U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

55 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

With his recent out of control comments on China a civil war might be seen as easier than the increasing possibility of armed conflict with China, and then their ally North Korea. I am reaching a point of almost insanity with my inability to ses what the Pences, Lindsey Graham, et al see in this man that they follow so blindly.  Pence highly religious does he not as they used to say in my Edinburgh want to boak when they hear him talk about The Lord and prayer. One Republican Senator in the Impeachment voted for conviction its a mystery.

The world shouldn’t ignore what China are doing though. 

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

alwaysthereinspirit
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Lovely Trump supporter here. 

You cant fix stupid. Anywhere in the world.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

You cant fix stupid. Anywhere in the world.

Sadly that’s true and Trump seems to have most of them.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

The world shouldn’t ignore what China are doing though. 

The world aren't ignoring what China are doing. 👍

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

His latest tweet is just the word CHINA in nice big capital letters. Who even ****ing knows anymore? 

Funny China Donald Trump Meme " Art Board Print by prodesigner2 ...

SpruceBringsteen
5 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

She should hope that they don't then turn their "attention" to moronic, loud mouthed fatties

As if I don't have enough to contend with over here :sad:

chuck berrys hairline

CNN Centre attacked in Atlanta, Georgia he will no doubt get the blame. 

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

CNN Centre attacked in Atlanta, Georgia he will no doubt get the blame. 

Do you think he's blameless?

alwaysthereinspirit
41 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Do you think he's blameless?

😂 Don’t you get bored?

vegas-voss

So have protestors been trying to break through to the White House i cant work out whats real or fake on twitter right now 😂

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, Barack said:

They broke through about 90ft of barricade. There's a WH reporter called Hunter Walker from Yahoo, that's livestreaming from the protests. 

A bit pushy & shovey from what I watched. If you tweet what Trump did, what do they expect?!

Don't think the protesters would be that stupid to get onto the WH property, as they would be dead. End of. They'll have some more robust conversations and stuff  but they should be dispersing soon. Getting late there...and starting to rain...

Thanks couldnt make make itboutbfrom twitter as some post where saying it was fake and it was at Ohio treasury building.

But aye the guy is no longer a bad joke he is highly dangerous and inciting violence ( thats just the past couple of days has had seriously dangerous messages for months now on many issues ).Can you imagine how it will be if he loses the election the hatred he will stoke amongst his moronic supporters.

Maple Leaf
11 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

😂 Don’t you get bored?

Not a chance.

My next door neighbour is an obese nutter with orange skin and an absurd blonde comb-over, who rants wildly every day about something or other, and those rants vary between laughably childish and darkly sinister, all the while claiming that he's the smartest person ever, on any subject. It's fascinating.

How could I possibly get bored?  :wink:  

The Internet

He's literally just abusing the mayor of minneapolis on twitter :lol: 'he will never be mistaken for the great fighter George patton' :lol: absolute king of the boomers. ****ing surreal time to be alive. 

SectionDJambo
25 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

He's literally just abusing the mayor of minneapolis on twitter :lol: 'he will never be mistaken for the great fighter George patton' :lol: absolute king of the boomers. ****ing surreal time to be alive. 

Yep

This from the man who dodged national service with bone spurs. A real fighter, is The Donald.

It is long past time to acknowledge the truth that has been staring us in the face all along . Donald Trump is clearly mentally disordered and poses a grave danger to us all. - Ian Hughes, Author and Senior Research Fellow at MaREI Centre, University College Cork

Trumpet has let the world down by withdrawing funding from WHO. 
In one of our greatest times of need as the world fights this pandemic this clown spits the dummy. 
Im really surprised no one has had a shot at him yet. He must be a prime target for assassination. Not that I’m suggesting it😉

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

In one of our greatest times of need as the world fights this pandemic this clown spits the dummy. 
Im really surprised no one has had a shot at him yet. He must be a prime target for assassination. Not that I’m suggesting it😉

This.

He’s a piece of shite.

11 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

he hasn't been shot as those most likely to do that to a president are his supporters

I don't want Trump to come to any harm, I want him to lose the election, refuse to leave, be pulled out by his long phoney hair and live to an age of a hundred and fifty or more to live every day with the condemnatory legacy he will have earned. Heres to you Dondo long and healthy life of misery.

