U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

I think recently they have been trying to persuade him to stop talking and stick to a script, and this is what happens. He's a known non reader, he can't pronounce many written words.

And how do you get him to practice it beforehand while everyone is trying to pretend he's not an idiot they're treating like a child. 

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Cade said:

Have you seen his briefing notes?

They're written in sharpie in text about an inch high.

The man is only barely literate. 

His niece said in her book that she suspects he has undiagnosed or unacknowledged learning disabilities. And she's not the only one who thinks that.

White House officials are concerned Donald Trump has learning disabilities, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), or even the early stages of dementia, the author of an explosive new book on the US President has claimed.

In an interview with the Mail on Sunday, Michael Wolff, the author of Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, described Mr Trump as a "rich wastrel" who was "bad at school".

He told the paper: "They discuss it at the White House: his apparent inability to read one page or one paragraph. He can't even follow a PowerPoint.

"They wonder where that is from. ADHD? A learning disability? They thought maybe the guy couldn't read or is semi-literate."

His comments come after the President attacked his critics on Twitter, dismissing allegations he is unfit to lead the US and proclaiming himself to be "like, really smart" and a "very stable genius".

FULL ARTICLE

Why Trump Can’t Learn: An Educated Guess by a Veteran Teacher

Dyslexia may explain a lot about the twisted behavior of the president.

While dyslexia has been mentioned now and then as one of the reasons Donald Trump is so ignorant of what it takes to govern in a free society, I want to explore it as foundational to his inability to learn and grow while in office—and also as a way to link disparate troubling elements in his makeup.

So what follows is the informed speculation of a former classroom teacher.

Considering Trump’s well-documented aversion to reading and his difficulty with complex sentence structures when he talks without a script, my hunch is that he has mild to moderate dyslexia, a neurobiological condition that makes it difficult to learn to read and can also affect sentence formation and vocabulary. When he was young it may not have been adequately diagnosed and treated.

Because trying to read was frustrating, as time went on he read as little as possible. Because he experienced humiliation and shame in the early grades when he saw other children acquiring information with ease from books, I believe he came to resent those children who were academically successful, who loved school, and drew the teacher’s praise. His own natural curiosity about the world waned.

Trump has left himself no way to enjoy learning and to benefit from knowledge. As he grew older, he neither had the patience to laboriously read even moderately difficult material.

Nor could he enjoy listening to people who knew a lot more about specific realms of knowledge than he did. That felt like school, which he hated. Reporting indicates he still can’t tolerate policy briefings of more than a few minutes.

How does Trump’s difficulty in reading relate to his penchant for uttering falsehoods? I think he began faking when he was six or seven and couldn't keep up with the other children his age who had learned their letters and were starting to read sentences and little stories.

He wanted to be "great" so he made things up. Faking got baked into his personality. He couldn’t stop now, not for anything.

Trump was fortunate to find a lucrative role in television where he didn’t need to read much and his fakery, tall tales, and grandiosity enhanced his media personality.  If only he had stayed there!

Instead, he turned into a president who not only disregards expertise and knowledge but also enjoys surrounding himself with people who are totally unsuited to their offices or are even more ignorant than he is.

He especially rejects academics, scientists, and people with deep knowledge of other cultures when they oppose his actions. These people are to be scorned and distanced from his regime. He loves lording it over them and making them unhappy.

Consider his current imposition of very large tariffs on imports from China and elsewhere despite vehement opposition from a whole array of economists, diplomats and international trade experts.

He simply cannot allow himself to learn from those people and refuses to admit he has made  bad decisions and should change course.

Estimates are that Trump’s reading level is about fifth grade, maybe fourth or sixth. That’s enough to tweet and to follow a teleprompter, but not enough to comprehend an ordinary longish article in The Wall Street Journal.

If there were a way to give him a reading test, I would have someone choose a few such articles, give him three times as long to read them as a typical Journal reader would take, and then ask him for a coherent explanation of what’s in each one.

I would wager thousands of dollars that he couldn’t do it. He could never have read his textbooks at the Wharton School. Someone would have had to read them aloud to him or create "bullet points" so he would grasp the main ideas.

Dyslexia is not predictive of a particular fate but combines with elements in each person's personality.

One person might become an excellent forest guide who knows all the birds, small creatures, and trees intimately and doesn't need to rely on reading.

By contrast, another might undertake a strenuous course of tutoring to maintain grade level in school, be open about his or her reading problem, ask for extra time in exams, and eventually graduate from college with a stellar record.

