U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Thought she would have hammered Trump more on his lies and cover up on when his last negative test was and his reckless behaviour infecting his whole White House, other than that she roasted him pretty well, even the fly was having a feast on a toasty Pence.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Watched about 25 minutes and less questions answered directly  than our lot.

Indeed if our lot answered one each, they would have answered infinitely more.

I was disappointed that Harris didn't have a response ready to the chat about stacking the Supreme Court. Surely they have an idea of what they want to do and can justify it on logical, democratic grounds? I'd be saying, "Hell, Yeah, I'm going to make sure that the SCOTUS reflects the wishes of the popular vote. I'm not going to force in a judge whose views are diametrically at odds with the country's sentiment". It's not as if (a) saying nothing will stop Trump shouting that that's their plan or (b ) voters will think stacking SCOTUS is any worse than what Trump's up to.

Likewise, I was surprised that Pence didn't have anything to say about abortion in his own state. I thought he was a committed Christian, pro-life and all that. Chickened out, though.

John Gentleman
14 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I was disappointed that Harris didn't have a response ready to the chat about stacking the Supreme Court. Surely they have an idea of what they want to do and can justify it on logical, democratic grounds? I'd be saying, "Hell, Yeah, I'm going to make sure that the SCOTUS reflects the wishes of the popular vote. I'm not going to force in a judge whose views are diametrically at odds with the country's sentiment". It's not as if (a) saying nothing will stop Trump shouting that that's their plan or (b ) voters will think stacking SCOTUS is any worse than what Trump's up to.

Likewise, I was surprised that Pence didn't have anything to say about abortion in his own state. I thought he was a committed Christian, pro-life and all that. Chickened out, though.

Rule #1 of politics – never reveal your hand to your opponents. If they (the Dems) grab the senate and presidency they can add 2 Supreme Court positions and/or incorporate Puerto Rico and Washington DC into the federacy (what an ugly word). But 'ugly' is the name of the game in this imbroglio...

Edited by John Gentleman

Lone Striker
8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think Americans try to turn politics into some sort of entertainment whereas British politicians really go for the issues in a far more concise and professional manner.

In the US It's like a TV show or Hollywood film which is one reason they elect an actor like Arnie as governor of California and an actor like Reagan plus an entirely unqualified reality TV host like Trump to president. Oprah was suggested as Democratic candidate for president for crying out loud. And countless other celebrities have been suggested to run.

How many times have you seen Americans cry "(insert name) for president" every time there's a man of the moment so to speak? 

Could you envisage say Cilla Black running for leader of the Labour party then PM or Hugh Grant who actually played the PM in a film being elected PM?

Can you imagine Trump facing say a Robin Day on question time?

:cornette:    .....  unless you're implying she has more life about her the Corbyn !!  :whistling:

😉   Agree with  your points though.      It would be entertaining to have Trump interviewed by Andrew Neil ........ although Trump probably wouldn't turn up, and give some lame excuse - just like Boris did. 

Did anyone else pick up on the irony  at the end of  Trump's triumphalism yesterday when he spoke at the WH ?  Claiming he feels better than he's done for years  ..... a blessing from God that he caught the virus and then recovered ......and that it was him who ordered the medics to give him the wonder drugs. 

Then the ironic compassionate comment that he wants every   American * to be given the same drugs.    This after drowning out Biden in the debate by mocking  his "socialized medicine" policy !!

*  ( you have to be white, rich and vote Republican to qualify).

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think Americans try to turn politics into some sort of entertainment whereas British politicians really go for the issues in a far more concise and professional manner.

Boris Johnson hid in a ****ing fridge to avoid being quesitoned and hid from Andrew Neil throughout the election campaign.

3fingersreid
22 minutes ago, Barack said:

Very good 😀

flies do like gathering on shite shouldn’t be a surprise where it landed tbh

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Man, what a woeful state of affairs. The woman handling the debate was hopeless too. Pence looks like a ****ing Android. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, John Gentleman said:

Rule #1 of politics – never reveal your hand to your opponents. If they (the Dems) grab the senate and presidency they can add 2 Supreme Court positions and/or incorporate Puerto Rico and Washington DC into the federacy (what an ugly word). But 'ugly' is the name of the game in this imbroglio...

