U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

It's possible. I've said before that my preferred outcome is that the legal net starts to close and he hikes up his britches and flees the country. There will always be idiots who pine for him, but a guy who cuts and runs like that becomes a lot less appealing as a political hero.

Think they took his passport.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Think they took his passport.

They returned it. Besides, he has enough enablers with yachts and runabouts and private jets to get him from Mar a Lago to St. Petersburg without a passport.

15 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

They returned it. Besides, he has enough enablers with yachts and runabouts and private jets to get him from Mar a Lago to St. Petersburg without a passport.

I seriously wouldn't put it past him to defect to Russia.

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

He's such a clown that if he was told to flee to St. Petersburg he'd drive across Florida to the Tampa area.  :biggrin:

9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

@JFK-1 @Led Tasso You guys keep posted encouraging stories which give me some hope that Trump really is going to be held to account for his misdeeds.

But, as I've said before, I still think the criminal buffoon will dodge the bullet due to a complicit GOP and a bent SCOTUS.  Also as I've said before, I hope I'm wrong.

I understand your hesitation, and it's been a long time habit for you when it comes to Trump. 😉

I used to think that too, but soon after Jan 6th I began to have doubts that they would let this go, could let this go. He incited and guided an insurrection in public view FFS.

In the few weeks afterwards it became clear this was an attempt to at a bare minimum prevent the transfer of power taking place. A violent coup attempt that could have resulted in the murder of VP right in our faces.

And i began to think can they really let him away with this? And came to the conclusion that if they did this country was done as a functioning democracy and as a trustworthy trade partner and ally. And I began to feel surely not, surely they can't let this pass.

And that was even before we all became clued up on how multi faceted and planned out the entire thing was. Multiple lines of executing a coup. And now the documents, did Antifa put them there? 

Now I simply see no way out for him. Everything else Trump ever wriggled out of were civil cases and that's nothing like a criminal trial if they indict him and he pleads not guilty. Which presumably he would.

I think Trump lies instinctively about everything, even when it's in his interests to tell the truth. Trump can always think of a better story than the truth, he's been a fantasist all his life. Here's an anecdote about him from years ago, long before the presidency.

Trump was hosting some sort of gathering of business people and local politicians and an acquaintance of his at the time who was present was a guy who worked for some big multi national, I can't remember which.

But this guy wasn't top level management at this company or anything like it yet when Trump is introducing him to others he calls him something along the lines of only a heartbeat or two away from the top spot.

This was embarrassing the guy who asked him to stop it, he didn't, and why he was doing it. Trump replies, "because it's a better story"

Imagine a guy like that in a criminal trial, though you would have to imagine his lawyers would plead with him to say nothing at all. Not a good optic for someone pleading innocence.

But the alternative, him talking would be a nightmare for a defence team, a dream come true for prosecutors, and for me too. I would pay to watch that destruction by what would be some top notch government prosecutor.

And Trump is no smarter than some idiot caught on CCTV robbing a store, fake news. Doctored tape, not me, crooked cops framing me. What they have on Trump is even better than CCTV, he's truly nailed this time.

As for SCOTUS, I think they're right wing nuts heavy, but not Trump devoted. They don't care about Trump, they already got their cushy job for life no matter what happens to Trump. And I think the majority of the GOP would be happy too, they don't like Trump, they just kowtow to him because they're like spineless quislings.

You think the future would look rosier for say Ted Cruz if Trump were still on the loose wreaking havoc, or taken out of the equation entirely? What would Cruz opt for if he could choose? 

The vast majority would be happier to see Trump out of the equation, because you never know when he might set the mob on you for one thing, plus surely all that humiliating kowtowing to this criminal sociopath has to sometimes be, agonisingly humiliating.

Aside from the real wackos, The Qanon Marjorie Taylor Green faction, they would love to see the back of him.

If they indict him with these crimes he's done, he wont be pulling an OJ Simpson. He's so nailed the gloves fit. So the way I see it now his only way out is if they don't indict him, but I believe they will.

And that's exactly why there are threats of violence being tossed around if he's indicted. Because that's their last refuge.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

If they indict him with these crimes he's done, he wont be pulling an OJ Simpson. He's so nailed the gloves fit. So the way I see it now his only way out is if they don't indict him, but I believe they will.

If he is put on trial and found guilty then I would not be surprised if he was put under house arrest for 5-10 years, I don't think the US (or it's corrections department) could cope with him in a physical prison. 

Not sure which house/where they would keep him though ?

The ultimate punishment could be that he has to stay at an outhouse at Mar a Lago but for security the club has to be closed. That would be delightful.