A third might inherit a lot of money, then create and monitor a foundation to help people with various disabilities. A fourth, discouraged, might drop out of school and settle for doing odd jobs in the neighborhood.

And a fifth might fake and falsify his way to fame and power and enjoy lording it over so-called “smart” people and thwarting their hopes.

I am suggesting that Trump’s lifelong experience with dyslexia, instead of increasing his capacity for compassion, has instead combined with problematic elements in his personality, including a penchant for revenge that was apparent even when he was a young adult.

The result is a toxic combination of ignorance. Because it was so hard for him to learn from books—coupled with his unwillingness to listen to people with deep knowledge and alternative perspectives—he nurtured resentment and mistrust.

He just doesn’t have what it takes to govern thoughtfully and fairly in a free society. Instead he exhibits a combative complacency, a receptivity to unworkable and dangerous ideas, an admiration of dictators, and an almost savage destructive push that is causing severe ongoing harm to our democracy.

Thanks for reading. If my thoughts help people create and implement strategies for resistance and find ways to legally cut Trump’s term short, I will be grateful to have made a contribution.

Harriet Feinberg, a retired educator, taught English at the University of Massachusetts in Boston. She edited the English translation of the autobiography of Dutch Jewish feminist and peace advocate Aletta Jacobs and co-edited, with poet Ruth Whitman, a collection of essays by poets-in-the-schools. She holds an Ed.D from the Harvard Graduate School of Education.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/17/why-trump-cant-learn-educated-guess-veteran-teacher

On 04/08/2020 at 04:30, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Full interview. 

Apart from the obvious humour, this really highlights how much of a space cadet he really is!

I read that the State of New York is filing suit to get the NRA disbanded.

That should make Trump choke on his cheeseburger at breakfast tomorrow.

Kalamazoo Jambo
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just seen a Biden interview where he stumbles over the words “physical and mental fitness”. They could have put almost anyone up against Trump and won at a canter, but this guy is going to cost them. It’ll be very close come November. 

Biden may be a gaffe machine but he also has a stutter.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Just seen a Biden interview where he stumbles over the words “physical and mental fitness”. They could have put almost anyone up against Trump and won at a canter, but this guy is going to cost them. It’ll be very close come November. 

It's a tricky one. I'm not sure they could have picked anyone. They've gone as inoffensive as they probably could. I think that's probably for the best. Trump's supporters are so intolerant and even more moderate conservative Americans are so reactionary, it was possible to get the Democrat selection wrong. Most of the men are far too patriarchal to vote for Harris or Warren, and the white women who voted for Trump like play the role Stepford Wives, home baking, look after the neighborhood, take the kids to soccer practice, but all off them are absolutely brimming with resentment and loathing. Biden is probably the best option they had. 

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Why Trump Can’t Learn: An Educated Guess by a Veteran Teacher

Dyslexia may explain a lot about the twisted behavior of the president.

While dyslexia has been mentioned now and then as one of the reasons Donald Trump is so ignorant of what it takes to govern in a free society, I want to explore it as foundational to his inability to learn and grow while in office—and also as a way to link disparate troubling elements in his makeup.

So what follows is the informed speculation of a former classroom teacher.

Considering Trump’s well-documented aversion to reading and his difficulty with complex sentence structures when he talks without a script, my hunch is that he has mild to moderate dyslexia, a neurobiological condition that makes it difficult to learn to read and can also affect sentence formation and vocabulary. When he was young it may not have been adequately diagnosed and treated.

Because trying to read was frustrating, as time went on he read as little as possible. Because he experienced humiliation and shame in the early grades when he saw other children acquiring information with ease from books, I believe he came to resent those children who were academically successful, who loved school, and drew the teacher’s praise. His own natural curiosity about the world waned.

Trump has left himself no way to enjoy learning and to benefit from knowledge. As he grew older, he neither had the patience to laboriously read even moderately difficult material.

Nor could he enjoy listening to people who knew a lot more about specific realms of knowledge than he did. That felt like school, which he hated. Reporting indicates he still can’t tolerate policy briefings of more than a few minutes.

How does Trump’s difficulty in reading relate to his penchant for uttering falsehoods? I think he began faking when he was six or seven and couldn't keep up with the other children his age who had learned their letters and were starting to read sentences and little stories.

