U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Trump Party wins the Virginia governor election.

We can now expect the Qanon Crazies to win big in the mid-terms and Golden Showers Donny to shuffle back into the White House in 2024.

America is goosed and everybody should be making new allies.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rodger Mellie
57 minutes ago, Cade said:

Trump Party wins the Virginia governor election.

We can now expect the Qanon Crazies to win big in the mid-terms and Golden Showers Donny to shuffle back into the White House in 2024.

America is goosed and everybody should be making new allies.

Very tight in the New Jersey gubernatorial race too, which the Dems expected to win. Just became a US Citizen and generally enjoy living here, but if Trump gets back into power I will be moving back to Scotland, pronto.

11 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

If John Kennedy was still alive, he'd be 104 years old.

Mind you, Americans seem to like having old white men as their President.  :wheelchair:

A skeleton though?

The Democrats so far have been a disaster. Biden was an error to start with, but he was selected as candidate I believe and have done since the campaign for his experience in government, but merely as a stand in until his Vice President can run for President in the next campaign. Trump and I can never understand it has the total support of his Party, whilst Biden has people like Bernie Sanders contradicting him on a regular basis. In addition media like Fox News broadcast repeated messages, almost brain washing, e.g. thousands of Americans abandoned in Afghanistan, bringing to the attention of the public Bidens cognitive weaknesses, I suspect some of his hesitation in speaking are stutter related, but he does not present himself well whilst doing what should be well prepared and rehearsed statements, I am as is I am sure well known a non believer in Trump,  he lacks truth, is a bully and has absolutely no sense of loyalty to those who have served, Biden I can relate to, we are both well past our best by date time, and Joe should join me in total retirement. The tragedy is what is happening to a nation that touts itself as the greatest, and is allowing itself because of political bull headedness, and total loyalties to head for a period of complete crisis, and other nations are watching diligently. 

Donald Trump is now bookie's favourite to win in 2024. 7-2 with Biden 5-1. If this happens, America will cease to be a democracy. It's scary just how many otherwise sane people treat him like some sort of Messiah and won't hear a bad word against him.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2024/winner

Real world issues are complex and solutions to them are even more complex.

Conspiracy theories and three word slogans are simple.

Thinking is too hard, so vote for nonsense.

2 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Donald Trump is now bookie's favourite to win in 2024. 7-2 with Biden 5-1. If this happens, America will cease to be a democracy. It's scary just how many otherwise sane people treat him like some sort of Messiah and won't hear a bad word against him.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2024/winner

I think Biden deserves longer odds he will not be running for reelection if he even finishes his first two years as President. He is running an excellent race for being nominated worst President ever, his only claim to fame will be that he took the title from Donald Trump. It is difficult to imagine in a Country of millions those two were considered the best candidate for the job. 

During the campaign I thought Biden was a nice man, he has given me grounds for change, if he was the man I thought he was he would never have run, one of the things about age is you may feel you think well and perform well, but sometimes like myself you find that kindness and respect by the young keep them from rudely advising you when you are being aged. I am still smart enough to know that even on here I have been stupid but advised so respectfully, and in some cases being justifiably told straight out I was wrong. for both attitudes I thank you.

6 hours ago, Sharpie said:

During the campaign I thought Biden was a nice man, he has given me grounds for change, if he was the man I thought he was he would never have run, one of the things about age is you may feel you think well and perform well, but sometimes like myself you find that kindness and respect by the young keep them from rudely advising you when you are being aged. I am still smart enough to know that even on here I have been stupid but advised so respectfully, and in some cases being justifiably told straight out I was wrong. for both attitudes I thank you.

I’m not so sure you can blame Biden for running. The Democratic Party are lost. They fixed it for Hilary to run against Trump when anyone outside that sphere could see he had a real chance of beating her. I like watching the primary debates and you could smell it in the air what was happening with Trump. He was in the right place at the right time. The democrats have ignored large swathes of America that in Hilary’s words they find deplorable. Like Labour here they just simply counted on their votes. I liked Bernie Saunders but they weren’t brave enough to let him be nominated. Would he have won? The Fox News and their ilk would have branded him a communist and I’m not sure CNN etc would have been that favourable to him either. They must stop blaming Trump for everything though as they’re playing into his and the base hands. They fail to understand the issues people vote on. It sounds awful but they’re lucky coronavirus came along as without it I personally think Trump would have got a second term. 

