U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Not buying it.  Sorry.

The speech he makes before saying it is deadly serious, then he just chucks in a bit of humour at the end.  Na, not buying it.

I think one of the problems is that there are that many nut job bible thumpers no one knows if someone is serious or not.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I think one of the problems is that there are that many nut job bible thumpers no one knows if someone is serious or not.

They shouldn't be having any kind of prayers in congress anyway.

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Personally, anyone that comes out with any religious nonsense means I can't take them seriously anyway.

Leader of the Proud Boys detained by cops in DC.

Caught with an assault rifle and two large magazines of ammo.

Gun is legal, magazines of up to 10 rounds are legal. :vrface:

The large magazines were what got him nabbed.

Oh, and an outstanding warrant for a hate crime due to burning a BLM flag that was attached to a church the last time he was in DC.

Edited by Cade

Unknown user
51 minutes ago, Cade said:

Oh, and an outstanding warrant for a hate crime due to burning a BLM flag that was attached to a church the last time he was in DC.

McInnes? Absolute ****burger of a man. Scottish parents too.

:facepalm:

I mind a poster on here was adamant the proud boys weren't a hate group. Ironically, this poster uses the word hate more than anyone else I can think of. You can probably guess the details.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Personally, anyone that comes out with any religious nonsense means I can't take them seriously anyway.

Couldn't agree more.

I've no time for that claptrap.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Couldn't agree more.

I've no time for that claptrap.

The church and state are separate, as per the constitution "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

10 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

I wonder if Trump has automatically inherited British citizenship from his mother?

I don't know how long it lasts my daughters, son and daughter used her Scottish birth to obtain British passports, I guess that means they have British Citizenship. It definitely came in handy for the granddaughter who used it when travelling  through Europe'

I watched all I could stand of last nights rally. Trump claimed 25,000 people, there certainly was a large crowd. No or very few masks, no distancing, passing of Covid inevitable. More rambling lies about the election and insults about Biden having a meeting where less than a hundred people attended. He is more to be pitied than scorned, aye right, he's   a dangerous eedjit.

5 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Hell will freeze over before prayers are stopped.  A large segment of the Republican base think that the USA should be a Christian theocracy. 

3 hours ago, Cade said:

That’s them starting to gather for the March in DC tomorrow that Trump is telling people to attend. It’s going to be repulsive.  

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Hell will freeze over before prayers are stopped.  A large segment of the Republican base think that the USA should be a Christian theocracy. 

Yup. God bless America.

4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

The president- and vice president-elect of plagiarism. :facepalm:

I don't see this as of any major importance on any level. All I can see getting into a twist about it are the usual right wing outlets.

The same outlets who were frothing at the mouth because Obama played golf during his presidency but have nothing to say about Trump playing a lot more golf.

The same outlets who accused Obama of being soft on Russia/Putin but have nothing to say about Turmps sycophantic fanboy behavior when it comes to Putin. Nothing to say when he disputes every single crime the intelligence agencies say Russia is guilty of.

And nothing to say about the insane lying of Trump over the past 4 years continuing to this moment with the recent Georgia call debacle.

Harris seemingly repeating an anecdote of King is infinitely more troubling than Trumps indisputable lying, corruption, possible Russian collusion, sociopathy?

Well seemingly to them it is.  

11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

When will the results be announced from Georgia?

I'm presuming late tonight US time or tomorrow. Just minutes ago the BBC reported this.

Elections in the US state of Georgia that will decide control of the Senate are too close to call as polling ends.

I can already envisage further screams from the usual suspects of it's rigged if the Dems very narrowly take both seats. But statements of the people have spoken if the GOP were take them just as narrowly.

A Boy Named Crow
3 minutes ago, Rodger Mellie said:

Looks like the Dems have both seats in the bag. Hope so, I want my 2 grand stimulus cheque.

What makes you so sure? 

12 minutes ago, Rodger Mellie said:

Looks like the Dems have both seats in the bag. Hope so, I want my 2 grand stimulus cheque.

My wife and I got $1200 yesterday. That's $600 each. Are you saying we would get another $2,000 each?

Rodger Mellie
10 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

What makes you so sure? 

I’m just reading the Guardian’s US election live page. The info on there suggests it’s looking good for the Dems.