"Imbroglio" is also an ugly word :D

You are, of course, correct. I'd just love it if someone had the balls-out confidence just to say, "This is what we're going to do. We're going to do it because it's right. We're going to do it because it's fair. We're going to do it because we know it's what the majority of you want. And, most of all, we're saying we're going to do it because we know it won't lose us a single vote."

I just heard on the news that the organisation in charge of the debates (the master debaters?) have said the next debate will be done virtually. Very sensible, given that the White House has had more diagnosed cases in the last week than the whole of New Zealand and a host of other countries. I wouldn't want camera crews, stewards, moderators and others going within 100 metres of them.

The big, bald, orange baby's toys will be out the pram. He's said before that he'll only do face-to-face with a live audience because he likes a mass debate. I wonder whether his refusal to take part virtually will go against him?

2 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

natalieimbruglia.JPG?itok=U8qh6w3C

Natalie Imbroglio. :ruiner:

2 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

natalieimbruglia.JPG?itok=U8qh6w3C

Natalie Imbroglio. :ruiner:

She bought me a coffee once and we had a very pleasant half hour sitting chatting. Or in my case mumbling and stammering as I tried not to stare. 

Craig Gordons Gloves

He's already said he won't do the debate virtually and instead will hold a rally.  

Give it an hour or two and he'll have changed his mind.  A rally for your already decided voters won't help him.  

SwindonJambo

The Dems are now 2-1 on at the bookies and repubs 2-1 against. Biden has a consistent lead in polls of 10%+ and is predicted to win all 14 swing states except Texas.

Trump is screwed. I wouldn't put anything past him in a bid to cling to power including contriving a situation and declaring a state of emergency. He is a despot.

35 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

He's already said he won't do the debate virtually and instead will hold a rally.  

Give it an hour or two and he'll have changed his mind.  A rally for your already decided voters won't help him.  

it would stroke is ego though

Rumors circulating the fly was actually a tiny drone controlled by the leftist Democrat Party, trying to put off Pence.

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

The Dems are now 2-1 on at the bookies and repubs 2-1 against. Biden has a consistent lead in polls of 10%+ and is predicted to win all 14 swing states except Texas.

Trump is screwed. I wouldn't put anything past him in a bid to cling to power including contriving a situation and declaring a state of emergency. He is a despot.

The Economist is predicting that there is a 99% chance that Biden will get the most votes, and a 91% chance that Biden will win the Electoral College.  There is a very real possibility of a landslide victory for Biden.

https://projects.economist.com/us-2020-forecast/president

Whether or not Trump accepts the results of the election is a different matter, and I cannot imagine Trump EVER delivering a concession speech.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
14 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Not once have I seen anything coming on to this forum supporting Trump actually explain why. No attempt at even a single redeeming quality of this orange plague.

I also suspect they're going to look ever more absurd when he's ejected from that office and has no no further scope to hinder investigation into him. The tax thing is just the tip of the criminal iceberg.

A tip his own sister predicted would come to the surface when he was elected. She knew his taxes would get greater scrutiny than ever before exposing the tax scamming of the entire family over decades. The orange clown wouldn't listen to her and here it is, exactly what she said would happen.

We're also going to see the current enablers run for cover trying to distance themselves from him in case they too get dragged into the criminal investigations coming his way.

Because they don't support his ideas. The attraction for them is just the trolling and seeing people get wound up. The entire belief system of most people who support Trump is just "**** liberals" and that's about it.

6 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Because they don't support his ideas. The attraction for them is just the trolling and seeing people get wound up. The entire belief system of most people who support Trump is just "**** liberals" and that's about it.

True. What you've just described is the actual Trump Derangement Syndrome. It's scary.

“Own the Libs” Is Gradually Morphing Into “Kill the Libs”

I P Knightley
19 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The Economist is predicting that there is a 99% chance that Biden will get the most votes, and a 91% chance that Biden will win the Electoral College.  There is a very real possibility of a landslide victory for Biden.

https://projects.economist.com/us-2020-forecast/president

Whether or not Trump accepts the results of the election is a different matter, and I cannot imagine Trump EVER delivering a concession speech.