6 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I think Biden deserves longer odds he will not be running for reelection if he even finishes his first two years as President. He is running an excellent race for being nominated worst President ever, his only claim to fame will be that he took the title from Donald Trump. It is difficult to imagine in a Country of millions those two were considered the best candidate for the job. 

There are some insane choices in there. The Rock and Jeff Bezos will not be running. You could clean up if it didn't mean tying your money up for up to three years.

On 03/11/2021 at 01:15, Maple Leaf said:

If John Kennedy was still alive, he'd be 104 years old.

Mind you, Americans seem to like having old white men as their President.  :wheelchair:

Presumably he had been cryogenically frozen by aliens though?

4 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

I’m not so sure you can blame Biden for running. The Democratic Party are lost. They fixed it for Hilary to run against Trump when anyone outside that sphere could see he had a real chance of beating her. I like watching the primary debates and you could smell it in the air what was happening with Trump. He was in the right place at the right time. The democrats have ignored large swathes of America that in Hilary’s words they find deplorable. Like Labour here they just simply counted on their votes. I liked Bernie Saunders but they weren’t brave enough to let him be nominated. Would he have won? The Fox News and their ilk would have branded him a communist and I’m not sure CNN etc would have been that favourable to him either. They must stop blaming Trump for everything though as they’re playing into his and the base hands. They fail to understand the issues people vote on. It sounds awful but they’re lucky coronavirus came along as without it I personally think Trump would have got a second term. 

Cannot take exception to one word in that statement, excellent overview of the situation.

14 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

There are some insane choices in there. The Rock and Jeff Bezos will not be running. You could clean up if it didn't mean tying your money up for up to three years.

Hope we're not forgetting Kanye!

On 03/11/2021 at 11:18, Rodger Mellie said:

Very tight in the New Jersey gubernatorial race too, which the Dems expected to win. Just became a US Citizen and generally enjoy living here, but if Trump gets back into power I will be moving back to Scotland, pronto.

Doesn't this mean that you would have applied to become a US citizen during his presidency?  Unless of course you were fast tracked for some unknown reason.  Perhaps you arrived in the US on day 1 of Biden's presidency, applied on day 2 and US immigration fast tracked you and weeks later you were a US citizen.

That is quite something.

I am also calling bullshit on your claim.  I know nothing of you but I am confident enough to say there is precisely zero percent chance you would move back to scotland if Trump wins in 2024.

Sounds great though and will undoubtedly attract numerous 'likes' on Facebook.

On 03/11/2021 at 22:29, SwindonJambo said:

As was/is the case with Obama.

I just don't know where to begin with this cluster of drivel that has been excreted from your bottom.  You think America will "cease to be a democracy" if Trump is democratically elected?  Have you any idea of where this statement lies on the absurd scale?

:interehjrling:

Rodger Mellie
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Doesn't this mean that you would have applied to become a US citizen during his presidency?  Unless of course you were fast tracked for some unknown reason.  Perhaps you arrived in the US on day 1 of Biden's presidency, applied on day 2 and US immigration fast tracked you and weeks later you were a US citizen.

That is quite something.

I am also calling bullshit on your claim.  I know nothing of you but I am confident enough to say there is precisely zero percent chance you would move back to scotland if Trump wins in 2024.

It was a tongue-in-cheek remark. The whole political system is dysfunctional. I have no hope for whoever gets elected in 2024. 

2 minutes ago, Rodger Mellie said:

It was a tongue-in-cheek remark. The whole political system is dysfunctional. I have no hope for whoever gets elected in 2024. 

I don't envy you living there RM.  I lived there in the late 90s early 2000s and it was great but the place is degenerating with every year.  God, abortion arguments, race arguments, gender arguments, gun arguments and lots of falseness - that is what makes up the country nowadays.

Cracking palce for a holiday though.

One thing about Trump - he never really sold the whole God con to the nation.  I hear him throw in the odd god line now anad again but not quite along the lines of Bush etc.  It is ****ing nauseating.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

As was/is the case with Obama.

I just don't know where to begin with this cluster of drivel that has been excreted from your bottom.  You think America will "cease to be a democracy" if Trump is democratically elected?  Have you any idea of where this statement lies on the absurd scale?

