U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

6 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

And if Trump pardons him, the same Trump will be admitting liability.

Curiouser and curiouser......

And by doing that would surely jeopardize his impeachment defence.

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

And if Trump pardons him, the same Trump will be admitting liability.

Curiouser and curiouser......

I guess you could try to make a legal argument for this, but I don't think it would be a strong one. Pardons, by their nature, can be given out for any reason; the power rests solely with the president. There's no associated liability Trump would necessarily be admitting by pardoning anyone who was at the Capitol. We can all put two and two together in the court of public opinion but for legal purposes, there'd pretty much be nothing there.

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

That was a great speech, $2000 stimulus cheques, $15 an hour minimum wage, paid sick leave, 100m vaccines in 100 days. 
He also showed more compassion than Trump has in his whole miserable life. 

I wonder why he and the democrats didn't support Trump's suggestion of $2k stimulus cheques prior to the election. 

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I guess you could try to make a legal argument for this, but I don't think it would be a strong one. Pardons, by their nature, can be given out for any reason; the power rests solely with the president. There's no associated liability Trump would necessarily be admitting by pardoning anyone who was at the Capitol. We can all put two and two together in the court of public opinion but for legal purposes, there'd pretty much be nothing there.

Is there a minimum sentence for federal charges?

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is there a minimum sentence for federal charges?

For the crimes they're being charged with, yes.

Trump himself made an edict that there is a minimum term of ten years.

That was aimed at BLM but equally applies to his own moronic cultists.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Cade said:

For the crimes they're being charged with, yes.

Trump himself made an edict that there is a minimum term of ten years.

That was aimed at BLM but equally applies to his own moronic cultists.

Thanks for that.

John Gentleman
5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I wonder why he and the democrats didn't support Trump's suggestion of $2k stimulus cheques prior to the election. 

Emm, the $2000 was the initial figure put forward by the Democrats. It was the Republican controlled senate who reduced it to $600. Belatedly, Trump threatened a veto unless it was raised to $2000. Go figure.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-trump/democrats-want-rushed-vote-on-trumps-2000-coronavirus-aid-checks-idUKL1N2J32QC

10 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I think Presidential pardons should be limited to only cover people on death row and can not be used to pardon yourself, family members or your mates or political allies.

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Emm, the $2000 was the initial figure put forward by the Democrats. It was the Republican controlled senate who reduced it to $600. Belatedly, Trump threatened a veto unless it was raised to $2000. Go figure.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-trump/democrats-want-rushed-vote-on-trumps-2000-coronavirus-aid-checks-idUKL1N2J32QC

Fair enough. 

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

This isn't a constitutional restriction. It was codified in law following the Civil War, as the Posse Comitatus Act. But, the Insurrection Act, passed in 1807, runs alongside it and does allow for military interventions for various reasons. There has been talk that the Insurrection Act needs to be amended or repealed entirely because it allows a Commander-in-Chief in the ilk of Trump far too much abusable power.

Thank you very much, I knew there was something and it was probably when I was at Quantico.

1 minute ago, fancy a brew said:

For fans of the QAnon doctor here's another video of her, I'm not saying she's mad, but she's literally putting her underpants on her head.

To be fair......I'd put her underpants on my head. 

2 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

For fans of the QAnon doctor here's another video of her, I'm not saying she's mad, but she's literally putting her underpants on her head.

I would suggest she has an ambition to get on TV, and is intelligent enough if she really has a medical degree that nothing catches the eye of TV producers than someone who is a bit querky. If given the opportunity she would then get on spout her political views with some sense of knowledge and then slowly revert to her true personality and prove it was all an act and that she is quite intelligent. The thong thing is ridiculous, but if unworn and clean is quite a good idea if one removes the  fact of what they are and their true use. I just don't see someone I would presume is actually intelligent could be so stupid by accident

59 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I would suggest she has an ambition to get on TV, and is intelligent enough if she really has a medical degree that nothing catches the eye of TV producers than someone who is a bit querky. If given the opportunity she would then get on spout her political views with some sense of knowledge and then slowly revert to her true personality and prove it was all an act and that she is quite intelligent. The thong thing is ridiculous, but if unworn and clean is quite a good idea if one removes the  fact of what they are and their true use. I just don't see someone I would presume is actually intelligent could be so stupid by accident

Yes, you're, you're probably. Probably right. 

So, what do Nazis do for  the 20th? Go all out or stay in the shadows to cause mayhem through the next administration?The focus seems to be trained on Washington though each state capitol will have some agitators present as a show of symbolic strength.

Aggressive angry tones in DC or the use of arms? To achieve what? Any piecemeal violence would cause harm but likely only get you in prison. What a Q  - uandary

Tomorrow is expected to see more protests at every State capital and other Federal buildings across the nation.

This nonsense is far from done.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Tomorrow is expected to see more protests at every State capital and other Federal buildings across the nation.

Yeah, it looks like no one is under any illusions. 

49 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Another 5,000 National Guard drafted in.

Crikey! They've obviously had some intelligence about the heidbangers'  plans.

Trump is ordering full military honours for his departure from the White House, military band, colour guard, and twenty one gun salute. 

He may get a different welcome at his new home Mar A  Lago. Documents have turned up that show he was given a permit to build a club resort. One of the things he agreed to ,to get large tax breaks was that as a club members could only stay there for a maximum of ten days at a time. He is looking at permanent residence. 

