U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

I know. I am not up to doing links. But I saw and heard what I quoted.

Am I deluded or lying?

Usually both.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Biden’s first lesson as president. Never make a lighthearted joke at a press conference. 

It wasn't a press conference. More an off the cuff remark so perhaps more revealing.

It wasn't a press conference. More an off the cuff remark so perhaps more revealing.

I think you’re maybe reading too much into this. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve said “er, Scottish actually” as a jokey comment. 

Probably less so, in fact.  If he said something like that at a press conference you'd have more reason to be concerned.

The Biden campaign has made it clear that on one issue which is a cause of tension between Ireland and the UK, the President-elect's view is very close to that of the Irish Government.  The same goes for the Democratic leadership in the House, and in fact a substantial proportion of the Republican membership of the House.

On other significant strategic matters, the President-elect will be seeking to ensure a smoother relationship between the US and the UK.  He will also be trying to do likewise with France.

3 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I found it funny that you took the "day" off work to follow this, then ended up getting pished and fell asleep. 

?

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

It wasn't a press conference. More an off the cuff remark so perhaps more revealing.

Oirish nationalist. :(

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

FA trying to get a feel for what his contrarian schtick will be for the next four years. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Just now, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Aaaargh, edit, not quote!

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I have not been enthusiastic about Biden throughout  the election,but have to concede he beat Trump which was a blessing for man.  I just finished watching his  speech, and I have to say I enjoyed it, he was not suggesting anyone would build a wall and pay for it, he actually repeated a lot he has said before. He spoke well, strongly but not aggressively, but what has really in  way endeared me to him now was his family, they seemed so normal, and loving. He spoke highly of his wife and how she helped  and supported him, I can relate to that, I had the good fortune to have similar, To gain true success in your ambitions, I is a term you will never have to use, because the support  and sacrifice of a good woman brings out the term we, and I see that in Bidens relationship and his loving family. It was nice to hear a man mention God who it seems has lived according to his way, and does not just use him as a prop to encourage followers. He has faced and handled some of lifes most taunting  challenges death of his first wife and a young child, death of a son, and yet he has pushed on. I am glad I watched the celebration, it has given me a more positive and optimistic view of Biden, my original was I would have supported the election of my next door neighbours dog and neither of us is  even American as long as it  helped oust the untruthful sinner, adulterous, stranger to the truth that was in the position. Work hard President Elect Biden, stay honest, and you will have my support such as it is.

21 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I have not been enthusiastic about Biden throughout  the election,but have to concede he beat Trump which was a blessing for man.  I just finished watching his  speech, and I have to say I enjoyed it, he was not suggesting anyone would build a wall and pay for it, he actually repeated a lot he has said before. He spoke well, strongly but not aggressively, but what has really in  way endeared me to him now was his family, they seemed so normal, and loving. He spoke highly of his wife and how she helped  and supported him, I can relate to that, I had the good fortune to have similar, To gain true success in your ambitions, I is a term you will never have to use, because the support  and sacrifice of a good woman brings out the term we, and I see that in Bidens relationship and his loving family. It was nice to hear a man mention God who it seems has lived according to his way, and does not just use him as a prop to encourage followers. He has faced and handled some of lifes most taunting  challenges death of his first wife and a young child, death of a son, and yet he has pushed on. I am glad I watched the celebration, it has given me a more positive and optimistic view of Biden, my original was I would have supported the election of my next door neighbours dog and neither of us is  even American as long as it  helped oust the untruthful sinner, adulterous, stranger to the truth that was in the position. Work hard President Elect Biden, stay honest, and you will have my support such as it is.

I haven't been enthusiastic either, to be honest.  I'd have preferred to see a more energetic and braver candidate and campaign.  But his centrist strategy paid off, and he won.  Most importantly, the United States of America needs a President who is loyal to the United States and to its best interests, and a lot of the rest of the world needs it too.  Biden is that; his opponent isn't.

I know it's an old political cliché that you campaign in poetry and govern in prose.  But when a candidate actually campaigns in poetry, and in poetry that means a lot to you, that's a powerful thing to see.

Beir bua agus beannacht, Joe Biden.

4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

The Republican party nominee got 70 million votes.  If Donald Trump sets up his own party he'll find out precisely how popular he is compared to the party that nominated him.  That will be a far more painful experience for him than losing this election.

