U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

17 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Over 50 Executive Orders signed by Celtic within his first month in power. That has to be some kind of record surely. 

How many are just reversing Trump's orders to screw about with things like Obamacare and the various other daft things he wanted to happen. 

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
26 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Over 50 Executive Orders signed by Celtic within his first month in power. That has to be some kind of record surely. 

image.png.4ad1f0a012de591eef84b7a33dfc512f.png

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Somebody had to do something the other guy the loser done nothing for a period after he lost and refused to accept that. 

4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

So far, you were spot on. But at least Biden's not mean on Twitter :rolleyes:

So you're not in favour of rejoining the Paris Accord? Or the program to provide a way forward for undocumented immigrants? Or allowing transgender troops to serve in the armed forces. Or protecting areas in Alaska from drilling etc.? Or any of his actions aiming to reverse Trump's damage?

Oh aye, the other poster was spot on. Biden's no better than Trump all right. :rolleyes:

I don't understand it, Justin. You're an intelligent guy, you are obviously left-leaning which to me at least is a good thing, but you still won't give credit where it is due. Is it a case of if Biden doesn't do exactly what you personally want him to, nothing else matters?

Edited by redjambo

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I don't understand it, Justin. You're an intelligent guy, you are obviously left-leaning which to me at least is a good thing, but you still won't give credit where it is due. Is it a case of if Biden doesn't do exactly what you personally want him to, nothing else matters?

I appreciate that redjambo. But no, it has very little to do with what I want Biden to do, and what needs to be done for the sake of people in need. Let me try to explain:

- A neoliberal, capitalist solution like the Paris Agreement is essentially meaningless. Is it good the US rejoined it? I guess, in the broad context that Earth might become unlivable a few years later than otherwise. I fail to see why I'm supposed to be celebrating this at all.

- Biden's program for "a way forward" for immigrants is trash. He promised to end "Remain in Mexico" on day one and walked that back before he even got elected. He's just reopened a concentration camp for migrant children.

- Yay Alaska. Yay oil drilling everywhere.

- Biden has provided significantly less relief to millions of desperate people—i.e. ****ing zero—than Trump did. And Trump was all over getting $2,000 out to people in December. It doesn't matter that he was completely bonkers, or was about to railroad Republicans to do it. Biden promised "$2,000 checks out the door immediately" if the Dems won Georgia, and he's done **** all in a month—after walking the figure back to $1,400.

You're right though, I was premature in calling Jeffros' post spot on. He didn't go far enough—he only claimed Biden would be "no better than" Trump. Many, many millions of people would have received funds and would be better off under Trump term 2 so far. Congratulations, the Biden administration.

Electoralism in the United States, as a concept, is completely dead. Biden "reversing Trump's damage" is at best temporary. At its worst, it cons a lot of folk into convincing themselves things are getting better and therefore it's fine to relax and go back to prosecco brunches.

Hopefully that mostly explains things?

5 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I appreciate that redjambo. But no, it has very little to do with what I want Biden to do, and what needs to be done for the sake of people in need. Let me try to explain:

- A neoliberal, capitalist solution like the Paris Agreement is essentially meaningless. Is it good the US rejoined it? I guess, in the broad context that Earth might become unlivable a few years later than otherwise. I fail to see why I'm supposed to be celebrating this at all.

- Biden's program for "a way forward" for immigrants is trash. He promised to end "Remain in Mexico" on day one and walked that back before he even got elected. He's just reopened a concentration camp for migrant children.

- Yay Alaska. Yay oil drilling everywhere.

- Biden has provided significantly less relief to millions of desperate people—i.e. ****ing zero—than Trump did. And Trump was all over getting $2,000 out to people in December. It doesn't matter that he was completely bonkers, or was about to railroad Republicans to do it. Biden promised "$2,000 checks out the door immediately" if the Dems won Georgia, and he's done **** all in a month—after walking the figure back to $1,400.

