U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

7 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I'm more concerned about how they influence the 2024 election TBH

Social media needs reined in quickly.

BUT......  It's already too late.

I watched that social dilemma on netflix a few months back. Scared the shit out of me. Pandoras box well and truly opened it seems

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

I watched that social dilemma on netflix a few months back. Scared the shit out of me. Pandoras box well and truly opened it seems

Not seen it, but if it is based in reality, it's already too late.

Social media has the world by the balls, or vagina, depending on which genitals you are born with.

Edited by Lovecraft

42 minutes ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

:rofl:

GIRFUY

Yes indeed, he's the victim. Come on you lot, he was only trying to carry out a destructive, violent, anti democratic revolution. Can't you all just move on?

11 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Not seen it, but if it is based in reality, it's already too late.

Social media has the world by the balls, or vagina, depending on which genitals you are born with.

Everybody should see it, and especially so those who live their lives on those networks. It's subtle mind control on a scale unimaginable to previous generations.

In addition to the Trump supporters insisting that left wing groups infiltrated the insurgents storming the capitol there was one other slightly disturbing comment that the inauguration won't happen.

Given the numbers of these fascists and how heavily armed they are I do fear a potential bloodbath on the 20th.

13 minutes ago, frankblack said:

In addition to the Trump supporters insisting that left wing groups infiltrated the insurgents storming the capitol

That particular total shite will quickly unravel. We're going to see a stream of charges. And when those charged are scrutinised I predict we will quickly find a long history of rabid Trump support all over social media from every last one of them. The dead woman is just one example.

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

PGA take away 2022 championship from Trump's New Jersey? course. 

This is one more way to take him down once and for all. Any institution or corporation enrichening him in any way should now be ostracizing him. Then the criminals charges can be rolled out to bleed him dry thorough legal fees while the banks call in their loans.

12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Very good speech, but a bit of an OG from Arnie denouncing violence and then using a big **** off sword as part of his analogy 🙄

It also occurred to me that all of them should be facing up to 10 years in jail just for entering that building. Because by chance just last year their cult leader, Donnie 'marmalade Mussolini' Trump, signed an executive order covering vandalism of national monuments. He was thinking of BLM protestors attacking confederate statues and the like. But I'm thinking that building itself and the statues within it are national monuments.

A few snippets from that order. Think of how that looks now. I highlighted some significant parts of it.

Executive Order on Protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues and Combating Recent Criminal Violence

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Many of the rioters, arsonists, and left-wing extremists who have carried out and supported these acts have explicitly identified themselves with ideologies — such as Marxism — that call for the destruction of the United States system of government.

They have led riots in the streets, burned police vehicles, killed and assaulted government officers, and even seized an area within one city where law and order gave way to anarchy.

These criminal acts are frequently planned and supported by agitators who have traveled across State lines to promote their own violent agenda. These radicals shamelessly attack the legitimacy of our institutions and the very rule of law itself.

Key targets in the violent extremists’ campaign against our country are public monuments, memorials, and statues.

My Administration will not allow violent mobs incited by a radical fringe to become the arbiters of the aspects of our history that can be celebrated in public spaces. State and local public officials’ abdication of their law enforcement responsibilities in deference to this violent assault must end.

It is the policy of the United States to prosecute to the fullest extent permitted under Federal law, and as appropriate, any person or any entity that destroys, damages, vandalizes, or desecrates a monument, memorial, or statue within the United States or otherwise vandalizes government property.

The desire of the Congress to protect Federal property is clearly reflected in section 1361 of title 18, United States Code, which authorizes a penalty of up to 10 years’ imprisonment for the willful injury of Federal property.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-protecting-american-monuments-memorials-statues-combating-recent-criminal-violence/

Yep, you said it Donnie. 'Lock them up'

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

This is one more way to take him down once and for all. Any institution or corporation enrichening him in any way should now be ostracizing him. Then the criminals charges can be rolled out to bleed him dry thorough legal fees while the banks call in their loans.

I had thought his business empire would start going defunct within the next 3-5 years, I'm now gonna say in less than 2 years Trump will be filing for bankruptcy for some of his businesses, maybe even earlier now.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Does he have any social media platform now?