3 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I don't want Trump to come to any harm, I want him to lose the election, refuse to leave, be pulled out by his long phoney hair and live to an age of a hundred and fifty or more to live every day with the condemnatory legacy he will have earned. Heres to you Dondo long and healthy life of misery.

Jail time for him, Jnr, Eric, Ivanka and Jared would do nicely.

Bull's-eye

To us non caring political experts then wee jummaw krankaw, Boreus and Twump are pretty much all the same. 

Irrelevent in the scheme of things but mildly amusing. 

image.png.ab70192e1b207692febc2ae4fb8c040f.png

Reposted by a Scot, a friend I made in my programme, just a few minutes ago. Appropriate timing.

Edited by Justin Z

18 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

He will win the next election I reckon so we better get used to it 

In actual fact the people only need to turn out to vote and he has absolutely no chance which is why he's already trying to suppress voters with his false postal votes claim.

He won in 2016 by a very slim margin indeed and the reason he won was because people thought he had no chance and didn't bother turning out to vote. This time with ample evidence of what a truly deranged psycho he is the chances are they will indeed bother turning out to vote.  

A shift of fewer than 80,000 votes in three states (Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin) — or 0.06% of 137 million cast — would have made Hillary Clinton president.

The WashPost's Philip Bump did the math about Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin back during the transition:

"Trump won those states by 0.2, 0.7 and 0.8 percentage points, respectively — and by 10,704, 46,765 and 22,177 votes. Those three wins gave him 46 electoral votes; if Clinton had done one point better in each state, she'd have won the electoral vote, too."

"But for 79,646 votes cast in those three states, Hillary Clinton would be the president of the United States."

https://www.axios.com/hillary-clinton-2016-election-votes-supreme-court-liberal-justice-1b4bc4fc-9fad-44b4-ab54-9ef86aa9c1f1.html

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

A shift of fewer than 80,000 votes in three states (Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin) — or 0.06% of 137 million cast — would have made Hillary Clinton president.

The WashPost's Philip Bump did the math about Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin back during the transition:

"Trump won those states by 0.2, 0.7 and 0.8 percentage points, respectively — and by 10,704, 46,765 and 22,177 votes. Those three wins gave him 46 electoral votes; if Clinton had done one point better in each state, she'd have won the electoral vote, too."

"But for 79,646 votes cast in those three states, Hillary Clinton would be the president of the United States."

https://www.axios.com/hillary-clinton-2016-election-votes-supreme-court-liberal-justice-1b4bc4fc-9fad-44b4-ab54-9ef86aa9c1f1.html

If everybody that voted Libertarian had voted Democrat instead, Clinton would also have won.

A two party system may be a terrible idea that only results in diverging polarisation, partisanship and civil strife, but there are times when throwing away a vote for a third party does more harm than good.

Shanks said no
14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Anonymous have flat out called him out for child rape/trafficking. They've implicated people like Naomi Campbell.

And they've got receipts.

Unless they have new info these allegations were hinted at in the guardian a while back

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/14/teen-models-powerful-men-when-donald-trump-hosted-look-of-the-year

Campbell co hosted in 1991

Maple Leaf
11 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think they do. I'm not a fan, and I'm sceptical. But one thing we do know, is they don't **** around if they say they'll do something.

It took half an hour between their announcement to the Minnesota PD, to them downing their servers for hours. 

Flight manifests to Epstein's island with a variety of well-knowns...including Chris Evans. And apparently a previously un-released court motion about Epstein & Trump. 

I honestly think after 5 years of silence, something's coming down the line here. Not just for Trump.

Don't forget Trump's claim that he could shoot someone in broad daylight and get away with it.  Nothing seems to stick to him.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think that's to do with the "rumours" that seem to have been doing the intelligence community rounds since the 90's, that he is/was a CI and helped put a lot of naughty Mafia types in the jail. The trade-off being of course...teflon.

if that is true we could be looking at a real life raymond reddington

Shanks said no

Allegedly took place in 1994, girl was 13 years old, same age as Ivanka at the time.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Think they do. I'm not a fan, and I'm sceptical. But one thing we do know, is they don't **** around if they say they'll do something.

