U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Far right groups to hold pro-Trump protest in Washington

A pro-Trump rally planned for Washington DC this weekend could bring violence to the nation's capital, according to experts on extremism.

The Proud Boys, the group that Trump refused to condemn in his first debate and who have a reputation for street fights with their opponents, are planning to host the event despite not having a permit from local authorities.

Members of the Oath Keepers and Three Percenters militias have also said they will be attending, as have white nationalists and proponents of conspiracy theories.

Pizzagate conspiracy proponent Alex Jones is reportedly leading a caravan from Texas and plans to bring a "battle tank".

Police in Washington have warned attendees of the rally, dubbed variously the "Million MAGA March”, the “Stop the Steal” protest and the “March for Trump”, to leave guns at home or risk arrest.

Experts say the groups could clash with counter-protesters outside the White House. This comes just days after businesses in Washington, and in cities around the US, began removing plywood barricades that were put up in the event of election-related unrest.

No chance this could go wrong....

Edited by Lovecraft

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kalamazoo Jambo

Have been under the weather and largely off Kickback for most of the week. All I can say is what a continuing danger to democracy Trump poses, even though his attempts to stop President-Elect Biden are doomed to fail eventually.

Once a grifter, always a grifter ( and not of the Raleigh variety!). Trump and family are just con artists, plain and simple. Having been here a couple of years, I continue to be amazed that people buy this nonsense, but then I'm not when I see his supporters interviewed.

Kalamazoo Jambo
On 10/11/2020 at 12:10, CavySlaveJambo said:

What I get is why such a pro-life country has life being sacrosanct until your born. And after that... it's not. 

Most Americans think abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/public-opinion-on-abortion/

I do agree with your broader point though.

9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Trump was reputed when in business to introduce spurious legal challenges involving deals.  As in this case many if not most were adjudged not valid. . This meant no winner no loser except as has also been alleged in the past the lawyers representing Trump where it was suggested they were not paid. He has run the Presidency and the current loss the way he ran his real estate business and his TV show. Lawyers and You're Fired. So sad that even now his close enablers are trying to subvert the wishes of the people. the question I hear a lot on news broadcasts is why are so many afraid of him. Does he have dirt on them, is he owe them money that they hope to get back by supporting him, are they just dishonest people who admire, foolishly, his apparent success by duplicity, lies and total lack of decency, throughout history millions have been sacrificed due to fear of a despot. In my own time, Hitler, Stalin,Mao, Jomo Kenyatta, and others smaller, an old Scots saying seemed to be theres none dafter than people. My effort at quoting to suit my purpose.

Always admire your posts sir, i dont post much myself, but i have admired your wisdom for years

3 hours ago, Boof said:

Has Rudy Giuliani always been such a complete and utter *****?

He for me really only came into high focus after 911, but I have to say that what he is showing now almost from my brief following of him seems out of character

For a fan base who were on the receiving end of a blatent stitch up, with dodgy voting coalitions, re-writing the rules before the votes, media bias for decades, constantly twisting the narrative to make us the bad guys, the fact they've made up new rules to punish us for speaking up...doesn't it sound a bit familiar to what's been happening in the US for the last few years?

Edited by FoH forever
Spelling.

3 hours ago, Boof said:

I actually admired him when i watched 911, its so sad what he is descending to become.  Borat was the last straw.

1 hour ago, FoH forever said:

For a fan base who were on the receiving end of a blatent stitch up, with dodgy voting coalitions, re-writing the rules before the votes, media bias for decades, constantly twisting the narrative to make us the bad guys, the fact they've made up new rules to punish us for speaking up...doesn't it sound a bit familiar to what's been happening in the US for the last few years?

Em, no ... I think ... maybe.  Say that again.

1 hour ago, FoH forever said:

8ubGFLt.gif

Kalamazoo Jambo

Not that it was really in doubt for the last couple of days, but CNN and NBC have finally called Arizona for Biden (Fox News, AP and Decision Desk HQ had already called it).

Gonna end up 306 - 232.