He wanted to be "great" so he made things up. Faking got baked into his personality. He couldn’t stop now, not for anything.

Trump was fortunate to find a lucrative role in television where he didn’t need to read much and his fakery, tall tales, and grandiosity enhanced his media personality.  If only he had stayed there!

Instead, he turned into a president who not only disregards expertise and knowledge but also enjoys surrounding himself with people who are totally unsuited to their offices or are even more ignorant than he is.

He especially rejects academics, scientists, and people with deep knowledge of other cultures when they oppose his actions. These people are to be scorned and distanced from his regime. He loves lording it over them and making them unhappy.

Consider his current imposition of very large tariffs on imports from China and elsewhere despite vehement opposition from a whole array of economists, diplomats and international trade experts.

He simply cannot allow himself to learn from those people and refuses to admit he has made  bad decisions and should change course.

Estimates are that Trump’s reading level is about fifth grade, maybe fourth or sixth. That’s enough to tweet and to follow a teleprompter, but not enough to comprehend an ordinary longish article in The Wall Street Journal.

If there were a way to give him a reading test, I would have someone choose a few such articles, give him three times as long to read them as a typical Journal reader would take, and then ask him for a coherent explanation of what’s in each one.

I would wager thousands of dollars that he couldn’t do it. He could never have read his textbooks at the Wharton School. Someone would have had to read them aloud to him or create "bullet points" so he would grasp the main ideas.

Dyslexia is not predictive of a particular fate but combines with elements in each person's personality.

One person might become an excellent forest guide who knows all the birds, small creatures, and trees intimately and doesn't need to rely on reading.

By contrast, another might undertake a strenuous course of tutoring to maintain grade level in school, be open about his or her reading problem, ask for extra time in exams, and eventually graduate from college with a stellar record.

A third might inherit a lot of money, then create and monitor a foundation to help people with various disabilities. A fourth, discouraged, might drop out of school and settle for doing odd jobs in the neighborhood.

And a fifth might fake and falsify his way to fame and power and enjoy lording it over so-called “smart” people and thwarting their hopes.

I am suggesting that Trump’s lifelong experience with dyslexia, instead of increasing his capacity for compassion, has instead combined with problematic elements in his personality, including a penchant for revenge that was apparent even when he was a young adult.

The result is a toxic combination of ignorance. Because it was so hard for him to learn from books—coupled with his unwillingness to listen to people with deep knowledge and alternative perspectives—he nurtured resentment and mistrust.

He just doesn’t have what it takes to govern thoughtfully and fairly in a free society. Instead he exhibits a combative complacency, a receptivity to unworkable and dangerous ideas, an admiration of dictators, and an almost savage destructive push that is causing severe ongoing harm to our democracy.

Thanks for reading. If my thoughts help people create and implement strategies for resistance and find ways to legally cut Trump’s term short, I will be grateful to have made a contribution.

Harriet Feinberg, a retired educator, taught English at the University of Massachusetts in Boston. She edited the English translation of the autobiography of Dutch Jewish feminist and peace advocate Aletta Jacobs and co-edited, with poet Ruth Whitman, a collection of essays by poets-in-the-schools. She holds an Ed.D from the Harvard Graduate School of Education.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/17/why-trump-cant-learn-educated-guess-veteran-teacher

Probably one of the best things I've read about Trumpet anywhere. Ms Feinberg, I want to have your babies.

47 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Probably one of the best things I've read about Trumpet anywhere. Ms Feinberg, I want to have your babies.

I believe this.

And this.

Bullet points? 😉

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

The self-confessed sex offender and alleged child rapist, that is Trump, is trying to further his appeal to the Christian Evangelicals by saying Biden is against God.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-53688217/trump-says-biden-is-against-god-and-he-s-against-guns

Trump tried to stop accuser Jean E Carroll's defamation rape lawsuit on the cretin. Failed.

The 13 y/o girl that claimed in 2016 that Trump raped her x4 times at Epstein residences in the 90s could well resurface when Ghislanine Maxwell is tried. Hope so.

Edited by JackLadd

12 hours ago, jonesy said:

You might be right, but I hope not.  If the election is close it will give Trump more reason to whine about a rigged election.

I think Biden's selection for running mate will have a big impact on the vote.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Trump tried to stop accuser Jean E Carroll's defamation rape lawsuit on the cretin. Failed.

The 13 y/o girl that claimed in 2016 that Trump raped her x4 times at Epstein residences in the 90s could well resurface when Ghislanine Maxwell is tried. Hope so.

