U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Seymour M Hersh

Think the guy's a narrcissistic bully but he was democratically elected......unlike May.

Call an election, ya poor Thatcher tribute act !

Brown wasn't elected either.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trumps words it would seem offend more than bombing people.

Trumps words it would seem worry more people than actual regime changing through violence.

Trumps words it would seem offend more people than state enforced misogyny.

Its farcical and those concerned about x factor politics are the ones most indulgent in it.

I don't think they do. However, in a democracy ordinary people can cause change through protest and counter argument. The marches in the USA can influence the views of elected representatives. The people who will have a say on The Donald's choice of new Supreme Court judge who Donald has said will be there to repeal Roe v Wade.

It's easier to do something about that than to call for the downfall of the Saudi regieme which is outwith their power.

Equally, why does one protest against what Trump represents negate the other campaigns on going, other marches and groups who are fighting those causes daily.

This reaction is the beginning of the American left's new Tea Party and Birtger movements. The counter to Trump.

Yes he was. Kirkcaldy elected him.

We don't have a Presidential system. It's about your seat and the total outcome of seats. Not the leader.

I don't think they do. However, in a democracy ordinary people can cause change through protest and counter argument. The marches in the USA can influence the views of elected representatives. The people who will have a say on The Donald's choice of new Supreme Court judge who Donald has said will be there to repeal Roe v Wade.

It's easier to do something about that than to call for the downfall of the Saudi regieme which is outwith their power.

Equally, why does one protest against what Trump represents negate the other campaigns on going, other marches and groups who are fighting those causes daily.

This reaction is the beginning of the American left's new Tea Party and Birtger movements. The counter to Trump.

If they dont then why were the same people not protesting at state sponsored violence by the previous president?

The same people protesting against Clintons hand holding with regimes that put into practice the things they accuse trump of.

But in a far more brutal way?

Jailing people for exposing crimes.

Record deportation of immigrants.

Bombs dropped every single day.

Where were these warriors for justice ?

So as i said trumps words offended more.

With heavyweight political actresses leading the way.

Farcical.

X factor politics.

We don't have a Presidential system. It's about your seat and the total outcome of seats. Not the leader.

I am fully aware of this, guys. I'm talking in the context of not being Prime Minister at the time of a General Election. Brown and May are not unique in this regard of course but it's a given that it doesn't harm their political life if they are in the hot seat and win an election.

Seymour M Hersh

While I realise this and agree with you, Maidenhead elected TM, my point in response to the poster still stands. 

Craig Gordons Gloves

Fake news? Any more word on the MLK bronze bust?

Peaceful protesting or smashing other people's property?

Where did I mention the bust? Where did I mention the violent protests? I don't believe there was violent protesting yesterday.

But hey, you keep up with the 'what about...' deflects from the fact that your favored president is a bare face liar.

Where is it revealed that the guy is a CNN cameraman?

All the anchor said was that he knew the guy from his time in Africa as a cameraman, doesn't mean that they were both with CNN at the time.

Straw blanket clutching safety. Try your own eyes and common sense. What are you seeing there. Is it contrived or not? The truth about it is out there but for goodness sake.

Straw blanket clutching safety. Try your own eyes and common sense. What are you seeing there. Is it contrived or not? The truth about it is out there but for goodness sake.

I wasn't aware people who work in the media can't attend protests? Lots of people I k ow attended marches yesterday. Those people included journalists, photographers, and other people who work in the media. And not a single one was there doing a job for anyone, they were there in their own time voicing their own opinion, not the opinion of their employer.

Thunderstruck

I don't always have time for Rod Liddle but his column today does highlight some of the absurdities in the anti-Trump protests.

His last sentence: 'But I was aware there were people who would look at this march and think "I'm not sure about Trump, but if if these idiots are against him, maybe he's got a point." '

Straw blanket clutching safety. Try your own eyes and common sense. What are you seeing there. Is it contrived or not? The truth about it is out there but for goodness sake.

And even if he were a CNN cameraman how does that make him a 'Fake Trump Protestor'?

If he was out on the streets supporting Donald Trump would that make him a 'Fake Trump Supporter'?

It would have to be, going by your theology that he has to be 'Fake', simply because he happens to work for CNN.

Space Mackerel

I don't always have time for Rod Liddle but his column today does highlight some of the absurdities in the anti-Trump protests.

His last sentence: 'But I was aware there were people who would look at this march and think "I'm not sure about Trump, but if if these idiots are against him, maybe he's got a point." '

You've been watching Peirs Morgan on the Andrew Marr Show on BBC Catch Up you cheeky scamp.

