U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Several major US corporations announced over the weekend that they are withholding donations to lawmakers who have been blamed for stoking last week's unrest at the Capitol.

Hotel chain Marriott International pledged to withhold campaign contributions from any official "who voted against certification" of Biden's November victory. The certification process was briefly halted when rioters interrupted the session last Wednesday.

After the session continued, 147 Republican lawmakers cast votes in an attempt to throw out Biden's win.

Health insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield and financial powerhouse Citibank have also said they will stop donations to the lawmakers who objected to the US democratic process.

Bank of America, Ford Motor Co and telecoms firm AT&T have said they will consider recent events when deciding which candidate to give financial backing to in the future.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Several major US corporations announced over the weekend that they are withholding donations to lawmakers who have been blamed for stoking last week's unrest at the Capitol.

Hotel chain Marriott International pledged to withhold campaign contributions from any official "who voted against certification" of Biden's November victory. The certification process was briefly halted when rioters interrupted the session last Wednesday.

After the session continued, 147 Republican lawmakers cast votes in an attempt to throw out Biden's win.

Health insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield and financial powerhouse Citibank have also said they will stop donations to the lawmakers who objected to the US democratic process.

Bank of America, Ford Motor Co and telecoms firm AT&T have said they will consider recent events when deciding which candidate to give financial backing to in the future.

👍

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Brilliant. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

R&A now confirmed no tournaments at all will be played at Turnberry, it’s been off the rota for the Open whilst he was President. A continuing blow to our economy as the Open is worth around £200m to its host country, maybe not this year if crowds are limited. 

Am I missing something?

The Open venues alternate between Scotland/England, and then recently N.Ireland with Portrush again. It's not like England get to host it twice in a row because Turnberry is off the track!

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, kila said:

Am I missing something?

The Open venues alternate between Scotland/England, and then recently N.Ireland with Portrush again. It's not like England get to host it twice in a row because Turnberry is off the track!

We get an extra one if it’s 5 Scottish venues, the others get a bigger share of them if there’s only 9 venues surely. 

Turnberry would’ve had one in 2015-20, even if another Scottish course takes that place we miss one down the line as they would get that anyway. 

So we get 4 every 9 years instead of 5 every 10. I could look out the actual venues to show it over the last 5 and next few years if you want? We won’t have one until 2022, that’s 4 years without one even accounting for Covid. I’ve never went 4 years without going to one up here since I started going in 2001.

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Article of Impeachment has been introduced in Congress.

Must mean that they know Pence won't trigger the 25th.

Great news 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We get an extra one if it’s 5 Scottish venues, the others get a bigger share of them if there’s only 9 venues surely. 

Turnberry would’ve had one in 2015-20, even if another Scottish course takes that place we miss one down the line as they would get that anyway. 

So we get 4 every 9 years instead of 5 every 10. I could look out the actual venues to show it over the last 5 and next few years if you want? We won’t have one until 2022, that’s 4 years without one even accounting for Covid. I’ve never went 4 years without going to one up here since I started going in 2001.

If Dump is forced to sell Turnberry, as bankruptcy and imprisonment will hopefully enforce, it should be able to host Opens again under its new ownership.

55 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Republicans object to House bill calling Pence to invoke 25th Amendment, forcing full House vote later in week

From CNN's Jeremy Herb, Manu Raju, Lauren Fox and Phil Mattingly

Republicans just blocked a bill introduced by House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer aimed at pushing President Trump out of office through the 25th Amendment.

Democrats on Monday sought to take up a resolution from Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland urging Vice President Mike Pence and the Cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment, but it was blocked by Republicans. 

Hoyer tried to pass the resolution Monday through unanimous consent. West Virginia Republican Rep. Alex Mooney objected to the request.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has said the Democrats will move to bring the resolution for a full floor vote on Tuesday.

The House is now adjourned until 9:00 a.m. ET tomorrow.

[From the CNN site]

New York State Bar Association opens inquiry into removing Rudy Giuliani from its membership

From CNN's Lauren del Valle

The New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) has opened an inquiry into the removal of President Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani from its membership, according to an announcement from the organization Monday.  

