U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Didn't Trump say that Mexico had trade deficit with the US and this (somehow) would pay for the wall?

Or was it tax imports and subsidize exports?

More info here.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/yes-trump-can-make-mexico-pay-for-the-border-wall-heres-how/2017/01/17/7edf7872-dcbf-11e6-ad42-f3375f271c9c_story.html?utm_term=.8bce7f6b11c3

I don't get this - US corporations like HP have long since shifted manufacturing to Mexico and E Europe. It isn't Mexico etc that will pay , it will be the companies that binned their US workforce and exported jobs en masse. But presumably there is a plan to ease the burden on the likes of HP else I couldn't see why their CEO would support Strumpf. 

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interestingly, my in-laws live on Cape Cod. Most of the South American seasonal/low paid workers there are Brazilian. I always wondered why. The fishing/marine life perhaps.

Interesting indeed.

A few years back, many touristy places I visited in the US were full of Brazilians splashing the cash. Changed days all round...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38753000

Speaking to ABC News, Mr Trump said he wanted to "keep our country safe".

"When they're shooting, when they're chopping off the heads of our people and other people, when they're chopping off the heads of people because they happen to be a Christian in the Middle East, when Isis (IS) is doing things that nobody has ever heard of since Medieval times, would I feel strongly about waterboarding?" he asked.

"I have spoken with people at the highest level of intelligence and I asked them the question 'Does it work? Does torture work?' and the answer was 'Yes, absolutely'.

Does he have a point?  I think he does in some ways

Edited by Jambo_in_Hamilton

Seymour M Hersh

I just wonder who is gonna deliver his burrito bowls if there are no Mexicans allowed over the border.

I think there's already plenty enough in the US to supply burrito bowls (if required).  Is there a difference between building a fence or a wall? Curious because back in 2006 the was legislation passed to build hundreds of miles of fencing along the southern border which won the support of a certain NY Senator named Hilary Clinton.

Let's say for arguments sake a wall is built. Will it be by Mexican or American bricklayers? It will be quite a job creation scheme.

Let's say for arguments sake a wall is built. Will it be by Mexican or American bricklayers? It will be quite a job creation scheme.

According to Penn and Teller one of the companies involved in building the existing fence was fined for using illegal immigrant labour.

Seymour M Hersh

That's part of it's genius John. Build the Wall was a cornerstone policy as was big infrastructure projects to get Americans working. Hey presto a 2fer! 

Indeed. Public sector job creation by a different name. All in the name of pandering to anti-immigration fears.

Could be a pretty successful endeavor for Trump and his popularity, regardless of who "pays" for it.

It'll be interesting. The US government doesn't own all the land and can't even build on some of it (flood plains and rivers which must remain unencumbered).

It also seems like a largely pointless expense. The whole thing can't possibly be manned, so there will still be ways over, under or through - tactics will just change.

The fact that people are astonished that the person they elected to lead them has started doing what he said he would, probably says a lot for why he was elected in the first place

All roads lead to Gorgie

Am I right to assume the staff in The Trump Hotels and the other businesses in the esteemed leaders portfolio are all Guid American lads and lassies then ?

Not to mention those building the wall !

Aye right !

Francis Albert

The fact that people are astonished that the person they elected to lead them has started doing what he said he would, probably says a lot for why he was elected in the first place

Has anyone who voted for him complained that he seems to be trying to do what he said he would?

Francis Albert

Todays prize for hypocrisy. After decades (indeed centuries) in which the UK has cosied up to (indeed often helped into or to remain in power) despots, tyrants and torturers all over the world JK Rowling, Ed Milliband, Vince Cable and others are busy tweeting that May will be judged on her relationship with Trump and warning her to distance herself from the Trump regime.

Are many people astonished by this?

Craig Gordons Gloves

The transcript of his interview yesterday with ABC news shows a few things, 1 he's a liar, 2 he's blatant about lying and 3 he get's his facts from Fox News.  Oh, and don't forget, he has a big heart. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/transcript-abc-news-anchor-david-muir-interviews-president/story?id=45047602

Why are you giving your opinion and stating it as fact?