And even if he were a CNN cameraman how does that make him a 'Fake Trump Protestor'?

If he was out on the streets supporting Donald Trump would that make him a 'Fake Trump Supporter'?

It would have to be, going by your theology that he has to be 'Fake', simply because he happens to work for CNN.

Ffs.

Aye right ok then.

Pwease hilary sue them.

Laughable

That march yesterday was co-organised by pro-Sharia Linda Sarsour. Look her up.

Sounds like something that Alex Jones would make up but it is utterly true. Modern fourth wave western 'feminism' - Beyond f7%cking parody. Please don't hold your breath waiting for the Beeb to pick this little nugget up.

Nothing, he's just ranting incoherently. Best tactic is to ignore him.

Think if you watch the video its the coincidental cameraman whose ranting.

But ignore me .

Tactics though?

Are there teams on here like?

Sounds like something that Alex Jones would make up but it is utterly true. Modern fourth wave western 'feminism' - Beyond f7%cking parody. Please don't hold your breath waiting for the Beeb to pick this little nugget up.

No no no elvoys only anti trump voters can discuss islamic connections.

You must not mention the partners in these organised marches oops sorry these organic protests .

Oh oh, that won't suit the snowflakes

It's utterly unimportant in the long run, but the incredibly low turnout at his "yuge" inauguration is at least funny for now.

comparison-withtime-1024x576.jpg

Hillary's Inauguration Crowd..........  :tumbleweed:

C2u5zOBWEAA23He.jpg
Edited by Hendricks

Maybe I don't understand ant of this but, I was just wondering what human rights men have that women don't?

Maybe I don't understand ant of this but, I was just wondering what human rights men have that women don't?

Thinks it's more the rights men don't have a need for - ie the right to have an abortion - and the enforcement and the furthering of pay equality that are two key things here. Plus the whole respect women, pussy grabbing isn't good thing too.

Thinks it's more the rights men don't have a need for - ie the right to have an abortion - and the enforcement and the furthering of pay equality that are two key things here. Plus the whole respect women, pussy grabbing isn't good thing too.

Where was the protest abt bill Clinton?!

Anyway looks like he pulling the trade deals so opposed by the left.

If you think the EU was bad wait till you see American companies boss their way through the courts against environmental laws, against employment laws, against other UK companies. Or their agricultural products like chlorinated chicken and other such yummy good for you things. Fracking anyone!?

I'm not opposed to free trade, in fact I am all for it. But it has to be trade which is sustainable, good for the majority of the people, our environment and isn't just flogging the fanily silverware.

Obviously the likes of the Three Brexiteers in these roles won't and don't buy light tax, low regulation, low pay and a pro-business line when it comes to trade and economics...

...also America First... suggests in itself these deals won't be great for non-Americans.

Where was the protest abt bill Clinton?!

Think his affair was consensual. Nor do I recall his attempts and policies regarding the reversal of Roe v Wade. Which Mr Trump wishes to see happen. Nor did the comeback kid ever criticise hos female opposition with crass remarks about their looks. Or suggest women journalists were asking hard questions because they were having their periods. Or that women using planned parenthood should be punished...

...but aye. Same thing.

Human rights?

Think his affair was consensual. Nor do I recall his attempts and policies regarding the reversal of Roe v Wade. Which Mr Trump wishes to see happen. Nor did the comeback kid ever criticise hos female opposition with crass remarks about their looks. Or suggest women journalists were asking hard questions because they were having their periods. Or that women using planned parenthood should be punished...

...but aye. Same thing.

His affair?! No, I'm talking about the numerous rape allegations which is just a tad worse than President Trump's private comment

Human rights?

I would count the right for a woman to chose whether she has a baby or not a basic right.

Equality in pay can be considered a right to be viewed as equal to a man in all aspects.

They aren't being denied the vote or being tortured, but I reckon the right to equal treatment, respect and to choose are pretty substantial rights.

I would count the right for a woman to chose whether she has a baby or not a basic right.

Equality in pay can be considered a right to be viewed as equal to a man in all aspects.

They aren't being denied the vote or being tortured, but I reckon the right to equal treatment, respect and to choose are pretty substantial rights.

You really try too hard.

His affair?! No, I'm talking about the numerous rape allegations which is just a tad worse than President Trump's private comment

So unproven allegations against Bill Clinton mean Trump's desire to reverse Roe v Wade is ok?

You really try too hard.

Not really. The mind boggles at the fact people don't think this new President is quite frankly bonkers. Watch that inauguration speech? Was pretty off the rails.

