U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I saw something over the weekend suggesting that if Trump continues to trail in the opinion polls, his vanity may result in him withdrawing from the race. Retire on grounds of injury/ill-health rather than losing bigly. A bit like Novak Djokovic retiring hurt from so many matches in the past when it appeared that he was going to get pumpded oot anyway.

Who knows? Trump's problematic bone spurs could be on the verge of flaring up again? It might be the reason that he had to walk funny on that ramp.

I would never question the vanity of Trump having no limits, and it's not impossible he may find a way to wriggle out of this then later claim he would have won. But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Let me go back to my analogy of Trump being like Hitler and his cronies in the bunker with the Soviets closing in. In that bunker they had become entirely detached from reality. They were in total denial that not only was this the end but this end result had been the obvious and inevitable outcome for months.

The Soviets are actually in the city and have encircled it while Hitler is still moving now imaginary armies around on a map. The reality wasn't allowed to seep through until the famous incident so parodied on YouTube. "Army detachment Steiner"

Steiner had a couple of ragtag units Hitler had imagined into an army. Which he now ordered to attack a Soviet force numbering hundreds of thousands of men who were armed to the teeth with tanks, artillery, anti tank weapons, the entire paraphernalia of war. While Steiner and has ragtag bunch didn't even have combat weapons.

Steiner contacts the bunker and tells whoever he speaks to that it's impossible. Like asking him to send men to break through a reinforced concrete wall with nothing but nail files.

He's not going to do it because unlike Hitler Steiner is still based in reality, he knows it's over and he's not going to send these men out to certain death for absolutely nothing but at best to buy a few more hours and probably not even that.

Only then did Hitler lift the veil of denial he had been hiding behind and concede it was over. Pretty much at the very last possible moment. I see Trump in his narcissistic madness going the same way. 

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Amid the flurry of failures, let's not forget another of Trump's broken promises: "I'm going to be too busy to play golf."

https://trumpgolfcount.com/

His golf trips have cost the American taxpayer about $136 million.

bUt hE DoNaTeS hiS SaLaRy

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Amid the flurry of failures, let's not forget another of Trump's broken promises: "I'm going to be too busy to play golf."

https://trumpgolfcount.com/

His golf trips have cost the American taxpayer about $136 million.

He usually is too busy to play golf. You realise how much time is required to watch Fox news? That's a  busy schedule in between tweeting.

Trump will not retire, resign or leave the office voluntarily. He has too many charges to face without the protection of the Presidency. He will go in one of two ways, by assassination by some or one of those with whom he has carried out his questionable financial deals or on of his political dictators with whom he has adjoined himself. The other alternative is to use an illness such as Dementia or other cerebral damaging disease which would make him due to these problems unfit and incapable to stand Trial.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Iran issues arrest warrant for Donald J Trump over the assassination of General Sulemani.

That's probably an empty gesture, of course, as long as Trump is POTUS, but it is still interesting.

At any time in the future, if Trump goes to a foreign country, Iran could press that country to have Trump arrested and extradited. Canada is currently holding a Chinese national on behalf of the USA, and extradition hearings are underway, so such actions can happen.

Something for Donald to ponder in his dotage. :peepwall:

a person talking on a cell phone

Black lives matter but not much given this photo....oh and they are personal injury lawyers outside their home in Missouri whilst the rally passes by

This is what he has inflamed in the good old US of A.

Edited by CJGJ

Just look at that couple.  White, Southern, middle-aged, seemingly wealthy, multiple firearms in the house, anti-Black.

What are the chances of them being Trump supporters?  Hmm, tough one, let me think ... :whistling:

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Cade said:

Iran has asked Interpol to issue a red arrest warrant for Trump and dozens of other USA officials

:rofl:

:pleasing:

10 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Just look at that couple.  White, Southern, middle-aged, seemingly wealthy, multiple firearms in the house, anti-Black.