You're right though, I was premature in calling Jeffros' post spot on. He didn't go far enough—he only claimed Biden would be "no better than" Trump. Many, many millions of people would have received funds and would be better off under Trump term 2 so far. Congratulations, the Biden administration.

Electoralism in the United States, as a concept, is completely dead. Biden "reversing Trump's damage" is at best temporary. At its worst, it cons a lot of folk into convincing themselves things are getting better and therefore it's fine to relax and go back to prosecco brunches.

Hopefully that mostly explains things?

Yes. Thanks for explaining your position.

So how do you think you can effect change?

J.T.F.Robertson
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Storm the Capitol.  (sorry) 😭

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I presume he cant as he no longer lives in the states. I dont think he could do much if he lived there either.

Edited by John Findlay

Just now, John Findlay said:

I presume he cant as he no longer lives in the states. I dont he could do much if he lived there either.

Fair point. I should have asked "How do you think change can be effected?" :)

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I don't, whether we're talking about on an individual or society-wide level, electorally speaking. I think incrementalism is now impossible, and revolution is the only path left. Else ruin.

12 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Storm the Capitol.  (sorry) 😭

:lol:

7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I presume he cant as he no longer lives in the states. I dont think he could do much if he lived there either.

Well played!

US imperialism and the military industrial complex is okay when it's a Democratic president because __________

Austerity is okay when it's a Democratic government because __________

Jeffros Furios
2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

@redjambo I've posted this guy in this thread before. He puts it far better than I ever could.

Strong words and entirely correct .

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Strong words and entirely correct .

Agreed. It's nothing we haven't been saying for years.

9 hours ago, Justin Z said:

@redjambo I've posted this guy in this thread before. He puts it far better than I ever could.

Pink bombs??  WTF is he talking about?  It looks like he can't make his point without hyperbole.

Biden might turn out to be the worst president ever, let's wait and see.  He's been prez for one month in a 48 month term.  imo, it's a wee bit too soon to be crying that nothing has changed. That's like complaining that nothing has changed under a new manager after one game in a 48 game season.

On 23/02/2021 at 14:16, Sharpie said:

Somebody had to do something the other guy the loser done nothing for a period after he lost and refused to accept that. 

I'd love someone to do a parody of Donald where's yer troosers - Donald is a loser

Just now, Smithee said:

All the lassies say No no! Donald is a loser

You'll be on the next series of The Masked Singer with that Smithee!

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Pink bombs??  WTF is he talking about?  It looks like he can't make his point without hyperbole.

Biden might turn out to be the worst president ever, let's wait and see.  He's been prez for one month in a 48 month term.  imo, it's a wee bit too soon to be crying that nothing has changed. That's like complaining that nothing has changed under a new manager after one game in a 48 game season.

He's talking about the empty hypocrisy of Democratic performative identity politics.

Hyperbole or otherwise, he's pretty justifiably pissed off seeing as he is Syrian himself.

Biden managed to put hundreds of millions of dollars into Raytheon and bomb Syria before getting a minimum wage increase passed, reducing student loan debt, or getting stimulus checks out. If the new manager came in and implemented exactly the same training techniques and tactics on the pitch, there'd be nothing wrong with such a complaint. Not to mention it's like he's basically replaced a manager where everyone complained about hoofball (increased bombing in Iraq and Syria) and he's instructed his players no passes under 35 yards (even worse bombing at this rate).

16 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You'll be on the next series of The Masked Singer with that Smithee!

God help us all mate!

Edited by Smithee

JZ still greeting about Bernie no getting the keys of the big hoose, so he could bankrupt the whole USA while the workshy eat shrimps from Bernie's blank chequeathon. 

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

JZ still greeting about Bernie no getting the keys of the big hoose, so he could bankrupt the whole USA while the workshy eat shrimps from Bernie's blank chequeathon. 

The work gregarious are way more numerous, and that would be who Bernie had in mind.

How many of the "workshy" do you think exist back home and have been abusing the system since its inception.

There will always be them, but that was never the intention of the welfare system, as you well know.