First part opinion.

Second part the factual basis for my opinion.

That, was a hard read.

Maybe it was more coherent when you watch it.

Did you see him with the inauguration picture. :facepalm: ffs

The transcript of his interview yesterday with ABC news shows a few things, 1 he's a liar, 2 he's blatant about lying and 3 he get's his facts from Fox News.  Oh, and don't forget, he has a big heart. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/transcript-abc-news-anchor-david-muir-interviews-president/story?id=45047602

Facts from Fox News, more likely he got them from Sean Hannity?

alwaysthereinspirit

Facts from Fox News, more likely he got them from Sean Hannity?

Hope Hannity is around for the full 8 years. This thread will be a classic.

An astute investor will be buying stocks in companies that make tunnelling equipment.

Also giant catapults, wire snips and hang gliders. How's ACME stock performing?

Hope Hannity is around for the full 8 years. This thread will be a classic.

8 years?  I thought it was a 4 year term in office before having to have another election, or are you that certain he'd get re-elected even this early into his presidency?

Mexican president has cancelled his planned meeting with Trump, after a spat with the Trump administration over who was going to pay for the wall.

Less than a week in and the first (of many?) diplomatic rows involving Trump.

Mexican president has cancelled his planned meeting with Trump, after a spat with the Trump administration over who was going to pay for the wall.

Less than a week in and the first (of many?) diplomatic rows involving Trump.

trouble is he, and his supporters, will love this. All they care about is good ol USA and stuff the rest of the World (well apart from  Israel of course) 

The entire top of the State Department has just resigned on mass. :rofl:

Who's going to meet and greet Maggie May the morn? :lol:

He's just said that'll it'll be him talking trade with May tomorrow, OMG, that'll be another diplomatic row then.

He's also just said 'Clean Beautiful Coal' and that he'll get the American coal workers back working again.

Francis Albert

The entire top of the State Department has just resigned on mass. :rofl:

Who's going to meet and greet Maggie May the morn? :lol:

Acoording to CNN (no pal of Trump) four senior people have resigned at the request of the incoming administration. This is not uncommon in the States where a new administration clears out swathes of the old ones officials and civil servants - it's not like the UK where civil Servants jobs are secure whoever is in power.

alwaysthereinspirit

trouble is he, and his supporters, will love this. All they care about is good ol USA and stuff the rest of the World (well apart from  Israel of course) 

Not exactly 100% fact but it meets most of this threads narrative.

Space Mackerel

He's just said that'll it'll be him talking trade with May tomorrow, OMG, that'll be another diplomatic row then.

He's also just said 'Clean Beautiful Coal' and that he'll get the American coal workers back working again.

I saw that up to about 6.40pm and had to nip out.

I can see his thinking, all superpowers have been powered by fossil fuels in the past and current.

The guys still a deranged idiot though.

Space Mackerel

Acoording to CNN (no pal of Trump) four senior people have resigned at the request of the incoming administration. This is not uncommon in the States where a new administration clears out swathes of the old ones officials and civil servants - it's not like the UK where civil Servants jobs are secure whoever is in power.

That'll be the rest of the US rich corporate elite getting hoyed into place then I guess.

alwaysthereinspirit

8 years?  I thought it was a 4 year term in office before having to have another election, or are you that certain he'd get re-elected even this early into his presidency?

He signed an executive order this morning. Changing term limits for newly elected US Presidents elected on or after November 8 2016. Which works out perfect for him as he falls right in that time frame. Talk about timing.

Craig Gordons Gloves

He signed an executive order this morning. Changing term limits for newly elected US Presidents elected on or after November 8 2016. Which works out perfect for him as he falls right in that time frame. Talk about timing.

Bugger....

maroonlegions

I've been wondering if people at the EPA and the climate scientists at NASA might walk...

