U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

31 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I remember speaking to a staff member in a diner over there and she asked where we were from. I said Scotland and she replied "what part of Ireland is that as I know your accent is Irish. I forgive the confusion with accents but thinking Scotland was a place in Ireland:mw_rolleyes:

One upon hearing my accent said to me are you from like Norway or sumthin? I says no i'm from Scotland. He then says your English is really good, I heard it's really hard to learn English.

Now i'm tempted to retort with well it might be I don't know, but it's easy when you grow up in an English speaking nation but I bite my tongue and just try to get away from him. He then follows on with do you know where all the languages came from?

I'm still trying to get away from him and now thinking he;s going to ramble on about Latin being the root of the romance languages and so on and I says no I don't know. He then says God created all the languages to punish people for building the tower of Babel.

True story. Mine not his.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm still trying to get away from him and now thinking he;s going to ramble on about Latin being the root of the romance languages and so on and I says no I don't know. He then says God created all the languages to punish people for building the tower of Babel.

:rofl: When Scots with a gleam in their eye ask me "why in the world would you pick Scotland of all places?" and I want to play along, the most honest answer is "because literally anywhere in the world would be a million times better, and Scotland were kind enough to take me in."

23 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Trump has a cheek to call anyone stupid, especially Merkel.

I suppose he knows, the only people more stupid than him are his supporters. Without any exceptions.

Yeah, the multi lingual Merkel and her her degree in quantum chemistry is a total idiot. While Trump is a self professed "very stable genius"

A genius who struggles to spell, read, and pronounce everyday words in English while having a knowledge of chemistry that makes him ponder the possibilities of injecting bleach as a treatment for covid-19.

It's annoying that he's simply too stupid to grasp the irony of a grunt like him calling someone like her an idiot.

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

:rofl: When Scots with a gleam in their eye ask me "why in the world would you pick Scotland of all places?" and I want to play along, the most honest answer is "because literally anywhere in the world would be a million times better, and Scotland were kind enough to take me in."

To be fair there are many Americans who know exactly how stupid a very large proportion of the population are. And it's a source of embarrassment for them. But none of them are Trump fans or certainly not the ones I know.

And i'm in Oklahoma, a place you would expect to find religious retardation on a massive scale. Where I live there's a mega church not too far away. My first Sunday here we went out for a drive and I was astounded to see that place coming out after the services had finished.

There were hordes of cops to direct the traffic. The nearest thing I had seen to it in Scotland was coming out of a big football match.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I remember speaking to a staff member in a diner over there and she asked where we were from. I said Scotland and she replied "what part of Ireland is that as I know your accent is Irish. I forgive the confusion with accents but thinking Scotland was a place in Ireland:mw_rolleyes:

Years ago I was in the Pebble Beach Pro shop and an American woman asked if I was from Dundee. :lol:

Never been so offended in all my life.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
15 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Yeah, the multi lingual Merkel and her her degree in quantum chemistry is a total idiot. While Trump is a self professed "very stable genius"

A genius who struggles to spell, read, and pronounce everyday words in English while having a knowledge of chemistry that makes him ponder the possibilities of injecting bleach as a treatment for covid-19.

It's annoying that he's simply too stupid to grasp the irony of a grunt like him calling someone like her an idiot.

Imagine the stories that will come out about him when he's no longer in a position of power?

I can't wait.

I cannot get my head around how that utter ****ing imbecile is in power. Every time I think I’ve seen another video which can’t possibly make him look more ridiculous, there’s another. He’s a dangerous *****, a lunatic.. a complete nut job and the fact there are not only thousands, but millions who support him is an extremely disturbing thought. 

4 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Imagine the stories that will come out about him when he's no longer in a position of power?

I can't wait.

It's already begun the link you posted and the Bolton book just a couple of examples. But as you say it's likely to become a deluge when he's out of the oval office.

I expect to see a lot of back stabbing as those who are enabling the madness right now try to paint themselves as simply pretending to support him in an effort to limit the insanity.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

It's already begun the link you posted and the Bolton book just a couple of examples. But as you say it's likely to become a deluge when he's out of the oval office.