It took half an hour between their announcement to the Minnesota PD, to them downing their servers for hours. 

Flight manifests to Epstein's island with a variety of well-knowns...including Chris Evans. And apparently a previously un-released court motion about Epstein & Trump. 

I honestly think after 5 years of silence, something's coming down the line here. Not just for Trump.

I'm beyond skeptical. I hope you're absolutely right, but I just don't see it at this point. 

3 hours ago, Cade said:

If everybody that voted Libertarian had voted Democrat instead, Clinton would also have won.

A two party system may be a terrible idea that only results in diverging polarisation, partisanship and civil strife, but there are times when throwing away a vote for a third party does more harm than good.

Which is another factor in my 'he has no chance' if people just come out and vote statement. These people who threw away a vote on a candidate who cannot win are surely convinced that this time there can be no such nonsense.

They have to remove this obvious maniac before he does something the country may never recover from. I truly feel he's crazy enough to go down like Hitler.

By January 1945 and in fact even earlier than that it was obvious to everyone that the allies had won the war. The rational course was to negotiate a surrender to prevent first their country being over-run by the Soviets and secondly prevent it being utterly destroyed.

There was no surrender till the Soviets were barely a mile from the bunker in Berlin because Hitler had decided long before that he was not going to survive the defeat. The final pointless destruction costing at least a million lives was nothing but giving him a final few months of life.

Trump also is crazy, if it looks like he's going down who knows what he's capable of. And currently Biden is holding a steady lead in the polls which is driving Trump into even crazier mode.

He cannot win if everyone comes out to vote, so for one thing he will strive to suppress as many voters as possible. I feel he may even attempt to cancel the election using the pandemic as an excuse.

Sort of the equivalent of Hitler refusing to surrender when all was clearly lost. Ordered the destruction of all German infrastructure and industry to take the German people down with him. An order Albert Speer sanely and luckily for the Germans refused to implement.

If there's a real chance of Trump being jailed which apparently there is he's capable of anything before he goes down. The current riots are nothing in comparison to the mayhem he could unleash as he denies he lost the coming election as we all know he will if it does indeed go against him. 

Can we stop pretending Trump is fit to be president?

At various times over the past three and a half years, many of us have asked what would happen if President Trump truly went over the edge or if his behavior became so frightening that his unfitness for the most powerful position on Earth could no longer be denied.

But the human capacity for denial is apparently almost infinite. Let’s review what our president has been up to in the past few days:

With the death toll from covid-19 about to top 100,000, Trump has offered almost nothing in the way of tributes to the dead, sympathy for their families, or acknowledgement of our national mourning.

By all accounts he is barely bothering to manage his administration’s response to the pandemic, preferring to focus on cheerleading for an economic recovery he says is on its way, even as he feeds conspiracy theories about the death toll being inflated. This weekend, he went golfing.

In a Twitter spasm on Saturday and Sunday, Trump retweeted mockery of former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams’s weight and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-Calif.) looks, along with a tweet calling Hillary Clinton a “skank.”

Eager to start a new culture war flare-up, he urged churches to open and gather parishioners in a room to breathe the same air, threatening that he would “override” governors whose shutdown orders still forbade such gatherings. The president has no such power.

He all but accused talk show host Joe Scarborough of murdering a young woman who died in 2001 in the then-congressman’s district office, bringing untold torture to her family from the conspiracy theorists who will respond to his accusation.

He has repeatedly insisted that the upcoming election is being “rigged” because states run by both Republicans and Democrats are making it easier to vote by mail, seeking to delegitimize a vote that has yet to occur, despite the substantial evidence that mail voting advantages neither party.

The truth is that Trump is not much more despicable of a human being than he has always been; it’s just that standard Trumpian behavior becomes more horrifying when it occurs during an ongoing national crisis. It is reality that changed around him, and he was incapable of responding to it.

We all know this. In public, Republicans may say that the real villain in the pandemic is China, or that all those deaths — and the tens of thousands yet to come — were inevitable, or that it is essential to get the economy moving. But they know as well as the rest of us do what a catastrophic failure Trump has been.