The new world order coming in many disguises, when scientific individuals at NASA raise concerns its time to take notice maybe.

extra_large-1485442072-cover-image.jpg

Science is under attack. The dark forces of anti-intellectualism have taken power, and one by one, various federal research agencies are being silenced, ba
IFLSCIENCE.COM

This man is a real danger to the world, he is a fecking lunatic.

Peer-reviewed publications should not require government review and approval. Science is not partisan. #ScienceMarchhttps://twitter.com/AP/status/824374557893083146 ?

Edited by maroonlegions

:arf:

Border wall to be paid for via import tax- up to 20% of value of imports from Mexico being mooted.

Not quite sure that will result in "Mexico paying" for the wall. More like lots of Americans paying an extra nickel for an avocado for the next few years...

Space Mackerel

Border wall to be paid for via import tax- up to 20% of value of imports from Mexico being mooted.

Not quite sure that will result in "Mexico paying" for the wall. More like lots of Americans paying an extra nickel for an avocado for the next few years...

A lot of robots getting their P45's for digging coal out the ground too?

Even Monktonhall,Dalkeith and surrounding areas have seen the light.

A lot of robots getting their P45's for digging coal out the ground too?

Even Monktonhall,Dalkeith and surrounding areas have seen the light.

The idea that Trump will save the US coal industry is laughable.

Thunderstruck

After making a song and dance about voter fraud, it turns out Trump's own daughter Tiffany is registered to vote in two states, as is Steve Bannon & Steve Mnuchin.

No one is saying they have done anything wrong, but it's a bit of an own goal Trump insinuating that the reason Clinton got more votes than he did was by voter fraud, including voters being registered in two states, when his own daughter and two of his own team are amongst the very voter fraud criteria that's he's making such a fuss about.

Multiple registration isn't normally illegal but voting twice in the same election will be.

Space Mackerel

The idea that Trump will save the US coal industry is laughable.

In the words of Trump, everything and everyone is "tremendous" :lol: Coal workers, car workers, steel workers, all his appointees etc etc

I'm sure he 'll have his radio show in 6 months.

Thunderstruck

In the words of Trump, everything and everyone is "tremendous" :lol: Coal workers, car workers, steel workers, all his appointees etc etc

Salmond and Farage have managed that so why not the Third Stooge.

Space Mackerel

Salmond and Farage have managed that so why not the Third Stooge.

You're comparing a movement for independence for Scotland that started way back in the 30's to the knee jerk reaction of Brexit and Trump over the last few months, ok then. You need to study a wee bit of history pal.

An elected politician seemingly fulfilling his campaign pledges? Whatever next.

I have never really understood the moral outrage over the wall. How is it different from the already extensive stretches of high barbed wire topped fences along long stretches of the border. Or the US border patrols in 4X4s tracking down, chasing and arresting illegal immigrants who get across the border? In other words how in principle does it differ from the border controls of the Obama and preceding regimes. What am I missing?

If it wasn't for the fact he is an absolute fruitloop it would be something to celebrate.

As it is it just makes the world an even more dangerous place.

Thunderstruck

You're comparing a movement for independence for Scotland that started way back in the 30's to the knee jerk reaction of Brexit and Trump over the last few months, ok then. You need to study a wee bit of history pal.

All three of them have skilfully played the Greed and Grievance Cards that have chimed with credulous sections of the electorate. You can see that in Trump and Farage but not in Salmond (or his wee Stooge keeping his seat warm for him) so who's the fool.

Space Mackerel

All three of them have skilfully played the Greed and Grievance Cards that have chimed with credulous sections of the electorate. You can see that in Trump and Farage but not in Salmond (or his wee Stooge keeping his seat warm for him) so who's the fool.

What is your point Thunder?

What you're saying is that Brexit and Trump have piggied back of a proper social democratic movement but didn't have a clue what their social and democratic movement was about?

Post the Tories Brexit White Paper please? The media and the public want to know your plans. :lol:

The Real Maroonblood

I hope that is his next job in 6 months.

Space Mackerel

I hope that is his next job in 6 months.

There's a lot of mixed up working class who don't know left from right and as wee jakey says, up from down.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)