What are the chances of them being Trump supporters?  Hmm, tough one, let me think ... :whistling:

if you see the video footage their house is pretty much a mansion. Also neither of them seem very used to handling firearms, this is how accidents happen. 

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Iran has asked Interpol to issue a red arrest warrant for Trump and dozens of other USA officials

No more golf trips to Scotland then! :runaway:

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

if you see the video footage their house is pretty much a mansion. Also neither of them seem very used to handling firearms, this is how accidents happen. 

In 2016 alone accidental gun deaths amounted to 495 in the US. That's about 4 accidental deaths every three days.

Yet people in the US still buy guns "for protection".

Ibrahim Tall
36 minutes ago, Cade said:

Worth pointing out that Interpol quite quickly and politely told them to piss off tbh. Just a silly Iranian political stunt.

22 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

In 2016 alone accidental gun deaths amounted to 495 in the US. That's about 4 accidental deaths every three days.

Yet people in the US still buy guns "for protection".

I'm always baffled by that. Protection from what exactly? It's definitely not protection from the reality of statistics. Because the statistics indicate that people in the US who keep guns in the home are statistically far more likely to be killed by a gun than those who do not have guns in the home.

So, if you want protection, get rid of guns.

Toddlers even are shooting people and being shot by other toddlers at a staggering rate that all on it's own eclipses the entire UK death by guns rate. An average 40 people a year die by gunshot in the UK. Anybody think that figure would decrease if the nation were littered with guns US style? For 'protection'?

An article from 2013.

Guns don’t kill people, children do.  Cassie Culpepper, age 11, was riding in the back of a pickup when her 12-year-old brother pointed his father’s pistol at her.  He believed he had removed the bullets, and so jokingly pulled the trigger. He was wrong.

Since January 1st, 2013 there have been 11 reported gun fatalities involving preschool children as the shooter. Ten more toddlers have accidentally shot themselves or somebody else this year.  And this statistic represents only data for which a toddler is the shooter in a death (MotherJones reports that 71 children have been killed by guns since Newtown).

The BBC originally reported on this phenomenon in 2009 when, in the span of 24 hours, two children were shot by their toddler siblings. 

Debunking the “Guns Don’t Kill People, People Kill People” Myth

Edited by JFK-1

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Worth pointing out that Interpol quite quickly and politely told them to piss off tbh. Just a silly Iranian political stunt.

How ironic.

15 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm always baffled by that. Protection from what exactly? It's definitely not protection from the reality of statistics. Because the statistics indicate that people in the US who keep guns in the home are statistically far more likely to be killed by a gun than those who do not have guns in the home.

Toddlers even are shooting people and being shot by other toddlers at a staggering rate that all on it's own eclipses the entire UK death by guns rate. An average 40 people a year die by gunshot in the UK. Anybody think that figure would decrease if the nation were littered with guns US style? For 'protection'?

An article from 2013.

My favourite is the "gun safety advocate" who got shot by her toddler because she left a pistol in the back of her car. :rofl: 

Pro-gun Jamie Gilt is shot by her four-year-old son in Putnam ...

More like your right to get shot by your child with your gun trumps any credibility you ever had EGDmCdR.gif

Pro-gun activist accidentally shot by four-year-old son to face ...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

a person talking on a cell phone

Black lives matter but not much given this photo....oh and they are personal injury lawyers outside their home in Missouri whilst the rally passes by

This is what he has inflamed in the good old US of A.

He looks like Mark Francois.

28 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

An article from 2013.

And those are just accidental shootings by children.  The number of deaths when one family member shoots another in a domestic dispute ... "it's your turn to put out the trash" ... is staggering. None of that is Trump's fault, of course, but all the Second Amendment fanatics are Trump fans, so he'll never consider any kind of gun control.

16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

And those are just accidental shootings by children.  The number of deaths when one family member shoots another in a domestic dispute ... "it's your turn to put out the trash" ... is staggering. None of that is Trump's fault, of course, but all the Second Amendment fanatics are Trump fans, so he'll never consider any kind of gun control.

