U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

5 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I easily hate this individual to a far greater degree than I do the bumbling, arrogant incompetent in the White House. He's done more to destroy the foundations of American democracy possibly than anyone in history.

McConnell's hypocrisy is jaw-dropping, but he's aided and abetted by all the other Republicans in Congress. 

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trump will be attending an anti-abortion rally on Friday.

That will delight his base.  And he has to keep his base happy in the run up to the November election.

Republicans have a great interest in foetuses. A greater interest than in actual people. All concerned about them while in the womb but once out of it f*%# them. They wont give existing humans healthcare while raving about the welfare of a foetus.

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Republicans have a great interest in foetuses. A greater interest than in actual people. All concerned about them while in the womb but once out of it f*%# them. They wont give existing humans healthcare while raving about the welfare of a foetus.

True enough. But it's even worse than a mere foetus-fetish.  A zygote is formed when an ovum is fertilized, and it is no bigger than the period at the end of this sentence.  That almost invisible zygote is an "unborn baby", according to Republicans, and is entitled to the same protection of the law.  The foetus doesn't appear until about 8 weeks after conception.

Abortion is legal is the US, at least until the Republicans get the Supreme Court loaded with right-wing judges.  It's curious that the POTUS would attend an anti-abortion rally.  It's the first time any Republican president has done that.

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

True enough. But it's even worse than a mere foetus-fetish.  A zygote is formed when an ovum is fertilized, and it is no bigger than the period at the end of this sentence.  That almost invisible zygote is an "unborn baby", according to Republicans, and is entitled to the same protection of the law.  The foetus doesn't appear until about 8 weeks after conception.

Abortion is legal is the US, at least until the Republicans get the Supreme Court loaded with right-wing judges.  It's curious that the POTUS would attend an anti-abortion rally.  It's the first time any Republican president has done that.

I am reading a book just now by Mario Puzo who wrote Godfather, this one is called The Fourth K. It was written in 1990. It interests me because there is a lot to do with Impeachment, the closed door meetings and strategies to either get the President or protect him. I just find it sort of strange that I am reading a book from 1990 and there is such relevance to todays Presidential Impeachment, its almost waht goes around comes around. Fact is not always stranger than fiction.

I'll give Trump one thing. His behaviour has put the spotlight on how horrible US politicians are. I hadn't really noticed before.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'll give Trump one thing. His behaviour has put the spotlight on how horrible US politicians are. I hadn't really noticed before.

That's Trump's normal behaviour, he's been like this his entire life, just now he's in the spotlight more than before.

Mac_fae_Gillie
5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's Trump's normal behaviour, he's been like this his entire life, just now he's in the spotlight more than before.

Think this though has highlighted how far party politicians will go to support party over nation. Clearly the man is guilty clearly on dozens of issues he is unfit to be POTUS but he gets the votes of his party because they want to remain in power.

Do wonder how much long term damage it will do to them, every argument they have made in his defence is recorded pure ammunition to the Dems for next election and if any of them try to be President in the one after that'll be very damming on them.

Television is probably one of the most useful weapons of todays politicians. Having said that it has to be the worst thing around for them. Taped statements by them in years past which show them state an opinion which they so  widely contradict today has certainly provided if not evidence  some entertainment of a comedic nature.

2 hours ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Think this though has highlighted how far party politicians will go to support party over nation. Clearly the man is guilty clearly on dozens of issues he is unfit to be POTUS but he gets the votes of his party because they want to remain in power.

Do wonder how much long term damage it will do to them, every argument they have made in his defence is recorded pure ammunition to the Dems for next election and if any of them try to be President in the one after that'll be very damming on them.

In years to come there will be many politicians who will desperately try and distance themselves from being associated with Trump in order to save their political careers and for those politicians who have either retired or died, well their memory and legacy will be trashed when the truth about 'The Don' finally comes out, and it will come out.

I agree, as I also wonder what lasting damage the Republican party will bestow upon themselves for their current desperate desire to stay in power at any cost.   Sold their souls to the devil, and it will come back to burn them.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Donald exposed again. After the Iraq rocket raid on a US airbase he said no injuries. Later found that there were in fact 30+ brain injuries, Donald advised the world that these were headaches. It has now been established that eight of these men are now at Walter Reed hospital with traumatic brain injuries, Trump supporters suggest he wasn't advised of these injuries or their seriousness, if the Pentagon saw fit not to advise the President, does it not raise the question of who the hell is driving this bus.