Hagar the Horrible

Just read the DOJ responce to the request for a Special Master.  54 pages of it

Trump and his lawyers have just asked the DOJ for a kick in the balls and complained they have just kicked them in the balls.

The thing is they were obstructing the search by moving stuff around, and the search did not include other rrom not connected to Trump, any idiot or foreign national could be collecting boxes, or indeed had access to them at any time.

Big thing is even as a delaying tactic, 2 weeks after the boxes were obtained and had been assesed by people who had to get clearence, the asking for a special master was pointless, besides all the documents were owned by the US not trump.

Its like a burgler who has had his home searched asking for other stolen goods to be returned to him as nobody else has claimed them.

It makes you wonder what Trump was like with his toys when he was a kid?

Unknown user

While Qanon are awaiting The Signal from trump to slaughter his enemies, he's shared 12 posts from 8 Qanon sites yesterday morning.

Thankfully, the signal's a bit subtle for them.

signal.gif

5 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Just read the DOJ responce to the request for a Special Master.  54 pages of it

Trump and his lawyers have just asked the DOJ for a kick in the balls and complained they have just kicked them in the balls.

The thing is they were obstructing the search by moving stuff around, and the search did not include other rrom not connected to Trump, any idiot or foreign national could be collecting boxes, or indeed had access to them at any time.

Big thing is even as a delaying tactic, 2 weeks after the boxes were obtained and had been assesed by people who had to get clearence, the asking for a special master was pointless, besides all the documents were owned by the US not trump.

Its like a burgler who has had his home searched asking for other stolen goods to be returned to him as nobody else has claimed them.

It makes you wonder what Trump was like with his toys when he was a kid?

I have to confess that your posts are becoming like a comfort blanket to me. :thumb:

How many lawyers who have been around Trump now need a lawyer themselves? The number is stacking up. There's four seasons Rudy of course, probably going to jail for the Georgia case.

The guy Eastman who devised a plot to get Pence to overthrow the election, he's currently pleading the 5th in the Georgia grand jury hearings. Trumps old lawyer Michael Cohen, did time for him already.

And probably more I forgot or didn't know about, and now apparently it's highly likely somebody, perhaps yet another lawyer around Trump, could be doing jail time for obstruction of justice regarding recovery of the classified documents.

They lied by saying all documents had been returned, did a thorough search, nothing classified here. One woman lawyer signed off on that. Are they going to indict her alone for that?

Has Trump pulled another version of the mob boss strategy? The mob boss orders a hit, but he's not going to be out there pulling the trigger. If it all goes pear shaped it's the 'soldier' who is going down, not him.

How dumb are these people? Are they all Homer Simpson like characters? Trump has been throwing all and sundry around him under the bus his entire life. Actually it would be karma like if people now start throwing him under the bus.

Love it if Rudy turned super snitch. Rudy is 78, he could be looking at 15 years, would Rudy decide to die in prison for Trump? Or would he take a deal to be a super rat for immunity?

Funny thought, what would Trump do if he could get a deal like taht rat on everybody else. I'm pretty coinfident I know what he would do, even if Evanka and his entire family but him were going into the can. 

Another funny thought, could Melania possibly be a secret snitch? Would life be better for her with this maniac still on the loose or in the can?

Donald Trump attorney Christina Bobb might need her own attorney for allegedly lying for Trump. New details have emerged about Bobb and the Trump legal team's failure to fully comply with a subpoena for documents marked as classified.

The New York Times reports that back in June Bobb signed a statement attesting that all the sensitive material in Trump's personal possession had been returned. Her statement was attached to the Justice Department’s filing on Tuesday.

17 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

This is probably the most revealing thing I've read about the old tyrant in months.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/30/trump-documents-papers-disorganized/

It doesn't surprise me, I always knew it was always about ego, and his niece said years ago she suspected a reading disorder. There must be papers scattered here there and everywhere.

And unless they take him out of circulation he's a permanent security risk. Everything in those documents has to be considered revealed, and what else does he know not in these documents he's blabbed/bragged about that's also been revealed.

Can we trust anything he ever came into contact with?

Democrats take the only Congressional seat in Alaska, with Mary Peltoa beating Sarah Palin.

Peltoa is an Alaskan Yup'ik native.

The seat became available after Republican Don Young died in March.

The seat will be elected again in November at the mid-terms.

:interehjrling:

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Democrats take the only Congressional seat in Alaska, with Mary Peltoa beating Sarah Palin.

Peltoa is an Alaskan Yup'ik native.

The seat became available after Republican Don Young died in March.

