U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

I've always been curious at to what would happen if a non-professional politician finally got in a decent office of power somewhere in the world, then you remember every time it has happened, carnage has followed.

Russia, Germany, China, Cambodia...the list goes on. Now we have the Philippines and the US.

I may hate pro politicians with a passion, the likes of Blair and Cameron, but **** me they make you realise that sometimes, the lesser of the two evils is a good thing.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is different though.

The people who were there pre Trump were hidden in the swamp, their links hidden

Like the Tony Blair years here

Whereas Thatcher was an up-front BITCH - but you new that - there was no smoothing, greasing or sliming

Good on him

Lets see how it goes

And I find the rage of the luvvies very amusing, considering the pampered, tax evading, self aggrandising a-holes that they are

I hope they implode

What is different is the persona Trump very successfully projected to win the backing of many versus the make up of his cabinet and what they all actually stand for.

What is similar is the apparent utter cluelessness of both Trump and the likes of Perry and DeVos regarding matters which should be critically important to those leading the US.

Edited by Peebo

Only 58% of the American Electorate bothered to even vote.

I really don't think America truly care that he's president. The media and a vocal minority make us think otherwise of course.

I'd be surprised if the inauguration goes ahead to be honest.  There is a gathering of around 4 women outside the Edinburgh US consulate tomorrow in protest.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2017/01/womens-march-on-edinburgh-21-january-2017/

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjV08uq3dDRAhUEtBoKHaqWDw8QFgguMAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.womensgrid.org.uk%2F%3Fp%3D1566&usg=AFQjCNHAKlf8vrjOOKc1sWwjhD_PHg-sGQ

Edited by i8hibsh

I believe there is also a banner hanging over Waverley Bridge.

Unsure if it says Phoodle Out on the back.

Struggling with some kind of change to JKB on quoting. Or maybe it's my browser.

Anyway....

Line of succession is President, VP, Speaker of the House (Ryan), President Pro Tempre of the Senate (largely a ceremonial position, held by Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch), then down the cabinet Secretaries in the order that they are declared in the Constitution and subsequent amendments.  No special election held.  As such, the line of succession is a continuous line of extremely conservative politicians at the moment.

Does the VP appoint a new VP if he/she becomes President?

And if so, do they become the new second-in-line?

I really don't think America truly care that he's president. The media and a vocal minority make us think otherwise of course.

It's a bit of a misleading statistic as it doesn't really matter whether or not you vote in a lot of states. Texas is always going Republican and California is always going Democrat. The election result is always going to hang on a few states like North Carolina. You also have to take account of the fact that the voter suppression tactics used by the Republicans have been very successful in some states.

Edited by Stokesy

Yes, clearly a huge proportion didn't vote, and can be assumed to be disengaged in the Presidential election process. However, as Presidents go, I suspect this one provokes more emotion than the majority of predecessors. Loads of people care: either loving him or hating him. In terms of the people who do actually care about politics, there may well be much less indifference than normal.

Does the VP appoint a new VP if he/she becomes President?

And if so, do they become the new second-in-line?

Between elections, the House Speaker would becom the VP (I think).

I believe there is also a banner hanging over Waverley Bridge.

Unsure if it says Phoodle Out on the back.

If it is written on a bed sheet then Trump may as well just cancel it for good.

Edited by i8hibsh

Between elections, the House Speaker would becom the VP (I think).

Only de facto. He retains his office as a congressman and senator.

Nixon lost Spiro Agnew midterm and appointed Gerald Ford. Ford was appointed to the post through the nomination process through the senate.

I have followed the Trumpanator since the primaries.

As someone who does not live in the States, and is a regular viewer of CNN, I feel as I have been well advised on this thread totally non qualified to comment, but I will anyway.

Alec Baldwin is more Presidential in his skits on SNL than Trump ever has or ever will be.

Trumps portrayals of Mussolini were amateur, at the best, but in reality he could end up like old Benito having a relationship with a lamp post.

I doubt he will be assasssinated, security will be too strong, it is too highly anticipated that attempts will be made.

I suspect there is a higher possibility he will be impeached at some stage.

I have stated my view from the beginning, it was the worst offering of choices for President in my lifetime, concluding with the absolute for us all worst choice.

I have lived through WW2, Palestine, Korea, Suez Crisis, and the Cuban missile threat, and many other wars, but what we could end up with now doesn't really affect me I am way too old, but I do worry for all of you, and particularly my own young family.

I have followed the Trumpanator since the primaries.

As someone who does not live in the States, and is a regular viewer of CNN, I feel as I have been well advised on this thread totally non qualified to comment, but I will anyway.

Alec Baldwin is more Presidential in his skits on SNL than Trump ever has or ever will be.

Trumps portrayals of Mussolini were amateur, at the best, but in reality he could end up like old Benito having a relationship with a lamp post.

I doubt he will be assasssinated, security will be too strong, it is too highly anticipated that attempts will be made.

I suspect there is a higher possibility he will be impeached at some stage.

I have stated my view from the beginning, it was the worst offering of choices for President in my lifetime, concluding with the absolute for us all worst choice.

I have lived through WW2, Palestine, Korea, Suez Crisis, and the Cuban missile threat, and many other wars, but what we could end up with now doesn't really affect me I am way too old, but I do worry for all of you, and particularly my own young family.

He's more likely to be shot by a supporter, if he doesn't do what he said he'll do.

He's more likely to be shot by a supporter, if he doesn't do what he said he'll do.

Being a Scottish Supremacist aussieh I thought you would like Trump as he has the bloodline?

Being a Scottish Supremacist aussieh I thought you would like Trump as he has the bloodline?

Have you seen the scum dressed in black with hoods in Washington? If they were blacks they'd be shot dead.

As for the Scottish supremacist comment. Nae just confidence in Scotland, but you bang on about being anti religious while voting for a kingdom.

• A country that prides itself on religious freedom
  • A secular country
  • A Global Powerhouse
  • The US First amendment
  • The most diverse country on the planet

Praying to the Christian Sky fairy before the President can be elected

:facepalm: x infinity squared

Edited by i8hibsh

We all know celebrities are fake but the fact very few are too scared of ruining their public image to attach themselves to Trump is truly pathetic.  I am sorry but as a fact many celebrities in the US would have voted Trump, why are they all so pathetically scared to show face?

We all know celebrities are fake but the fact very few are too scared of ruining their public image to attach themselves to Trump is truly pathetic. I am sorry but as a fact many celebrities in the US would have voted Trump, why are they all so pathetically scared to show face?

Proof of your fact please.

We all know celebrities are fake but the fact very few are too scared of ruining their public image to attach themselves to Trump is truly pathetic. I am sorry but as a fact many celebrities in the US would have voted Trump, why are they all so pathetically scared to show face?

End of their careers albeit Trump could afford to compensate them

Free choice in the free country

Proof of your fact please.

Law of averages show that many celebrities will have voted Trump.  Unless celebrities vote differently to the entire country?

"Only America first" and uses world 'protection'

See what that means

Free trade vs protecting American business from competition. Hasn't worked anywhere else.

"Only America first" and uses world 'protection'

See what that means

Free trade vs protecting American business from competition. Hasn't worked anywhere else.

Good luck rUK trying to get a trade deal with uncle Sam. :rofl:

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)