I have to admit I really am totally ignorant about these new weapons. It seems these ballistic missiles are constructed to impose major shock on the bodies doing terrible damage even before the shrapnel hits. One comment was made that IED,s are designed by high pressure shock to actually disintegrate say an arm before the shrapnel comes and tears the body apart.  I just cannot imagine sitting at a desk designing such a terrible thing, I give thanks I am old and won't be around long enough to see too many of their future machinations.

annushorribilis III
13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

At least Schiff & Pelosi have some dignity but GOP loyalties come first so they're simply made out to be partisan by sections of the media eg Fox "News". 

8 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

The Donald exposed again. After the Iraq rocket raid on a US airbase he said no injuries. Later found that there were in fact 30+ brain injuries, Donald advised the world that these were headaches. It has now been established that eight of these men are now at Walter Reed hospital with traumatic brain injuries, Trump supporters suggest he wasn't advised of these injuries or their seriousness, if the Pentagon saw fit not to advise the President, does it not raise the question of who the hell is driving this bus.

I have to admit I really am totally ignorant about these new weapons. It seems these ballistic missiles are constructed to impose major shock on the bodies doing terrible damage even before the shrapnel hits. One comment was made that IED,s are designed by high pressure shock to actually disintegrate say an arm before the shrapnel comes and tears the body apart.  I just cannot imagine sitting at a desk designing such a terrible thing, I give thanks I am old and won't be around long enough to see too many of their future machinations.

Are neutron Bombs still illegal?

Just now, ri Alban said:

Like I say I am totally ignorant on all this stuff so no answer to give.

You have to understand I am an old 303 rifle with a six inch bayonet man,hand grenades, sten guns and bren guns. All one step up from the lance and bow and arrow. As a polis I had a wooden stick, and a lamp with an acid battery, as I said I am really old , the only shock pressure I ever withstood was with a drill sgt standing almost on my feet his face six inches from mine while he advised me with heavy spittal flying that I was an idle man, who may have broken his mothers heart but would not break his. Changed days.

J.T.F.Robertson
4 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

You have to understand I am an old 303 rifle with a six inch bayonet man,hand grenades, sten guns and bren guns. All one step up from the lance and bow and arrow. As a polis I had a wooden stick, and a lamp with an acid battery, as I said I am really old , the only shock pressure I ever withstood was with a drill sgt standing almost on my feet his face six inches from mine while he advised me with heavy spittal flying that I was an idle man, who may have broken his mothers heart but would not break his. Changed days.

Arf! You're a JKB treasure, Bob.

7 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Nothing wrong with old style weapons. Give me a Gatlin Gun and I'll protect the World. :D

Edited by ri Alban

annushorribilis III
24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

A quick read on Wiki & Quora says no - not banned , just not used due to their relative inefficiency (bit weird : they are more lethal than old style bombs but not where it matters , in the battlefield) . But I'm no expert. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
36 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Don;'The Donald exposed again. After the Iraq rocket raid on a US airbase he said no injuries. Later found that there were in fact 30+ brain injuries, Donald advised the world that these were headaches. It has now been established that eight of these men are now at Walter Reed hospital with traumatic brain injuries, Trump supporters suggest he wasn't advised of these injuries or their seriousness, if the Pentagon saw fit not to advise the President, does it not raise the question of who the hell is driving this bus.

Nothing really new here, basic concussion from explosion. If they had been in a harderned shelter and one landed near by with some force entering the shelter it can be amplified by its inability to leave.

This is why a small bomb in a bus or train does so much damage.

Another great example is Stalingrad in WW2 the bombed areas with roofs. doors and windows missing were far safer to use than the other building as the any new bombs landing lost a lot of their force thru the open gaps rather than been trapped.

8 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

A quick read on Wiki & Quora says no - not banned , just not used due to their relative inefficiency (bit weird : they are more lethal than old style bombs but not where it matters , in the battlefield) . But I'm no expert. 

I always thought the neutron bomb is the best bomb. Kill the people and leave all the assets for the taking. 

If you really want to.

annushorribilis III
5 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Nothing really new here, basic concussion from explosion. If they had been in a harderned shelter and one landed near by with some force entering the shelter it can be amplified by its inability to leave.

This is why a small bomb in a bus or train does so much damage.

Another great example is Stalingrad in WW2 the bombed areas with roofs. doors and windows missing were far safer to use than the other building as the any new bombs landing lost a lot of their force thru the open gaps rather than been trapped.

Maybe not quite so bad (on Twitter tonight) -

8 returned to the US for further treatment, 9 undergoing evaluations in Germany 1 went to Kuwait for treatment and returned to service. 16 returned to service.