As a stats geek, I love that page! I've been looking at it every day for the last 2 or 3 weeks and find something new almost every day. The expected number of Democrat electoral college votes has risen by 4% since the shitshow of a 'debate' and there's been clear blue water between the two candidates since early June.

The "chance of winning each state" graphic underneath the map of the US reads left to right as 'Places I P Knightley would ever consider visiting if he ever went back to the US' that I'd have drawn up before knowing their voting intentions.

I was interested to read that the correlation between voting in California and Texas is stronger than California with New York. I suppose that goes back to the days of Ronnie Reagan.

I P Knightley
13 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

And, as been pointed out repeatedly on this thread, what they view as being "liberal" would, in many other countries be considered a wee bit too Genghissyy for ttheir liking.

Trump claims that his Illness was 'a blessing from god'

Don't be shocked if he comes out with something along the lines of: God must have been looking after me.

And the evangelicals will all proclaim that he's god's chosen leader of America.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54455040

What a stroke of luck Trump getting Covid and making such a miraculous recovery in time for the election.

Some boy, the Donald is.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Trump claims that his Illness was 'a blessing from god'

Don't be shocked if he comes out with something along the lines of: God must have been looking after me.

And the evangelicals will all proclaim that he's god's chosen leader of America.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54455040

What a stroke of luck Trump getting Covid and making such a miraculous recovery in time for the election.

Some boy, the Donald is.

Some of them already do.

A couple of years ago I saw a program on TV where several people were asked about Trump as they were leaving church.  One woman stated that Trump was chosen by Jesus, so "if he's good enough for Jesus he's good enough for me!"

:wtf: 

Donald Trump gives an outrageous interview to Fox Business Network host Maria Bartiromo where he is as incoherent as he is dishonest.

Kalamazoo Jambo
8 hours ago, Barack said:

Oh, wait. Yes, I do.

20201008_174205.jpg

Yep, wonder where these terrorists got their encouragement from?

People on the right were recently complaining about the extra security being installed around the Governor's Mansion in Michigan. Wonder why that was needed...

Also, in case this this wasn't clear to the non-Michiganders who read Kickback (gonna guess that's a majority), Gretchen Whitmer is more popular in Michigan that Donald Trump, largely due to her handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.

22 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Could you envisage say Cilla Black running for leader of the Labour party then PM or Hugh Grant who actually played the PM in a film being elected PM?

:whistling:

sddefault.jpg

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Is that someone running for PM? :whistling:

Well, not quite but she did threaten to go up against Tony Blair for the leadership of the Labour party. 😋

A Boy Named Crow
16 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

If he doesn't show up, there's already a tried and tested stand in...

image.png.10766b8ee0f3bddc2d52a0f3b8fa0526.png

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, Barack said:

This might come as a big shock. But he's not won the Nobel Prize.

The Ig Nobel Prize perhaps?

There's some crackers in there, particularly the narcissim/eyebrows prizewinners. 😉

Trump was a joint winner of the 'MEDICAL EDUCATION PRIZE'. He's got some truly awful company there.

Edited by John Gentleman

11 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Donald Trump gives an outrageous interview to Fox Business Network host Maria Bartiromo where he is as incoherent as he is dishonest.

Just announced he is going to be on Fox again tonight - this time via video. 

2 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

For the love of God will somebody think of the tiny fish.

:trippin:

No way is that real?

It must be out of context or something?   But even then.... how could it be?

Is he genuinely off his face?

10 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

tenor.gif

Why can't you post gifs?

b5651f038232d6713083dafedf296a47.gif

As far as Trump's comments go, there's a kernel of truth regarding water extraction and the environment, but as usual he's offering a simplistic solution to a complicated problem 

Ron Burgundy
2 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

b5651f038232d6713083dafedf296a47.gif

As far as Trump's comments go, there's a kernel of truth regarding water extraction and the environment, but as usual he's offering a simplistic solution to a complicated problem 

He's addressing Americans, makes sense to dumb things down.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)