John Gentleman
On 12/11/2020 at 04:05, Malinga the Swinga said:

I also read the biggest and bestest president ever attended armistice service. All very good and proper. He then said he tirelessly worked and supported veterans. Well other than calling those who died in service losers, slandering John McCain over unblemished service record, and refusing to lay wreath a year back cause it was raining, I guess. 

What a ***** of a man. 

Had to laugh when I noticed that the raindrops simply 'bounced' off his 'hair'. Must've sprayed it with WD-40 or Scotchguard. Maybe both.

Nae wonder Melania beds herself in a separate room.

The Department of Homeland Security have announce there was no election fraud. In fact further than that they said that the 2020 election was the "most secure in American history".

Whoever heads it will be the next one to be fired. He's also rumoured to be looking to fire the head of the CIA. Purportedly something to do do with the investigation into collusion with Russia in 2016.

And some encouraging news. It's expected that Biden and Harris will form a "presidential crimes" inquiry. The net may be closing on the orange one.

US election security officials reject Trump's fraud claims

Edited by JFK-1

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The Department of Homeland Security have announce there was no election fraud. In fact further than that they said that the 2020 election was the "most secure in American history".

Whoever heads it will be the next one to be fired. He's also rumoured to be looking to fire the head of the CIA. Purportedly something to do do with the investigation into collusion with Russia in 2016.

And some encouraging news. It's expected that Biden and Harris will form a "presidential crimes" inquiry. The net may be closing on the orange one.

US election security officials reject Trump's fraud claims

Brilliant 🙂
Here's Trump's government clearing up all his concerns over voter fraud at the election pretty comprehensively

https://www.cisa.gov/rumorcontrol

Republicans are wrong. Trump has no ‘right’ to cause this chaos

Don't listen to lying Republicans, like Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), who say President Trump "has every right to look into allegations" in an attempt to overturn the election. This is nonsense.

Trump has no "right" to file frivolous lawsuits in bad faith and demand recounts that have no chance of changing the outcome. He has no "right" to make wild claims of fraud without presenting a shred of credible evidence. He has no "right" to delay and disrupt the most important performative act in our democracy — the peaceful and orderly transfer of power. But he does have a duty to his country, and, like with so many other obligations, Trump is neglecting it to the point of abuse.

Joe Biden and Kamala D. Harris won an election that was not all that close, and GOP quislings McConnell, Sen. Ted Cruz (Tex.) and Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.) know it. They know this is nothing like the cliffhanger of 2000, which hinged on a few hundred votes in a single state. Trump is trying — or pretending to try — to somehow change or nullify hundreds of thousands of votes in at least six states. 

In Pennsylvania, Michigan and Nevada, attorneys pressing Trump's "election fraud" lawsuits have basically been laughed out of court. In Georgia and Wisconsin, election officials confidently predict recounts will not erase Biden's five-figure leads. In Arizona, where some news organizations still decline to call the race, the Republican attorney general says he believes Trump — trailing by more than 11,000 votes — is "very, highly unlikely" to triumph there, either.  

As Republican eminence grise Karl Rove wrote in the Wall Street Journal, "the president's efforts are unlikely to move a single state from Mr. Biden's column, and certainly they're not enough to change the final outcome." But he made this acknowledgment only after first quoting McConnell's nonsense about Trump being "within his rights" to make specious legal challenges. That's not good enough.

All Republican officials should immediately do what a scant few, such as Sen. Mitt Romney (Utah), have done: Congratulate President-elect Biden and wish him well, just as Democrats congratulated Trump in 2016.

Some Republicans have reportedly said privately that they are just giving Trump time to "process" his loss. Do they think he's a child? Is he really so emotionally immature? He has had plenty of setbacks in his life — multiple bankruptcies, two divorces. He knew he was likely to lose this election and had plenty of time to prepare his tender ego for the blow.

More likely, McConnell and the rest are more concerned about the bruised feelings of Trump's millions of voters. Republicans are looking ahead to the Jan. 5 runoffs in Georgia that will determine control of the Senate. Republicans believe they need Trump's base to prevail — and fear that if they don't indulge his fantasy of having won an election he clearly lost, Trump could be indifferent or even hostile regarding the two crucial Senate contests.