:interehjrling:

I think you are being a bit strong in your comment and criticism of the poster. The loss of Democracy would have happened after the last election if Trump had got his way and have people change some of the election results due to his still happening claims that the election was stolen. He is recorded while asking a Georgia State representative to just find the plus 11,000 votes needed for he to win that State.  I am a critic of Trump, so admit to bias, but I follow U.S. Politics here closely, and based on what I have seen of Trump he has shown a lifetime of doing what he has to do for success. He is a classic dictator, no loyalty, selfish and commands by a form of fear. 

13 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I think you are being a bit strong in your comment and criticism of the poster. The loss of Democracy would have happened after the last election if Trump had got his way and have people change some of the election results due to his still happening claims that the election was stolen. He is recorded while asking a Georgia State representative to just find the plus 11,000 votes needed for he to win that State.  I am a critic of Trump, so admit to bias, but I follow U.S. Politics here closely, and based on what I have seen of Trump he has shown a lifetime of doing what he has to do for success. He is a classic dictator, no loyalty, selfish and commands by a form of fear. 

What about Hilary Clinton coming out after being defeated in 2016 and demanding recounts every which way but where and calling all those that voted against her deplorables, racists, xenophobic and misogynists?

I pick you up on the use of the word "dictator" Sharpie.  I just don't see it.  All I seen throughout his entire administration was someone trying to empower a nation to own their own lives, trying to get minority groups to take accountability of their own lives, wanting the USA to be self sufficient (or as much as a global powerhouse can be) from the rest of the world and to get it's people to stop relying on the government.

That simply can't be held up with a tag of 'dictatorship'.

Edited by i8hibsh

43 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

What about Hilary Clinton coming out after being defeated in 2016 and demanding recounts every which way but where and calling all those that voted against her deplorables, racists, xenophobic and misogynists?

I pick you up on the use of the word "dictator" Sharpie.  I just don't see it.  All I seen throughout his entire administration was someone trying to empower a nation to own their own lives, trying to get minority groups to take accountability of their own lives, wanting the USA to be self sufficient (or as much as a global powerhouse can be) from the rest of the world and to get it's people to stop relying on the government.

That simply can't be held up with a tag of 'dictatorship'.

I can see we are diametrically opposite on our opinions of Trump, and I can understand that we are only part of millions who have totally different views of the man. What I find dictatorial are the reported for example of incidents where there is an appearance in the Republican Party of fear of contradicting Trump. There have been persons who for example criticised Trump for his part in the 6th January happenings. They are now spouting the exact opposite to what they said then, Ted Cruz a campaign opponent whom Trump has called he and his father liars and was extremely disparaging of both, Cruz is now an outspoken follower of Trump. It is oft stated that Trump is now the leader of the Republican Party, and any critique by a member can result in a loss of support from Trump and other members of the party, the allegation that where democracy starts right in the Party does not exist just now in that Party. Fox news particularly Hannity goes on about the demon China, North Korea, and Russia, Trump espoused on a regular basis how good those entities leaders were and how much he loved them, but as I say, I watched Trump on TV before he ever indicated a desire for political power, I am glad I never laid all my money down on his never making it, I would have lost all.  But this forum and the ability to state our opposite views are an excellent example of democracy at its peak.

Bannon on the news last night quite confident about the total outcome of all the present moves. Still comments about the election being fraudulent, and veiled comments that could lead one to ponder that there could be further actions, demonstrations etc. He is a total advocate of Trump, has a strong following on his media program, is well listened to by those who would listen to his views on action etc. Sadly sometimes legal actions provide those you may be trying to curb more opportunities to state their views.

On 05/11/2021 at 11:08, i8hibsh said:

That is quite something.

I recall Barbra Streisand saying she would leave the USA if Trump won the last time . He did . She didn’t . She’s a real virtual signaller , if ever there was one . 

Alex Jones, conspiracy nut, has been found guilty in all 4 defamation suits brought against him by families of the Sandy Hook massacre.

Jones still claims to this day that the event was staged by the "Deep State" as a way of bringing about gun controls and that the bereaved families are all actors.

Damages are to be set at a later date. 

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Alex Jones, conspiracy nut, has been found guilty in all 4 defamation suits brought against him by families of the Sandy Hook massacre.

Jones still claims to this day that the event was staged by the "Deep State" as a way of bringing about gun controls and that the bereaved families are all actors.