NYSBA received hundreds of complaints in recent months regarding Giuliani's efforts to challenge the veracity of the 2020 presidential election on the President's behalf, according to an NYSBA statement.   

"This decision is historic for NYSBA, and we have not made it lightly. We cannot stand idly by and allow those intent on rending the fabric of our democracy to go unchecked," the statement says.  

Note: The NYSBA is a voluntary bar association that cannot disbar Giuliani, so the ousting would not prevent him from representing President Trump in an impeachment trial or other pending litigation against him.  

The NYSBA sees Giuliani's role in fueling the Jan. 6 Capitol Hill violence as potential grounds for removal, according to the statement.

President Trump's personal attorney will have the option to contest his NYSBA removal, it says.  

"NYSBA’s bylaws state that “no person who advocates the overthrow of the government of the United States, or of any state, territory or possession thereof, or of any political subdivision therein, by force or other illegal means, shall be a member of the Association." Mr. Giuliani’s words quite clearly were intended to encourage Trump supporters unhappy with the election’s outcome to take matters into their own hands. Their subsequent attack on the Capitol was nothing short of an attempted coup, intended to prevent the peaceful transition of power," the statement says.  

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

But they alternate, so it wouldn't matter if Scotland only had three championship links courses we'd still host the same number of Opens. Plus it is always at St. Andrews every 5 years.

https://www.theopen.com/previous-opens

16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Latest CNN video of a Policeman being beaten up

See thats where I am totally and utterly confused, an unarmed woman gets shot , here a policeman must be in a state of fear for his life ,all the elements for use of lethal force present, being attacked by an armed mob and he is fighting them off with what looks like one of the telescopic batons. Why does he not use his firearm, totally justified, may at least give him time to escape if not at least he would take some of them with him.  They must be the worst trained,  worst led police force the world has seen.

Edited by Sharpie

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

If Dump is forced to sell Turnberry, as bankruptcy and imprisonment will hopefully enforce, it should be able to host Opens again under its new ownership.

Let’s hope so, it would good if the SG allowed an inquiry into why his businesses all make big losses to save paying tax. 

Pasquale for King

It’s not every 5 years at St Andrews it was supposed to be 2021 but it’s now 2022. With Portrush back on the rota and Turnberry off it we lost an Open 2015-20. 

48 minutes ago, redjambo said:

New York State Bar Association opens inquiry into removing Rudy Giuliani from its membership

From CNN's Lauren del Valle

The New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) has opened an inquiry into the removal of President Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani from its membership, according to an announcement from the organization Monday.  

NYSBA received hundreds of complaints in recent months regarding Giuliani's efforts to challenge the veracity of the 2020 presidential election on the President's behalf, according to an NYSBA statement.   

"This decision is historic for NYSBA, and we have not made it lightly. We cannot stand idly by and allow those intent on rending the fabric of our democracy to go unchecked," the statement says.  

Note: The NYSBA is a voluntary bar association that cannot disbar Giuliani, so the ousting would not prevent him from representing President Trump in an impeachment trial or other pending litigation against him.  

The NYSBA sees Giuliani's role in fueling the Jan. 6 Capitol Hill violence as potential grounds for removal, according to the statement.

President Trump's personal attorney will have the option to contest his NYSBA removal, it says.  

"NYSBA’s bylaws state that “no person who advocates the overthrow of the government of the United States, or of any state, territory or possession thereof, or of any political subdivision therein, by force or other illegal means, shall be a member of the Association." Mr. Giuliani’s words quite clearly were intended to encourage Trump supporters unhappy with the election’s outcome to take matters into their own hands. Their subsequent attack on the Capitol was nothing short of an attempted coup, intended to prevent the peaceful transition of power," the statement says.  

Thank goodness for that, just imagine if Giuliani was barred, Trump might have got someone competent to represent him.

24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not every 5 years at St Andrews it was supposed to be 2021 but it’s now 2022. With Portrush back on the rota and Turnberry off it we lost an Open 2015-20. 

Normally it is every 5 years at St Andrews (on the year ending in 0 or 5), but they moved it to 2021 (original date), now 2022, because it is going to be the 150th Open.

