U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So what exactly do you think Pelosi and the Democrats are trying to do with their "for the people" act and the attempt to make DC a state? 

I would say they are trying to do what Trump did convince the people that their aim, is to do for the people, I honestly don't recall a political leader who did not pledge that and did so with some dubiety.

Edited by Sharpie

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trump again interviewed last night by Judge Judy on Fox. She asked him when he was going to the Border, he stated quite clearly in the next two weeks. He then stated he was being asked by Border and Ice Agents to go there. In a later answer he stated the Guards had asked him to go as they needed leadership. He went on about in his usual rambling that the wall was new and perfect , and not as claimed by some renovations. He stated it was a new wall and in places was done to replace old wall, is that not what a renovation is. Judge Judy when he got going obviously had been directed when he started to speak on his old woes would butt in and ask for a date of his visit, he never gave one. Again he went in to a tirade  about rapists, murderers , coyotes, drug traffickers, and when he did she fulfilled her duties by butting in again asking for a date, the interview finished with the question again when  he stated he would be going in a few weeks. So was the two weeks a lie or just an old mans memory lapse.

I was   interested in one wee thing, Hannity has been going on about Bidens fumbling with words indicating his advanced years. I still don't know what the word Trump was trying to say was but he started with textology, someone must have nudged him and I think he may have been trying to say technology, but again added an x in there and gave up trying.  

I am sure someone will question my criticising Trump and not Biden, I'll have to think who that might be. Biden is/was not my top choice, but really just about anyone would be better than Trump.

Reports vary on whether shots were fired or not.

Suspect in custody.

So he's probably white if he lived long enough to be arrested.

Tv film of the National Guard moving in towards the Capitol, it starts to look an awful lot like Paris in 1940, hard to believe it was the Land of my dreams as a boy, teen and early adult. I tried so hard to get to the States and if I had succeeded would have joined the Marines and would have ended up in Vietnam. I m glad now I didn't get in, I would hate to have been a war veteran watching my same military having to guard the Capitol against fellow Americans. So sad, an I personally blame one man.

17 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I personally blame one man.

To be fair this pish has been going on for decades.
Donald Trump was a symptom, not the disease nor the cause of the disease.

Far right attitudes and racism are deeply entrenched in the USA and always has been, since before they were even one nation.

It's a systemic problem.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Tv film of the National Guard moving in towards the Capitol, it starts to look an awful lot like Paris in 1940, hard to believe it was the Land of my dreams as a boy, teen and early adult. I tried so hard to get to the States and if I had succeeded would have joined the Marines and would have ended up in Vietnam. I m glad now I didn't get in, I would hate to have been a war veteran watching my same military having to guard the Capitol against fellow Americans. So sad, an I personally blame one man.

Pelosi then. Not a man (although who knows what Pelosi identifies as) but the one responsible for all the National Guard still being there. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

3 hours ago, Cade said:

To be fair this pish has been going on for decades.
Donald Trump was a symptom, not the disease nor the cause of the disease.

Far right attitudes and racism are deeply entrenched in the USA and always has been, since before they were even one nation.

It's a systemic problem.

Fair enough but I have watched the USA for a number of years and I don't recall at any time a President who and I watched him do it  incite an insurrection and as is his wont told them he would be walking with them and didn't. I watched him make one of his rousing cries and commented even before the 6 th January thing right on this forum predicted the possibility of damage ,injury and even death, I have never done that before. Yes the USA has had its problems KKK, but never to my knowledge has the very soul of the Capitol ever been attacked with fatalities as it was again today. I watched and listened to Trump give his they were not an angry mob spiel, I watched a Capitol policeman jammed between a door and a wall and the crowd pushing and pushing, not hugging and kissing as that terrible man just suggested. I watched and sympathised to some extent Vietnam rallies, and protests against forced enlistment in the military, I had a father who lived in bitterness about being drafted to WW1 and spending two years in French trenches,  I although didn't need to go.

because I wanted to would have been forced into the military also at eighteen, but them was the apples in that day. If you are a Citizen of a Country that states it is all powerful and go along with it, live in expectation that some day you may have to be one of the combatants to prove it. 

If you as Trump was are in the position to constantly lie about being defeated in an election  making inflamatory public comments to his staunch believers, to wit his base then watch out those believers will and do take violent actions.   