Classic comedic but rational take on the insanity of it by Australian comedian Jim Jefferies.

Mac_fae_Gillie
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

He looks like Mark Francois.

Maybe just the camera angle but is she really pointing the gun at her husbands head and has her finger on the trigger, these really upping the situation and lucky they are not on a charge or dead. People walking past your property been threatened by guns is batshit crazy.

Something else that will torment Trump, illustrating his incompetence.

The EU has named 14 countries whose citizens are deemed "safe" to be let in from 1 July, despite the pandemic - but the US, Brazil and China are excluded.

The EU is ready to add China if the Chinese government offers a reciprocal deal for EU travellers, diplomats say.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53222356

US is a banned plague ridden country.

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

My favourite is the "gun safety advocate" who got shot by her toddler because she left a pistol in the back of her car. :rofl: 

Pro-gun Jamie Gilt is shot by her four-year-old son in Putnam ...

More like your right to get shot by your child with your gun trumps any credibility you ever had EGDmCdR.gif

Pro-gun activist accidentally shot by four-year-old son to face ...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Some toddlers are a better shot. A 2 year old killed his mother in a Walmart after taking the gun every good mother needs to go grocery shopping from a purse and shot her in the head.

At least he didn't kill himself I suppose. Or anyone else for that matter. If anyone had to die she was the one who deserved it most.

The inside story of how an Idaho toddler shot his mom at Wal-Mart

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Some toddlers are a better shot. A 2 year old killed his mother in a Walmart after taking the gun every good mother needs to go grocery shopping from a purse and shot her in the head.

At least he didn't kill himself I suppose. Or anyone else for that matter. If anyone had to die she was the one who deserved it most.

The inside story of how an Idaho toddler shot his mom at Wal-Mart

I’m surprised a 2 year old would have the strength to pull the trigger.

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I think some hand guns in the states are marketed directly at woman, lighter built, smaller calibres, pink handles and probably a lighter trigger pull, although, american gun manufacturers are paranoid and bein sued so often, as is with amrican guns sold in the uk, have ridiculously heavey trigger pulls.

Edited by Dawnrazor

6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I'm surprised the NRA didn't respond with the only thing that can stop a bad toddler with a gun is a good toddler with a gun. And what good mother wouldn't go grocery shopping packing a gun. Just in case you might meet armed resistance from a toddler when you're buying your veggies.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I think some hand guns in the states are marketed directly at woman, lighter built, smaller calibres, pink handles and probably a lighter trigger pull, although, american gun manufacturers are paranoid and bein sued so often, as is with amrican guns sold in the uk, have ridiculously heavey trigger pulls.

Thanks for that.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm surprised the NRA didn't respond with the only thing that can stop a bad toddler with a gun is a good toddler with a gun. And what good mother wouldn't go grocery shopping packing a gun. Just in case you might meet armed resistance from a toddler when you're buying your veggies.

Crazy.

14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Crazy.

Insane beyond understanding. There is on average almost 2 gun murders every single hour  of every single day in the US. It would take the UK around 365 years to match their annual gun murder total.

That number doesn't include those shot dead by US police every year. US police kill over a thousand people a year. That all on it's own is more than the entire total of all UK murders in a year. Which averages around 650 or so.

The US has an average annual murder rate of 5 per 100,000 population. The UK averages 1 per 100,000 population which is peculiar isn't it? Since the UK people are defenceless?

What do you think the outcome in Glasgow a few days ago would have been if the culprit had a gun rather than a knife? Doesn't bear thinking about. Could have been a massacre.

Edited by JFK-1

crunchy frog
6 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Trump will not retire, resign or leave the office voluntarily. He has too many charges to face without the protection of the Presidency. He will go in one of two ways, by assassination by some or one of those with whom he has carried out his questionable financial deals or on of his political dictators with whom he has adjoined himself. The other alternative is to use an illness such as Dementia or other cerebral damaging disease which would make him due to these problems unfit and incapable to stand Trial.

You've absolutely nailed it, mate. 

