U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You missed out watching the Seahawks get pumped off the LA (for now) Rams 😱🤣😆

The beauty of old age, some things you forget fast. Now in to hockey ardent Canucks fan, like every year I have watched them since they were formed, something else I will have to forget at the end of the season  I guess, thats why I follow Trump so diligently he makes me feel like I am a winner.

Edited by Sharpie

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

The beauty of old age, some things you forget fast. Now in to hockey ardent Canucks fan, like every year I have watched them since they were formed, something else I will have to forget at the end of the season  I guess, thats why I follow Trump so diligently he makes me feel like I am a winner.

Fair enough, I’m a 49ers fan but the treatment of Kaepernick soured it a bit for me. 
We kept that on topic rather well 😆👍🏽

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

Glad to hear PfK, I'm pretty good, just been really busy with work this week. Wondering if I've missed anything important

That's good to hear. I think most folks assumed you got lifted in the Senate last week with yer Trump pals 😋

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Watching his last days is like Downfall the movie.

As long as he doesn't make money out of Hollywood's blockbuster equivalent to Dowfall, I hope Trump is alive and in jail to watch it.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

As long as he doesn't make money out of Hollywood's blockbuster equivalent to Dowfall, I hope Trump is alive and in jail to watch it.

👍

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Would love to see The Donald end up in jail.

A bit Lex Luthor in the 70s Superman films. 

AAA37292-7269-4D10-A299-DED6FA4DF6C5.jpeg

Remember at the start if his reign. advisors everywhere saying there was a new way of engagement. We had moved on to a new style of management. 4 years later, the storming of the Capitol.

Just done a wee bit TV watching again. A person being interviewed was asked if they thought Trump would Pardon himself, and also not be convicted  at the Impeachment. His response was very similar to most of our thoughts, but he was labelled as some sort of expert. He states the Impeachment is the least of Trumps problems, he will be charged by the State of New York regarding tax breaches. Banks will close his accounts, and offer no services such as loans. He will slip into bankruptcy. I agree with these opinions he will be offered no assistance from anyone, he will have no ability to return any favors, he may opt for jail as it will provide him some hope of safety, the bleakness of his future is something I have never seen before.  It is difficult with his mental problems of narcissism, over inflated ego, mistruths, because of these problems which if he realises they are all lies will be very difficult for him to deal with, and could cause a complete mental breakdown. Sometimes in life one sees a person with whom they disagree, dislike intensely, but when major crises strike them you think ok enoughs enough, but again for me I cannot think where that limit would have to go with Trump that I would ever feel any compassion for a man who doesn't even know what it is.

Just read that. pence has just arrived at the White House, obviously hinting that he’s there to accept Trump’s resignation. I’d imagine in reality he goes there a lot and nothing to report. I remember being in Washington and Biden was leaving from a visit with Obama. Astonishing amounts of vehicles for the VP. Four massive armoured SUVs and about a dozen motorbikes. 

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Just read that. pence has just arrived at the White House, obviously hinting that he’s there to accept Trump’s resignation. I’d imagine in reality he goes there a lot and nothing to report. I remember being in Washington and Biden was leaving from a visit with Obama. Astonishing amounts of vehicles for the VP. Four massive armoured SUVs and about a dozen motorbikes. 

A resignation at this point would potentially dampen down the hostility expected around the 20th. Especially when it seems many of supporters think he can still do a 2nd term. Whether anybody has his ear is another matter

15 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Just done a wee bit TV watching again. A person being interviewed was asked if they thought Trump would Pardon himself, and also not be convicted  at the Impeachment. His response was very similar to most of our thoughts, but he was labelled as some sort of expert. He states the Impeachment is the least of Trumps problems, he will be charged by the State of New York regarding tax breaches. Banks will close his accounts, and offer no services such as loans. He will slip into bankruptcy. I agree with these opinions he will be offered no assistance from anyone, he will have no ability to return any favors, he may opt for jail as it will provide him some hope of safety, the bleakness of his future is something I have never seen before.  It is difficult with his mental problems of narcissism, over inflated ego, mistruths, because of these problems which if he realises they are all lies will be very difficult for him to deal with, and could cause a complete mental breakdown. Sometimes in life one sees a person with whom they disagree, dislike intensely, but when major crises strike them you think ok enoughs enough, but again for me I cannot think where that limit would have to go with Trump that I would ever feel any compassion for a man who doesn't even know what it is.