Potential contenders for the GOP presidential nomination in 2024 — among them Cruz, Sen. Tom Cotton (Ark.), Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.) — have even more reason to avoid crossing Trump and angering his most passionate supporters. That is probably why Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, an ambitious man, made his dangerous and appalling wisecrack about "a smooth transition to a second Trump administration."

It is wrong to write off such cynicism as "just politics." This is the one moment in the life of our democracy when we pretend politics don't exist, when we act as if the tribal identities "Democrat" and "Republican" are made insignificant by our common identity as Americans. The aftermath of a presidential election is a ritual, a set-piece in which everyone plays an assigned role, and it is vitally important. 

The loser congratulates the winner. The winner finds something nice to say about the loser. The president invites the winner and their spouse to the White House for a chat. A transition begins — the handoff not just of power but also of legitimacy.

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama did all of this, and more, for Trump in 2016. He refuses to do the same for Biden, breaking a tradition that goes back to 1801 when John Adams handed power and legitimacy to his bitter political enemy, Thomas Jefferson.

The symbolism of a graceful concession is more important than the nuts and bolts of the handoff, especially for a president-elect with Biden's vast experience, though especially in this pandemic, the nuts and bolts do matter. The Biblical book of Hebrews defines faith as "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Trump is petulantly weakening a divided nation's faith in its hoped-for and unseen foundational ideals — and of all the terrible things this awful man has done to our country, this could be the worst.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/republicans-are-lying-trump-has-no-right-to-the-chaos-hes-causing/2020/11/12/c7fb376c-251d-11eb-8672-c281c7a2c96e_story.html

Edited by JFK-1

10 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I agree with your comment about an attempted coup.  He will almost certainly fail with his court challenges and other attempts to get the election results negated.  Only his cult members believe the nonsense he has been spouting for the past week.

However, why was il Duce in such a rush to appoint cult members to key positions in the Pentagon?  Can he genuinely be considering using the military to help him stay in power if the legal options fail?

Trump is sick in the head, as has become abundantly clear to every reasonable observer, so he's capable of trying anything, and I hope that the Americans are ready. 

For the past 5 years more like.

9 hours ago, Boof said:

Oh yeah!! Check him out Boof. Married his cousin then claimed they didn’t know they were related. Let’s not leave it there...ended his second marriage with a press interview! His wife was there and had no idea. He also can’t wear air pods correctly. 

6E129D9A-0738-42FA-8711-4F11E142F98C.jpeg

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, Cade said:

Charge him with treason, send him to Guantanamo.

It would take an age to build compelling evidence for a charge to stick.

Just go for the extraodinary rendition (if that's the right phrase) and waterboard the bloated **** for weeks on end. Not to get any truth out of him; just to make him cry. For good measure, rather than using water, use the urine of Moscow prostitutes.

10 hours ago, Pagey said:

Once a grifter, always a grifter ( and not of the Raleigh variety!). Trump and family are just con artists, plain and simple. Having been here a couple of years, I continue to be amazed that people buy this nonsense, but then I'm not when I see his supporters interviewed.

Which part of NC are you in Pagey?

I've spent some time visiting Raleigh/Durham for work and, based on the locals I've come across in work, taxi drivers, hotels, restaurants and bars, I'm surprised that it's a Republican state. They all (give or take) seem very reasonable and aware.

7 hours ago, Sharpie said:

He for me really only came into high focus after 911, but I have to say that what he is showing now almost from my brief following of him seems out of character

He got results in NYC for reducing crime rates but I don't think his methods bear much scrutiny. He was in the right place at the wrong time for 9/11 and in the longer aftermath managed to create momentum for this idea that he's the "Mayor of America".

That said, I've never seen him speaking without thinking what a nasty, creepy wee man he is. And that's before he sticks his hand down his boxer shorts for a teenage journalist.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

REPUBLICAN official destroys ALL of Trump’s fraud claims ON FOX NEWS

Yip, this guy Al Schmidt has been consistant throughout the entire process that there has been no widespread voter fraud in Penn.

I first seen him being interviewed by Sky News during the count when officials came out to talk to the media and then invited the media into the counting room to observe what was going on, in an effort of transparency, this was when Sky News talked to Republican observers inside the counting room, you know the very same observers Trump & his cult says weren't allowed in at the count.