The seat will be elected again in November at the mid-terms.

:interehjrling:

That’s seems a right slap in the face for Palin.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s seems a right slap in the face for Palin.

And right on cue Trump has labelled it as election fraud.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/palin-defeat-rigged-trump-truth-social-b2157216.html

This is the state of American politics, with Trump and his acolytes claiming every result is fraudulent when they don't win.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And right on cue Trump has labelled it as election fraud.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/palin-defeat-rigged-trump-truth-social-b2157216.html

This is the state of American politics, with Trump and his acolytes claiming every result is fraudulent when they don't win.

Nothing has changed as he's still full of *****.

Hagar the Horrible

So he in his statement that these presidential records should be expected and normal to have sensitive information. But claims their both presidential and his, it has to be one or the other?

The photograph of the classifies information, which he asked for to be released was insane.  As an attempt to turn a massive espionage crime into a political witch hunt has worked up to a point.

But as a former president he cannot de-classify any of these documents retrospectively.  And he is more or less in my opinion claiming this as souvenirs.   Now what he has done is treason, espionage on an industrial scale and stored these documents in his own home which is also a hotel.

Even when he was president taking records that belong to the nation is one thing, but the nature of what’s contained and the level of access that persons who have access to is beyond a security breach.  I have SC clearance, and have never seen a paper with top secret on it.  But if I found one just lying on somebodies desk or worse in their house, I am duty bound to report a security breach and if necessary get the information security commission involved and Special Branch. 

Trump has left these available for any passer by to take, copy or read, including foreign nationals.  He probably does not even know what’s in them or care who could get hurt as a consequence.

On the top secret docs these are the codes the Americans use

HCS-P stands for “HUMINT control system product,” and it indicates that the information was derived from clandestine human sources. But there are some protections: Most finished intelligence that contains HCS-P information generally doesn’t disclose the identity of the specific source but provides a general statement about the source’s reliability and access, according to one government source who routinely accesses classified documents.

SI stands for Special Intelligence, and suggests that the information was derived from what is called “signals intelligence” — things like intercepted foreign phone calls and emails, for example.

TK stands for Talent Keyhole, which is a highly classified government satellite program.

His legal team have stated that after January there was no classified or sensitive documents in the possession of Trump.  Cristina Bobb has publicly stated there is nothing to see here no crime has been committed.  But she also signed a document stating that all classified documents had been turned over.  Which is now proved to be untrue.  She has as a lawyer the right to defend a criminal even if she know they have committed a crime, how ever her and Trumps legal team cannot be complicit in that crime.  I think Christina might need a lawyer, especially if she has handled any of these docs.  And on that subject what delivery men handled those documents, what staff members have had access to this this?  And worse if they have concealed any of this documents from the FBI  that’s also a crime.  I would suggest that right now the intelligence services are trying to protect assets all over the world from being compromised, I bet its too late for several.

Trump just wants his toys back, he does not want to play with them he just does not want the other kids to play with them either. 

Judge is set to rule on whether or not a "Special Master" is required for the documents the FBI have picked up later today.

The Trump legal team travelled to a court 600miles away from Mar a Lago to file their request so it would be reviewed by a judge who was appointed 2 weeks after Trump lost the election. 

It's effectively a delay tactic if it comes off, however that delay might be minimal since the docs have all been reviewed.

9 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Savage.

She really is all that. It's going to be tight and Kemp will again have his finger on the scale but I am really holding out hope that she wins that seat. Could be absolutely transformative in the South.

We're hoping to get Cheri Beasley across the line here in NC, and she's a great candidate who will hopefully be a great Senator, but Abrams is a once-in-a-generation phenomenon.

7 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Judge is set to rule on whether or not a "Special Master" is required for the documents the FBI have picked up later today.

The Trump legal team travelled to a court 600miles away from Mar a Lago to file their request so it would be reviewed by a judge who was appointed 2 weeks after Trump lost the election. 

It's effectively a delay tactic if it comes off, however that delay might be minimal since the docs have all been reviewed.

His D-grade legal team failed to file a motion for to limit what the FBI could review, so now the Special Master is entirely window dressing. They needed to file that request the day of the raid. They dicked around because his main lawyer is a washed up former right wing TV personality who's barely ever actually practiced law.

And now it looks like that same pasted-together legal team are targets of the DOJ investigation for obstruction of justice by lying in sworn affidavits about what was in Mar a Lago.

3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

And now it looks like that same pasted-together legal team are targets of the DOJ investigation for obstruction of justice by lying in sworn affidavits about what was in Mar a Lago.