Scum, the misery those poor people have been put through

24 minutes ago, Cade said:

That'll be the same all powerful 'Deep State', who control everything behind the scenes, but can't get gun controls through congress.

And people still believe this deep state shite.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Kamela Harris will be President for a wee while today, as Joe is going under anaesthetic for a colonoscopy.

I'm sure the right wing will be loving this.

:jj:

On 18/11/2021 at 06:23, Cade said:

I thought he had claimed that the deranged ramble was all part of an act. This this is a character he plays. And if that's true how stupid does that make the grunts who listen to him as if he's reporting credible news? When he's claiming in court it's an act. And it probably is.

This is a rant he carried out during a BBC interview with Andrew Neil who pretty much on air to his face called him a nutcase. And who also mentioned when questioned by media later that the moment the cameras went off Jones went all quiet. Became 'normal'

I have set the clip to begin just before the end rant.

Jan. 6 panel faces double-edged sword with Alex Jones, Roger Stone

The House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol faces both risk and reward by turning to two Trump allies with a history of lying as it seeks to map out the planning and financing of the Jan. 6 rallies.

The select panel on Monday subpoenaed known conspiracy theorist and radio host Alex Jones as well as Roger Stone, a longtime confidant of former President Trump whom he pardoned a conviction on five counts of lying to Congress during the Mueller investigation, as well as witness tampering and obstruction of a proceeding.

But the committee sees both as having key information about the planning and financing of the Jan. 6 "Stop the Steal" rally near the White House, where Trump encouraged his supporters to “fight like hell.”

Stone claimed he was invited to “lead a march to the Capitol,” and while he no-showed the day of the rally, Jones did participate in the trek across the National Mall, leading rioters to a spot where a rally organizer had secured a permit to demonstrate on the Capitol grounds.

“They’ve clearly demonstrated a willingness if not a propensity to lie. Roger Stone was convicted of lying to Congress — and testifying before Congress is the exact thing they'd be asking him to do — and of course Alex Jones is a Sandy Hook conspiracy theorist and 9/11 denier.

So there is concern about their willingness to tell the truth, and there is also a strong risk that, as such public and ardent supporters of Donald Trump, these could be two more people that flout the subpoena powers of Congress, leaving the committee to decide whether to pursue a criminal referral for contempt of Congress,” said Barbara McQuade, who served as a U.S. attorney during the Obama administration.

“So why did they decide they wanted to hear from these liars in the first place?” she asked. “Even if they are liars, if you can get their text messages, emails, and other documents that might be in some way revealing.”

For Stone, the committee seems interested in connecting dots between those close to Trump and extremist groups, noting that Stone was flanked by members of the Three Percenters on Jan. 6 who served as his personal security detail, including one who has since been indicted for their involvement in the rally.

For Jones, the committee has questions both about his furtherance of Trump’s false claims of election fraud as well as his work in arranging a donation that he claims funded 80 percent of the rally where Trump spoke.

“We need to know who organized, planned, paid for and received funds related to those events, as well as what communications organizers had with officials in the White House and Congress,” Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) said in a statement as he released subpoenas for the duo along with three others tied to the rally planning.

In a Monday evening statement, Stone said he “had no advance knowledge of the events that took place at the Capitol on that day,” while Jones did not respond to request for comment.

Some warn that the two may seek to capitalize off their involvement with the committee and threaten to undermine an investigation Democrats have sought to imbue with gravity.

“They risk legitimizing Alex Jones and Roger Stone to some degree as people that have a valid role in the conversation,” said Mark Osler, a former federal prosecutor who now teaches law at the University of St. Thomas.

McQuade said the committee is already seeing that effect to a degree with Stephen Bannon, the one-time White House strategist now being prosecuted by the Department of Justice for contempt of Congress after he failed to show for a deposition or provide documents.

“In the same way that Steve Bannon is now playing the role of the martyr and his court appearances are practically performance art, I think Stone and Jones could be similar. I’m sure Stone probably would love nothing more than to enter the courthouse doing his Nixon peace signs,” she said.

But both see value in deposing them.

“They are people who exist on the sensational. You're not expecting an objective viewpoint from either one of them or a dispassionate discussion of relevant information. What I think they're after in subpoenaing them is who they had contact with. If their network were coordinating with administration and getting people to Washington, that is relevant,” Osler said, stressing the need for “controlling the witness.”

“Probably there's specific information they want to know and they’re hoping to go after that information in a surgical strike.”