Twenty arrests made so far in connection with the attack on the Capitol.  Officials say that they expect there to be hundreds more.

I'm sure the deranged Trump will be considering pardons for all of them.  He does love them, after all. :kiss:

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

See thats where I am totally and utterly confused, an unarmed woman gets shot , here a policeman must be in a state of fear for his life ,all the elements for use of lethal force present, being attacked by an armed mob and he is fighting them off with what looks like one of the telescopic batons. Why does he not use his firearm, totally justified, may at least give him time to escape if not at least he would take some of them with him.  They must be the worst trained,  worst led police force the world has seen.

May have considered use of firearm as a death sentence for himself. Those rioters were feral, barely human. Maybe just have to hope it ended 'on!y' in a severe pummeling.

Very likely never discharged a firearm especially in anything even close to resembling that. They look like glorified security guards more suited to a desk though the bravery shown by some when ridiculously outnumbered must be recognised. It is cowards like the two heads that resigned immediately that are beyond despicable.

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Thank goodness for that, just imagine if Giuliani was barred, Trump might have got someone competent to represent him.

:spoton:

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Twenty arrests made so far in connection with the attack on the Capitol.  Officials say that they expect there to be hundreds more.

I'm sure the deranged Trump will be considering pardons for all of them.  He does love them, after all. :kiss:

Still farcical that the scum were not arrested on the day. Extraordinary day of security failure. Sinister, really. Let's bin the notion there was some oversight.

What would the Republican reaction be or the rightwing media reaction be if this was foreign instigated terrorism?

We'll smoke em out? Feel.the full force of US justice?

FBI issues warnings that various armed groups across all 50 states are planning to attack Federal buildings if Trump is removed from power.

One particular group are said to be planning to arrive in DC on the 16th.

Edited by Cade

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

FBI issues warnings that various armed groups across all 50 states are planning to attack Federal buildings if Trump is removed from power.

An internal FBI bulletin is warning state and local law enforcement that they should prepare for violence by right-wing extremists on Sunday, according to US media who've seen the document.

The FBI memo - reportedly issued a week before last week's attack on the US Capitol - identifies credible threats to the US Capitol and all 50 state capitols, from 16 January to 20 January.

A violent far-right group known as the Boogaloo is behind these organising efforts, according to the document.

It states the Boogaloo movement believes "an impending insurgency against the government is forthcoming, and some believe they should accelerate the timeline with armed, anti-government actions leading to a civil war".

Members of the movement are calling for the “storming” of state, local and federal government courthouses and administrative buildings ahead of Joe Biden's inauguration next Wednesday - and on the day itself.

Who are the Boogaloo Bois?

The FBI is currently reviewing over 40,000 digital media tips received from the public in recent days, after it appealed for help identifying rioters who joined the Capitol unrest.

Thats from the BBC

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

One particular group are said to be planning to arrive in DC on the 16th.

I wonder if America is looking at itself in the mirror, figuratively speaking? 

They have the biggest 'defense' budget in the world, greater than the next seven nations combined, yet the biggest danger to their democracy is from homegrown white supremacists, against whom all their tanks, aircraft carriers, submarines, etc., are useless.

I watched Game Change last night. It covers Sarah Palin's selection as running mate to McCain to run against Obama in 2008. I thought it must have been  a very recent film as the film felt like a very unsubtle warning about an extreme right wing populist vacuous politician with so many Trump analogies. In fact it was made in 2012.

Well worth a watch, it was on Sky Atlantic.

Forgot to add the reason I posted 🙂
I checked out her Twitter and she is promoting the conspiracy theory that they can;t be sure the people who were in the Trump mob were actually Trump supporters ... they might be antifa.

I guess by that logic most of the BLM demonstrators are probably undercover MAGA nuts 😂image.png.8b309523f9a1a1e6fbe4645f8bf02fc7.png

Edited by RobboM

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Normally it is every 5 years at St Andrews (on the year ending in 0 or 5), but they moved it to 2021 (original date), now 2022, because it is going to be the 150th Open.

