U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

12 minutes ago, Barack said:

Then of course this unloved cocaine-addled dipshit, decided to have his say.

Needless to say, it didn't end well. About as politically savvy as his father. Abbott will be most upset...

Screenshot_20210219-074805_Twitter.jpg

So why is junior orange, let's just call him satsuma for short, so eager to defend a man who said this about the big orange?

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
22 hours ago, Justin Z said:

“You're a foreigner. You shut your mouth or you get out” is awfully reminiscent of a recent post on this thread :lol:

Who told you to get out?

54 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Who told you to get out?

I'd have to look back further in the thread for that exact sentiment. The more recent one was reminiscent. Same Limbaugh energy.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

I'd have to look back further in the thread for that exact sentiment. The more recent one was reminiscent. Same Limbaugh energy.

Meh, the right to question a persons authority to pronounce on Scottish affairs based on their perceived qualification to do so is legitimate, imo.

Bringing nationality into it just makes people tetchy (rightly or wrongly), and can muddy valid concerns (again, rightly or wrongly). It's so clumsy.

It all comes down to an individual or section of society's discomfort at being telt by someone who has (to their mind) a limited knowledge of their lived realities (and again, rightly or wrongly).

The phenomenon is scalable, and people inevitably kick back.

The impartial observer will often detect some measure of it traveling in both directions.

You know all this though so I'm wasting my time. :)

Telling someone to get oot based on nationality deserves a shoeing, imo.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Meh, the right to question a persons authority to pronounce on Scottish affairs based on their perceived qualification to do so is legitimate, imo.

IMO too. Not what happened here.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Bringing nationality into it just makes people tetchy (rightly or wrongly), and can muddy valid concerns (again, rightly or wrongly). It's so clumsy.

It all comes down to an individual or section of society's discomfort at being telt by someone who has (to their mind) a limited knowledge of their lived realities (and again, rightly or wrongly).

The phenomenon is scalable, and people inevitably kick back.

The impartial observer will often detect some measure of it traveling in both directions.

You know all this though so I'm wasting my time. :)

As always, I appreciate your thoughts. No waste of time whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Telling someone to get oot based on nationality deserves a shoeing, imo.

The entire notion that people who are not "from" a place must sit down and shut up, never to form their own opinion—that it's a bad thing for them to have read, discussed, explored and otherwise educated themselves on the history, politics, and affairs of their new home, deserves a shoeing, IMO. I have interacted with several people not originally from Scotland who have been on the receiving end of the same, most shamefully even from the thankfully relatively small jingoistic element of independence supporters, although most often from people of other political persuasions.

Bottom line is that it's a shitty thing to do and shows up the character of a person who would do it quite plainly.

Governor Tarkin
25 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

IMO too. Not what happened here.

It might be (but equally it might not be).

25 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

As always, I appreciate your thoughts. No waste of time whatsoever.

Likewise

26 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

The entire notion that people who are not "from" a place must sit down and shut up, never to form their own opinion—that it's a bad thing for them to have read, discussed, explored and otherwise educated themselves on the history, politics, and affairs of their new home, deserves a shoeing, IMO. I have interacted with several people not originally from Scotland who have been on the receiving end of the same, most shamefully even from the thankfully relatively small jingoistic element of independence supporters, although most often from people of other political persuasions.

Bottom line is that it's a shitty thing to do and shows up the character of a person who would do it quite plainly.

It is a shitty thing to do, but I'd hold off on the character judgement.

I think a lot of the heckle in this - and in similar cases - comes down to how we express ourselves.

Kickback isn't a courtroom, nor the floor of the Harvard debating chamber, and Scots, as you know, don't like to feel like they're being talked down to.

It's a broad church and people express themselves differently. This feeds in to wildly varying standards of acceptability for all number of valid reasons.

We all make statements, and read in to statements, things that are figuratively not there, or are not meant literally.

I'm not going out of my way to make excuses here, because some people are just dicks, but I'm pretty certain that the vast majority of really aren't.

Nuance is often lost in translation (even from town to town and region to region), and I see it happening on here all the time. Folk talk past each other.

To paraphrase Cervantes, 'Translating from one language to another is like looking at a Flemish tapestry from the wrong side...', and, well, you know the rest. :D

25 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We all make statements, and read in to statements, things that are figuratively not there, or are not meant literally.

I'm not going out of my way to make excuses here, because some people are just dicks, but I'm pretty certain that the vast majority of really aren't.

Nuance is often lost in translation (even from town to town and region to region), and I see it happening on here all the time. Folk talk past each other.