Tik-tok, the Chinese owned app that he's been trying to ban... :lol:

6 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I'm sure there are Dark Web messenger tools he could also switch to, used mainly by terrorists and organised criminals, which is largely who he is trying to reach out to.

8 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Really?🤣🤣

Days after her own office was ransacked by Trump supporters, the speaker of the House talks to Lesley Stahl about what she experienced that day and more.

Nancy Pelosi: The 2021 60 Minutes interview

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Top Trump-ally Chris Christie calls for Trump’s impeachment

Excellent stuff from Brian Cohen.

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I'm sure there are Dark Web messenger tools he could also switch to, used mainly by terrorists and organised criminals, which is largely who he is trying to reach out to.

He could, but he wouldn't get the audience he craves. Privacy and anonymity are sorta the whole point of the deep/dark web. 

17 hours ago, Smithee said:

FB_IMG_1610297907128.jpg.fc47b89a4a5087e617dad30013f757c0.jpg

Someone with better photoshop skills than myself needs to put Sean Hannity's and Tucker Carlson's heads onto the dogs.

6 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

He could, but he wouldn't get the audience he craves. Privacy and anonymity are sorta the whole point of the deep/dark web. 

Yes indeed. Aside from milking whatever financial benefit he can from it Trumps greatest kick is the attention. He partly makes outrageous tweets so he can then flick through the news channels watching himself be talked about.

It's been said from the beginning that the only thing he liked about the whole deal was the campaign rallies. To the extent that to pacify him even once in office they had to keep right on organising rallies despite the fact there was nothing at the time to campaign for.

He just can't get enough of those barking seals in the crowd swooning over his every witless barely literate grunt. Being driven in a cavalcade down Pennsylvania Avenue in DC with crowds of MAGA clowns outside treating him like a messiah he turned to another occupant in the car and said. "How could I go back to selling windows after this?"

Now that to me is just another sign of his severely impaired psyche. He craves the very thing famous people from all walks of the entertainment industry dislike most about being who they are.

Do you think someone like say Elvis Presley when alive was so enamoured by the fact that he couldn't walk the streets without being mobbed? Do you think he craved that adulation?

The very thing most famous people dislike about being famous is what Trump craves. He's mentally disturbed in more ways than I can currently calculate.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Really?🤣🤣

Yep, Tik-tok is full of old men doing dance move videos, so from his rally examples he'd fit right in. Can just see him practicing his 'stop the steal' dance now 🤣

3 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Yep, Tik-tok is full of old men doing dance move videos, so from his rally examples he'd fit right in. Can just see him practicing his 'stop the steal' dance now 🤣

tenor.gif

Pasquale for King

Congress not voting on impeachment until wednesday.

:wtf:

That's only 7 days away from when he's leaving the White House anyways!
Surely tae feck you'd think they'd press it forward and get it done today then throw it immediately up to the Senate?

What are they playing at?

*btw a 2nd police officer has now died of injuries sustained during the terrorist coup attempt.

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Great speech by Arnie, I will hazard a guess he didn't write that. Though probably had input. 

It's been workshopped for certain but you've got to give him respect for wanting to broadcast it and for opening up and including the personal recollections from his childhood. I'm not going to claim that he's a Jenius but he's certainly not stupid. His image in that regard has never been helped by his strong accent and the un-nuanced characters he's played in films.

The sword analogy will work for many of his (Republican) admirers; if people are dumb enough to interpret it as a call to arms, the chances are that they won't have watched through that far.

Watched some later news last night what I found a bit concerning was that I generally considered the mob were a mob, idiots and people with nothing better to do. I now hear Seattle Police are investigating at least two of their members, and New York Fire Department are investigating a number of their staff. There were allegedly a large number of former military personnel involved. These are all individuals male and female who are trained in tactics,and are knowledgeable in police and even fire department procedures and policy in riot or disorderly situations.  God help America, and the people thereof.

I still think that far too may members of Congress and the Senate and in the Security services and the public as a whole are still not treating this whole thing seriously.

They are still treating it as a joke.

A few Bommerwaffens got a wee bit carried away.

A bit of a prank that got out of hand.