He is the clown that just keeps on giving.

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Another 5,000 National Guard drafted in.

Apparently more security and armoured presence in DC just now than there was after 9/11. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
10 hours ago, Cade said:

Lethal force is allowed this time, though. :lol:

The blood red wave for 2022 has already begun.

And of course he pushed for $1,400 because he pushed for $600 instead of $1,200 in the first place.

Think about, even while swimming in all the corruption going on here, Tory ****ing Britain have ensured people receive furlough, have provided direct loans to small businesses, etc. £6.80 for a £30 food parcel or whatever it was? Well, try zero from the US federal government. The Democrats can't even be bothered to top up the checks they promised for people's benefit—and it'll be a shock if another one is forthcoming in less than six months.

Edited by Justin Z

9 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Crikey! They've obviously had some intelligence about the heidbangers'  plans.

Most likely most of those zoomers will have tweeted about their plans

9 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Drumpf now bedded down with My Pillow guy and Bannon planning martial law. 

Lost Control in one term. Tested the institutions. Even against an opponent who shouldn't really be a candidate at his age, they lost. Says everything about their program. Not even a pandemic gave them some forgiveness.Lost Georgia and control of both Houses. So all that is left is civil unrest based on baseless theories playing on people's emotions. 

Stop the steal became something like protect your vote. Take action! Says Bannon. Take it time for debate is over, Steve?

13th and final Federal death row prisoner killed.

No Federal executions in 17 years. 13 in two weeks as Trump murders his way out of the White House. Simply because Biden had pledged to abolish the death penalty for Federal crimes.

Despicable.

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

The blood red wave for 2022 has already begun.

And of course he pushed for $1,400 because he pushed for $600 instead of $1,200 in the first place.

Think about, even while swimming in all the corruption going on here, Tory ****ing Britain have ensured people receive furlough, have provided direct loans to small businesses, etc. £6.80 for a £30 food parcel or whatever it was? Well, try zero from the US federal government. The Democrats can't even be bothered to top up the checks they promised for people's benefit—and it'll be a shock if another one is forthcoming in less than six months.

The utterly stinking, close your eyes, throw back your head, and swallow option you poor *******s were given is now coming to light. 

Any part of you, Justin, that secretly wishes it goes absolutely ****ing tonto on the 20th, so you can just rebuild from scratch? 

Edited by Norm

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Apparently more security and armoured presence in DC just now than there was after 9/11. 

15,000 from law enforcement agencies as well.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, FanofInverness said:

I hope the USA stays peaceful. We need a peaceful USA. 

:lol:

So they can police the world.

So, the FBI, who are usually following extremists activities have an opportunity of a cull. Do they view this as a coup, for want of a better word? Some real meaty stuff. The alternative is they continue spending resources monitoring year after year this festering boil.

5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Congress staff had security alarms ripped out before the attack.

Per Stephen Colbert piece I watched

Saw that. Wasn't sure if it was reliable info. Obviously suggests an inside job, wider conspiracy. Seems far more likely than it having been spontaneous or solely based on Trump's incitement. 

3 hours ago, Norm said:

The utterly stinking, close your eyes, throw back your head, and swallow option you poor *******s were given is now coming to light.

:spoton:

3 hours ago, Norm said:

Any part of you, Justin, that secretly wishes it goes absolutely ****ing tonto on the 20th, so you can just rebuild from scratch? 

A dark part of me, yeah, but then I'm sick over the five people who died at the Capitol, including the Trump supporters. They're all victims of ***** who don't give a shit about them.

Then again, I'm also sick about the millions who continue to go without access to any healthcare, the half million annually who file “medical bankruptcy” (what an Orwellian, dystopian phrase), and the hundreds of billions that have been siphoned off the working class's collective wealth by the ultra-rich just since the pandemic started.

I honestly don't think there's an answer short of what you're hinting at, anymore. Electoralism certainly hasn't solved anything.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Congress staff had security alarms ripped out before the attack.

Per Stephen Colbert piece I watched.

I saw a piece online last night from a worker in the capitol building who said categorically the panic buttons had been disabled. 

13 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I saw a piece online last night from a worker in the capitol building who said categorically the panic buttons had been disabled. 

I think one thing we can thank Trump for is opening our eyes up to how thoroughly goosed America is in many elements of its society.  Even more than the basic southern state racism and sticking its nose into everyone else's affairs for personal gain under auspices of a fair worldwide democracy.

Fox News reporting in any great detail or still about to fraud where they have looked under every stone twice, not found anything but still giving these asses credible airtime.

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I think one thing we can thank Trump for is opening our eyes up to how thoroughly goosed America is in many elements of its society.  Even more than the basic southern state racism and sticking its nose into everyone else's affairs for personal gain under auspices of a fair worldwide democracy.

Fox News reporting in any great detail or still about to fraud where they have looked under every stone twice, not found anything but still giving these asses credible airtime.

I read imgur a lot and what strikes me is the blatant voter suppression/intimidation from the GOP - who even Americans acknowledge have been doing it for generations. And when that doesn't work ... anything , literally anything, goes. That and the blatantly corrupt politicians who nakedly make millions out of a lifetime of "service" in the capitol/senate at a high  cost to their , often, poor constituents. 

The Real Maroonblood
45 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Hopefully good will come out of evil. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)