I don't get these people. They can lose their licence to practice law for this. Throw away their life for cretin like Trump? I don't get it. 

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't get these people. They can lose their licence to practice law for this. Throw away their life for cretin like Trump? I don't get it. 

The titanic amounts of money sloshing around various right-wing think tanks and media outlets funded by reactionary billionaires means they'll never fear the dole line. The "conservative movement" in the US has perfected failing up.

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

The titanic amounts of money sloshing around various right-wing think tanks and media outlets funded by reactionary billionaires means they'll never fear the dole line. The "conservative movement" in the US has perfected failing up.

I have no idea how much jail time a charge like obstruction of justice in this instance could produce. I remember it being said Rudy could be looking at up to 15 years but that's a different charge. This woman Christina Bobb, would she be willing to do any jail time at all? Far less years.

I definitely don't see Rudy accepting 15 years if there's a way out.

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I have no idea how much jail time a charge like obstruction of justice in this instance could produce. I remember it being said Rudy could be looking at up to 15 years but that's a different charge. This woman Christina Bobb, would she be willing to do any jail time at all? Far less years.

I definitely don't see Rudy accepting 15 years if there's a way out.

I'm not going to pretend to know how prosecutors think but it seems like if you're going after the lawyers, you're either trying to flip them or your pinning them down to cut down the real target's legal leeway.

But again this is way outside my lanes.

8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

More justice

Trump is saying that this criminal, plus all the other criminals in jail because of January 6, will be "seriously, seriously" considered for a pardon if he is re-elected in 2024.

Violent criminal acts are OK, it seems, if they are done on Trump's behalf.

We might never fully know what this idiot has done. More than 11,000 documents in total.

Dozens of empty folders marked secret? Where are the contents? What were the contents?

We know we will never get the truth from the crazy himself. He would lie even if telling the truth were the rational thing to do.

Among the files allegedly recovered from that room during the unprecedented 8 August search were:

3 documents marked confidential

17 documents marked secret

7 documents marked top secret

43 empty folders with classified banners

28 empty folders labelled "Return to staff secretary/military aide"

More than 11,000 government documents in total were retrieved by the FBI from the Palm Beach estate, say investigators. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62771613

As more snippets emerge you seriously have to start wondering what the worst thing this cretinous wannabe tyrant has done actually is. Could it be these documents?

And regarding this lawyer Christina Bobb I would suspect she's highly flippable. I'm going to post a clip which will be primed to start at a significant moment.

It's Michael Cohen talking about what a liar Trump is, "Trump lies like other people breathe" and he's saying this woman should have known that. Cohen says Trump will have harangued/intimidated this woman into signing off on that subpoena.

She's going to have to confess she never made the search she signed off on, or continue lying for Trump and take the fall? Doubtful in my opinion.

In addition this clip also goes on to mention something highly sinister I was unaware of till now.

Trump had all of the documents at that club in May/June 2021 around the time it became common knowledge he had documents the archives wanted returned. Here's what I didn't know.

Following Cohen someone else goes on to say that just a few months after the documents becoming public knowledge the CIA issued a world wide warning stating that you need to take better care of your assets. Because they're being bumped off at an unusual rate.

Coincidence? What has this freak done. It's treason.

Five years ago, journalist and historian Thomas Ricks thought it was one in three shot the US was headed towards civil war. He thinks the chances are lower now. He's no oracle of course but this kind of thing is his field of expertise.

The tl;dr is that American institutions are, albeit slowly, going through the process of tracking down and punishing the chief insurrectionists on Jan 6, and that the hard right isn't showing any kind of conviction or discipline in the face of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/09/05/why-ive-stopped-fearing-america-is-headed-civil-war/

A lot still hangs on November, though.

A Trump-appointed judge has ruled in Trump's favour, and will appoint a "master" for the seized Mar-a-Lago documents.  He has also ordered the FBI to stop it's investigation.

This is a significant legal victory for Trump.

With a biased judiciary in Trump's corner, is there any chance of an indictment, let alone a conviction, in this matter?

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

A Trump-appointed judge has ruled in Trump's favour, and will appoint a "master" for the seized Mar-a-Lago documents.  He has also ordered the FBI to stop it's investigation.

This is a significant legal victory for Trump.

With a biased judiciary in Trump's corner, is there any chance of an indictment, let alone a conviction, in this matter?

This doesn't change anything, it merely delays. And that's another lifelong Trump tactic. Delay delay delay. 

A Trump-appointed judge granted Donald Trump's special master request, thereby delaying parts of the Justice Department's criminal probe. “When you allow Republicans to control the courts you get nothing,” legal expert Elie Mystal says to Joy Reid, adding his view that, “Trump judges do not believe in the rule of law.”