They must own the moral choice they now make. In 2016, they said Trump would grow serious and sober once he was faced with the awesome responsibilities of the office. There was little reason at the time to think it would happen, but it was at least possible.

No one can say that now. Not only do we know who Trump is, we know who he will always be. And we know that reelecting him will be disastrous in a hundred ways.

If you gave many Republicans in Washington truth serum, they’d say, “Of course he’s unfit to be president. Of course he’s corrupt, of course he’s incompetent, of course he’s the most dishonest person ever to step into the Oval Office. But I can live with that, because him being reelected means Republicans keep power, we get more conservative judges and we get all the policies we favor.”

That is the choice they’re making. We all know it, even if they’ll never say it out loud.

I’m not sure how I’d feel or what I’d do if was faced with a similar choice as a liberal, because it’s impossible to imagine a liberal version of Trump becoming the nominee of the Democratic Party — or even what a liberal version of Trump would look like. But we can see how Democrats grappled recently with their own questions about former vice president Joe Biden and the compromises they might have to make about him.

When a woman named Tara Reade alleged that Biden had sexually assaulted her in the early 1990s when she worked in his Senate office, the response among those who wish to see Trump defeated in November was complicated, to say the least. Some criticized Biden, some questioned Reade’s story and some remained agnostic pending further information.

And some, showing a forthrightness Republicans have not been willing to muster, said that even if they came to believe Reade’s story was true, they’d still vote for Biden, not just because Trump has been credibly accused of sexual misconduct by no fewer than two dozen women, but also because even if Biden turned out to be guilty, it would still be unfortunate but necessary to choose him over the most dangerously unfit president in American history.

In the days since, so many questions have been raised about Reade’s story that she has few defenders left; her own lawyer dropped her as a client. That has left Democrats breathing a sigh of relief, as they seem to have been excused from making a painful but necessary choice. Nevertheless, they grappled, candidly and publicly, with what it would mean for them if Reade were telling the truth.

The Republicans who support Trump have seldom done that, perhaps because there is no way to do so without acknowledging how morally indefensible that support has been. And as we approach another election, they’ll tell themselves that Trump isn’t as bad as he looks, or that Joe Biden is a monster, or that all that matters is winning.

In the future, when we look back on this dark period, we should resist the temptation to focus solely on Trump himself. To do so would be to excuse those who know exactly what he is but pretend they can work to keep him in office and remain unsullied. They cannot, and their moral culpability becomes clearer every day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/25/can-we-stop-pretending-trump-is-fit-be-president/

20 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Which is another factor in my 'he has no chance' if people just come out and vote statement. These people who threw away a vote on a candidate who cannot win are surely convinced that this time there can be no such nonsense.

I think this oversimplifies and discounts the view of many people, me included, that people like Joe Biden are exactly how we got to Trump.

As well, that there is no sense or justice in electing a senile, racist rapist to replace a senile, racist rapist.

Maple Leaf
3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I think this oversimplifies and discounts the view of many people, me included, that people like Joe Biden are exactly how we got to Trump.

As well, that there is no sense or justice in electing a senile, racist rapist to replace a senile, racist rapist.

Agreed, but isn't that what Americans will be asked to do in November? There is no other option.

7 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

You think Biden is every bit as bad an alternative as Trump? He would be ranting on Twitter daily spreading conspiracy theories? Calling dictators admirable? Labeling KKK and Nazis 'fine people'?

I could go on but surely that's enough just to illustrate the difference. And as it stands it's either or.

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Agreed, but isn't that what Americans will be asked to do in November? There is no other option.

We could expect rational governance from a Biden administration. Almost  anything would be preferable to this obvious lunatic.

6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You think Biden is every bit as bad an alternative as Trump?

No. That's not what I said at all.

The question remains whether "rational governance" is a good thing as that--whatever that is--is how we got to Trump. Obama is how we got to Trump. Clinton is how we got to Trump. The Bushes, Reagan.

We want to get back to normal? The normal where 45 million Americans don't have health insurance? Where we drone strike children in the Middle East, blowing them to bits? Where Black people are murdered by police while being filmed in broad daylight? Eric Garner and various others of these happened while BO was in office--there's no deflecting this onto Trump alone.

