he can't handle it any other way.

Whatever the outcome, he'll be "alright Jack". The rest of us should not question hs all-encompassing superiority.

I've said it before, but I literally despise the cretin.

Anyhow, have we signed a feckin midfielder yet? :angry:

Wouldn't surprise me if Donnie tipped off his hedge funder golf buddies to the China tariff hike and let them fill their short sell boots plus a commission to him. 

Edited by JackLadd

Two mass shootings on the weekend.

China devalues its currency, heating up the trade war.

The Dow Jones drops nearly 1,000 points in one day.

Iran seizes another tanker in international waters.

The situation with Venezuela is spiralling out of control.

And what did Trump do today?  He played golf. Maybe he's out of his depth with this Presidency thing. Just maybe.

21 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Two mass shootings on the weekend.

China devalues its currency, heating up the trade war.

The Dow Jones drops nearly 1,000 points in one day.

Iran seizes another tanker in international waters.

The situation with Venezuela is spiralling out of control.

And what did Trump do today?  He played golf. Maybe he's out of his depth with this Presidency thing. Just maybe.

What was his score?

chuck berrys hairline
10 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Donald Trump Has Run Roughly 2,200 Facebook Ads Using the Word 'Invasion' Since May 2018

"We have an INVASION! So we are BUILDING THE WALL to STOP IT! Dems will sue us. But we want a SAFE COUNTRY!," one of Trump's advertised posts read. "It's CRITICAL that we STOP THE INVASION. Nancy Pelosi and Democrats have no negotiated in good faith to fund a wall at our Southern Border, proving that OBSTRUCTION is far more important to them than YOUR SAFETY..."

That boot needs to piss off back behind a bar. She's as fake as the rest of them. How she ever made it to Congress with like 14% of her district vote astounds me. Can imagine her outcry if it was trump next to a fence faking ice camp visits 🤭

AOC-Liar-1024x600.jpg

I think it was CNN yesterday afternoon when they broke in with Breaking News. The report was that MitchMcconnel had fallen at his home and broken his shoulder. He was treated at emergency and allowed home. I have neither seen or heard this mentioned since.

As an elderly person I have had a few friends had falls and injuries, one thing that has been consistent is how careful medical staff are with older people immediately after falls, as complications often follow after. I also found it somewhat coincidental that Mcconnel was being urged to recall the Senate and get the two pieces of legislation to gun control which he is alleged to be sitting on for months delaying any action. It has been noted he has been given at least 1.2 million dollars in contributions by the NRA. This injury and treatment which has not been discussed much may have happened at a pretty good time for him.

Craig Gordons Gloves
10 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

That boot needs to piss off back behind a bar. She's as fake as the rest of them. How she ever made it to Congress with like 14% of her district vote astounds me. Can imagine her outcry if it was trump next to a fence faking ice camp visits 🤭

AOC-Liar-1024x600.jpg

I think you may be confused, she gained 78% of the vote in her district.  Her opponent got 14% though, is that where you're getting mixed up? 

As for your comment about fake visits, i assume you think the moon landing was fake and that jet fuel can't melt steel beams....

12 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

AOC-Liar-1024x600.jpg

:wtfvlad:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
23 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

AOC-Liar-1024x600.jpg

:rofl:

Jesus, this is an incredibly powerful monologue from Eddie Glaude.

Edited by Justin Z
For better video link

On 06/08/2019 at 08:07, chuck berrys hairline said:

AOC-Liar-1024x600.jpg

You don't have a clue do you????

Just watched Joe Biden give a speech, I have to say it was powerful, critical, and well spoken. I have to admit never really watch him with any great interest but compared to Trump who cannot even get it correct with a prompter Biden moved, looked around and if I was Trump I would be concerned if he Biden was to be this resolute and forceful during  campaign debates.

Many waiting in El Paso to demonstrate against Trump and tell him he is not welcome

I P Knightley

What 'other types of supremacist' are there, other than white supremacists? It's as embarrassing as his mealy-mouthed 'good people on both sides' crap.

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

What 'other types of supremacist' are there, other than white supremacists? It's as embarrassing as his mealy-mouthed 'good people on both sides' crap.

That's exactly what it was designed to do. He mentioned Antifa--the whole thing with Antifa from the start has been to create a false dichotomy that he can then pretend to be reasonably in the middle of, and he's gotten help from the obsequious toady Ted Cruz among others.

Francis Albert
10 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Hindu supremacists are running India at the moment and have just taken over part of mainly Muslim Kashmir.

Francis Albert
17 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Just watched Joe Biden give a speech, I have to say it was powerful, critical, and well spoken. I have to admit never really watch him with any great interest but compared to Trump who cannot even get it correct with a prompter Biden moved, looked around and if I was Trump I would be concerned if he Biden was to be this resolute and forceful during  campaign debates.

Many waiting in El Paso to demonstrate against Trump and tell him he is not welcome

Biden has by far the best chance (of the 20 plus Democrats competing for the nomination) of defeating Trump.

But he is old, white and male so will struggle in a Democratic party that increasingly values "diversity" above all.

Francis Albert
19 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Jesus, this is an incredibly powerful monologue from Eddie Glaude.

Yep. James Baldwinesque.  Reading Baldwin's essays 60 years on is still as close as you will get to understanding the USA and its racism.

Edited by Francis Albert

39 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yep. James Baldwinesque.  Reading Baldwin's essays 60 years on is still as close as you will get to understanding the USA and its racism.

A virtual unknown these days, tragically.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

Sadly his books seem to be not much read these days. However there has been a bit of a revival in interest in his work in the last few years, with the Director of Oscar winning "Moonlight" 's film of "If Beale Street Could Talk" last year and the documentary film "I am not your *****" in 2016. The latter is particularly worth catching - it includes a devastating talk show put-down of a white professor (Harvard I think) who dared to suggest Baldwin had as a writer/intellectual more in common with him than with the people  he wrote about and championed. (If the professor ever showed his face in public again he had a thicker skin than Trump)And also a description of a meeting of black leaders with JFK which demonstrated just how out of touch JFK was despite his "liberalism" (and peculiar popularity with blacks).

(Bizarre example of PC censorship there. It is how Baldwin and most black people described themselves in those days)

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
58 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sadly his books seem to be not much read these days. However there has been a bit of a revival in interest in his work in the last few years, with the Director of Oscar winning "Moonlight" 's film of "If Beale Street Could Talk" last year and the documentary film "I am not your *****" in 2016. The latter is particularly worth catching - it includes a devastating talk show put-down of a white professor (Harvard I think) who dared to suggest Baldwin had as a writer/intellectual more in common with him than with the people  he wrote about and championed. (If the professor ever showed his face in public again he had a thicker skin than Trump)And also a description of a meeting of black leaders with JFK which demonstrated just how out of touch JFK was despite his "liberalism" (and peculiar popularity with blacks).

(Bizarre example of PC censorship there. It is how Baldwin and most black people described themselves in those days)

Sorry ... it was a meeting with Robert Kennedy not JFK ... apologies to the latter, though I suspect he was no more in reality in touch with race issues than his brother.

I am not sure which brother advised American blacks to "look at the Irish" as examples of how to "progress" in the USA. As Baldwin pointed out the only experience of the Irish at the time that most blacks had was of being beaten by racist Irish cops. "Yes, LOOK at the Irish" was Baldwin's caustic retort, accompanied by a reminder that compared to black Americans Irish Americans had only just got off the boat.

Edited by Francis Albert

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Unknown to me until now.

Not any more though.

Thanks, chaps.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)