To paraphrase Cervantes, 'Translating from one language to another is like looking at a Flemish tapestry from the wrong side...', and, well, you know the rest. :D

“Inane ramblings”, “narcissistic”, etc, are pretty black-and-white: the collected thoughts of someone who has no actual answer to any points or arguments he's seen presented, and would rather play the man. Claiming the target is not “happy to be here and wanting to be part of the community”, failing to realise (if we're being generous—there are much darker interpretations) the implication that only native-born superiority gives one the right to determine exactly how that community will be comprised. If we foreigners don't pliantly come along for the ride in lockstep with his vision of what it means to be Scottish, we are inane, narcissistic and must believe we're “doing Scotland a favour by being here”.

There is, at times, the feeling you can't win. Even people who want me and others like me to be here, they'll express annoyance that we've adopted elements of the language and culture. Mingin', boggin', riddy, feart, ken, cludgie, rammy, and so forth. Well which is it? We're foreigners who aren't allowed to integrate, or we must integrate exactly as we're told?

I seem to recall annoying you by repeating one too many times how much I love the official Indy stance which roundly and explicitly rejects all of the above, replacing it with “if you want to be Scottish, you can be”—no strings attached.

I follow and appreciate your points. People do talk past each other—you and I have been no exception too. I've tried to keep your thoughts along these lines in mind as I participate on JKB, even prior to this. But sometimes, “a cigar is just a cigar”, and this one, it was stinkin'.

P.S. "How we express ourselves" – too true and as usual, consider me sufficiently admonished.

Edited by Justin Z

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

“Inane ramblings”, “narcissistic”, etc, are pretty black-and-white: the collected thoughts of someone who has no actual answer to any points or arguments he's seen presented, and would rather play the man. Claiming the target is not “happy to be here and wanting to be part of the community”, failing to realise (if we're being generous—there are much darker interpretations) the implication that only native-born superiority gives one the right to determine exactly how that community will be comprised. If we foreigners don't pliantly come along for the ride in lockstep with his vision of what it means to be Scottish, we are inane, narcissistic and must believe we're “doing Scotland a favour by being here”.

There is, at times, the feeling you can't win. Even people who want me and others like me to be here, they'll express annoyance that we've adopted elements of the language and culture. Mingin', boggin', riddy, feart, ken, cludgie, rammy, and so forth. Well which is it? We're foreigners who aren't allowed to integrate, or we must integrate exactly as we're told?

Maybe he has no actual answer to any points or arguments he's seen presented, and would rather you just stfu as he doesn't like the feeling of being lectured?

I'll admit, 'ach, haud yer wheesht' would be a lot less likely to cause offence, but folk like offending each other on here, especially when our backs are up. We all get a little kick out of the one-upmanship now and again.

I seem to recall annoying you by repeating one too many times how much I love the official Indy stance which roundly and explicitly rejec

I follow and appreciate your points. People do talk past each other—you and I have been no exception too. I've tried to keep your thoughts along these lines in mind as I participate on JKB, even prior to this. But sometimes, “a cigar is just a cigar”, and this one, it was stinkin'.

P.S. "How we express ourselves" – too true and as usual, consider me sufficiently admonished

ts all of the above, replacing it with “if you want to be Scottish, you can be”—no strings attached.

I don't recall being annoyed at that particular stance, as it's one close to my own heart. I might have been on the wind up.

We're a nation of mongrels, and the better for it.

There is, at times, the feeling you can't win.

That's because you can't win. None of us can. It's the only thing that we're truly all in together. It's what we choose do in the bit in between that counts. :) 👍

Edited by Governor Tarkin

12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I don't recall being annoyed at that particular stance, as it's one close to my own heart. I might have been on the wind up.

Not the stance, but the way it was presented, which is why it dovetailed so nicely with your reiteration of it being about how you say things. :food-smiley-004:

16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Maybe he has no actual answer to any points or arguments he's seen presented, and would rather you just stfu as he doesn't like the feeling of being lectured?

:) 👍

And so with that in mind—yeah, maybe. Though to my knowledge I'd never said anything directly to this individual. And that to me is exactly why I feel the reaction is reflective of the character within. Tactful or not from me (and I probably wasn't), most of the reaction had to come from what was already internalised. To react that way therefore was a right handy mirror to the soul.

13 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We're a nation of mongrels, and the better for it.

😍 I do love this.

14 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's because you can't win. None of us can. It's the only thing that we're truly all in together. It's what we choose do in the bit in between that counts.