Yes the United States had a Civil War, based on what we would  call racism now, it was justified although bitter and brutal to provide freedom for one segment of society who there use was seen only as slaves. But it was a war, north v south and was fought by armies, not people who use the right to protest to act in the call of the President of the United States to act against their elected government. One person and one person alone was instrumental in that action Donald J Trump, a man who is/was totally unsuited for many reasons to be given the opportunity to serve in the office he did and continues as a former President to prove what he is.

Donald Trump is not a far rightist, he is not a political beast, he is an individualist who was given the opportunity  to lead, and used it to try and further his own selfish ambitions.

Edited by Sharpie

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Pelosi then. Not a man (although who knows what Pelosi identifies as) but the one responsible for all the National Guard still being there. 

The National Guard are still there because law enforcement and security officials believed there would be further actions, thats why fences were built and other physical security actions taken. When did Pelosi or Biden ever beseech anyone to attack the Capitol, I don't recall, I really have to state I am sorry you have such loyalty to Trump, I have seen unending loyalty to a leader e.g Nasser in Egypt that I disagreed with but could well understand, his interests being for his Country and his people, I have never seen anything even remotely being used in Donald Trumps actions that would show loyalty to his people and Country, his loyalty is in one direction to or for him.

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

The National Guard are still there because law enforcement and security officials believed there would be further actions, thats why fences were built and other physical security actions taken. When did Pelosi or Biden ever beseech anyone to attack the Capitol, I don't recall, I really have to state I am sorry you have such loyalty to Trump, I have seen unending loyalty to a leader e.g Nasser in Egypt that I disagreed with but could well understand, his interests being for his Country and his people, I have never seen anything even remotely being used in Donald Trumps actions that would show loyalty to his people and Country, his loyalty is in one direction to or for him.

There were no further actions though but still Pelosi demanded they stay. Much to the anger of the various State Governors.  I'm not loyal to Trump ffs what are you rabbiting on about, I can't stand him but this Democrat cabal could be even worse for the US than he ever was. 

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

There were no further actions though but still Pelosi demanded they stay. Much to the anger of the various State Governors.  I'm not loyal to Trump ffs what are you rabbiting on about, I can't stand him but this Democrat cabal could be even worse for the US than he ever was. 

I apologise if I offended you so severely that you had to reply so aggressively, my comment about one man being responsible you saw fit to highlight was because Trump has been seen by myself and others as so positive towards protest actions. Some of the fence was removed it is reported at the request of Republican members, as was the increase in traffic. It didn't take long for a mentally disturbed individual to attack the Capitol causing again the death of a police officer. I can assure you I will try not to be rabbiting in a manner that distresses you so deeply .

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I apologise if I offended you so severely that you had to reply so aggressively, my comment about one man being responsible you saw fit to highlight was because Trump has been seen by myself and others as so positive towards protest actions. Some of the fence was removed it is reported at the request of Republican members, as was the increase in traffic. It didn't take long for a mentally disturbed individual to attack the Capitol causing again the death of a police officer. I can assure you I will try not to be rabbiting in a manner that distresses you so deeply .

Wow!

I'm in not in any way offended by your response. However you seemed to infer in your initial post this individual did what he did on the back of being a Trump supporter which he clearly was not. You even said you blamed one man for it.  He clearly had mental health issues that his but was a supporter of the Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan not Trump. Your rabbiting doesn't distress me so please continue your nonsense. Do you get all your information from MSNBC after they identified the assailant as a "white male"? 

19 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Wow!

I'm in not in any way offended by your response. However you seemed to infer in your initial post this individual did what he did on the back of being a Trump supporter which he clearly was not. You even said you blamed one man for it.  He clearly had mental health issues that his but was a supporter of the Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan not Trump. Your rabbiting doesn't distress me so please continue your nonsense. Do you get all your information from MSNBC after they identified the assailant as a "white male"? 

So you win, you have come on and berated me on the internet, so I am justifiably totally terrorised that you have given me an internet beating, so be it, I have taken a few beatings verbal and physical, but usually in person. I will accept your statements in the manner they were given. It is indeed kind of you to give permission for me to continue my rabbiting and nonsense, so I will continue to do so as you have so kindly offered, have a nice day. I know I will.

Seymour M Hersh
8 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

So you win, you have come on and berated me on the internet, so I am justifiably totally terrorised that you have given me an internet beating, so be it, I have taken a few beatings verbal and physical, but usually in person. I will accept your statements in the manner they were given. It is indeed kind of you to give permission for me to continue my rabbiting and nonsense, so I will continue to do so as you have so kindly offered, have a nice day. I know I will.

Oh behave. 

