U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Watching the losing orange buffoon having a complete mental meltdown in the coming days/weeks/months is going to be quite delightful, and this is only the start, the best is yet to come.

Meh. Obviously happy to indulge in a bit of schadenfreude but the next few months are likely to be a complete shitshow with tens of thousands unnecessarily dying of COVID-19 and a reasonable chance of political violence (OK, terrorism) by QAnon lunatics / white supremacists or similar. Too many people still follow Trump’s words, and those parroted by his acolytes.

A disturbingly few high-level Republicans have called Biden what he is: President-Elect. Romney, Murkowski, G W Bush, and a few governors and house reps are the exceptions that I know of. This isn’t the way to start a peaceful transition of power.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Meh. Obviously happy to indulge in a bit of schadenfreude but the next few months are likely to be a complete shitshow with tens of thousands unnecessarily dying of COVID-19 and a reasonable chance of political violence (OK, terrorism) by QAnon lunatics / white supremacists or similar. Too many people still follow Trump’s words, and those parroted by his acolytes.

A disturbingly few high-level Republicans have called Biden what he is: President-Elect. Romney, Murkowski, G W Bush, and a few governors and house reps are the exceptions that I know of. This isn’t the way to start a peaceful transition of power.

I had very little time at all for Bush Jnr., but he went up in my estimation just a little bit due to the good grace with which he accepted and acknowledged Obama's victory, and his apparent full cooperation in the handover of power. (Of course, there may well have been plenty of murky goings-on behind the scenes and maybe it wasn't as all as amiable as it appeared from the outside...)

Just now, Auld Reekin' said:

I had very little time at all for Bush Jnr., but he went up in my estimation just a little bit due to the good grace with which he accepted and acknowledged Obama's victory, and his apparent full cooperation in the handover of power. (Of course, there may well have been plenty of murky goings-on behind the scenes and maybe it wasn't as all as amiable as it appeared from the outside...)

Obama's team were very complimentary of the way in which Bush's team handled the hand over. He's still a war criminal that should be locked up but, I think we can give him and his team credit for making the transition as smooth as possible.

1 minute ago, Stokesy said:

Obama's team were very complimentary of the way in which Bush's team handled the hand over. He's still a war criminal that should be locked up but, I think we can give him and his team credit for making the transition as smooth as possible.

Yep, him and his best buddy TB.

6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Some of the crazies have turned on Fox News after they called Arizona for Biden, even heard Fox News being called (correctly imo) the 'fake news media' by Trump supporters.

You have to remember, the mob is fickle.

Thickle should be a word

Kalamazoo Jambo
22 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

George W was of course terrible, and here he fulfilled what should be a most basic norm. Trump won’t even be able to do that. Biden will just have to carry on regardless - and his transition team is already working.

7 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

George W was of course terrible, and here he fulfilled what should be a most basic norm. Trump won’t even be able to do that. Biden will just have to carry on regardless - and his transition team is already working.

:icon14:

1 hour ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Which unfortunately will most likely happen whether Trump goes into meltdown or not.

Give it time, as I can honestly see the Republican party heirarchy increasingly sidelining Trump over the next couple of months, I can't see them wanting to be associated with Trump's craziness any longer, not now that he's no longer of any real use to them.  They will be looking to the next election and to continue to support Trump could see them out of power for a decade or more.

Now I know Trump got 70 million votes, however how many of them were for Trump as opposed to the Republican party.

Either side could put forward an animated cartoon character and they'd still get millions of votes.

Kalamazoo Jambo

In another classic example of Trumpian bullshit, his campaign’s communications director points out that the Washington Times called Al Gore as the winner of the 2000 Presidential race, as an example of media getting their calls wrong. Only problem is - that never actually happened...

AD8A4430-B291-4264-9F52-1C7E68420F7D.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Good analysis there KJ. 👍  Once the Dem victory celebrations have quietened down a bit, the nutjob Trumpets may feel emboldened to proclaim their   "ownership" of the White House and surrounding area - a smallish  Rep counter demo today included at least 1  guy in camo gear with an intimidating weapon.  Assuming nothing comes of the legal challenges to some vote counts, where on the spectrum do you think Trump's final 11 weeks are likely to fall ?

a)  Co-operate with Biden's transition team  behind the scenes while continuing the tantrump  tweet nonsense (for consumption by the nutjob wing of his supporters)

b)  Refuse to co-operate with Biden's team and feverishly pick policies to force through via exec orders (to the delight of the nutjob wing of his supporters)

c)  Turn his anger on WH staff, Rep politicians & his campaign team for failing to get him re-elected - basically his version of the Hitler bunker finale (to the delight of the  nutjob wing of his supporters).       

Meanwhile, a little bit more clever celebration  ☺️ -

https://www.facebook.com/39171898761/videos/1266387523739149/

The more I read the more I feel that Trump will end up in jail. Sadly, a loose attitude to the law seems to be a feature of Western democracies at the moment. 