3 hours ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Winning another term as president and retaining control of the Senate are high priorities for the Republicans.  In the next 5 years there is likely to be at least one new Supreme Court justice appointed.  A Republican president and a Republican Senate will ensure that the new judge is conservative, which will make the Supreme Court dominated by conservatives for at least three decades.

Goodbye Roe v Wade, which is the Republican ultimate goal.  The Republicans are playing the long game, and they're good at it.

Shanks said no

US Space Force logo on left and the Star Trek emblem on right

After consultation with our Great Military Leaders, designers, and others, I am pleased to present the new logo for the United States Space Force, the Sixth Branch of our Magnificent Military!

How original Donald

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

After consultation with our Great Military Leaders, designers, and others, I am pleased to present the new logo for the United States Space Force, the Sixth Branch of our Magnificent Military!

How original Donald

Just as well they aren't known for litigation in that country.

4 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

How original Donald

Space Force :facepalm:

Camouflage uniforms ::facepaw::

Donald Trump as President

:jj_facepalm:

It's all just so embarrassing. And a testament to Scots that I've only ever gotten the most good natured slagging off about it.

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The fact that he trips over his own tongue at times is the least of his issues.

Frontotemporal dementia

Symptoms may include:

• Changes in emotions – this may include a change in how people express their feelings towards others or a lack of understanding of other people’s feelings.
  • Lack of interest – people may become withdrawn or lose interest in looking after themselves, such as failing to maintain their normal level of personal hygiene.
  • Inappropriate behaviour – this might include making inappropriate jokes or showing a lack of tact. Humour or sexual behaviour may change. Some people become impulsive or easily distracted.
  • Obsessions – people might develop unusual beliefs, interests or obsessions.
  • Diet – changes in food preference such as eating more sweet things, over-eating or over-drinking.
  • Awareness – lack of awareness of any changes in their personality or behaviour.
  • Decision making – difficulty with simple plans and decisions.
  • Language – decline in language abilities. This might include difficulty getting words out or understanding them. People may repeat commonly used words and phrases, or forget the meaning of words.
  • Recognition – difficulty recognising people or knowing what objects are for.
  • Memory – day-to-day memory may be relatively unaffected in the early stages, but problems with attention and concentration could give the impression of memory problems.
  • Movement problems – around one in every eight people with behavioural variant FTD also develops movement problems of motor neurone disease. This can include stiff or twitching muscles, muscle weakness and difficulty swallowing.

I still believe he will not finish his first term. Having said that I never believed that a whole political party would support, strictly for their own maintenance of power and majority in office  so blindly a terrible individual. To view some of the comments by those who are now strong supporters prior to his winning the 2016 election is staggering. As is often said now the Impeachment proceedings have been a farce, the most likely vehicle of conclusion will be the 2020 election where the American people will be required to show up and make their vote count. If they do not there is an almost a written novel type possibility that a Trump will be in some type of non democratic power for many ensuing years. Probably also non elected.

6 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I still believe he will not finish his first term. Having said that I never believed that a whole political party would support, strictly for their own maintenance of power and majority in office  so blindly a terrible individual. To view some of the comments by those who are now strong supporters prior to his winning the 2016 election is staggering. As is often said now the Impeachment proceedings have been a farce, the most likely vehicle of conclusion will be the 2020 election where the American people will be required to show up and make their vote count. If they do not there is an almost a written novel type possibility that a Trump will be in some type of non democratic power for many ensuing years. Probably also non elected.

That's the key right there, Bob.  Trump is the Republicans' best bet for retaining the presidency and retaining control of the Senate. By retaining control of those two, they are the ones who appoint judges to the SCOTUS as well as thousands of lower court positions.  They are reshaping the judicial system so that conservatives will be writing the laws for decades to come.  

Republicans will circle the wagons and fight tooth and nail to get Trump successfully through the November elections. In private, they might think he's a crass buffoon, but that won't stop them from supporting him.

4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's the key right there, Bob.  Trump is the Republicans' best bet for retaining the presidency and retaining control of the Senate. By retaining control of those two, they are the ones who appoint judges to the SCOTUS as well as thousands of lower court positions.  They are reshaping the judicial system so that conservatives will be writing the laws for decades to come.  

Republicans will circle the wagons and fight tooth and nail to get Trump successfully through the November elections. In private, they might think he's a crass buffoon, but that won't stop them from supporting him.