Yes, he's a thoroughly disgusting pervert that the Evangelicals rally around. Horrible group of people.

19 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Thesauras and Yosemite proved difficult for the President.

And his inability to pronounce Thailand correctly going for Thighland instead. 

12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Bet it's not the first time he's gone for thighland...

13 minutes ago, Boof said:

Bet it's not the first time he's gone for thighland...

well it is on the way to pussy grab

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Imagine trying to defend the bumbling, incoherent idiot by lying that that's how all English speakers say it...he's getting suitably owned on Twitter  from English speakers all around the world.

Edited by PortyJambo

1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Imagine trying to defend the bumbling, incoherent idiot by lying that that's how all English speakers say it...he's getting suitably owned on Twitter  from English speakers all around the world.

I want to hear him try something like rhododendron. Watch him, he struggles with almost anything that has more than a couple of syllables.

Twitter is a cesspit. 

2 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

3fingersreid

His choice of music to a trump rally in Ohio was a bit insensitive , Live and Let Die, as Covid is weaving it’s way through America . 
Im never sure if I should be laughing or crying at this clown . 

Edited by 3fingersreid

SwindonJambo
10 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

His choice of music to a trump rally in Ohio was a bit insensitive , Live and Let Die, as Covid is weaving it’s way through America . 

Hopefully Paul McCartney will raise a cease and desist order. No one seems to want him to use their music.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

Hopefully Paul McCartney will raise a cease and desist order. No one seems to want him to use their music.

He might get a hand from Guns N Roses as he used their version , 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Which is a cracking name for a strip club, to be fair. Another business venture?

That same thought went through my mind too!!

SwindonJambo
49 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

He might get a hand from Guns N Roses as he used their version , 

Interesting! I wonder what happens in those sort of circumstance. I don't know what G&R's  politics are but I'd imagine Sir Macca's none too pleased.

Whatever the version used, it's in very poor taste

Dagger Is Back
49 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Interesting! I wonder what happens in those sort of circumstance. I don't know what G&R's  politics are but I'd imagine Sir Macca's none too pleased.

Whatever the version used, it's in very poor taste

It is in poor taste and GNR don't like him one little bit. Suspect that a cease and desist will be on it's way 

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

It is in poor taste and GNR don't like him one little bit. Suspect that a cease and desist will be on it's way 

Neil Young, Bon Jovi and Springsteen can't stand him either. He'll have a very limited list of musicians who will permit the use of their songs.

Dagger Is Back
13 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Neil Young, Bon Jovi and Springsteen can't stand him either. He'll have a very limited list of musicians who will permit the use of their songs.

Indeed

Kanye West will help him out. They deserve each other to be fair. Mind you musician is maybe a stretch 

SwindonJambo
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Indeed

Kanye West will help him out. They deserve each other to be fair. Mind you musician is maybe a stretch 

Too true 😂 One very stable "genius" helping another. 

I'm sure a week or 2 ago, a long list of musicians put their names on a list asking that no politicians used their songs in this upcoming Presidential shitshow. Pretty sure Macca and the Stones are on it, plus many more.

19 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Too true 😂 One very stable "genius" helping another. 

I'm sure a week or 2 ago, a long list of musicians put their names on a list asking that no politicians used their songs in this upcoming Presidential shitshow. Pretty sure Macca and the Stones are on it, plus many more.

The Stones have threatened him with a lawsuit after repeated use of their music despite them having insisted he stop. Such issues go all the way back to his 2016 campaign when he was using Adele's 'rolling in the deep' which she objected to. Nobody wants their material to be associated with this nut.

The Rolling Stones are taking “further steps” to prevent Donald Trump from using their music at his rallies after the president’s campaign ignored the previous cease-and-desist letters. “This could be the last time Trump uses any Jagger/ Richards songs on his campaigns,” the band’s rep said in a statement.

In a statement Saturday, the band announced that their legal team and performing rights organization BMI sent another warning to Trump’s campaign that, if the president continued to use the band’s music, he could face a lawsuit.

FULL ARTICLE

Total American deaths in WWI and the Korean war combined was about 150,000.

American deaths from COVID-19, so far, is 160,000 and climbing. In the not-too-distant future, the total will exceed American war deaths even when you add in the 60,000 deaths of Vietnam.

Maybe Trump was wrong when he downplayed the disease in March and April.  Maybe he was wrong when he said it would simply disappear.