I expect to see a lot of back stabbing as those who are enabling the madness right now try to paint themselves as simply pretending to support him in an effort to limit the insanity.

There will be loads of Republican rats deserting Trump once his duff has been shot. All will claim they were trying to change things from within, when actually it was self-preservation and their voters were an afterthought.

26 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

There will be loads of Republican rats deserting Trump once his duff has been shot. All will claim they were trying to change things from within, when actually it was self-preservation and their voters were an afterthought.

I'm encouraged that it all looks set to fall apart for him, even Republican groups are turning on him. Presumably reasoning that this is a walking disaster area endangering not only the future credibility of their party but the country itself.

One of these groups is called the 'Lincoln Project' and they're getting under his admittedly thin skin big time.

The Lincoln Project is an American political action committee formed in late 2019 by several prominent Republicans and former Republicans.

The goal of the committee is to prevent the reelection of Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election. In April 2020, the committee announced their endorsement of Joe Biden, a Democrat, after Biden became the presumptive nominee

Think about that, Republicans endorsing Biden. Here's an example of just a couple of the many videos they're frequently posting.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
17 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm encouraged that it all looks set to fall apart for him, even Republican groups are turning on him. Presumably reasoning that this is a walking disaster area endangering not only the future credibility of their party but the country itself.

One of these groups is called the 'Lincoln Project' and they're getting under his admittedly thin skin big time.

Think about that, Republicans endorsing Biden. Here's an example of just a couple of the many videos they're frequently posting.

Brilliant. I'm sure, in 10 or 20 years, the Republicans will revere Trump in much the same way as Nixon and Ford.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Years ago I was in the Pebble Beach Pro shop and an American woman asked if I was from Dundee. :lol:

Never been so offended in all my life.

Nothing to do with the ten kids that followed you into the shop then.😉

On 29/06/2020 at 16:31, CJGJ said:

a person talking on a cell phone

Black lives matter but not much given this photo....oh and they are personal injury lawyers outside their home in Missouri whilst the rally passes by

This is what he has inflamed in the good old US of A.

To be fair, they lived in one of those private gated communities they have in the States. And the protesters basically forced their way past and wrecked the gates. I can imagine why they might have been a little bit nervous. 

We should probably give them a lot of credit to be honest. Standing on your porch waving guns at what is essentially a massive squad of folk breaking in to your property is pretty mild for over there. Surprised they didn't just gun them all down. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

One upon hearing my accent said to me are you from like Norway or sumthin? I says no i'm from Scotland. He then says your English is really good, I heard it's really hard to learn English.

Now i'm tempted to retort with well it might be I don't know, but it's easy when you grow up in an English speaking nation but I bite my tongue and just try to get away from him. He then follows on with do you know where all the languages came from?

True story. Mine not his.

Well we can be sure that that bible basher will give his vote to The Donald anyway. It could have come straight from the mouth or twitter account of Trump himself. 

10 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

To be fair, they lived in one of those private gated communities they have in the States. And the protesters basically forced their way past and wrecked the gates. I can imagine why they might have been a little bit nervous. 

We should probably give them a lot of credit to be honest. Standing on your porch waving guns at what is essentially a massive squad of folk breaking in to your property is pretty mild for over there. Surprised they didn't just gun them all down. 

There is a "stand your ground" law in the US that allows a person to use lethal force to defend yourself if you feel personally threatened. Even if the threat is only perceived, and even if you have the option to back away.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
21 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Nothing to do with the ten kids that followed you into the shop then.😉

:lol: I didn't even mention having a scotch peh, or a cuppa teh.

11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

There is a "stand your ground" law in the US that allows a person to use lethal force to defend yourself if you feel personally threatened. Even if the threat is only perceived, and even if you have the option to back away.

It's on a state-by-state basis.