Blames government for his employment situation so attacks the seat of Government, the Capitol, where decisions are made. There are suggestions of mental problems, sadly it has led to two deaths. Whatever the cause the toll of two lives is too high. 

Jeffros Furios
11 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

image.png.02b179d50f35ddc19a859c34067e9e92.png

Cheers Joe.

Well I never ! Imagine my shock at this news :jj_facepalm:

Bidens policy on Immigration has been horrific, it hasn't helped when Harris who has been delegated as the person responsible for Immigration makes jokes and laughs  about not visiting the Border. Hannity on Fox is campaigning nightly for the Republican opposition, calling Biden a liar, mocking his signs of age, which unfortunately for Biden do show. The whole U.S.A. political scene has become a farce. Ineptitude, contradiction by both parties of their particular views in the past, scandal,  Rick Gaetz now enmeshed in an investigation started by the Trump Attorney General, concerning money, , misuse of funds,  under age sex, so bad that Carlson who interviewed him on Fox said it was the strangest interview he had ever done. Later Gaetz commented that he had been on the Carlson show, Carlson told him never to use his name again. Neither party comes out with any credit, both selected as their contender the worst candidate they could. It is sad to watch.

We are all on this Forum initially because of our love for a Scottish football team. If ever there has been a matter where excellent selections for leaders have proved successful, and the opposite equally eventful, thats difficult to watch but in the world scene not a critical ailment, however the United States of America at this time as a result of their leadership selections could well end up relegated.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Bidens policy on Immigration has been horrific, it hasn't helped when Harris who has been delegated as the person responsible for Immigration makes jokes and laughs  about not visiting the Border. Hannity on Fox is campaigning nightly for the Republican opposition, calling Biden a liar, mocking his signs of age, which unfortunately for Biden do show. The whole U.S.A. political scene has become a farce. Ineptitude, contradiction by both parties of their particular views in the past, scandal,  Rick Gaetz now enmeshed in an investigation started by the Trump Attorney General, concerning money, , misuse of funds,  under age sex, so bad that Carlson who interviewed him on Fox said it was the strangest interview he had ever done. Later Gaetz commented that he had been on the Carlson show, Carlson told him never to use his name again. Neither party comes out with any credit, both selected as their contender the worst candidate they could. It is sad to watch.

We are all on this Forum initially because of our love for a Scottish football team. If ever there has been a matter where excellent selections for leaders have proved successful, and the opposite equally eventful, thats difficult to watch but in the world scene not a critical ailment, however the United States of America at this time as a result of their leadership selections could well end up relegated.

That doesn’t make good reading.

Basket case country.

Jeffros Furios

I'm watching Kamala Harris talk about gun crime,  its a serious issue and she's smiling away like a wee bairn .

Now Joe I've done nowt in 50 years is about to speak. 

2 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I'm watching Kamala Harris talk about gun crime,  its a serious issue and she's smiling away like a wee bairn .

Gave not a bad presentation, but implementation is something else, made a couple of good points, one that if you go to a shop that sells firearms you have to have a check done, but if you go to a gun show you can buy what you like with no type of checks at all. My problem with Biden he has numerous ideas that he proposes that I think such as gun laws are a good start, then the process advances and it appears they have done little or no due diligence on what to expect on implementation. We have all had great ideas within our own scope, but the wife, the kids or your pals would say thats great but don't look to me for help, or the wife pointing out I wasn't using her money ( she had adopted the plan that the money was hers and I was afraid to argue) and the pals made sure they were not giving their time. Due diligence saved me time and money. Just look at his plans for Immigration, if you can find them let me know. The main purpose seemed to be to do what Trump wasn't doing. Now he has reportedly thousand of particularly kids they don't know what to do with and more on their way. Saw a recent report that he was considering completing Trump's wall. As I have said and still say I find Joe a nice well intentioned old man, but thats what he is, so am I ,absent the nice, but I screw up plenty.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I wonder who is coming up with all these policies because it surely isn't Irish Joe himself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Arizona begins its THIRD audit of the election results.

All 2.1 million votes in Maricopa county will be hand counted.

Again.

:olly::silviodamn:

Edited by Cade

Jeffros Furios

Is it asking too much for our media to stop calling him President Biden and give him his proper title ? 

Putin is Russian President , Macron French Presiden but we call Biden just 'President Biden'

Very annoying :vangry:

7 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Is it asking too much for our media to stop calling him President Biden and give him his proper title ? 