This sums it:

17 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes. And this, precisely, is why I am now unconvinced this is a government by the people and for the people.

That and things like this: 20 years of data reveals that Congress doesn't care what you think

Their study took data from nearly 2,000 public-opinion surveys and compared what the people wanted to what the government actually did. What they found was extremely unsettling: The opinions of the bottom 90% of income earners in America has essentially no impact at all.

. . .

If there's one thing that still reliably gets politicians' attention, it's money. While the opinions of the bottom 90% of income earners in America have a "statistically non-significant impact," Gilens and Page found that economic elites, business interests, and people who can afford lobbyists still carry major influence.

. . .

Why? Because purchasing political influence is 100% legal.

I remain unmoved at any assertion that we just need to get back to normal.

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

No. That's not what I said at all.

The question remains whether "rational governance" is a good thing as that--whatever that is--is how we got to Trump. Obama is how we got to Trump. Clinton is how we got to Trump. The Bushes, Reagan.

We want to get back to normal? The normal where 45 million Americans don't have health insurance? Where we drone strike children in the Middle East, blowing them to bits? Where Black people are murdered by police while being filmed in broad daylight? Eric Garner and various others of these happened while BO was in office--there's no deflecting this onto Trump alone.

I agree the US is a broken system. And I don't know if any of those problems would be resolved to any degree by  a Biden administration. But there are only two options and the one which excludes Trump is infinitely better than another 4 years of his ever increasing insanity.

Even if Hilary is a 'skank' as he recently statesman like twitted.

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I agree the US is a broken system. And I don't know if any of those problems would be resolved to any degree by  a Biden administration. But there are only two options and the one which excludes Trump is infinitely better than another 4 years of his ever increasing insanity.

Even if Hilary is a 'skank' as he recently statesman like twitted.

I definitely don't know with any certainty whether another four years of him making a mockery of this system and revealing behind the curtain what it actually is and does will be better, or worse, than a Biden administration.

But that's the thing. As horrible as he is, that's exactly what he does. The illusion that we are free, or great, or that our institutions promote justice and equality and equal opportunity, is melting away for more and more people every day.

Edited to add: I've also seen it asserted that with the likes of a corporatist "centrist" (in reality, anything but) like Obama or Biden in the White House, this harms the cause of actual progress in this country, because it pauses a great many people's outrage. I find this hard to quibble with too.

Edited by Justin Z

6 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I definitely don't know with any certainty whether another four years of him making a mockery of this system and revealing behind the curtain what it actually is and does will be better, or worse, than a Biden administration.

But that's the thing. As horrible as he is, that's exactly what he does. The illusion that we are free, or great, or that our institutions promote justice and equality and equal opportunity, is melting away for more and more people every day.

That's something we may simply have to agree to disagree on. In my view there is no way a Biden administration is as frightening a prospect as this unstable narcissistic ego-maniac. I would take anybody aside from him including another republican if that were the only option.

Absolutely anything is possible with this maniac pulling the strings. Even more so with the prospect of possible criminal charges hanging over him. He's a gargantuan disaster waiting to happen. That has to be obvious.

Edited by JFK-1

Watch the demonstrations on TV and tell me that great majority of the looters, property damagers, arsonists are capable of going to a ballot box and making a rational considered vote. I see them more as the type of individual who listens to the rhetoric they want to hear, and that they will be aimed at by one candidate whom I will not name

5 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Watch the demonstrations on TV and tell me that great majority of the looters, property damagers, arsonists are capable of going to a ballot box and making a rational considered vote. I see them more as the type of individual who listens to the rhetoric they want to hear, and that they will be aimed at by one candidate whom I will not name

My feeling is that Trump has initiated in the population what you might call a cold civil war. One of my greatest fears is that it could become much hotter when he denies he lost an election and refuses to leave office.

Things unimaginable from any previous president but things absolutely no one doubts he is capable of.

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Most of the people you refer to are likely uninterested in voting.  Only 55% of eligible voters cast a ballot last time.

It's said that a low turnout benefits Republicans (I don't know why), which is presumably the reason Republicans try to make voting as awkward as possible.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)