Bernie rules! Or would have for me. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Joe Biden (title changed)
2 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

The work gregarious are way more numerous, and that would be who Bernie had in mind.

How many of the "workshy" do you think exist back home and have been abusing the system since its inception.

There will always be them, but that was never the intention of the welfare system, as you well know.

:D

I like Bernie, but he'd **** every thing right up. 

I was only kidding about the workshy, BTW. Help is needed, but Ffs. Do it with right policies,proper taxation, not some far left shite that always fails. You can't tax and tax and tax, you'll end up with nothing to tax. 

12 hours ago, Cade said:

Republican filibuster is what is delaying the $15 wage.

But don't let facts get in the way of painting Biden as the bad guy.

The Senate Parliamentarian has ruled the minimum wage increase cannot be in the Covid relief package. Biden has shrugged and said "oh well, guess we can't do it", but in actual fact, the Presiding Officer of the Senate may overrule the Parliamentarian anytime she wishes.

The Presiding Officer is the Vice President.

This is a choice, and it is Biden's and his administration's choice.

5 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Yeah, me too. Bit weird to be talking about him though, since I never mentioned him, and since he has nothing to do with Biden's breaking of numerous campaign promises in the first month of his presidency.

May be an image of aeroplane, sky and text that says "I have this radical lefty belief that we shouldn't spend $1 700,000,000,000 on a failed F-35 fighter jet program when 94% of public school teachers are forced to spend their own money mone on school supplies. Robert Reich"

This is a deeper structural problem than Joe Biden, and there's not much he could've done up to now, although his decision to give a shit ton of money to Raytheon before taking care of US citizens who are going hungry likely means it'll not change under him.

Either way, it makes a complete mockery of the hare-brained idea that folks who are against the military industrial complex, corporate welfare and the rule of the oligarchy just want to tax everything into oblivion—a truly smooth-brained, reactionary, ignorant take. The F-35 is the actual kind of blank check (and there are scores of them) that have basically already bankrupted the USA.

...While children still go hungry and teachers pay for their own ****ing school supplies.

The remedy to all the problems is so clear. On Sunday the great man will give his speech at CPAC, the Republicans  will kneel in his presence and kiss his ring, (in my low class habitat ring is often used to replace anus) he will repeat his claims of a stolen election, he will again incite violence, and he will again be lauded for doing so. When it does happen he will again be castigated by some of his Republican followers only to receive  an ensuing crescendo of praise for his leadership and forethought, the cry will be something like "on with the Revolution" the people have spoken. The United States of America, such has not been seen for any major Country since the 1930's, the 6th January was an exhibition game , the strategies are now complete, the numbers available of players determined, the only missing component for a pseudo league and cup winning team is the actual day and venue of the big match, Sunday may give a clue. This thread with its new title may go down in history as the last time Joe Biden was honored in any way for achieving the temporary position of President.

Of course this whole post is a litany of fantasy and should be read as such 

7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

The Senate Parliamentarian has ruled the minimum wage increase cannot be in the Covid relief package. Biden has shrugged and said "oh well, guess we can't do it", but in actual fact, the Presiding Officer of the Senate may overrule the Parliamentarian anytime she wishes.

The Presiding Officer is the Vice President.

This is a choice, and it is Biden's and his administration's choice.

Over to you Cade.

18 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Over to you Cade.

Or not I guess 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile the Conservative Political Action Committee Conference's stage was designed in the shape of a rune that was an integral part of SS symbology.

They have of course come out and said that it's just a coincidence.

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "Zack Bornstein @ZackBornstein CPAc accidentally making their stage the shape of a Nazi symbol"

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Or not I guess 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile the Conservative Political Action Committee Conference's stage was designed in the shape of a rune that was an integral part of SS symbology.

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "Zack Bornstein @ZackBornstein CPAc accidentally making their stage the shape of a Nazi symbol"

51 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Or not I guess 🤷‍♂️

I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt with that. 

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt with that. 