J.T.F.Robertson
7 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

The laughs wore thin a long time ago. (mine anyhow)

20 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Total American deaths in WWI and the Korean war combined was about 150,000.

American deaths from COVID-19, so far, is 160,000 and climbing. In the not-too-distant future, the total will exceed American war deaths even when you add in the 60,000 deaths of Vietnam.

Maybe Trump was wrong when he downplayed the disease in March and April.  Maybe he was wrong when he said it would simply disappear.

I suspect over 300K by the end of the year to be realistic. He's determined to pretend it's going away when that's clearly ludicrous. So chances are he will continue pushing ridiculous practices like forcing schools open and the bodies will continue stacking up.

Trumps problem with this is that he's used to talking mindless shite to his whooping crowds and they swallow it, no questions asked. He simply hasn't grasped that you can lie to a virus all you want but it simply wont respond.

Biology, it's neither negotiable nor amenable to fantasy no matter how many times you repeat the fantasy.

3fingersreid
6 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

The laughs wore thin a long time ago. (mine anyhow)

I certainly never thought I’d see the day a sitting potus made George W Bush look like a top 5 Mensa brain 

how ,just how could people with some intelligence actually vote for him, particularly women given his past history . The rednecks I get but intelligent people? 

The Trumpet has decided to start a trade war with America's biggest trading partner, Canada.  He's imposing a 10% import tax on Canadian aluminum.  It would appear that his much ballyhooed NAFTA(2), which is very similar to NAFTA(1), wasn't so good after all.  So much for Trump being a great deal maker.

The response of the Canadian government is *sigh* "Here we go again", and within 30 days Canada will impose import duties on American products on a dollar-for-dollar basis.  That's the way it will stay until this president, or the next, sees common sense and the  import taxes will be removed.

All this silliness so that Trump can maybe get a few extra votes in Ohio.

9 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The Trumpet has decided to start a trade war with America's biggest trading partner, Canada.  He's imposing a 10% import tax on Canadian aluminum.  It would appear that his much ballyhooed NAFTA(2), which is very similar to NAFTA(1), wasn't so good after all.  So much for Trump being a great deal maker.

The response of the Canadian government is *sigh* "Here we go again", and within 30 days Canada will impose import duties on American products on a dollar-for-dollar basis.  That's the way it will stay until this president, or the next, sees common sense and the  import taxes will be removed.

I didn't now you had so much oil. I'm surprised they haven't invaded. 

24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I didn't now you had so much oil. I'm surprised they haven't invaded. 

I have seen Canada rated as the 4th largest producer and 4th largest exporter of oil in the world. With the 3rd largest proven reserves behind Venezuela and Saudi Arabia. 

38 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm expecting trade matters to get back to business as usual when the freak is gone. Might be a little more difficult to assuage pissed off allies who have been attacked by Trump while he bizarrely cozies up to natural and indisputable enemies like Putin.

The clown has not the first idea of the complexities of global economics. Word from the inside indicates that no one tries to talk him out of his stupidity in large part because if you do then you're not there much longer.

Apparently all he consistently listens to is Jared Kushner and Ivanka and some are even saying that Kushner is in effect the president. Think about that. Two bubble heads who could barely form a brain between them running the nation.

If he isn't ousted in November they're doomed and may never fully recover. He would go all out to inflict as much permanent damage as possible. And who knows what the effects on the world may be.

I think we got lucky over the last 4 years that there was no major international crisis with the potential to spiral out of control. Would we get that lucky again?  

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I have seen Canada rated as the 4th largest producer and 4th largest exporter of oil in the world. With the 3rd largest proven reserves behind Venezuela and Saudi Arabia. 

I've read the same, but Wikipedia has the USA in 1st place with Venezuela at 11th. Weird?

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I've read the same, but Wikipedia has the USA in 1st place with Venezuela at 11th. Weird?

I think some lists get 'proven', 'probable' and 'possible' mixed up and total them all. Be careful unless it specifically states what kind of reserve it is listing. Also, some countries will purposefully misinterprete their numbers to make them seem more attractive. They will often add proven and probable together.

'BUILD THAT WALL'.

In 2016 it was vitally important, or so he said.  And Mexico was going to pay for it, or so he said. But they haven't built a wall, and Mexico laughed at Trump for his suggestion.

Now they've found yet another tunnel, which makes the notion of a wall laughable.  He's an idiot.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)