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law

46 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

That's what they've been saying. Not surprisingly, they're completely full of shit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCCUW-Lns5E/?igshid=98vzj31salkk&fbclid=IwAR37oz49iWIYOOiGbKzG8S51MouTowfgzJwxaZaA79JR3G9rNFa5xeYSGGc

(video is of people strolling through the gate perfectly calmly while peacefully marching and chanting, keeping to the street and pavement, not moving towards anyone's private property)

50 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Surprised they didn't just gun them all down.

This is unfortunately true in the land where property is more important than human lives.

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

:laugh: fair play. 

55 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

In theory, they could be strung up on multiple counts of aggravated assault, a felony, in accordance with Missouri law. Pointing a deadly weapon at another person falls under that law's purview ("threatening exhibition").

But as a Black law school colleague said when a few of us were discussing this, "y'all doing a lot of research for an imaginary crime when committed by white people".

These two will not be charged with anything.

Edited by Justin Z

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

That's what they've been saying. Not surprisingly, they're completely full of shit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCCUW-Lns5E/?igshid=98vzj31salkk&fbclid=IwAR37oz49iWIYOOiGbKzG8S51MouTowfgzJwxaZaA79JR3G9rNFa5xeYSGGc

(video is of people strolling through the gate perfectly calmly while peacefully marching and chanting, keeping to the street and pavement, not moving towards anyone's private property)

This is unfortunately true in the land where property is more important than human lives.

But doesn't the fact it's a gated community mean they're automatically on private property? I don't know for sure but from what I cam gather about gated communities that would seem accurate. 

I mean, clearly Calamity Karen and her beau are "embellishing" the truth, to put it politely (or bullshitters scared of "dem uppity nee-grows" to be more accurate), and I'm all for protests but doing it on someone's personal, private property is a bit much. It's like a whole bunch of folk walking in to a bunch of flats over here and having a protest in the stairs. 

Is the wrecked gate from another incident? Or when they left? Or somewhere else entirely? It's fecking impossible to know what's what nowadays. 

Edited by Normthebarman

The fact that that woman has her finger on the trigger itself shows a complete disregard for gun training and 'safety' (no, seriously - stop laughing, there is such a thing).

The three basic laws of owning/operating a gun are (in descending order):

1) Always assume a gun is loaded until proven otherwise

2) Never point a gun at something you don't want to shoot

3) Never put your finger on the trigger until immediately before you are planning to shoot, that's what the trigger guard is for - to rest your finger without the risk of accidentally shooting. 

I have a goodly amount of friends here who go shooting as a hobby, and a day at the range is a great way to blow off steam. But the ones I've spoken to about this are absolutely fuming at the irresponsibility of it. One of them in particular, who happens to be an ex-Force Recon scout-sniper so knows his way around weaponry,  was of the opinion that this is a perfect example of behaviour that should lead to your gun privileges being revoked, similar to if you were mad or had been convicted of a felony. 

“But it is not your own Shire,’ said Gildor. 
‘Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. 
The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out.”
- JRR Tolkein, The Fellowship of The Ring

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

That's better than getting the old 'What part of England is that in, the East'?

Word of advice, never try and explain to them about Scotland being part of Great Britain and the United Kingdom, it fries their brains that one. 🤣

Jambo-Jimbo
12 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

She sound like a typical 10 year old.

Naw a 10 year old is way smarter, here's the proof, enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Naw a 10 year old is way smarter, here's the proof, enjoy.

Dumb.......Blonde........yum yum.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's better than getting the old 'What part of England is that in, the East'?

Word of advice, never try and explain to them about Scotland being part of Great Britain and the United Kingdom, it fries their brains that one. 🤣

I know, you still get the Queen of England stuff and the US helped England win the war. 

You say you are from and Scotland and there is a fair chance questions about kilts, bagpipes and the Loch Ness Monster with follow. That is not just the Americans who think that it is common throughout the world.

11 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Should've told them Ireland is a place in Shetland...

image.png.ac4b2285213555a99b9c6e5f157f7b0a.png

8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

There was a case from years ago and i'm talking more than 20 years minimum maybe even 30 involving a Scot on holiday in Florida. He's been out on his own drinking in the bars and is thoroughly drunk and lost.