If they don't wake up and treat it as the armed terror attack that it was, they will only encourage it to happen again.

And next time it won't just be 6 dead.

They got extremely lucky this time around. No politicians were cornered and killed.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Surely tae feck you'd think they'd press it forward and get it done today then throw it immediately up to the Senate?

*btw a 2nd police officer has now died of injuries sustained during the terrorist coup attempt.

I think that may be the young man I mentioned in a previous post. If it was it was a terrible terrible way to be led to death, caught between a door and another solid piece and squeezed until I guess organs were damaged, in the film he is seen to be bleeding from the mouth. Trump and the Police leaders who were responsible for this hole fiasco  Trump by his encouraging it and the Police leaders by failing to by accident or design failed to plan for it. 

I also apologise to those with whom I differed about the shooting of the woman rioter,  I wrongly  assessed the situation and cannot blame the police for taking self protective action whether in or contrary to the rules, protection of ones own life is supreme. 

1 minute ago, Cade said:

I still think that far too may members of Congress and the Senate and in the Security services and the public as a whole are still not treating this whole thing seriously.

They are still treating it as a joke.

A few Bommerwaffens got a wee bit carried away.

A bit of a prank that got out of hand.

If they don't wake up and treat it as the armed terror attack that it was, they will only encourage it to happen again.

And next time it won't just be 6 dead.

They got extremely lucky this time around. No politicians were cornered and killed.

In the end, it was curiously ineffectual. You would have expected the militia to be up top or even following up the early surges. I'm not downplaying 6 fatalities but many of these neo Nazis are capable with weapons. It's the guys who don't whoop it up and scream USA I expected  to see but it never transpired.

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Cade said:

What a shambles.

I P Knightley
45 minutes ago, Cade said:

There's good reason not to press full-steam ahead with impeachment (as I understand it). It's a lengthy process and would hinder Biden's ability to get on with everything he needs to as soon as he gets his feet under the desk; not least taking Covid control seriously.

They've given Pence an ultimatum to apply the 25th amendment this week and, if he doesn't go for that, then the Dems will vote for impeachment but will then have a delay before actually processing it.

I admit, I know next to hee-haw and it surprises me that it's possible to prosecute an impeachment when the bloke is no longer in office so I stand to be corrected.

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

There's good reason not to press full-steam ahead with impeachment (as I understand it). It's a lengthy process and would hinder Biden's ability to get on with everything he needs to as soon as he gets his feet under the desk; not least taking Covid control seriously.

They've given Pence an ultimatum to apply the 25th amendment this week and, if he doesn't go for that, then the Dems will vote for impeachment but will then have a delay before actually processing it.

I admit, I know next to hee-haw and it surprises me that it's possible to prosecute an impeachment when the bloke is no longer in office so I stand to be corrected.

Yes, the Dems are playing the long game here, he's out in 9 days time anyway, they can wait until Biden is President, besides this is now all about preventing him from ever running for high office again and with the added treat that if convicted he loses his Presidential pension & travel allowences etc etc, which is around $2m per year for life.

Pasquale for King

R&A now confirmed no tournaments at all will be played at Turnberry, it’s been off the rota for the Open whilst he was President. A continuing blow to our economy as the Open is worth around £200m to its host country, maybe not this year if crowds are limited. 

44 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I think that may be the young man I mentioned in a previous post. If it was it was a terrible terrible way to be led to death, caught between a door and another solid piece and squeezed until I guess organs were damaged, in the film he is seen to be bleeding from the mouth. Trump and the Police leaders who were responsible for this hole fiasco  Trump by his encouraging it and the Police leaders by failing to by accident or design failed to plan for it. 

I also apologise to those with whom I differed about the shooting of the woman rioter,  I wrongly  assessed the situation and cannot blame the police for taking self protective action whether in or contrary to the rules, protection of ones own life is supreme. 

I don't think it is him, because one of the Police chiefs was asked about his condition and he said that he was sore had some bruising but the scans showed no broken ribs or internal damage.

The second Policeman comitted suicide three days after the riots and was aged 51.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/01/10/another-capitol-police-death-officer-dies-by-suicide-after-responding-to-pro-trump-riot/?sh=3e1f1e4c70dd

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

R&A now confirmed no tournaments at all will be played at Turnberry, it’s been off the rota for the Open whilst he was President. A continuing blow to our economy as the Open is worth around £200m to its host country, maybe not this year if crowds are limited. 