In addition to the legal problems you mention, I think that there's a real possibility that Trump will be sued by at least one of the families who lost a loved one in the January 6 riot. And I think they'll have a good chance of winning the case.   Getting a jury or a judge to agree with them will be considerably easier than getting 17 Republican sycophants in the Senate to convict their hero.

Marjorie Taylor Greene, the infamous Member of Congress who spouts Qanon pish, is intending to file an impeachment against Joe Biden the day after he is inagaurated on charges of corruption, claiming that he has used his position to enrich his son.

:olly:

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene, the infamous Member of Congress who spouts Qanon pish, is intending to file an impeachment against Joe Biden the day after he is inagaurated on charges of corruption, claiming that he has used his position to enrich his son.

Don't know about QAnon being in every history book, as per predicted by the doc,  but Marjorie might be.

Wonder what the doc's mood is like now? Still serene or driving along pavements?

SectionDJambo
19 minutes ago, Cade said:

So now Trumps crazy followers are thinking of impeaching Biden, to enable the succession of the first woman president of the US, who is also a person of colour. I'm fairly sure the Proud Boys and their chums will be less than enthusiastic at that prospect.

Politics in the US has gone completely off the rails since the emergence of Trump was facilitated by a sleepy American electorate. For a country who have been the self appointed bastion of fair minded democracy, they've rather quickly lost almost all credibility in international affairs. Which other country of the world, can possibly be told by the US that their democracy and system of government doesn't come up to their standards?

The Chinese, Russians, Belarusians and all the "banana republics" of South America and Africa, must be laughing their heads off.

Trump couldn't have done a better job for them.

45 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

So now Trumps crazy followers are thinking of impeaching Biden, to enable the succession of the first woman president of the US, who is also a person of colour. I'm fairly sure the Proud Boys and their chums will be less than enthusiastic at that prospect.

Politics in the US has gone completely off the rails since the emergence of Trump was facilitated by a sleepy American electorate. For a country who have been the self appointed bastion of fair minded democracy, they've rather quickly lost almost all credibility in international affairs. Which other country of the world, can possibly be told by the US that their democracy and system of government doesn't come up to their standards?

The Chinese, Russians, Belarusians and all the "banana republics" of South America and Africa, must be laughing their heads off.

Trump couldn't have done a better job for them.

Sky News interviewed J.D. Gordon (a Trump mouthpiece) this morning.

Sky Presenter - What do you have to say about the impeachment?

J.D. Gordon - When we take back control of the house we'll Impeach Biden.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

What an erse.

48 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's getting like that Peep Show episode when all the characters keep sectioning each other. 

2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Don't know about QAnon being in every history book, as per predicted by the doc,  but Marjorie might be.

Wonder what the doc's mood is like now? Still serene or driving along pavements?

Don't worry she made it safely to Washington, here she is admitting to being in the Capitol building, she posted her confession online so hopefully the Feds will be feeling her collar soon. She seems a wee bit confused about who is likely to end up in prison.

17 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Don't worry she made it safely to Washington, here she is admitting to being in the Capitol building, she posted her confession online so hopefully the Feds will be feeling her collar soon. She seems a wee bit confused about who is likely to end up in prison.

Q is me Q is you Q is being a stupid boot posting an online confession to criminality. :rofl:

1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

Other than jail time (or community service), someone is losing their medical license later in the year... :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Other than jail time (or community service), someone is losing their medical license later in the year... :facepalm:

It’s very crazy if you think about it. Doctors are in the top percentile of the population in terms of qualifications, and by association intelligence. Like the brightest person in your school would scrape into medical school type bright. Probably not the type of person not to go conspiracy obsessed, but it just goes to show. 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm guessing that this is all part of the "healing the country" and "unifying the country" approach that the Republicans in the House were urging yesterday.

31 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm guessing that this is all part of the "healing the country" and "unifying the country" approach that the Republicans in the House were urging yesterday.

Yeh it sounded like Gordon was full of peace & reconcilliation...................not.

19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh it sounded like Gordon was full of peace & reconcilliation...................not.

If Republican supporters and QAnon subscribers are enraged further by the natural repercussions that come from  storming of the state Capitol, then the problem lies wholly with them. Appeasement of the wrongdoers is not healthy

I P Knightley
30 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Psst, pal, the phrase you're looking for is “consequences culture.”