McQuade said the committee may not get entirely truthful information from either man but the process will still get them on the record.

“I think the reason the committee is subpoenaing their documents and their testimony is so that the committee can confront them with the documents. It’s hard for witnesses to make things up out of whole cloth when you have their email messages or text messages,” she said.

“Even if you don't believe them when you ask questions, you're at least locking them into one version of the story under oath. That makes it difficult for them to tell a different story later to justify their behavior as more facts become known. Changing their story would require admission of lying the first time.”

Both Stone and Jones have faced recent legal battles tied to their false statements.

Stone was set to report to prison for 40 months just days before Trump commuted his sentence. He was convicted of lying under oath, withholding documents and threatening harm to another potential witness if they cooperated with investigators.

Jones is facing a defamation suit from the parents of Newtown, Conn., victims after the InfoWars host called the 2012 school shooting a “hoax.” He’s been found liable by default after failing to produce documents required in the case.

Either would be likely to face fresh charges if found to be untruthful to the committee.

“Even people that have a tendency to lie in a lot of different contexts have strong motivation not to lie under oath because it puts them at risk,” said Bruce Green, a law professor at Fordham University and a former federal prosecutor.

“I don’t know if Congress thinks that Stone has personal knowledge and information but why shouldn't they try to get it from him? Either he’ll provide truthful testimony or he won't, and if he doesn't he's at risk. Maybe he’s learned his lesson.”

Osler said he doesn’t think the committee is interested in a “perjury trap” — a tool at times wielded by prosecutors to ensnare those who might otherwise be involved in criminal activity.

“I hope that their goal in calling Jones and Stone isn't just to set them up for perjury — that they have a larger mission than that because getting Roger Stone to commit perjury is like hitting a ball off a tee. ... I’m not so cynical as to think they’re going to be satisfied for ringing up Alex Jones for lying. I do think they have their sights set higher than that,” he said.

“I think that the members of this committee see the Jan. 6 insurrection as a major historical event that will be studied in 100 years and that there's the imperative in real time to get the story of how it unfolded.”

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/583079-jan-6-panel-faces-double-edged-sword-with-alex-jones-roger-stone

Aye every other time he's been in court he's gotten off because of his argument "no reasonable person" would believe what he was saying is true.

This time, that pish didn't work and he's going to get bankrupted.

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye every other time he's been in court he's gotten off because of his argument "no reasonable person" would believe what he was saying is true.

This time, that pish didn't work and he's going to get bankrupted.

There are some on here who back him too, absolute scumbag that he is. The pain he and his arsehole followers have put grieving families through is disgusting, awful human being.

Some reports on the news today thaty Trump was diagnosed with Covid three days before he met Biden in a televised debate. Obviously nothing infectious was passed,  but the sheer carelessness and lack of respect shown were classic Trump.

The orange ape knowingly infected and exposed hundreds to the virus. Should be a lawsuit or two in there or even a criminal indictment for reckless endangerment 

Edited by JackLadd

Watching as I do regularly Fox News it is almost totally at this time a propaganda source for all Trump. He has been on interviews with Hannity, Carlson and Levin.  Hannity at least once a night refers to Bidens cognitive difficulties. Refers to the Taliban as the enemy although Trump saw fit to negotiate a Treaty with them. As did the other media outlets with Trump Fox broadcasters now referring regularly to the Democrats and Bidens lies. I will not mention any actual entities, but a lot of what is going on in the media, all of it is similar to a previous period of history. Whatever the roots and causes the whole situation does not look good for the United States. I listen to the three main ones I receive, and the one consistency is the word propaganda.

Watched Hannity again last night, again he railed on about Joes cognitive problems, the sad thing is that Joe every time he opens his mouth to speak literally does what he can to prove Hannity correct. Has anyone seen the Vice President carrying out some of her duties?, the Democratic Party in the United States are probably the largest group ascertaining the certainty that if Donald Trump decides to run again he will win. The midterms will be the barometer of electoral weather for the two parties, the winner will elect the new President in 2024. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 07/12/2021 at 07:38, JackLadd said:

The orange ape knowingly infected and exposed hundreds to the virus. Should be a lawsuit or two in there or even a criminal indictment for reckless endangerment 

😂

Or perhaps the story is fake and he never actually exposed one never mind hundreds of people. Do people still actually lose their $#!t over Trump?

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)