Can't they just play it at another course that he doesn't own, such as Muirfield or At Andrews? I want all his businesses boycotted and shunned until the sick, evil old shit goes bankrupt.

1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

Can't they just play it at another course that he doesn't own, such as Muirfield or At Andrews? I want all his businesses boycotted and shunned until the sick, evil old shit goes bankrupt.

Plenty of courses up here that have hosted the Open before.

Pasquale for King
Just now, SwindonJambo said:

They do, there’s ten course on the rota so every time Turnberry was due to host it another place takes its turn so Scotland misses out. It’s only been there 4 times since 1977 and once since 2009, so it’s been due to go back now there’s better infrastructure in place apparently. 

3C31CEF8-291D-49E8-B0EC-FE24D31BC7FE.jpeg

72006022-5994-4B35-8CE8-EB9A4499DC99.jpeg

87DFDB0F-3711-4E3A-B6AB-1122DACCAF1E.jpeg

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Plenty of courses up here that have hosted the Open before.

There is but they’re not on the official rota for various reasons, infrastructure is a big part of now. Portrush in NI is  now back so it’s one more competing for it. 

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Days after her own office was ransacked by Trump supporters, the speaker of the House talks to Lesley Stahl about what she experienced that day and more.

Nancy Pelosi: The 2021 60 Minutes interview

It must have been pretty fecking scary for the staff and Congress members hiding inside. I hope that the charges brought against the rioters include this effect of their incursion, and don't concentrate simply on illegal entry and property damage.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

There is but they’re not on the official rota for various reasons, infrastructure is a big part of now. Portrush in NI is  now back so it’s one more competing for it. 

St Andrews, Gleneagles, Carnoustie, Muirfield, and more.  A lot of the biggest name courses are here.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

St Andrews, Gleneagles, Carnoustie, Muirfield, and more.  A lot of the biggest name courses are here.

Have you read what I put up there ^^^^. 
The Open has never been played at Gleneagles, it’s only played on links courses which exist near the sea. There is a rota, Portrush was added back onto it in 2019 for the first time since 1958, Turnberry was the last added in 1977. It doesn’t happen that often. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Have you read what I put up there ^^^^. 
The Open has never been played at Gleneagles, it’s only played on links courses which exist near the sea. There is a rota, Portrush was added back onto it in 2019 for the first time since 1958, Turnberry was the last added in 1977. It doesn’t happen that often. 

I'm not a golf expert as its as much fun to watch as cricket.  In any case you get my point.

Surely if they take off Turnberry they can switch up the Scottish courses.  I mean, who really wants to go to Portrush?

Pasquale for King
Just now, frankblack said:

I'm not a golf expert as its as much fun to watch as cricket.  In any case you get my point.

Surely if they take off Turnberry they can switch up the Scottish courses.  I mean, who really wants to go to Portrush?

Yeah I get you know nothing about golf, shame you can’t get my point that the biggest tournament in golf hundreds of millions of pounds just doesn’t go to any old course. 
The maximum amount tickets for the Opens return to Ireland was sold out not long after going on sale, 172k and the first ever sell out. 

28 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I don't think it is him, because one of the Police chiefs was asked about his condition and he said that he was sore had some bruising but the scans showed no broken ribs or internal damage.

The second Policeman comitted suicide three days after the riots and was aged 51.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/01/10/another-capitol-police-death-officer-dies-by-suicide-after-responding-to-pro-trump-riot/?sh=3e1f1e4c70dd

After I wrote it I wondered if I was corre

30 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I wonder about that when I wrote it, I had just switched on the TV they were talking about a policeman dying, and showed film of the guy and the door. I however stand by my apology and admit I was looking at it as a proper police manager not the apparent incompetence of the day. 

Lots of companies saying the are stopping any payments to the politicians that objected to the voting.

147 Republicans will be shitting themselves.

9 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Lots of companies saying the are stopping any payments to the politicians that objected to the voting.

147 Republicans will be shitting themselves.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)