He wanders into some neighbourhood and begins banging on a door hoping for someone to answer it. Judging from the report of someone else who lived in the neighbourhood he wanted a taxi.

That's all the person could understand of the raving which is understandable. Drunken Scottish accent in Florida. I swear I have heard some say they couldn't understand the accent in the  film' The Kings Speech' so drunken Scots is going to be unintelligible.

Anyway the occupant of the door he is banging on no doubt sees the chance he has been waiting his entire hick life for. A justification for this gun. Shoots and kills the guy through the locked door and is never charged with anything.

jambostuart
7 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Dumb.......Blonde........yum yum.

Point and laugh at American stupidity but I would imagine our own lower classes probably couldn't point to most places on a map either. In fact did Jade Goody not get ridiculed something awful for this before her cancer made her the nation's new princess? 

People in glass houses and all that.

The majority of Americans I know are liberal, well educated and no different to the UK. 

It's the vocal minority (a bit ironic given their views on the current minorities finding a voice) that are the issue and their arsehole of a president is what has made a fringe view look mainstream.

5 hours ago, jambostuart said:

Point and laugh at American stupidity but I would imagine our own lower classes probably couldn't point to most places on a map either. In fact did Jade Goody not get ridiculed something awful for this before her cancer made her the nation's new princess? 

The majority of Americans I know are liberal, well educated and no different to the UK. 

It's the vocal minority (a bit ironic given their views on the current minorities finding a voice) that are the issue and their arsehole of a president is what has made a fringe view look mainstream.

Depends where you go I suppose. I'm in Oklahoma and the majority I acquaint with are well educated and liberal but they're not the majority.

And many people who do have a decent education are nothing like the average person in the UK. Millions will vote for the likes of a Trump simply because he says something like guns are good. We need lots of guns. Nothing else matters. And we're not talking lower classes.

Half the population think angels are real, the Earth and in fact the entire universe are maybe 10,000 years old at most, all life appeared on the Earth pretty much as it is now in a single day by magic spell, and Jesus will be coming back in their lifetime.

That's not like the UK. It's a detachment from demonstrable reality. A detachment so great that nothing Trump could say would be any more crazy. And as for Jade goody her ignorance was so comical because it was an outlier, not a norm.

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, jambostuart said:

I had to Google to find out who Jane Goody was.

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 hours ago, Boof said:

Should've told them Ireland is a place in Shetland...

image.png.ac4b2285213555a99b9c6e5f157f7b0a.png

If I am ever back in Colorado and meet her again, I will tell her she should come over to Ireland, just remember to include South Mainland, Shetland in the sat nav 😄

This is not directly tied to Trump. The incident in question happened under Obama. But Trump, his administration, and his cronies support more of the same.

A SWAT team blew up a family home while pursuing a shoplifting suspect who had barricaded himself inside. A SHOPLIFTING SUSPECT.

Lower courts held that the innocent family—who didn't know the shoplifter at all—was not owed anything by the city or the department. The city paid them a derisory $5,000.

The Supreme Court has declined to take up the case. The family are out several hundred thousand dollars.

Policing in America: no responsibility, no accountability—a state-sanctioned criminal gang.

A SWAT Team Blew Up This Family's House While Chasing a Shoplifter. The Supreme Court Won't Hear the Case.

34 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

This is not directly tied to Trump. The incident in question happened under Obama. But Trump, his administration, and his cronies support more of the same.

A SWAT team blew up a family home while pursuing a shoplifting suspect who had barricaded himself inside. A SHOPLIFTING SUSPECT.

Lower courts held that the innocent family—who didn't know the shoplifter at all—was not owed anything by the city or the department. The city paid them a derisory $5,000.

The Supreme Court has declined to take up the case. The family are out several hundred thousand dollars.

Policing in America: no responsibility, no accountability—a state-sanctioned criminal gang.

