U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Well, March 4th is over, so I'm guessing that Trump is president again.

It's astonishing that some people, maybe many people, believe such tripe.

Have the weekend to get through yet

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Well, March 4th is over, so I'm guessing that Trump is president again.

It's astonishing that some people, maybe many people, believe such tripe.

You have Nancy Pelosi to thank for the QAnon Inauguration Day nonsense. She's he one who asked her security to write a report about this mythical threat. 

8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

You have Nancy Pelosi to thank for the QAnon Inauguration Day nonsense. She's he one who asked her security to write a report about this mythical threat. 

00XGXjt.gif

On 28/02/2021 at 23:13, Seymour M Hersh said:

People see what they want to see in any given situation so I'm not sure your statement is accurate.  That's why police will tell you the least useful type of evidence is eye witness accounts. 

Mmmm.

4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Mmmm.

:lol: Brilliant

Edited by Justin Z

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I will give you the respect of a what I feel is a reasonable reply. The success to the rioters who invaded the Capitol Building was the lack of planning and implementation of such particularly by the Capitol Police. There are now hearings going on and evidence is being led that there was powerful interference on the having the National Guard participate in control. There is now also evidence coming that persons who were in the Capitol when it was being invaded were talking on phones to some of the disrupters. I would humbly suggest that although I totally disagree with their actions and motives, the organisers of those criminal activities are not stupid, and do have intelligence from knowledgeable  insiders that the security was going if the attacks happened to be much more prepared, and the battle much more even and defence of the Capitol much more focussed. As a reliable eye witness to your comment, I would suggest again respectfully that the threat was mysticlsm is totally wrong and absurd, but was in fact a genuine threat, but considered by the perpetrators to be more a danger of a loss than another public relations  victory.   I would suggest that even now a new situation is being discussed and that the motives for disruption are still present.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I will give you the respect of a what I feel is a reasonable reply. The success to the rioters who invaded the Capitol Building was the lack of planning and implementation of such particularly by the Capitol Police. There are now hearings going on and evidence is being led that there was powerful interference on the having the National Guard participate in control. There is now also evidence coming that persons who were in the Capitol when it was being invaded were talking on phones to some of the disrupters. I would humbly suggest that although I totally disagree with their actions and motives, the organisers of those criminal activities are not stupid, and do have intelligence from knowledgeable  insiders that the security was going if the attacks happened to be much more prepared, and the battle much more even and defence of the Capitol much more focussed. As a reliable eye witness to your comment, I would suggest again respectfully that the threat was mysticlsm is totally wrong and absurd, but was in fact a genuine threat, but considered by the perpetrators to be more a danger of a loss than another public relations  victory.   I would suggest that even now a new situation is being discussed and that the motives for disruption are still present.

Maybe that's why the Shaman fella was there. :lol:

I was merely saying to ML that until Pelosi coined the phrase nobody was calling the 4th of March QAnon Inaugural day. Oh and as an aside there were no attacks or insurrection on government or state buildings anywhere yesterday. 

33 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Maybe that's why the Shaman fella was there. :lol:

I was merely saying to ML that until Pelosi coined the phrase nobody was calling the 4th of March QAnon Inaugural day. Oh and as an aside there were no attacks or insurrection on government or state buildings anywhere yesterday. 

I saw him on TV last night from his cell I believe, he is a bit less effusive now. Totally different person pretty thin, shaved head and has a beard, totally different personae.

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

I saw him on TV last night from his cell I believe, he is a bit less effusive now. Totally different person pretty thin, shaved head and has a beard, totally different personae.

I'm sure he'll be coming out with all sorts of bollox to try and make himself look slightly less of a moron. Probably won't work though. However saying that he really isn't a terrorist just a total idiot. 

Republican Senators forced the entire 628-page Covid Relief ill to be read out in full.

So the Democrats did, and read it out in full, all night long.

Then as soon as they finished, they called a vote to cut the debate time from 20 hours to 3 hours.

And no Republicans were in the chamber to vote against it.

:jjyay:

Edited by Cade

4 hours ago, Cade said:

Republican Senators forced the entire 628-page Covid Relief ill to be read out in full.

Then as soon as they finished, they called a vote to cut the debate time from 20 hours to 3 hours.

It's the sign of things to come, at least until the 2022 elections.  The the Republicans will run on the platform of "we need to break the logjam to get things done for the American people."