It's an interesting point.  In the election the Republicans in general did better than Trump personally, so you might well be right. But if starting up his own party results in a more painful experience for him, I'm all for it.

30 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's an interesting point.  In the election the Republicans in general did better than Trump personally, so you might well be right. But if starting up his own party results in a more painful experience for him, I'm all for it.

Its going to be plenty painful for him now, he's made enemy upon enemy for the last 4 years and no one's been able to touch him as sitting president.

Quite looking forward to seeing him on the news going forward now. 

5 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

Is that what infuriated FA so much, he had to hurry here and be his usual self. 

It's a wee bit of humour. 

Mac_fae_Gillie

Just watch Biden's speech, can't help but notice he is suffering from the Trump tanlines.. USA really needs better fake tan.

So Trump will make a fortune out of his cultists. He'll probably start a religion. 

I just hope Biden is under top notch security as one of Trump's followers will no doubt try to take him out. They're too far gone, now. 

Edited by ri Alban

3 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

FA trying to get a feel for what his contrarian schtick will be for the next four years. 

Exactly, I can't understand anyone entertaining him. He finds what the majority view is on any subject then jumps in with the opposite view. Doesn't matter how daft the opposite view is; if it means an argument he is there. Had him on ignore for ages but now I actually enjoy reading his laughable posts. 

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Tazio said:

I think you’re maybe reading too much into this. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve said “er, Scottish actually” as a jokey comment. 

By the extension of kickback logic does that make you a terrorist sympathiser? 

49 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Just watch Biden's speech, can't help but notice he is suffering from the Trump tanlines.. USA really needs better fake tan.

Hes 77 and putting on fake tan, oh well,

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

By the extension of kickback logic does that make you a terrorist sympathiser? 

It does.

:seething:

I was thinking Trump might try to start some TV channel sort of Alex Jones style where he can continue the crazy.  Might get millions of the devoted cultists to pay a monthly subscription say.

But then again that would require some work on his part. The likes of Jones though crazy does actually work at the crazy broadcasting for hours.

I don't think Trump has either the dedication nor the ability to do that. And I have never understood how these people are captivated by him.

He has absolutely zero interest or  even a shred of entertainment value for me. I can barely listen to him for a minute without thinking don't I have some wet paint around here I could go watch dry instead.

6 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

:spoton:

So ****ing boring. 

2 minutes ago, King prawn said:

DC60DEBD-0444-4DD4-9C7D-60B9C452278D.jpeg.c4f465588a83937828f6a60a87a184d9.jpeg

A fitting way for it to end. 4 tweets it took him before he finally got the location right!

The hotel had to tweet out saying that it definitely wasn't there.

6 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I hope Biden continues in that vein for the next 4 years. 

Edited by Boy Daniel

5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Which begs the question, does Trump need the republicans more than they need him?  I think he’s now waking up to the realisation that the answer is yes, when for so long he had convinced them it was no. 

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

Biden’s first lesson as president. Never make a lighthearted joke at a press conference. 

Far better to dismiss war dead as losers, then mock people with disabilities. 

Much more agreeable than a lighthearted joke apparently 🤔

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Far better to dismiss war dead as losers, then mock people with disabilities. 

Much more agreeable than a lighthearted joke apparently 🤔

Sad but true.

The Good Friday Agreement is an internationally recognised, UN-registered, legally binding peace treaty.

Too many people forget this.

The USA is one of the guarantors of that treaty.

They will uphold and enforce, if necessary, the terms of the treaty.

No sneaking out of it for the British.

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

Yep.

Cos the gammons will go full in snowflake.

As ever.

13 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

@Sharpie That was an excellent post 

Unless you are a medical professional who is involved in that persons medical care directly you should not be making judgements on people’s state of health.  

Anyway as someone with a communication disorder I can tell you it is easy to Mix up words because you are trying to explain things but your

mind is going far faster than you can get them out.  

In the interest of fairness, lots and lots of folk have been doing the same thing throughout this thread about the Donald. 

17 minutes ago, Cade said:

The Good Friday Agreement is an internationally recognised, UN-registered, legally binding peace treaty.

Candyman, Candyman, Candyman, Candyman, Candyman

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Cade said:

And so they should. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)