8 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Not that it was really in doubt for the last couple of days, but CNN and NBC have finally called Arizona for Biden (Fox News, AP and Decision Desk HQ had already called it).

Gonna end up 306 - 232.

Only three presidents in US history have earned more Electoral College votes than Biden.  And when you consider that Biden will beat Trump in the popular vote by over 5 million, one can only conclude that Trump got a good old-fashioned whuppin'.  :clubbed:

And richly deserved.  :toasting:

The point I was trying to make is back when we were challenging the demotion, we were going to be the end of Scottish football, can't go to court, should take the result as it was then six months later we're saying time for these clubs to "take their medicine", it's a similar position to what's going on with the current situation. 

The bit about them making us the bad guy's wasn't clear but remember since Romanov called the media/SPL corrupt, they introduced new methods of fines to punish Hearts, or even the fact that in the resolutions from the summer was to give the SPFL the ability to call the leagues at any point. 

It's the idea that people accept the news so easily if it fits with their own views, rather than actually look at the sources and make an objective decision for themselves. 

As for "are we the bad guys?" gif, isn't that the point of the sketch? 

47 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Only three presidents in US history have earned more Electoral College votes than Biden.  And when you consider that Biden will beat Trump in the popular vote by over 5 million, one can only conclude that Trump got a good old-fashioned whuppin'.  :clubbed:

And richly deserved.  :toasting:

Well that must mean that Trump is not only a big bairn but he's also now a big loser.

38 minutes ago, FoH forever said:

The point I was trying to make is back when we were challenging the demotion, we were going to be the end of Scottish football, can't go to court, should take the result as it was then six months later we're saying time for these clubs to "take their medicine", it's a similar position to what's going on with the current situation. 

The bit about them making us the bad guy's wasn't clear but remember since Romanov called the media/SPL corrupt, they introduced new methods of fines to punish Hearts, or even the fact that in the resolutions from the summer was to give the SPFL the ability to call the leagues at any point. 

It's the idea that people accept the news so easily if it fits with their own views, rather than actually look at the sources and make an objective decision for themselves. 

As for "are we the bad guys?" gif, isn't that the point of the sketch? 

OK but as Freud said "sometimes a dick joke is just a dick joke"
Trump the motormouth bully was ALWAYS going to allege fraud. He has the full armoury of government, FBI, CIA, at his disposal, he called for thousands of poll watchers, deployed tens of thousands of count observers, employed an army of lawyers to litigate every possible avenue  .... and there's nothing there. If he had said "Aliens landed and cheated the vote", Republican leaders would have stil have said he was within his right to say that and, until it was comprehensively proved oherwise, perfectly reasonable to allege.
I'm pretty sure we ain't the bad guys 😉

Edited by RobboM

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/13/law-firm-drops-trump-campaign-436418

Porter Wright lawyers Ronald Hicks and Carolyn McGee — who work out of the firm’s Pittsburgh office — said the campaign was “in the process of retaining and causing other counsel” to take over the case.

The attorneys said they and the campaign had agreed on the withdrawal, but Hicks and McGee were vague about the reason for their exit.

“Plaintiffs and Porter Wright have reached a mutual agreement that Plaintiffs will be best served if Porter Wright withdraws, and current co-counsel and such other counsel as Plaintiffs may choose to engage represent Plaintiffs in this case,” the filing said.

9 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

The same stable that said isn't it good how we built the castle so close to Waverley train station?

Oh gawd, an American pal just explained to me it was Trump that said this, nothing surprises me about him now.

https://time.com/5620936/donald-trump-revolutionary-war-airports/

Edited by Captain Slog

30 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

"The same stable genius said the biggest problem we had in the revolutionary war, is we didn't have enough airports."

It's a dig at Trump.

People just hear what they wanna hear.

I understood him fine.

8 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Just go for the extraodinary rendition (if that's the right phrase) and waterboard the bloated **** for weeks on end. Not to get any truth out of him; just to make him cry. For good measure, rather than using water, use the urine of Moscow prostitutes.