Image may contain: text that says "Justin Hill 2 hrs Today, got news that cancel culture has struck our family. A health insurance client of mine, who I provided great service to for five years, has terminated me for being in DC supporting the president. know I've lost clients in the past for my political views, but this one hurts. Cancel culture is real and no one is immune. Like Comment"

Diddums!

There's a Justin Hill who should've been a Congressman but he skipped his swearing in so he could join the riots. Same guy?

12 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

There's a Justin Hill who should've been a Congressman but he skipped his swearing in so he could join the riots. Same guy?

Not sure to be honest!

The Guy Who Flew a Confederate Flag in the Capitol Has Predictably Surrendered

[Kevin Seefried] surrendered to authorities in Wilmington, Delaware, on Thursday, along with his son, Hunter Seefried, according to the Department of Justice.

The Seefrieds were arrested after Hunter Seefried allegedly boasted about being part of the riots to a coworker, according to court documents. The unidentified co-worker then told the FBI about the younger Seefried’s involvement.

:rofl:

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Kind of. He’s a Missouri state representative (i.e. Missouri state government, not Federal). I think he just delayed his swearing in, that’s all. Like most state governments, being a representative is a part time position in Missouri.

Kalamazoo Jambo
56 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

The Guy Who Flew a Confederate Flag in the Capitol Has Predictably Surrendered

[Kevin Seefried] surrendered to authorities in Wilmington, Delaware, on Thursday, along with his son, Hunter Seefried, according to the Department of Justice.

The Seefrieds were arrested after Hunter Seefried allegedly boasted about being part of the riots to a coworker, according to court documents. The unidentified co-worker then told the FBI about the younger Seefried’s involvement.

:rofl:

:)

Apparently someone at the White House advised Trump he should resign, this apparently was replied to in a tirade of swear words,  in disagreement.

Some brief news items suggesting the FBI are getting information about weapons being more prevalent at next weeks planned protests   (riots). Something like20,000 National Guard already in DC.

Could anyone confirm or deny for me that there is something possibly in the Constitution that prohibits use of the US Army from participating in the type of things the National Guard will be doing, crowd control, arrest of Citizens, policing public disorder. It sticks in my craw from somewhere but I have no idea where it came from. It seems to me that this is why the National Guard which is a State volunteer Militia are used in these present type circumstances.

Pasquale for King

That was a great speech, $2000 stimulus cheques, $15 an hour minimum wage, paid sick leave, 100m vaccines in 100 days. 
He also showed more compassion than Trump has in his whole miserable life. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

That was a great speech, $2000 stimulus cheques, $15 an hour minimum wage, paid sick leave, 100m vaccines in 100 days. 
He also showed more compassion than Trump has in his whole miserable life. 

Yep, pretty bold. Not everything may get through the Senate but it’s a start.

I’d note that suddenly, after 4 years of completely ignoring a ballooning deficit, Republicans are going to start caring about it again.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Yon tattooed bull horns guy is throwing a wobbly in prison because he's not being served organic food

SNOWFLAKE

:gok:

I read somewhere that it was his mum who complained on his behalf. 

ToadKiller Dog

Just watched the Shamans lawyer on CNN ,totaly bizarre , he wants a pardon from Trump as he argues he was following orders from Trump .

I guess he is right . I would not be shocked to see him get one from Trump either .

The lawyer clearly has dollar signs in his eyes .

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Just watched the Shamans lawyer on CNN ,totaly bizarre , he wants a pardon from Trump as he argues he was following orders from Trump .

I guess he is right . I would not be shocked to see him get one from Trump either .

The lawyer clearly has dollar signs in his eyes .

And if Trump pardons him, the same Trump will be admitting liability.

Curiouser and curiouser......

13 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Get into politics, love. Play the long game. Only way to beat the sheep when there are !adding p!ace. What you engaged in is terrorism

9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Could anyone confirm or deny for me that there is something possibly in the Constitution that prohibits use of the US Army from participating in the type of things the National Guard will be doing, crowd control, arrest of Citizens, policing public disorder. It sticks in my craw from somewhere but I have no idea where it came from. It seems to me that this is why the National Guard which is a State volunteer Militia are used in these present type circumstances.

This isn't a constitutional restriction. It was codified in law following the Civil War, as the Posse Comitatus Act. But, the Insurrection Act, passed in 1807, runs alongside it and does allow for military interventions for various reasons. There has been talk that the Insurrection Act needs to be amended or repealed entirely because it allows a Commander-in-Chief in the ilk of Trump far too much abusable power.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)