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Insane beyond understanding. There is on average almost 2 gun murders every single hour  of every single day in the US. It would take the UK around 365 years to match their annual gun murder total.

That number doesn't include those shot dead by US police every year. US police kill over a thousand people a year. That all on it's own is more than the entire total of all UK murders in a year. Which averages around 650 or so.

The US has an average annual murder rate of 5 per 100,000 population. The UK averages 1 per 100,000 population which is peculiar isn't it? Since the UK people are defenceless?

What do you think the outcome in Glasgow a few days ago would have been if the culprit had a gun rather than a knife? Doesn't bear thinking about. Could have been a massacre.

The stats are quite staggering.

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, Cade said:

article-2101573-005803F700000258-981_468

I can this being the only way they'll get that prick out of the White House.

:laugh:

18 minutes ago, Cade said:

article-2101573-005803F700000258-981_468

I can this being the only way they'll get that prick out of the White House.

there is one other way, i wont post an image of what that would be as it would be crass and inappropriate

7 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Trump will not retire, resign or leave the office voluntarily. He has too many charges to face without the protection of the Presidency.

There is a scenario in which I could envisage him stepping down. Let's say it becomes obvious even to him that he cannot win the election, that Biden will win because he, Trump, is un-electable .

But, what if Trump steps down, claiming illness, insanity, whatever. And the candidacy goes to Pence. Then Pence if he wins can pardon Trump.

39 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

There is a scenario in which I could envisage him stepping down. Let's say it becomes obvious even to him that he cannot win the election, that Biden will win because he, Trump, is un-electable .

But, what if Trump steps down, claiming illness, insanity, whatever. And the candidacy goes to Pence. Then Pence if he wins can pardon Trump.

I am sure our good friend the lawyer will help as he usually does with an easy to understand explanation. I though Pardons were for Federal offences, but New York after him for their State tax breaches, and other personal financial dealing in New York

16 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I am sure our good friend the lawyer will help as he usually does with an easy to understand explanation. I though Pardons were for Federal offences, but New York after him for their State tax breaches, and other personal financial dealing in New York

How about this for an even more bizarre scenario though with Trump absolutely nothing surprises anymore. Trump realises there is no way out, they're going to get him on something and he's going to be humiliated in court and going to jail.

He gets out of the country and defects to Russia where his good mate Putin gives him sanctuary. 

7 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

How about this for an even more bizarre scenario though with Trump absolutely nothing surprises anymore. Trump realises there is no way out, they're going to get him on something and he's going to be humiliated in court and going to jail.

He gets out of the country and defects to Russia where his good mate Putin gives him sanctuary. 

But what about Jnr, Eric, Ivanka and Jared?

Do they go too, end up in the pokey or end up President one day and pardon him, posthumously?

Mac_fae_Gillie
2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Hand  gun triggers are not that heavy, mainly double action where the 1st shot fired is 15lb-18lb of pressure and acts as a safety all the following shots are only 2lb.

15 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

But what about Jnr, Eric, Ivanka and Jared?

Do they go too, end up in the pokey or end up President one day and pardon him, posthumously?

I have no idea how involved in any of his crimes others in his family are though apparently Jared was involved in the collusion with Russia affair. But at the end of the day I doubt Trump gives the proverbial flying about anybody but himself.

This is a guy who tried to screw his own father. The father who spoiled him rotten and without whom he would have absolutely nothing.

Fred Trump had given careful thought to what would become of his empire after he died, and had hired one of the nation’s top estate lawyers to draft his will.

But in December 1990, Donald Trump sent his father a document, drafted by one of his own lawyers, that sought to make significant changes to that will.

Fred Trump, then 85, had never before set eyes on the document, 12 pages of dense legalese. Nor had he authorized its preparation. Nor had he met the lawyer who drafted it.

Yet his son sent instructions that he needed to sign it immediately.

What happened next was described years later in sworn depositions by members of the Trump family during a dispute, later settled, over the inheritance Fred Trump left to Fred Jr.’s children.