The problem is he'd enjoy that, wouldn't he...???   :jjockio:

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

"The same stable genius said the biggest problem we had in the revolutionary war, is we didn't have enough airports."

It's a dig at Trump.

People just hear what they wanna hear.

I understood him fine.

Same, although people may have been misled by the captions running under the video.

Me ears are alight! (for you oldies out there)

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Same, although people may have been misled by the captions running under the video.

Good old Desmond.

11 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It’s the usual “take it out of context” mob. It’s quite telling that people who don’t live in America can get that reference better than those who live there.

10 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

It’s the usual “take it out of context” mob. It’s quite telling that people who don’t live in America can get that reference better than those who live there.

Probably because we listen to that without prejudice, whilst in America their prejudice makes them hear what they want to hear.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Probably because we listen to that without prejudice, whilst in America their prejudice makes them hear what they want to hear.

Really well put. 👏

9 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I've spent some time visiting Raleigh/Durham for work and, based on the locals I've come across in work, taxi drivers, hotels, restaurants and bars, I'm surprised that it's a Republican state. They all (give or take) seem very reasonable and aware.

Stick my nose back in for a day (mostly to see the Scotland madness) and here's a question I can answer.

Durham (where I'm back to living now, thank Christ) is the most Democratic part of the state. Biden won 80%+ of the vote here. Raleigh isn't quite as skewed but it's solidly Democratic. Almost all of the cities are pretty staunchly Democratic.

The Democrats lost NC because they lost the rural areas by huge margins. Some of this is unavoidable but the campaigns with big dollars (like that useless bag of garbage Cal Cunningham) completely failed to do any effective campaigning in those areas. Democrats need to listen to people like AOC -- it's not just policy, the standard Democratic form of campaigning is pathetic and sclerotic.

Anyway this wretched storm is finally almost over and we get to the work of cleaning up the enormous mess left behind. Have to hope the Georgia Senate seats somehow come through or else the cynical powermonger McConnell will block up everything simply out of spite.

45 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Stick my nose back in for a day (mostly to see the Scotland madness) and here's a question I can answer.

Durham (where I'm back to living now, thank Christ) is the most Democratic part of the state. Biden won 80%+ of the vote here. Raleigh isn't quite as skewed but it's solidly Democratic. Almost all of the cities are pretty staunchly Democratic.

The Democrats lost NC because they lost the rural areas by huge margins. Some of this is unavoidable but the campaigns with big dollars (like that useless bag of garbage Cal Cunningham) completely failed to do any effective campaigning in those areas. Democrats need to listen to people like AOC -- it's not just policy, the standard Democratic form of campaigning is pathetic and sclerotic.

Anyway this wretched storm is finally almost over and we get to the work of cleaning up the enormous mess left behind. Have to hope the Georgia Senate seats somehow come through or else the cynical powermonger McConnell will block up everything simply out of spite.

@Ugly American It's good to see you posting again.  :thumb:

Kalamazoo Jambo
47 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Good to hear from you again! It’s been a while :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

It would take an age to build compelling evidence for a charge to stick.

He got results in NYC for reducing crime rates but I don't think his methods bear much scrutiny. He was in the right place at the wrong time for 9/11 and in the longer aftermath managed to create momentum for this idea that he's the "Mayor of America".

That said, I've never seen him speaking without thinking what a nasty, creepy wee man he is. And that's before he sticks his hand down his boxer shorts for a teenage journalist.

That’s where I am, RTP area - really surprising how the R gets their votes, can only assume its the rural areas. 

7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Only three presidents in US history have earned more Electoral College votes than Biden. 

I hate to ask, but are you sure that's the case?

13 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I hate to ask, but are you sure that's the case?

I read that someplace, and I quoted it without doing an independent check.  :facepalm:

Let me have a look.

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

I read that someplace, and I quoted it without doing an independent check.  :facepalm:

Let me have a look.

Biden got the highest ever total votes by a considerable margin. The previous record was Obama in 2012 with 65,915,795 total votes. Biden currently has an estimated 78 million and still counting. 

Trumpy "doing a Cummings" by being  late for his press conference.  Probably decided to fire a few of his staff first 🙄

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)