10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

This doesn't change anything, it merely delays. And that's another lifelong Trump tactic. Delay delay delay. 

Might end up being counter productive as an extra step or process can just disclose more shit especially with track record of the defence lawyers. 

Hagar the Horrible
5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

A Trump-appointed judge granted Donald Trump's special master request, thereby delaying parts of the Justice Department's criminal probe. “When you allow Republicans to control the courts you get nothing,” legal expert Elie Mystal says to Joy Reid, adding his view that, “Trump judges do not believe in the rule of law.”

For a lot of very clever people, there is no rule of law, their legal system is broken, yet they constantly try to override laws in other countries by using the Trump(not that trump)  card in imposing their own laws where their own nationals are involved.  Our imbalanced extradition treaty is testiment to that,  Assange wont get a fair trial over there, that murderer  hiding behind her husbands diplomatic passport proves that, in fact they wanted to give the chair to a UK teenager with autism, because he hacked their systems, he exposed a weakness, he should have been offered a job.

But how soft is biden a Trump appointed Trump moves in favour of Trump, NS Sherlock.  Trump must view this as a huge win.  for justice and law, as well as democracy Trump must lose, that Judge needs jailed as well

dobmisterdobster
5 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

For a lot of very clever people, there is no rule of law, their legal system is broken, yet they constantly try to override laws in other countries by using the Trump(not that trump)  card in imposing their own laws where their own nationals are involved.  Our imbalanced extradition treaty is testiment to that,  Assange wont get a fair trial over there, that murderer  hiding behind her husbands diplomatic passport proves that, in fact they wanted to give the chair to a UK teenager with autism, because he hacked their systems, he exposed a weakness, he should have been offered a job.

But how soft is biden a Trump appointed Trump moves in favour of Trump, NS Sherlock.  Trump must view this as a huge win.  for justice and law, as well as democracy Trump must lose, that Judge needs jailed as well

You can't jail a judge for doing his job. Whatever your opinion is on their ruling. This isn't a dictatorship.

The legal reasoning was basically that this was such a hot potato of an item that a special master would make everyone more calm. It almost certainly doesn't make a difference to the actual investigation in the end, as the FBI had already reviewed everything they took. Now they just can't re-review it if they want, until the Special Master says so.

The bad precedent is that it basically creates a different class of law for the ex-President, which is a terrible precedent to set.

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

It's a distinct possibility that the UK's nuclear secrets were lying around on the floor of an office with tacky carpet in Mar a Lago.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/whose-nukes-plans-got-stored-in-the-closet-at-mar-a-lago/sharetoken/T1RogIWnheGa

When it comes to energy, Trump's feeble brain can't get beyond windmills.

Why on earth would he suddenly take an interest in the UK's nuclear secrets?

21 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

When it comes to energy, Trump's feeble brain can't get beyond windmills.

Why on earth would he suddenly take an interest in the UK's nuclear secrets?

The best argument I've seen is that Trump isn't strategic about any of this, but that he hoards things of value, and for decades has been obsessed with all things nuclear because he sees them as big and powerful. Nuclear secrets are particularly valuable, and while I wouldn't put it past him to use them as a bargaining chip for something or other, it's also possible he just swaggers around and brags about having them.

On a totally unrelated note, Biden's popularity is doing something that no US President's has ever really done. It's going up in a midterm election year.

https://rollcall.com/2022/09/07/biden-on-pace-to-buck-history/?utm_source=morningheadlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletters&utm_content=09/07/2022

He's still relatively unpopular but it's been significantly upward since the IRA bill passed and the student loan forgiveness got announced.

TBF I've not been asked by a pollster but I'd be in that move too. If you asked me in May or June if I approved of the job he's doing, I'd have said no. Today I'd say yes.

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

TBF I've not been asked by a pollster but I'd be in that move too. If you asked me in May or June if I approved of the job he's doing, I'd have said no. Today I'd say yes.

A couple of months ago it looked like the Dems were going to take a shellacking at the mid-terms.  Now, maybe not.

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

A couple of months ago it looked like the Dems were going to take a shellacking at the mid-terms.  Now, maybe not.

Ironically Trump is the Dems greatest weapon. The Republicans want him gone but have dug themselves into such a deep dark hole with him they can't get out.

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Ironically Trump is the Dems greatest weapon. The Republicans want him gone but have dug themselves into such a deep dark hole with him they can't get out.

Hopefully the voters will bury them in that hole at election time.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)