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, Cade said:

What a ******* place and the thing is, idealogically, they're about as far apart as the cheeks of my arse. For your ordinary joe it's six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Speaking of Ordinary Joe ....... (any excuse)

7 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

What a ******* place and the thing is, idealogically, they're about as far apart as the cheeks of my arse. For your ordinary joe it's six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Whichever side of the aisle, they don't even try to hide their contempt for us.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "manny @mannyfidel an 11-year-old boy froze to death in Texas last week while tryıno to keep his 3-year-old brother warm RE The Recount @therecount 1h Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) at CPAC: "Orlando is awesome. It's not as nice as Cancun." Show this thread CPAC 2021 RECOUNT SPAC 11:13 AM 2/26/21 Twitter Web App"

A man described as a Trump appointee has been charged regarding his conduct in the Capitol Building, he worked in one of the Cabinet offices. Some other prominent persons are apparently being looked at because of their participation in the events. It provides some satisfaction but deep down it really just  raises fear about the state of the United States if this type of person and others were party at the urging of the sitting President to participate in such. I used to wonder why my elderly parents got so upset about things happening in my generation. I now understand it is because you are concerned the affect it will have on your own grandchildren that they will be denied the lifestyle you had. But the fact is no generation had complete peace and joy, man always finds a way to screw it all up.

On 05/03/2021 at 18:08, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm sure he'll be coming out with all sorts of bollox to try and make himself look slightly less of a moron. Probably won't work though. However saying that he really isn't a terrorist just a total idiot. 

In 2016 when I voted for Kyrsten Sinema for the Senate in Arizona, she was widely regarded as the most progressive senatorial option outside Bernie Sanders. She was also openly nonreligious which as has been discussed in this thread, is a rarity in US politics.

image.png.9d9ae2418377075aa580cbec1d288675.png

2014. So even worse than her cutesy curtsey, she lied for years to get into power.

Not unlike in the case of Barack Obama, progressives got sold up the river electing her to office. I hope she gets primaried for 2022.

Boooooooo!!!! $1.9t is shite, 9%of gdp is Bollox, I don't care if it's double what the best of the rest have to offer. Bernie would've given us the whole lot. Boo

Boooo Biden, he's been President for a month and half and hasn't done what he said he would do over 4 years. 

Boo $2000 ($1400+600) that isn't $2000. Boo. 

Joe should emigrate to Scotland, anaw. Fecking Boo

John Findlay

I'm still surprised at how surprised certain posters on here are at politicians lying. They all do regardless of their so called political persuasion.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I'm still surprised at how surprised certain posters on here are at politicians lying. They all do regardless of their so called political persuasion.

So true John. The old joke about how do you know when a politician is lying came about for a good reason. 

Marjorie Taylor-Greene:

"The Covid recovery bill is racist against whites. It pays reparations to black farmers. It's enslaving the USA to China"

None of those statements are true.

:olly:

So an old man stumbles on thick carpet on steep stairs leading to an aircraft, and this is the news. Who didn't expect an old man type things when a seventy eight year old man was elected. I am more concerned about his threatening comments to China, and his taunts at Putin, his frequent references to Harris as President Harris, allowing for his fighting to avoid any obvious speech impediments he has takes away his train of thought about which he is talking. My feeling after Trump is that anyone would have been better than him, Biden is a more palatable a man, but as a President he does nothing to relieve any concerns I have about world peace, immigration crises, defunding police, and a general atmosphere that provides confidence in an interested party who watches with hope for a new leadership, not different leadership but capable leadership.

Jeffros Furios

I thought Biden was going to offer hope for the millions living in squalor with no money , education or health care.  But I suppose after 50 yrs of politics and doing fulck all for those people why would he start now ? 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

So an old man stumbles on thick carpet on steep stairs leading to an aircraft, and this is the news. 

Just imagine the response on here had it been Trump. In fact you only need to look at a post earlier to see the response to anything concerning right of centre individuals. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

42 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Just imagine the response on here had it been Trump. In fact you only need to look at a post earlier to see the response to anything concerning right of centre individuals. 

I am probably the last person to have to imagine my response to anything Trump would ,could or has done I assess him as a despicable character, a liar, a coward and a serial adulterer, on the other hand I see Biden as a sincere individual who as myself is assessed  with actions as being caused by age.  I don't think he is in the present or will be in history adjudged as the best or even a good President, but he will not be vilified as I foresee Trump being in the distant future. My problems with Biden are his policies, and have to concede that he has been voted President, the only time I was a President of anything was a in danger of collapse  a local  minor football league. So I again concede to his abilities to do, and mine strictly to criticise what he does that does not conform to my wishes. As for Trump my sole ambition with he, is to see him in handcuffs as the result of a sentence imposed after the many investigations are concluded.