A SWAT Team Blew Up This Family's House While Chasing a Shoplifter. The Supreme Court Won't Hear the Case.

Is there a large trurnover in police forces, men quitting because of what can only be regarded as indiscipline, and lack of proper procedures and policies. In my experience of deaing with U.S.Police officers in the senior or deemed to be candidates for senior policing they were a wee bit different to me in regard to their actions. Most like me had military background Vietnam vets primarily, but although they had an almost laisez faire attude still knew what was right and wrong. It seems to me such as Minneapolis with eighteen disciplinary allegations against one man  there is a severe lack of something. If I was a young man just starting I think I would be considering a change of department or even career.

Maybe somebody is getting through the stupid fog that envelops Trumps brain, perhaps telling him look Donnie please  just shut the **** up. Don't say anything at all.

I don't think he has said anything retarded in at least a couple of days. If he can reach a week it must be a record. But I don't see that happening, they can't monitor him night and day. He will be chomping at the bit to tweet something idiotic in the middle of the night.

I dunno mate, threatening to veto a military spending bill and literally defund the salaries of the American soldiery if a provision to rename American forts named after Confederate figures goes into it, is pretty damn stupid.

57 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I dunno mate, threatening to veto a military spending bill and literally defund the salaries of the American soldiery if a provision to rename American forts named after Confederate figures goes into it, is pretty damn stupid.

I missed that. So Donnie maintains his record of near daily stupid. He's an Olympian in that respect. He's like the village idiot in a village full of idiots.

24 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I missed that. So Donnie maintains his record of near daily stupid. He's an Olympian in that respect. He's like the village idiot in a village full of idiots.

Yet one of his talking heads said he was the best informed person on planet earth yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Yet one of his talking heads said he was the best informed person on planet earth yesterday. 

So he knew Russia was paying the Taliban to whack allied soldiers and still croons over Putin?

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

So he knew Russia was paying the Taliban to whack allied soldiers and still croons over Putin?

Boom!

They walked into that one. :facepalm:

Governor Tarkin
21 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I had to Google to find out who Jane Goody was.

The way pre-illness Jade Goody was treated by the UK media and public was utterly shameful.

The cruelest playground stuff.

9 hours ago, Justin Z said:

It is incredibly stupid. The Chinese and Russians will be pishing themselves at the prospect.

Although I have mixed feelings myself about renaming forts, etc, as I don't believe in whitewashing history no matter how uncomfortable (I'm sure we could find plenty objectionable about Scottish castles, etc), I realise that by dint of birth I will never be able to fully appreciate many of these cases from the perspective of those with direct emotional involvement.

8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

He's in Putin's pocket.

I see Donnie is now "all for masks" and would "wear one in a tight situation". I wonder what has changed the geniuses mind?

Jambo-Jimbo
35 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I see Donnie is now "all for masks" and would "wear one in a tight situation". I wonder what has changed the geniuses mind?

Trump says that he's worn a mask & that he looked like the 'Lone Ranger' in it.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-lone-ranger-lookalike-donald-trump-says-face-masks-are-good-12019341

Now excuse my ignorance, but didn't the lone ranger wear a mask over his eyes.  :rofl:

Either he's worn it wrong or he's maybe thinking about another time he wore a mask, perhaps in a...home movie...type of setting....wink, wink.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

He again predicted the infection would "disappear," as the US hit a new record high of 52,000 virus cases in a day. US infectious disease chief Dr Anthony Fauci told lawmakers new American cases could reach 100,000 per day.

That's plan A, an old fashioned miracle, it will just disappear.

Baffles me why we're even bothering to spend billions researching a vaccine. Trump and David Blaine have it sorted.

6 hours ago, milky_26 said:

He's just been on the BBC news live.......   I know, he will call it fake news...

Saying 18 percent on stock exchange and 4.5 million Americans back into work......

Some of them may go back to supporting him.........     Oh Gawd......

9 hours ago, milky_26 said:

I saw him saying last night he looks good in one.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)