I had just entered my post and I went through and turned on the TV. McConnel telling them they must not vote for witnesses. On the social media threats against the main three who are considering a vote for witnesses. This is no longer the United States of America, the proud always there to help, and have been the recipient of my ultimate respect for the better part pf seventy five years, this is a country ruled by an erstwhile dictator, seen by many as mentally deficient, supported as are most dictatorships by followers who are more interested in their own interests than the people they purport to represent. Again I repeat I was asked once why I cared I don't even live in the Country, I care because I now have relatives including great grandchildren who live there, because I remember the fine men I met as a child who were  kind to children who were short of the goodies of childhood, who fought and died with our own men. To me these were Americans, not this mob who support and encourage Trump.

Trump will officially be above the law to commit election fraud in November when these cowardly self interested senators acquit him without witnesses. Shame for Nixon he did not have Fox news and McConnell as he would have been untouchable also. 

9 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Trump will officially be above the law to commit election fraud in November when these cowardly self interested senators acquit him without witnesses. Shame for Nixon he did not have Fox news and McConnell as he would have been untouchable also. 

Almost since the day he was elected, Trump has claimed that he is allowed to do whatever he wants as president. 

The Senate is about to prove him right.

Malinga the Swinga

Just to clarify things in my own mind, I want to make sure I have this correct.

The country that last week saw one of its special prosecutors bleating in the media about Andrew refusing to co-operate as a witness in the US investigation of Epstein, has now seen fit to allow the trial of its leader to proceed but not allow any testimony or calling of witnesses!

Do these arseholes from the US not realise the hypocrisy and ridicule that they are inviting on themselves. I was on jury for high court trial a couple of months ago and if there hadn't been any witness testimony or appearances, safe to say the verdict would have been different.

For a country that does a lot of things right, they have got this situation majorly wrong. 

The thing is, most of the Republicans who voted to make this happen won't see any effects of this ridicule. They'll be reelected. That's the most pathetic part about it.

I have watched the proceedings fairly closely, and I have watched the post interviews. I am  confused, mainly because of upbringing learned behaviour and many court appearances.

As a boy I don't remember my mother saying, Robert son you were wrong but I am not going to listen to the neighbour who saw or heard you so there will be no punishment or even correction. In court I have never heard a lawyer say yes my client commited the crime, and I rightly would not let any witnesses testify so you must acquit because it wasn't a crime worth having a trial over.

I have had people whom I would prefer not to face, they had a reputation and it was formidable. But, there are two choices fight or flee, I chose the former. It seems a full assembly of persons elected to represent their State and population are so afraid of Donald Trump that they totally refuse although in some cases  stating what Trump is accused of has been proven they will not allow witnesses and will vote to acquit. I was criticised for calling a now charged with failing to do his duty Deputy who was somewhat responsible for loss of numerous lives a coward, its very difficult to look at the U.S. senate and for different reasons have similar feelings of neglect of duty for members of the Senate.

Edited by bobsharp

Two American teams made it to the final though - that's got to noteworthy. D'you think he noticed that?

Although San Francisco could just sound a little Mexican-y...

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Boof said:

Two American teams made it to the final though - that's got to noteworthy. D'you think he noticed that?

Although San Francisco could just sound a little Mexican-y...

He’s certainly a muppet.

On 01/02/2020 at 12:55, bobsharp said:

I have watched the proceedings fairly closely, and I have watched the post interviews. I am  confused, mainly because of upbringing learned behaviour and many court appearances.

As a boy I don't remember my mother saying, Robert son you were wrong but I am not going to listen to the neighbour who saw or heard you so there will be no punishment or even correction. In court I have never heard a lawyer say yes my client commited the crime, and I rightly would not let any witnesses testify so you must acquit because it wasn't a crime worth having a trial over.

I have had people whom I would prefer not to face, they had a reputation and it was formidable. But, there are two choices fight or flee, I chose the former. It seems a full assembly of persons elected to represent their State and population are so afraid of Donald Trump that they totally refuse although in some cases  stating what Trump is accused of has been proven they will not allow witnesses and will vote to acquit. I was criticised for calling a now charged with failing to do his duty Deputy who was somewhat responsible for loss of numerous lives a coward, its very difficult to look at the U.S. senate and for different reasons have similar feelings of neglect of duty for members of the Senate.

The Republican senators have made it clear to everyone ... keeping their job is more important than doing their job.

12 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

*Missouri

:facepalm:

To be fair to him, Kansas City does actually straddle both Kansas and Missouri. 

The Chiefs however, are based in Missouri which makes the facepalm apt. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, trotter said:

To be fair to him, Kansas City does actually straddle both Kansas and Missouri. 

The Chiefs however, are based in Missouri which makes the facepalm apt. 

To be fair to him he’s a f*****g idiot.

J.T.F.Robertson
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

To be fair to him he’s a f*****g idiot.

Haha, beat me to it. A Mensa level f*****g idiot don't forget.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)