Putin is Russian President , Macron French Presiden but we call Biden just 'President Biden'

Very annoying :vangry:

They call the English FA, the FA, anaw. :raging:

Anyway, time the UK media concentrated on Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish news. Far too much America news on our screens. 

One other thing, it's good not having to listen to that prick Trump anymore. And the thread title should be changed to Biden, only. Imo. 

Edited by ri Alban

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Anyway, time the UK media concentrated on Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish news. Far too much America news on our screens. 

One other thing, it's good not having to listen to that prick Trump anymore. And the thread title should be changed to Biden, only. Imo. 

I think you'll find that 'the' in many instances means English. RFU another example. And as for calling Twickers ,HQ, that can just get tae ...

8 hours ago, inspector said:

I think you'll find that 'the' in many instances means English. RFU another example. And as for calling Twickers ,HQ, that can just get tae ...

:Agree:

Jeffros Furios

I see man of the people Old Joe gave a glowing tribute at a funeral . . Problem is the guy was a well known own Klansman .

A Boy Named Crow
On 23/04/2021 at 15:09, ri Alban said:

My understanding is this came about because the FA was set up to be the global body, like FIFA is now. Problems  arose when the Scottish clubs told them to GTF. From then on, national associations were the go, but the English, as is their wont, decided not to fall in line.

but aye, to the earlier point, calling the president of the United States of America just the president, outside of his own country is maddening.

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

• 2 weeks later...

Donny tried making a new Twitter account that was copying and pasting all the rants he's posted on his own website.

Got banned again in less than a day.

:jjyay::rudi:

• 2 weeks later...

Supreme Court agrees to look at a Mississippi law that bans abortions after 15 weeks.

They're "possibly going to re-consider Roe/Wade" as part of this.

image.jpeg.03202d1453856e43898cc6258c269bc3.jpeg

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Supreme Court agrees to look at a Mississippi law that bans abortions after 15 weeks.

They're "possibly going to re-consider Roe/Wade" as part of this.

image.jpeg.03202d1453856e43898cc6258c269bc3.jpeg

With the current composition of the SCOTUS, it's inevitable that Roe v Wade will come under review at some point.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Trump is irrelevant. 

Thats as may be, but it doesn't seem that way to the Republican Party who have fired Liz Cheney who refused to continue the lies about the election.  It doesn't seem that way to McCarthy who stated some opinions that were not acceptable to Trump, he received a call, went to Florida and changed his tune after conversations with Trump. The Republicans are looking to Trump to bring in money for elections, he has already accumulated millions. He is still dangling the I will run again in 2024. He has many who dwell on every word he says, they see him as the chosen one to get them back in power. Listen if you can to Carlson, Levin and Hannity on Fox news. They refer to him as President or Former President. Biden is Biden or Joe, Hannity goes on about his sleepy time and his warm milkies,and the Trump enthusiasts lap it up. Quite frankly if Trump runs again and Biden is his opponent the election is won before a vote is counted, and if some States have their way that will also be accomplished by their new election systems. 

I am certainly no fan, but as an outside observer I will state  regardless of his policies Biden is a sorry old man. He is past it and projects that in his mannerisms and speech. Trump isn't much younger and certainly isn't any paragon, but he is capable, willing and will lie cheat and if necessary steal to achieve his goal of a return to the Presidency. Of all the things he is the one thing he is not is irrelevant.

33 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Thats as may be, but it doesn't seem that way to the Republican Party who have fired Liz Cheney who refused to continue the lies about the election.  It doesn't seem that way to McCarthy who stated some opinions that were not acceptable to Trump, he received a call, went to Florida and changed his tune after conversations with Trump. The Republicans are looking to Trump to bring in money for elections, he has already accumulated millions. He is still dangling the I will run again in 2024. He has many who dwell on every word he says, they see him as the chosen one to get them back in power. Listen if you can to Carlson, Levin and Hannity on Fox news. They refer to him as President or Former President. Biden is Biden or Joe, Hannity goes on about his sleepy time and his warm milkies,and the Trump enthusiasts lap it up. Quite frankly if Trump runs again and Biden is his opponent the election is won before a vote is counted, and if some States have their way that will also be accomplished by their new election systems. 

I am certainly no fan, but as an outside observer I will state  regardless of his policies Biden is a sorry old man. He is past it and projects that in his mannerisms and speech. Trump isn't much younger and certainly isn't any paragon, but he is capable, willing and will lie cheat and if necessary steal to achieve his goal of a return to the Presidency. Of all the things he is the one thing he is not is irrelevant.