These depositions, obtained by The Times, reveal something startling: Fred Trump believed that the document potentially put his life’s work at risk.

The document, known as a codicil,  did many things. It protected Donald Trump’s portion of the inheritance from his creditors and from his impending divorce settlement with his first wife, Ivana Trump.

It strengthened provisions in the existing will making him the sole executor of his father’s estate.

But more than any of the particulars, it was the entirety of the codicil and its presentation as a fait accompli that alarmed Fred Trump, the depositions show. He confided to family members that he viewed the codicil as an attempt to go behind his back and give his son total control over his affairs.

He said he feared that it could let Donald Trump denude his empire, even using it as collateral to rescue his failing businesses. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-tax-schemes-fred-trump.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I have a large extended family in Michigan.  Almost all are Republicans.  We have an unstated agreement to never talk about politics, religion, or gun control.  Canadians and Americans are oceans apart on those issues.

Today was a niece's birthday and I called her with my best wishes. She said that she was going out for dinner.

I asked her if she would wear a mask.  "Hell no."

I asked her about social distancing. "That's up to the restaurant."

I said I was concerned about the spike in COVID cases in Michigan. "I know, it's all because of those Black Lives Matter protests." She gets her news from Fox TV.

I wished her a happy birthday and changed the subject.

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Spot on, Bob. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I have a large extended family in Michigan.  Almost all are Republicans.  We have an unstated agreement to never talk about politics, religion, or gun control.  Canadians and Americans are oceans apart on those issues.

Today was a niece's birthday and I called her with my best wishes. She said that she was going out for dinner.

I said I was concerned about the spike in COVID cases in Michigan. "I know, it's all because of those Black Lives Matter protests." She gets her news from Fox TV.

I'm Scottish but have been living in Oklahoma for the past 8 years and  I can vouch that the US contains far and away the most ignorant population on the planet.

It often baffles me that anyone can grow up on the same planet and be so ignorant. You would have to really work at it to know so little.

I mentioned Napoleon to one of them and I can't remember what I was referencing, presumably something to do with France or maybe history in general.

He gives me a puzzled look and says Napoleon Dynamite? I laughed because my first thought was that it was a corny attempt at a joke. He continues looking puzzled and I can see it isn't.

I says Battle of Waterlloo? Napoleon Bonaparte? He's baffled, never heard of either. Which baffled me. How can that even be possible on planet Earth?

Then maybe some don't even know which planet they're on. And if they do they definitely have no idea where they are on it.

Edited by JFK-1

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

She sound like a typical 10 year old.

All roads lead to Gorgie
7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm Scottish but have been living in Oklahoma for the past 8 years and  I can vouch that the US contains far and away the most ignorant population on the planet.

It often baffles me that anyone can grow up on the same planet and be so ignorant. You would have to really work at it to know so little.

I mentioned Napoleon to one of them and I can't remember what I was referencing, presumably something to do with France or maybe history in general.

He gives me a puzzled look and says Napoleon Dynamite? I laughed because my first thought was that it was a corny attempt at a joke. He continues looking puzzled and I can see it isn't.

I says Battle of Waterlloo? Napoleon Bonaparte? He's baffled, never heard of either. Which baffled me. How can that even be possible on planet Earth?

Then maybe some don't even know which planet they're on. And if they do they definitely have no idea where they are on it.

I remember speaking to a staff member in a diner over there and she asked where we were from. I said Scotland and she replied "what part of Ireland is that as I know your accent is Irish. I forgive the confusion with accents but thinking Scotland was a place in Ireland:mw_rolleyes:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

A quite long but not entirely surprising piece on Trump’s idea of how diplomatic Calls between world leaders work. You’ll be shocked to hear
he doesn’t  have a clue and acts like a stupid bully. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics/trump-phone-calls-national-security-concerns/index.html

Trump has a cheek to call anyone stupid, especially Merkel.

I suppose he knows, the only people more stupid than him are his supporters. Without any exceptions.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)