A Boy Named Crow
4 minutes ago, Rodger Mellie said:

I’m just reading the Guardian’s US election live page. The info on there suggests it’s looking good for the Dems.

Goodo.

I have no skin in the game,  don't live in the States, so the outcome shouldn't really matter too much to me...but I really can't stand the Republicans. They make my skin crawl!

Rodger Mellie
5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

My wife and I got $1200 yesterday. That's $600 each. Are you saying we would get another $2,000 each?

Just spoke my wife and we both recently received $600. I was under the impression the Dems wanted to increase the checks to $2000 but Mitch McConnell wasn’t willing to go that high.  If Dems hold power in the Senate I’m hoping this will happen.  

Rodger Mellie
1 minute ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Goodo.

I have no skin in the game,  don't live in the States, so the outcome shouldn't really matter too much to me...but I really can't stand the Republicans. They make my skin crawl!

👍 The Republican Party will be at war with each other after they lose these two seats! 

2 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Goodo.

While I always like to have money thrown at me it's not my major stake in this. I would take Democrats winning and no potential money at all rather than Republicans winning and giving me $4,000.

And I think the outcome while more important for those of us living in the country than those who are not still has major consequences globally. And particularly so in the Western world.

The more power the Democrats can accrue at this time the more likely we may see changes to prevent a disaster like Trump ever happening again. And more likely to see full exposures of all his corrupt/criminal machinations. And those of the Republican enablers.

Trump must be fully exposed as a criminal lunatic. Vilified to such an extent that the very name is used almost like a curse. And those who enabled it likened to the cohorts of Hitler.

Captain Slog

Gabriel Sterling seems to be the only Republican coming through the last few months with any merit, standing up to Trump despite the threats, and his own political leanings.

If the Republicans win it will be "The good people of Georgia have spoken."  If the Republicans lose it will be another round of lawsuits and claims of illegal votes and screams of stolen elections.

Kalamazoo Jambo

It now looks extremely likely that both Warnock and Ossoff will win the Georgia Senate seats, meaning a 50-50 senate with Kamala Harris having the deciding vote once she’s VP and the Georgia Senate election results are certified / Warnock and Ossoff are sworn in (could be a delay there).

Captain Slog
4 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Warnocks pulled ahead too, though its going to be a long wait till lunchtime to find out

After the latest batch of ballots were posted, David Perdue leads Jon Ossoff by less than 500 votes, out of more than 4 million ballots cast.

The race between Raphael Warnock and Kelly Loeffler is not quite as close, as Warnock leads his Republican opponent by about 34,000 votes.

As of now, about 95% of the expected vote in Georgia has been counted.

Kalamazoo Jambo
8 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

After the latest batch of ballots were posted, David Perdue leads Jon Ossoff by less than 500 votes, out of more than 4 million ballots cast.

The race between Raphael Warnock and Kelly Loeffler is not quite as close, as Warnock leads his Republican opponent by about 34,000 votes.

As of now, about 95% of the expected vote in Georgia has been counted.

I’m now 100% confident that, barring a significant tabulation error, Warnock and Ossoff have both won. The remaining votes to be counted skew heavily Democratic. Ossoff’s victory could still be within 0.5% which would mean an automatic recount, but that shouldn’t change the result.

28 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I’m now 100% confident that, barring a significant tabulation error, Warnock and Ossoff have both won. The remaining votes to be counted skew heavily Democratic. Ossoff’s victory could still be within 0.5% which would mean an automatic recount, but that shouldn’t change the result.

They counted the general election votes in Georgia 3 times and that didn't settle it. Or at least not in Trumpland it didn't.

Kalamazoo Jambo
6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

They counted the general election votes in Georgia 3 times and that didn't settle it. Or at least not in Trumpland it didn't.

Facts don’t care about Trumpland’s feelings, though.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Joe Manchin (conservative Democratic Senator from West Virginia) will now wield a massive amount of influence. Not great but still better than a Republican controlled Senate.

Captain Slog

Warnock has just delivered a message stating that he's going to the Senate, and urging unity - he's confident he's won.

There's an opinion that if the Dems take both seats it will be down to Trumps insanity. The irony. They should have impeached him when they had the chance. Now they're crashing and burning with him.