16 hours ago, Sharpie said:

So an old man stumbles on thick carpet on steep stairs leading to an aircraft, and this is the news. Who didn't expect an old man type things when a seventy eight year old man was elected.

There was widespread mockery in the media when Trump slipped on stairs, and calls of invoking the 25th amendment because he had lost his mental faculties were abundant. His being a serial adultering, lying, cheating criminal has nothing to do with any of that. "One rule for me and another for thee" is never, ever the answer.

It would be nice if the media would stop literally running interference for this administration.

15 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I thought Biden was going to offer hope for the millions living in squalor with no money , education or health care.  But I suppose after 50 yrs of politics and doing fulck all for those people why would he start now ? 

:spoton:

50 years of actively making their lives more miserable, even.

Instead he's now carpetbagged a couple dozen folks in his administration who had the gall to admit they've used marijuana in the past. While Kamala Harris, who imprisoned people for it even though she used to do it all the time, sits in the VP's chair.

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

There was widespread mockery in the media when Trump slipped on stairs, and calls of invoking the 25th amendment because he had lost his mental faculties were abundant. His being a serial adultering, lying, cheating criminal has nothing to do with any of that. "One rule for me and another for thee" is never, ever the answer.

It would be nice if the media would stop literally running interference for this administration.

Instead he's now carpetbagged a couple dozen folks in his administration who had the gall to admit they've used marijuana in the past. While Kamala Harris, who imprisoned people for it even though she used to do it all the time, sits in the VP's chair.

Would it be fair to say the honeymoon is well and truly over?

23 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Would it be fair to say the honeymoon is well and truly over?

Haha depends on which groom to this corpse bride you're referring to :lol:  Everywhere you look, his administration's really ridiculous decisions, broken promises, and all the rest so far are being papered over, outright ignored, and so on, with the assistance of a compliant media and an "at least he's not Trump" cast of millions.

Hundreds of Immigrant Children Are Being Detained in Packed Conditions, Lawyers Say

Remember when the above was a horrible human rights abuse? That the US was running "concentration camps for brown children" when it was Trump doing it? Nothing but excuses now, and very difficult to find any mainstream media coverage of it.

May be an image of 2 people

Plus, the honeymoon should've been over 18 years and two days ago, the moment American troops set foot in Iraq. Not a single politician who voted for  that pack of bald-faced lies should ever have held office again—if the US was host to a functioning, healthy democracy.

It's not.

Edited by Justin Z

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Haha depends on which groom to this corpse bride you're referring to :lol:  Everywhere you look, his administration's really ridiculous decisions, broken promises, and all the rest so far are being papered over, outright ignored, and so on, with the assistance of a compliant media and an "at least he's not Trump" cast of millions.

Hundreds of Immigrant Children Are Being Detained in Packed Conditions, Lawyers Say

Remember when the above was a horrible human rights abuse? That the US was running "concentration camps for brown children" when it was Trump doing it? Nothing but excuses now, and very difficult to find any mainstream media coverage of it.

Plus, the honeymoon should've been over 18 years and two days ago, the moment American troops set foot in Iraq. Not a single politician who voted for  that pack of bald-faced lies should ever have held office again—if the US was host to a functioning, healthy democracy.

It's not.

Read the link and pretty tragic.

I don’t have access to Fox News but would’ve thought they were slating Biden on the border issue.

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

My re

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

My response where I mentioned Trumps failings as I see them was not to the actual incidence of both men having difficulty perambulating on stairs or ramps., but to the question posed in a second post by another member who asked we should imagine what would have been said if it was Trump. I was attempting to point out that despite my and others opinion that Biden is not the greatest President ever elected, he seems quite a different character to Trump who I admit is very low in my esteem. I felt it was fair and proper to illustrate my reasons for being critical of Trump and felt with the sense of the question it was fair. I was not if I recall critical of Trump treading slowly and carefully down the ramp at West Point, I do say it was a bit ironic when one looks at an elderly man who spends so much attention to dyed, comb overs and phoney tans to look young, but finds that senior years are not all about appearance but include many deficiencies in handling every day occurrences. 

A Boy Named Crow
18 hours ago, Justin Z said:

It's not.

This last bit is the elephant in the room when it comes to American politics. It's laughably hypocritical that the country that goes to war around the world, in the interests of promoting democracy has such a stupid set up at home. 

I don't just mean the electoral college system.  It's the distribution of senators, the politicisation of the judiciary, the way the political parties are so beholden to big business and interest groups...it goes on and on.