Yeah I’m a golfer I know that RJ 👍🏽, love m day out at the Open, her there ASAP and leave as late as I can. Expensive experience but if I stay for 9/10 hours it costs the same as a home game. Only been to Birkdale down south. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah I’m a golfer I know that RJ 👍🏽, love m day out at the Open, her there ASAP and leave as late as I can. Expensive experience but if I stay for 9/10 hours it costs the same as a home game. Only been to Birkdale down south. 

Hopefully it won't be too long before you're standing beside the fairway watching another Open. :thumbsup:

Pasquale for King
Just now, redjambo said:

Hopefully it won't be too long before you're standing beside the fairway watching another Open. :thumbsup:

Can’t wait 😃

Washington DC Mayor Muriel Bowser is urging people to avoid coming to the city for Joe Biden's presidential inauguration on 20 January.

She says people should participate virtually instead.

At a news conference on Monday, Bowser said her goal was “to protect the District of Columbia from a repeat of the violent insurrection experienced at the Capitol and its grounds”.

In recent days, she has called for federal agencies to beef up security preparations for the ceremony. She also said President Trump must declare a pre-emergency declaration so the city can coordinate resources with the government.

Activists have also taken to social media to urge rental property owners not to list their homes in the days leading up to the event.

And 10k National Guard to be in Washington by Saturday

Edited by Captain Slog

43 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm sure they would need to be convicted first, which won't happen before the 20th.

46 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

May have considered use of firearm as a death sentence for himself. Those rioters were feral, barely human. Maybe just have to hope it ended 'on!y' in a severe pummeling.

Very likely never discharged a firearm especially in anything even close to resembling that. They look like glorified security guards more suited to a desk though the bravery shown by some when ridiculously outnumbered must be recognised. It is cowards like the two heads that resigned immediately that are beyond despicable.

I don't disagree with your sentiments at all, its just I have been in couple of situations one in particular when I actually held a gun at a mans throat, I have often mentioned on here the night at Tynecastle, a spring night quite warm    Celtic v Hearts, my patrol had just reached behind the goal at the School end when something the referee did incensed the full crowd of Celtic fans in the terracing, the screams of anger, the curses were actually frightening, and the expression of sheer hate in their faces was also terrifying, I could actually feel the heat of hundreds of expelled breaths I had nothing heroic in mind, I was going to stay until there was any visible movement towards the pitch and I had my non heroic route picked out where I was going to run to. Just me again majority of one I know, but true heroism to me is one who puts himself at risk when to help or aid someone else, not when anger is forced upon you and you face it. That I admit is just my view, and its probably stupid.

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Probably covering the back door  in case he doesn't.      I think it's a brilliant tactic by the Dems - it  puts Pence on the spot and gives him a real dilemma.   If he has ambitions to run for the Rep nomination in 2024, he has to weigh up the pros and cons of throwing Trump out - quickly.   Either way, it seems the Rep party will be seriously spilt for years to come - the moderates who've felt embarrassed by Trump, and the racist libertarian (*)  wing who see deep state conspiracy everywhere.

* Isn't it strange how these Rep  libertarians are actually authoritarian when it suits them ? 

Anyway, this is a brilliant video mashup by clever techie folk -

don't give a sh1t 

Weakened Offender

There's a lovely video doing the rounds of all the hillbilly terrorists getting dragged out their houses and off planes by the Feds to that song at the end of Goodfellas. 👌

22 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

There's a lovely video doing the rounds of all the hillbilly terrorists getting dragged out their houses and off planes by the Feds to that song at the end of Goodfellas. 👌

The Sex Pistols.

I Capitol police officer arrested another charged and fifteen under investigation for their role in the riot,  Thats been changed two suspended not arrested or charged.

Edited by Sharpie

4 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Still farcical that the scum were not arrested on the day. Extraordinary day of security failure. Sinister, really. Let's bin the notion there was some oversight.

What would the Republican reaction be or the rightwing media reaction be if this was foreign instigated terrorism?

We'll smoke em out? Feel.the full force of US justice?

For sure. Before they marched on the Capitol I watched a news clip of MAGA guys being interviewed. They were dressed like Ninjas talking about revolution and I thought back to the old days when I first followed Hearts "There's gonna be a riot"

I assume the US police have an intelligence gathering network looking at violent public order demonstrations so was surprised they never knew what was coming and had prepared for it. 