One takeaway from the results tonight is that Republican fears seem to have materialized when it came to runoff turnout. They were concerned that their base voters might not be as motivated to turn out because of Trump’s rhetoric surrounding election fraud and the legitimacy of the vote in November.

There was a lag in early voting in heavily Republican areas, such as northwest Georgia, so the GOP hoped that Election Day turnout would make up for it.

However, if we look at counties where 99 percent of the expected vote has been reported, it seems Republicans were right to be worried.

The more heavily a county backed Trump in the November general election, the more its runoff turnout tended to drop relative the general.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/georgia-senate-election-results/#300505

Captain Slog

The Ossoff campaign says “we fully expect that Jon Ossoff will have won”.

Ossoff’s campaign manager, Ellen Foster, has released the following statement:

When all the votes are counted we fully expect that Jon Ossoff will have won this election to represent Georgia in the United States Senate. The outstanding vote is squarely in parts of the state where Jon’s performance has been dominant. We look forward to seeing the process through in the coming hours and moving ahead so Jon can start fighting for all Georgians in the U.S. Senate.”

Warnock has been declared to have won while the other Dem Ossoff is being predicted to win after having established a lead with 98% of the vote counted.

John Gentleman
37 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Warnock has been declared to have won while the other Dem Ossoff is being predicted to win after having established a lead with 98% of the vote counted.

I'd never have predicted that. I thought, at best, the Dems would snare one of them.

Seriously pissed off Dem voters or disillusioned GOP voters? Maybe a mixture of both?

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Harris seemingly repeating an anecdote of King is infinitely more troubling than Trumps indisputable lying, corruption, possible Russian collusion, sociopathy?

She didn't repeat an anecdote of King. She plagiarised it and passed it off as her own.

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't see this as of any major importance on any level. All I can see getting into a twist about it are the usual right wing outlets.

Correct. You know why? Because the likes of CNN, MSNBC, and the rest of the mainstream media don't hold Democratic politicians to account, so of course they're not getting into a twist about it.

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

The same outlets who accused Obama of being soft on Russia/Putin but have nothing to say about Turmps sycophantic fanboy behavior when it comes to Putin. Nothing to say when he disputes every single crime the intelligence agencies say Russia is guilty of.

Exactly. The outlets you refer to are insane and do nothing to help the political discourse. But the ones on the other side stood idly by while Obama did nothing to prosecute the wall street criminals responsible for the 2008 financial crash and bailed out banks, not people. With congressional majorities and money to burn, he gave money to Wall Street instead of the regular people hurt by their greed. Crickets.

These same outlets yawned as he sent drones to Syria, Libya, Yemen, bombing weddings and American citizens who weren't even adults.

And dozens more examples. So go ahead and get more upset about how bad right wing media is, instead of staying on the topic of how ridiculous it is to plagiarise MLK and pass his words off as one's own. Go ahead and act like this is the first bit of uncouthness in her record. Keep playing the tribalism game instead of holding Dems to account and see how bad things look after the 2022 elections.

They now have absolutely no excuses with control of the Senate. This is their opportunity to do something for long-suffering people in the most dire of straits. We'll see.

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

She didn't repeat an anecdote of King. She plagiarised it and passed it off as her own.

Correct. You know why? Because the likes of CNN, MSNBC, and the rest of the mainstream media don't hold Democratic politicians to account, so of course they're not getting into a twist about it.

Exactly. The outlets you refer to are insane and do nothing to help the political discourse. But the ones on the other side stood idly by while Obama did nothing to prosecute the wall street criminals responsible for the 2008 financial crash and bailed out banks, not people. With congressional majorities and money to burn, he gave money to Wall Street instead of the regular people hurt by their greed. Crickets.

These same outlets yawned as he sent drones to Syria, Libya, Yemen, bombing weddings and American citizens who weren't even adults.

And dozens more examples. So go ahead and get more upset about how bad right wing media is, instead of staying on the topic of how ridiculous it is to plagiarise MLK and pass his words off as one's own. Go ahead and act like this is the first bit of uncouthness in her record. Keep playing the tribalism game instead of holding Dems to account and see how bad things look after the 2022 elections.