The USA isn't a democracy,  not in the way people would generally understand democracy.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

This last bit is the elephant in the room when it comes to American politics. It's laughably hypocritical that the country that goes to war around the world, in the interests of promoting democracy has such a stupid set up at home. 

I don't just mean the electoral college system.  It's the distribution of senators, the politicisation of the judiciary, the way the political parties are so beholden to big business and interest groups...it goes on and on.

The USA isn't a democracy,  not in the way people would generally understand democracy.

The pish they spout about being the greatest democracy in the world is laughable.

They have god on their side whoever he/she is.

4 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

You know, in this big universe of imperfect political systems, I don't mind things like the Senate in a “broad ideas” sense. If the UK had a similar setup for its other chamber instead of the House of Lords (which is an utter joke), meant to represent regions' differing interests instead of pure population, then Scotland, the North, and others might not have been trampled over constantly throughout history, thanks to the population edge in the South.

What screwed up the US Senate was making it elective instead of appointive. Makes zero sense with a position not intended to be democratic in a per-head-of-population way.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The pish they spout about being the greatest democracy in the world is laughable.

It really is.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They have god on their side whoever he/she is.

Unfortunately for the moment democracy in the US has come off the rails to a degree mostly due to the political elites (of both sides) who see ruling as being their god given right. However there are still things in American democracy that I like. Any citizen being able to get a proposition on the ballot paper if they can muster support for their idea is something I have always thought worthy. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Biden promised 100 million vaccinations in his first 100 days in office.

They were saying on the news that the US hit that target after only 58 days and are now going to try and get to 200 million vaccinations by Biden's first 100 days.

On 22/03/2021 at 11:50, Seymour M Hersh said:

However there are still things in American democracy that I like. Any citizen being able to get a proposition on the ballot paper if they can muster support for their idea is something I have always thought worthy. 

Only about half the states have initiative/referendum processes, with the requirements varying wildly from state to state. There is no initiative/referendum procedure available at the federal level at all.

Edited by Justin Z

Seymour M Hersh

I had not realise states did not operate this system.  When I lived in California it always appealed to me as real grass roots democracy.  Not sure how it could ever work at federal level though. 

So Georgia are changing their election process to suit Trumps allegations. I heard on one news a Georgian explaining the figures an if properly done would change the results by 12,000. the last time I heard that number was Trumps phone cll when he told the person he was talking to to find a way to get 12000 more votes.

Trump put out a statement today that the Capitol Hill situation was all peaceful, police and  persons hugging, and all friendly, yes that what I thought also Donald on fact hugged so tight that some died.

It would be so nice to turn on the TV and hear how Biden is taking are of things, then you hear about the thousands invading the Border, words such as chaos and out of control used widely. He speaks and refers to his Vice President, as President Harris, he is reported to have said yesterday he will run again the next campaign.

Its too bad for me there is not a vaccination against watching and listening to American politics.

Well I have achieved my purpose I just missed the names Biden and Trump on the JKB web page.

Edited by Sharpie

Seymour M Hersh
10 hours ago, Sharpie said:

So Georgia are changing their election process to suit Trumps allegations. I heard on one news a Georgian explaining the figures an if properly done would change the results by 12,000. the last time I heard that number was Trumps phone cll when he told the person he was talking to to find a way to get 12000 more votes.

Trump put out a statement today that the Capitol Hill situation was all peaceful, police and  persons hugging, and all friendly, yes that what I thought also Donald on fact hugged so tight that some died.

It would be so nice to turn on the TV and hear how Biden is taking are of things, then you hear about the thousands invading the Border, words such as chaos and out of control used widely. He speaks and refers to his Vice President, as President Harris, he is reported to have said yesterday he will run again the next campaign.

Its too bad for me there is not a vaccination against watching and listening to American politics.

Well I have achieved my purpose I just missed the names Biden and Trump on the JKB web page.

So what exactly do you think Pelosi and the Democrats are trying to do with their "for the people" act and the attempt to make DC a state? 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So what exactly do you think Pelosi and the Democrats are trying to do with their "for the people" act and the attempt to make DC a state? 

DC should absolutely be a state. 700,000 people with no representatives in the Senate? That's a ridiculous situation, whether it benefits the Democrats to have DC as a state or not.

No taxation without representation. The USA was founded from that principle and should be adhering to it.

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

DC should absolutely be a state. 700,000 people with no representatives in the Senate? That's a ridiculous situation, whether it benefits the Democrats to have DC as a state or not.

No taxation without representation. The USA was founded from that principle and should be adhering to it.

That's the only reason they are pushing for it and nothing to do with representation of however many actually live in the city limits.  

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)