1 minute ago, Peakybunnet said:

For sure. Before they marched on the Capitol I watched a news clip of MAGA guys being interviewed. They were dressed like Ninjas talking about revolution and I thought back to the old days when I first followed Hearts "There's gonna be a riot"

I assume the US police have an intelligence gathering network looking at violent public order demonstrations so was surprised they never knew what was coming and had prepared for it. 

Don't they have problems, historically, that nobody speaks to each other? E.g FBI, CIA, Police, Mi!itary, Home Guard. Rivalries and mistrust. FBI said they had prior knowledge of what was likely to occur. Now arresting folk and studying footage but it should never have come to this.

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s the piano coda of Layla by Derek And The Dominoes. 

Ah, gotcha. Yes, very apt.

(My Way comes up on the credits)

13 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Don't they have problems, historically, that nobody speaks to each other? E.g FBI, CIA, Police, Mi!itary, Home Guard. Rivalries and mistrust. FBI said they had prior knowledge of what was likely to occur. Now arresting folk and studying footage but it should never have come to this.

I think there is some truth in what you say, but not as wide as may being suggested. policemen are as paranoid as everyone can be that certain people in their circle are spies, looking to get them and in some cases its fact. In my day the divisional plain clothes done surveillance and investigation into policemen. Usually involving beer, being obtained on duty etc. Plain clothes have always been looked on as suspicious by uniformed. Despite this I will say that when the rubber hits the road the people who will plan  create policy and implement action will all get together and agree on the policies. The F.B.I are the information collectors, I see reports that the information was passed and shared with the necessary departments. I don't know if the Capitol Police were involved directly if they were they certainly did not act on the intelligence they received. The current actions involving the Capitol Police may even indicate even more sinister motives, an inaction was deliberate for undeclared reasons at the moment. Watching the news just a few minutes ago is disturbing, NYPD are investigating numbers of their members who participated in the riot, Seattle has already taken actions against members, it seems to be widespread, I personally am quite disturbed at what I am reading, as an old polis it is disgusting, as an old man it is shattering to see the people we depend on joining forces with the people who would seek to destroy our way of life, and the sanctity of our Rights.  I so looked forward to2021 being a year of positives after the negative 2020, but it seems it is starting with another so far unidentifiedfully disease.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

You’re probably right about the different agencies.

Sadly I would imagine it happens in most countries.

14 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

An internal FBI bulletin is warning state and local law enforcement that they should prepare for violence by right-wing extremists on Sunday, according to US media who've seen the document.

The FBI memo - reportedly issued a week before last week's attack on the US Capitol - identifies credible threats to the US Capitol and all 50 state capitols, from 16 January to 20 January.

A violent far-right group known as the Boogaloo is behind these organising efforts, according to the document.

It states the Boogaloo movement believes "an impending insurgency against the government is forthcoming, and some believe they should accelerate the timeline with armed, anti-government actions leading to a civil war".

Members of the movement are calling for the “storming” of state, local and federal government courthouses and administrative buildings ahead of Joe Biden's inauguration next Wednesday - and on the day itself.

Who are the Boogaloo Bois?

The FBI is currently reviewing over 40,000 digital media tips received from the public in recent days, after it appealed for help identifying rioters who joined the Capitol unrest.

Thats from the BBC

Begs the question in my mind. If the FBI have this Intel, why dont they arrest the ringleaders now? Prevention being better than cure.

Or do they prefer to wait until there is possibly several dead bodies on the steps of all 50 state Capitol buildings and again on the Capitol building in Washington DC itself.

Amateur doesnt even come close to describing US law enforcement.

7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Begs the question in my mind. If the FBI have this Intel, why dont they arrest the ringleaders now? Prevention being better than cure.

Or do they prefer to wait until there is possibly several dead bodies on the steps of all 50 state Capitol buildings and again on the Capitol building in Washington DC itself.

Amateur doesnt even come close to describing US law enforcement.

If it was BLM or Antifa they would be raiding houses as we speak with shoot to kill orders.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)