22 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

His niece, psychologist Dr Mary Trump is always a good read/listen although it's very obvious she has an axe to grind with him.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/mary-trump-on-the-end-of-uncle-donald-all-he-has-now-is-breaking-things

She is saying a lot of things I've said above, I firmly believe the Republican party will distance themselves from him now.

55 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

His niece, psychologist Dr Mary Trump is always a good read/listen although it's very obvious she has an axe to grind with him.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/mary-trump-on-the-end-of-uncle-donald-all-he-has-now-is-breaking-things

Quite a damning analysis of the "very stable genius" temperament by his niece, which doesn't bode well for the next 11 weeks.     And this piece spells out the extent of the deep do-do he's likely to face after January -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/03/donald-trump-fear-lose-election-prosecution

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

In fairness,  he wasn't wrong.  It's an utterly mental way to run an election!

It is but 

:pleasing:

A Boy Named Crow
7 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

The Trump crime family are all going to jail hence the extreme meltdowns.

This is what we've been hearing for a long time now, I suppose it's time for folk like the State of New York etc to get the finger out...

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

The Trump crime family are all going to jail hence the extreme meltdowns.

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

This is what we've been hearing for a long time now, I suppose it's time for folk like the State of New York etc to get the finger out...

Ooft, I'm not telling the mods what to do, but if the above transpires, we could rename the thread (again) to 

Trump - doing time 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

an animated cartoon character

Pretty accurate description of Trump.

Is Joe Biden, the only political voice to back Britain over the Falklands, now an anti British terrorist supporter. 

7 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

And now for some balance

What country is his then, if not the USA. 

And

14 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

And now for some balance

And

Longer version. 

14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He was born in Damascus and is a British citizen.

Regarding your video, in the exact same way Biden's “I'm Irish” quip doesn't make him an IRA sympathiser, nor does his strategic opposition to Reagan and Thatcher's coddling of South Africa make him some sort of racial justice hero.

Opposing apartheid is a bare minimum and does not make you non-racist by default, especially when you enthusiastically hawked for a war that has killed a million brown people, and as Richard said, “never met a war he didn't like.”

Highly recommend you retract your reverse version of Seymour's asinine take.

7 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

He was born in Damascus and is a British citizen.

Regarding your video, in the exact same way Biden's “I'm Irish” quip doesn't make him an IRA sympathiser, nor does his strategic opposition to Reagan and Thatcher's coddling of South Africa make him some sort of racial justice hero.

Opposing apartheid is a bare minimum and does not make you non-racist by default, especially when you enthusiastically hawked for a war that has killed a million brown people, and as Richard said, “never met a war he didn't like.”

Highly recommend you retract your reverse version of Seymour's asinine take.

Sorry, I don't do things just because you say so. But you could retract your head from your own arse, it will set you free. 

jack D and coke

You can’t be unhappy Trump is gone. I can’t take to that Biden gadgey though I’m not that sure what it is. Maybe it’s the media shaping my opinion. I suppose in a few years we can all make proper conclusions. 
It just feels like an old political dynasty has taken back control. Lifetime politicians are wrong uns imo. 

The Real Maroonblood
35 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You can’t be unhappy Trump is gone. I can’t take to that Biden gadgey though I’m not that sure what it is. Maybe it’s the media shaping my opinion. I suppose in a few years we can all make proper conclusions. 
It just feels like an old political dynasty has taken back control. Lifetime politicians are wrong uns imo. 

That’s probably where I’m at.

It’s just a relief that Trump is toast.

41 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

In systems like the US and UK, yeah, almost universally. Being a self-serving, sociopathic ***** serves you. There are exceptions, but it's the easy way to do well in politics in such places.

In systems properly in place to benefit the people of nations, I'd wager this is not the case nearly as much. Sure, there will always be grifters, but even still. They're not set up to churn out dregs.

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s probably where I’m at.

It’s just a relief that Trump is toast.

And tbh that's where I am too. But the fight for justice in the States—and for folk affected by American imperialism around the world—is just beginning. Ousting Dump was step one of about seven million.

Edited by Justin Z

3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

My take on it is this.

The American public (as are most other people) were fed up with politicians and tried something different, tried to break the mould and elected a non-politician, someone outwith the establishment, even someone who wasn't afraid to say what many ordinary citizens thought, however it's just a pity they elected someone like Donald Trump, imo you could not get someone more unsuited to the job than Trump was.

IMO Donald Trump's legacy, is that he has ensured that the political establishment is now secure, for the foreseeable future.

After the cluster-fest of the last 4 years, I can not see the American public taking that chance again by electing someone not from the political establishment, certainly not for a generation or two.

13 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Fake news! Trump and Salmond were best mates before they fell out over his golf resort.

Ah, I didn't realise Scotland = Alex Salmond. Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Fake news! Trump and Salmond were best mates before they fell out over his golf resort.

I don't know anything about the golf course, but I can understand what you are saying, I don't think Trump knows what a mate is, he has people around him some who he for a time treats better than others but when the don't fully support him, or are no longer of use to him he dumps them, on some occasions in fact on frequent occasions people who were adjudged as friends he will later deny even knowing them, e.g. Epstein.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)