Well there is no doubt about the golden statue of Trump that is part of the decor. Watch his speech tonight it will be a stunner, when he announces himself and is accepted as the head of the Republican Party.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Well there is no doubt about the golden statue of Trump that is part of the decor. Watch his speech tonight it will be a stunner, when he announces himself and is accepted as the head of the Republican Party.

Some muppet got interviewed and they said he would be President next month. 

53 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Some muppet got interviewed and they said he would be President next month. 

Saw some of the delegates interviewed yesterday and that is a common theme, there was something and I missed it about 4 March being an important date, and that will be discussed or claimed for in the meetings. The problem I  personally have is that the claims are so stupid and outlandish that it all seems like as big tv comedy and the seriousness will not quite hit us all until it's too late. People like MacConnell criticise Trump then kiss his ass and back him for another term as President, I will be listening to Trump when he makes his speech today, it will be aimed I am sure at his MAGA followers, and I am sure if listened to carefully will be frightening. Like they say "its not over 'til it"s over."

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Saw some of the delegates interviewed yesterday and that is a common theme, there was something and I missed it about 4 March being an important date, and that will be discussed or claimed for in the meetings. The problem I  personally have is that the claims are so stupid and outlandish that it all seems like as big tv comedy and the seriousness will not quite hit us all until it's too late. People like MacConnell criticise Trump then kiss his ass and back him for another term as President, I will be listening to Trump when he makes his speech today, it will be aimed I am sure at his MAGA followers, and I am sure if listened to carefully will be frightening. Like they say "its not over 'til it"s over."

I agree especially the bit about a big tv comedy.

A lot of disturbed people there.

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

I would rather stick toothpicks in my eyes than watch the Fuhrer's speech to CPAC.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

I would rather stick toothpicks in my eyes than watch the Fuhrer's speech to CPAC.

The Nuremberg Rallies did spring to my mind.

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Having spent thirty six years of my life listening to raving people I would rather be armed with the direct knowledge of their statement than the opinions of others pro or con. I am a believer in the adage words matter.

On 23/02/2021 at 17:01, redjambo said:

Abandoning the belief that being left leaning gives anyone moral superiority would be a start. 

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Abandoning the belief that being left leaning gives anyone moral superiority would be a start. 

I didn't say that. :) However, I personally do prefer folk who have empathy for those outside their circle of friends and family, and also those who care about the environment and the animal kingdom, and during my time on this planet I have noticed that there are significantly more of these folk on the "left" than on the "right". You no doubt disagree and you're more than welcome to.

Governor Tarkin
32 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

👍

Governor Tarkin
32 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I didn't say that. :) However, I personally do prefer folk who have empathy for those outside their circle of friends and family, and also those who care about the environment and the animal kingdom, and during my time on this planet I have noticed that there are significantly more of these folk on the "left" than on the "right". You no doubt disagree and you're more than welcome to.

This is my experience also, but both propositions can be equally true, red. There is no law of mutual exclusivity where morality is concerned.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

38 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Do you think although times have changed that the left was generally the choice of the working folks who generally because of life style could afford more things like empathy, sympathy and charity, than strictly money like the right supporting financially superior

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Do you think although times have changed that the left was generally the choice of the working folks who generally because of life style could afford more things like empathy, sympathy and charity, than strictly money like the right supporting financially 

Its a false dichotomy, Bob, there is no left and right. Power picks and chooses, and the media (be that the Bible, Wiener Zeitung, the BBC, or the facebook), tell the rest of us what to think. As long as the majority are at each others throats arguing about superficial stuff like left and right then all is good. And so it goes on.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Its a false dichotomy, Bob, there is no left and right. Power picks and chooses, and the media (be that the Bible, Wiener Zeitung, the BBC, or the facebook), tell the rest of us what to think. As long as the majority are at each others throats arguing about superficial stuff like left and right then all is good. And so it goes on.

Divide and conquer by splitting them into the left and right. Some movies and TV shows have played their part too.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)