:greatpost: Nail on head there Bob.

Republicans are going to spend the next 4 years laser focussed on the next Presidential election.

During that time the republican run States will pass all manner of voter suppression laws, aided and abetted by the Supreme Court.

Next time they win, it'll be for keeps.

Texas passes new law banning all abortions after 6 weeks, with no exceptions for rape or incest.

Private citizens are encouraged to launch private suits against any clinic even suspected of having carried out an abortion after this date, even for "aiding and abetting"

This opens the floodgates for frivolous claims.

What a backwards shitehole that place is.

Edited by Cade

26 minutes ago, Cade said:

Texas passes new law banning all abortions after 6 weeks, with no exceptions for rape or incest.

Private citizens are encouraged to launch private suits against any clinic even suspected of having carried out an abortion after this date, even for "aiding and abetting"

26 minutes ago, Cade said:

New York Attorney General has opened an investigation into the Trump family organisation. This is not to do with administrative matters but is stated to be criminal. Even if he is not convicted, it is getting to the state that legal fees alone are going to get him. He is already suspected that money he has gleaned from campaign funds has been used for other purposes . The Republicans are bending over backwards to placate him, because they feel they need him to attract campaign funds,and get voters out to vote in the mid term elections..

To me it is frightening what some elected Republicans are saying, with regard to January sixth one guy says there was no insurrection, it was a normal day with people walking quietly between the guard rails, and being nice to each other. Film shows him on the day helping to bar a door to the Chamber to keep out the friendly visitors.  As I stated on here prior to the 6th January disturbances, Trumps rhetoric shortly before the action led me to believe there would be disturbance, violence and possibly deaths. I again predict before this is all over there will be substantial violence, the National and elected Republican party members are not doing anything to curb this in fact some may even be complicit. There are criticisms of Bidens lack of action regarding Gaza, I hope his law enforcement agencies are being more proactive than he regarding Gaza. Again in my humble opinion elected officials are saying the right things to encourage the loonier edge of Trump supporters to react if they deem it so necessary to repeat and possibly escalate the 6th January disturbances on Capitol Hill.

6 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Grand jury convening in NY to consider criminal charges to indict Trump. Nice. 

Documents don't lie. 

The grand jury will sit for 3 days a week for 6months. Here's hoping for an early Christmas present - the meltdown of Trump and his family will be tremendous. 

Also interesting - In an interview yesterday Allen Weisselberg's former daughter in law stated that he would not provide payslips/information on his wages when he was becoming the guarantor on a montage/lease for her as part of his son's divorce as it was at the same time Cohen was being investigated. He was preventing information leak which could incriminate.

Edited by Mysterion
added additional info.

10 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Documents don't lie. 

The grand jury will sit for 3 days a week for 6months. Here's hoping for an early Christmas present - the meltdown of Trump and his family will be tremendous. 

Also interesting - In an interview yesterday Allen Weisselberg's former daughter in law stated that he would not provide payslips/information on his wages when he was becoming the guarantor on a montage/lease for her as part of his son's divorce as it was at the same time Cohen was being investigated. He was preventing information leak which could incriminate.

I see it will include officers of the company: family members. Bedford Hills time for Ivanka dearest.

6 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I see it will include officers of the company: family members. Bedford Hills time for Ivanka dearest.

Ivanka has already tried the "not sure what Allen does" routine. 

She's got in early and will go with the "I didn't know" defence.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ivanka-trump-allen-weisselberg-deposition-inauguration_n_60a99e71e4b0d45b752a0f25?ri18n=true

Just now, Mysterion said:

Ivanka has already tried the "not sure what Allen does" routine. 

She's got in early and will go with the "I didn't know" defence.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ivanka-trump-allen-weisselberg-deposition-inauguration_n_60a99e71e4b0d45b752a0f25?ri18n=true

Hopefully Weisselberg has all the details safely archived. 

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Grand jury convening in NY to consider criminal charges to indict Trump. Nice. 

I think the A-Gs behaviour in prosecuting this action she may have given Trump a get out of court action free card (a play on the Monopoly game). Her vitriol towards him and anyone associated with him and her constant proclamations decrying him during her election campaign and since becoming A-Gprobably means his defence team will accuse her (not unfairly tbh) of braking the ABA's (American Bar Association) ethical standards code 2.1 "When deciding whether to initiate or continue an investigation, the prosecutor should not be influenced by partisan or other improper political considerations…or hostility or personal animus toward a potential subject." 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)