America First was the slogan employed by the likes of Charles Lindberg and his fellow isolationists and Nazi appeasers back in the 1930s and 40s. Not calling Trump a Nazi but he could have chosen a less tarnished slogan.

So it's worse for President Trump to say a comment than numerous people accusing a person of rape?!

You've probably never even been to the states so don't know why you're getting all upset about the democratic election

Not really. The mind boggles at the fact people don't think this new President is quite frankly bonkers. Watch that inauguration speech? Was pretty off the rails.

America First was the slogan employed by the likes of Charles Lindberg and his fellow isolationists and Nazi appeasers back in the 1930s and 40s. Not calling Trump a Nazi but he could have chosen a less tarnished slogan.

So it's wrong to want to put your country first?

Not at all. But when hasn't America put itself first since 1945?

Equally, no nation is an island of itself. Why should America not respect her treaty obligations on defence, trade, international law and climate change? The reprecussions will be huge to us all and these things require give and take.

So it's worse for President Trump to say a comment than numerous people accusing a person of rape?!

You've probably never even been to the states so don't know why you're getting all upset about the democratic election

I'm not upset. I'm puzzled how you can't seem to grasp that other people seem to have fears that this man, based on the fact he is now President and wants to see Roe v Wade overturned, might not be great for women. Or even the LGBT community. Or immigrants. Or muslims.

You know, all the people on his campaign hit list.

He's the most un-American President I've ever heard speak. The kind of things he is talking about are the beginnings of slippery slopes which lead to segregating people and marginalising groups of people because of what they are. That is worrying.

I would say they have all those rights. Especially here in the UK and the majority of mainland Europe. I would argue that no one has the right to a baby whether female or male. Each of my three children I see as a gift.

I would say they have all those rights. Especially here in the UK and the majority of mainland Europe. I would argue that no one has the right to a baby whether female or male. Each of my three children I see as a gift.

I never argued a right to a child. Nor are these rights under threat here. These marchers here did so in solidarity with people in America who fear that Trump will erode their rights based on his canpaign pronouncements.

I don't live in abject poverty or in a war zone but I've marched at things like make poverty history and anti-war marches.

Anyway- I'm off to bed.

I never argued a right to a child. Nor are these rights under threat here. These marchers here did so in solidarity with people in America who fear that Trump will erode their rights based on his canpaign pronouncements.

I don't live in abject poverty or in a war zone but I've marched at things like make poverty history and anti-war marches.

Anyway- I'm off to bed.

It's also a cheap day out and gives them another topic of conversation at their next dinner party. 

Well, wee nippy will never be invited.

Weird, you're pro trump, pro brexit but anti Indy.

American Nationalism and British Nationalism are great, But not Scottish.

Only if you're Scottish, apparently.

It's quite funny that Scots who usually claim people as their own, have deefied trump the German.

N.Ireland?

The nature of Islams relationship to women really is more straight forward than you are suggesting despite the obscurant attempts. Don't confuse Bangladeshs post war clenching to secularism or Pakistan's dynastic nepotism with the outcomes of the ideology. Both examples were despite of the religion not because of. There is nothing self moderating in its unreformed state. And that is an appaling metric to suggest Pakistan is somehow more progressive in aspects of equality than USA but ive heard it before. Go straight to the source trilogy or the four schools of jurisprudence or the prophet himself. Women's testimony is worth half that of a man so for starters there is no equality before the law where sharia is present. Second, wear a shield (ie hijab, niqab, burqa) because your sexual identity is not yours but is entwined with the honour of the tribe. Thirdly female 'cutting' is explicitly mandated, the apologists excuse that its cultural is another slight of hand. You can thank civilisation or the degree of common sense where you think you see a fair shot for women but again that is thanks to the degree of absence of this retrograde cults influence. I would still not in million years wish my daughter to be afforded the rights of say a woman in Morocco.

The notion that this pointing out of the nauseous double standards of the modern day indulgent 'liberals' is a right wing cause says everything about how far the moral compass is skewed on the left today.

And for what its worth I've at no point suggested Trump is anything but an oafish lououth unfit for this job but ive also always been clear a big part of his success is because of the mendacious edifice that the supposed moral arbitrars of the west have built.

Outstanding.

Anyway- I'm off to bed.

That is your right in a democracy to do so. Personally believe you are misguided in doing so. In a democracy it is my right to believe you are misguided. Trump won't erode anyone's rights. One thing you learn or should learn from an early age is that what politicians say, regardless of what party they are from and what they actually do are two completely different things.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)