They now have absolutely no excuses with control of the Senate. This is their opportunity to do something for long-suffering people in the most dire of straits. We'll see.

I have no 'tribe' to fall into line with when it comes to American politics. I payed it little to no attention at all prior to Trump. It always struck me as frankly infantile. But Trump took the infantile insanity to such levels I had to take an interest. 

Prior to that I had witnessed US politicians pretending the world is brand new to humour religious nutcases. While here in Oklahoma we had the sight of a politician walking into the state capitol building during Winter holding a snowball and saying effectively so much for your fake global warming.

I have a snowball in Winter. There goes your climate science. How could I ever take such a pantomime environment seriously?

All i'm saying is that this Harris thing and an MLK anecdote is so trivial as to be not even register. So trivial even the right will quickly become bored with it.

26 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

I'd never have predicted that. I thought, at best, the Dems would snare one of them.

Seriously pissed off Dem voters or disillusioned GOP voters? Maybe a mixture of both?

I wouldn't have predicted it even following the general election. In fact wouldn't have thought it at all until maybe the past week or so. There was a feeling going round that everybody including many republicans were simply suffering Trump fatigue.

He wouldn't let go with the rigged election drivel despite the fact everyone knew it was ludicrous. Many thought well it's just Trump in public playing to the low IQ base. In private he knows it's utter nonsense.

Then came that phone call just days ago. Perhaps the straw that finally broke the camels back and convinced people this cretin is truly insane. Everyone heard him spinning this utter shite to these educated rational people as if they should listen intently and be convinced.

Convinced by nothing but already fully debunked simple minded internet conspiracy junk. This wasn't him playing to the base. This was him in private speaking to a Republican secretary of State.

Now if that's not full blown insanity what is? Perhaps it frightened enough people to spell the end of Trump and the Republican conspiracy cult.   

9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I have no 'tribe' to fall into line with when it comes to American politics. I payed it little to no attention at all prior to Trump. It always struck me as frankly infantile. But Trump took the infantile insanity to such levels I had to take an interest.

You may strongly believe you have no tribe. But if you easily see the insanity of one side and handwave away the dereliction of duty of the other, you're not neutral.

Ultimately we're going to end up with a president who received zero votes in the Democratic primary, not unlike the unelected prime ministers here in recent years. This establishment hand-picked president-to-be's has been nurturing a bullshit mythos around herself. Her lifting Dr. King's words as her own may be down the totem pole in terms of severity, but it's all part of an extremely worrying pattern of behaviour one can trace throughout her career.

Then again, it may not be down the totem pole, depending on your perspective. Ask a Black leftist what they think of the most high profile Black politician at present contributing to the whitewashing of Dr. King's politics and legacy, and see what happens.

3 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Facts don’t care about Trumpland’s feelings, though.

Trumpland doesn't care about facts either, well only if it suits them.

5 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

You may strongly believe you have no tribe. But if you easily see the insanity of one side and handwave away the dereliction of duty of the other, you're not neutral.

Ultimately we're going to end up with a president who received zero votes in the Democratic primary, not unlike the unelected prime ministers here in recent years. This establishment hand-picked president-to-be's has been nurturing a bullshit mythos around herself. Her lifting Dr. King's words as her own may be down the totem pole in terms of severity, but it's all part of an extremely worrying pattern of behaviour one can trace throughout her career.

Then again, it may not be down the totem pole, depending on your perspective. Ask a Black leftist what they think of the most high profile Black politician at present contributing to the whitewashing of Dr. King's politics and legacy, and see what happens.

I have a tribe because I think taking someone's anecdote is trivial? It's trivial in any meaningful sense. What happens next in actual politics is what matters. And I will probably quickly return to being disinterested aside form watching Trump crash and burn.

A Boy Named Crow
3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I have a tribe because I think taking someone's anecdote is trivial? It's trivial in any meaningful sense. What happens next in actual politics is what matters. And I will probably quickly return to being disinterested aside form watching Trump crash and burn.

I think this is the big win for most folk. With Trump gone, replaced by a career politician who will no doubt paint inside the lines for as long as he's in office, all but the most die-hard political enthusiasts will lose interst and we can all get on with other things, more interesting things. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)