And here you've perfectly summed it up with a bit of positive cynicism. :lol: Good stuff.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

And so with that in mind—yeah, maybe. Though to my knowledge I'd never said anything directly to this individual. And that to me is exactly why I feel the reaction is reflective of the character within. Tactful or not from me (and I probably wasn't), most of the reaction had to come from what was already internalised. To react that way therefore was a right handy mirror to the soul.

:sadrobbo:

Fair enough.

:rofl:

9 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:sadrobbo:

Fair enough.

:rofl:

:wink: Anyway, back on topic... "Get Trump out and push Biden left", they said...

With regard to the Cruz thing I watched Hannity last night to as I do give time for the alternative opinion, and watched him blatantly hours after the fact state that as first suggested by Cruz that he was only taking his daughters to a location they were going to, to meet some friends, and returning. One of the media outlets  obtained e mails and texts from persons who had been invited to join them in a specific hotel in Cancun. Cruz did acknowledge this, and claimed he had doubts about the trip all along. Two things strike me by this,  Cruz was prepared to lie about this until caught, Hannity was prepared to report only the first story on his evening news broadcast, I would suspect so a not to cause any of his fans to be disappointed in the people they support so rabidly. Propaganda another word I learned as a wee boy.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

:wink: Anyway, back on topic... "Get Trump out and push Biden left", they said...

9 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Not the stance, but the way it was presented, which is why it dovetailed so nicely with your reiteration of it being about how you say things. :food-smiley-004:

😍 I do love this.

And here you've perfectly summed it up with a bit of positive cynicism. :lol: Good stuff.

JK Rowling was told to shut up during the Scottish independence referendum because she contributed money to the stay campaign and wrote an article describing why she thought so. She was told she wasn't Scottish and should have no say in it

At that time she had lived in Scotland for over 20 years, married to a Scotsman, all of her children aside from the one from her previous relationship born in Scotland, and had given millions to purely Scottish charities.

Anybody who had 5 years residence got a vote.

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, Barack said:

@Kalamazoo Jambo

You down there cheerleading?🤔

Screenshot_20210219-211328_Twitter.jpg

Nope :laugh:

My father in law was required to do a detour earlier due to closed roads though.

Quite seriously, getting emotionally engaged with any politician is probably a mistake. Will defend Biden when he does the right thing and criticize him when he doesn’t (see earlier post about TJ Ducklo as an example).

Nice to see the second greatest city in the world (after Edinburgh) getting a bit of recognition though. Although the dirty secret here is that the Pfizer plant is actually in Portage, MI, not Kalamazoo (but it’s really one big conurbation so near enough).

22 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Should have just let the orange one win. At least he was open about the ***** things that he would do. 

Michael Cohen believes Trump will be convicted of tax evasion and owe a significant sum to the IRS. Thinks he will continue the grift of his 'supporters' to pay for it all. And suspects he may not have left the white house without a secret pardon.

Michael Cohen: Does Donald Trump have a 'secret' pardon?

7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "Who had the most authentically Republican response to millions of Texans losing power and freezing? 1. Gov. Abbott blaming the Green New Deal. 2. Ted Cruz flying to Cancun. 3. Rick Perry saying that given a choice, Texans would rather freeze to death than have gov't @ColMorrisDavis"

This is a toughie. Poll?

I find it disturbing that they can say such things, particularly the part about freezing to death rather than accept what are innocuous regulations. Regulations with no purpose but to improve their energy infrastructure to avoid such scenarios. While it's not seen by the majority of the people as extreme or even insane.

Perhaps it will backfire on them. Some people have been freezing to death including an 11 year old boy who it's suspected died of hypothermia. While millions of others have been experiencing potentially life threatening entirely avoidable depravation.

And i'm pretty sure Perry wasn't even cold far less freezing to death during this disaster.

Apparently some in Texas will be facing power bills in the thousands of dollars just for what was used already this month. What will happen when they can't pay? Cut off to freeze again?

Residents with variable-rate power plans are being hit the hardest. Such plans charge different prices for electricity depending on how much demand there is. The more demand, the higher the price.

After Days Of Mass Outages, Some Texas Residents Now Face Huge Electricity Bills

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Apparently some in Texas will be facing power bills in the thousands of dollars just for what was used already this month. What will happen when they can't pay? Cut off to freeze again?

After Days Of Mass Outages, Some Texas Residents Now Face Huge Electricity Bills

This is the sort of stuff that should kick off revolutions tbh.

9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

possibly posted earlier but one boy has had a bill for around $16k for his electricity bill for the last few weeks

9 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This is the sort of stuff that should kick off revolutions tbh.

The sort of stuff that should make Republican ideology unelectable? That and the party willingness to support a sociopathic loony tune even after he instigated an attack on the capitol in an attempt to steal a democratic election with nothing but conspiracy nonsense.

32 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The sort of stuff that should make Republican ideology unelectable? That and the party willingness to support a sociopathic loony tune even after he instigated an attack on the capitol in an attempt to steal a democratic election with nothing but conspiracy nonsense.

We just need more capitalism.

Supreme Court kills off the final Trump election fraud conspiracy theory lawsuit.

Supreme Court also rules that the Manhattan DA can have access to 8 years of Trump's financial records.

:jjyay:

Kalamazoo Jambo

In news sure to please @Justin Z , Neera Tanden’s confirmation as head of OMB is in trouble, basically because of her mean tweets towards Republicans over the years :laugh:

(edit: yes, she mean tweeted the left too, but that’s not why she’s in trouble)

Hagar the Horrible

In other news Trump took Cyrus Vance to the Supreme court in order to block a move to have his tax returns sheilded from the Manhatton DA.  The supreme court gave a one sentence kick in the jacobs

"The application for a stay presented to Justice Breyer and refered to the Court is denied"

Why is this important, well its another defeat for the serial litigater and it will expose the hush money he paid to have his indestressions hidden.  But a one sentence is a real slap in his little teenieweenie hands

1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

In news sure to please @Justin Z , Neera Tanden’s confirmation as head of OMB is in trouble, basically because of her mean tweets towards Republicans over the years :laugh:

Haha it's so ridiculous, honestly.

But yeah, she's pretty much BlueMAGA personified, and a horrible, horrible individual. America's Priti Patel.

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Haha it's so ridiculous, honestly.

But yeah, she's pretty much BlueMAGA personified, and a horrible, horrible individual. America's Priti Patel.

I wouldn’t go that far but she’s the one who got herself into trouble - not a lot of sympathy from me. I briefly followed her on Twitter a couple of years ago but had to stop within a matter of days due to her scorching hot takes :laugh:

Just now, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I wouldn’t go that far but she’s the one who got herself into trouble - not a lot of sympathy from me. I briefly followed her on Twitter a couple of years ago but had to stop within a matter of days due to her scorching hot takes :laugh:

You sure? :wink:

tanden2.png?auto=compress,format&q=90&w=

Kalamazoo Jambo
11 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

You sure? :wink:

tanden2.png?auto=compress,format&q=90&w=

No denying that’s pretty bad - hadn’t seen that before, thanks. Anyway, given that Manchin, Collins and Romney are all ‘no’, looks hard for her to get 50 votes for confirmation. I guess Murkowski could vote yes but that seems unlikely. If I were Biden I’d move on, but it seems like his team is doubling down on the nomination for now.

I am also awaiting a potential Rahm Emanuel Ambassadorship which would really make my blood boil.

Just now, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I am also awaiting a potential Rahm Emanuel Ambassadorship which would really make my blood boil.

:spoton:

My level of feeling like a mug for voting "blue no matter who" has probably not yet peaked, either

22 minutes ago, Barack said:

Trump's Supreme Court picks really came through for him in these last few weeks.

Lol.

He'll be fuming................then the realization will kick in.............just how much shite he's really in.

Fall like a House of Cards................It's coming, just wait and see.

8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

My level of feeling like a mug for voting "blue no matter who" has probably not yet peaked, either

You had your chance to vote for Donald Trump, and you blew it.  :laugh:

UK68J2l.jpg

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

You had your chance to vote for Donald Trump, and you blew it.  :laugh:

EGDmCdR.gif

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

UK68J2l.jpg

This is amazing!

The Nevada caucuses were around this time last year and I remember the feeling when Bernie easily destroyed everybody else and kept winning primaries. Before the DNC and Obama pulled strings and colluded to siphon everything to Biden, exactly the way they went to court to ensure they could. :oldsad:

Jeffros Furios
28 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Children in cages only matters when Republicans are doing it.

I said to quite a few people last year that with the exception of dealing with Covid ,  Biden will be no better than Trump.

It would be like replacing Boris with Matt Wancock .

15 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I said to quite a few people last year that with the exception of dealing with Covid ,  Biden will be no better than Trump.

It would be like replacing Boris with Matt Wancock .

So far, you were spot on. But at least Biden's not mean on Twitter :rolleyes:

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)