U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Kalamazoo Jambo
51 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tbh they should be charged under the US terrorism laws, because many thought and admitted they were taking part in a revolution and that surely comes under the anti-terrorism laws.

Long story short, there aren’t any Federal crimes that are classed as ‘domestic terrorism’ (at the moment - I believe it’s something the Biden administration will be looking at). 

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Norm said:

I know it's tragic and terrible for the family and, if there is one, I'll burn in hell for it but, honestly, I genuinely can't stop laughing at the "Don't Tread On Me" lady. 

That’s a step too far. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Same here. Couldn’t a shiny about her.

The policeman who died had his head bashed in with a fire extinguisher.

Was on life support.

Yet they go on about blue lives matter, poor guy. I would imagine his family will sue his bosses for the negligent set up. 

Captain Slog
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yet they go on about blue lives matter, poor guy. I would imagine his family will sue his bosses for the negligent set up. 

That poor officer chased up the stairs too, a brave brave man, let down by his superiors putting him in that position

10 hours ago, Justin Z said:

This is an even more egregious non-sequitur, and my convo with John has nothing to do with Twitter. Do you have a point, caller?

But for what it's worth, I basically subscribe to the “if we don't believe in free speech for those we despise, we don't believe in it at all” theory with few exceptions, because of how well supported as that proposition is. Are there nuances? Yes. But if you jump to instantaneous straw men and extremifying of others' positions, you won't ever manage to see them.

It is 100% a free speech issue, specifically about where the line actually is. But I appreciate you reiterating your complete lack of comprehension of the subject at hand.

Foundational, yes.

Ah here Justin, could you do us a favour and stop ******* ******* **** ****? :cheese:

This isn't a free speech issue.  Twitter sets rules and conditions, and users sign up for those in the Ts & Cs when they create their accounts.  My own issue with Twitter is that they are too lax, but hey ho, it's an American business with that peculiarly American fetish about free speech, so up with that I'll have to put.  But when you break their rules you get suspended and banned, that's how it works.  For reasons of public interest they let Donald Trump away with stuff the rest of us wouldn't be let say, until he went too far.  Then he got booted off.  But it's not like that silenced him.  The Orange Turd-In-Chief  has the biggest soapbox on Planet Humanity.  If he wants to be heard all he has to do is hold a press conference or issue a press release.

Donald Trump wasn't launched by every social media platform around because of his opinions or his speech.  He was suspended because he failed their easy-to-pass rules about not being a ****ing dickhead.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

That poor officer chased up the stairs too, a brave brave man, let down by his superiors putting him in that position

It was indeed, being black as well. Did you notice that the annoying guy that was right behind him stopped dead in his tracks when 3 or 4 white officers moved towards him? 
I don’t know much about the Capitol Police force but they look like glorified security guards, totally out their depth. 

2 hours ago, Norm said:

I know it's tragic and terrible for the family and, if there is one, I'll burn in hell for it but, honestly, I genuinely can't stop laughing at the "Don't Tread On Me" lady. 

I'm not laughing at any of it. 

I read somewhere that the guy who was supposed to have given himself a heart attack by repeatedly tasering himself it the goolies did not, in fact, repeatedly taser himself in the goolies.  Perhaps someone better informed than I am could clarify?

10 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Indeed. A picture of someone walking out with a podium plinth can make it look comedic but some foreign involvement there could have left what you describe. Utterly incredible. A huge investigation needed and prosecutions sought

Apparently he has been arrested and charged, but his lawyer says he won't be, er, taking the stand.

Captain Slog
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was indeed, being black as well. Did you notice that the annoying guy that was right behind him stopped dead in his tracks when 3 or 4 white officers moved towards him? 
I don’t know much about the Capitol Police force but they look like glorified security guards, totally out their depth. 

Id like to add that officer protected whoever was filming - maybe he is a glorified security guards, but give him a medal

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Apparently he has been arrested and charged, but his lawyer says he won't be, er, taking the stand.

:lol:

The more footage I watch the more confused and indeed disgusted I become. I commented on it numerous times and I can understand those who have different opinion than mine, but the woman shot coming through the door or window still seems to me use of excessive force, but it is probably because of my long time ago background and training. What makes me even more puzzled though is that I just watched film of a young policeman jammed by a door against another solid surface, rioters are pushing hard on the door and the young man is petrified and in genuine fear for his life , there are other police persons there, and they are doing virtually nothing to help him. if there was a time for lethal force this was it, an officers life in danger, no fear of injury but actual loss of life, even a shot fired in tha air although not recommended would have had some justification. I have had some opposite opinions on my views and don't really disagree with them just come from a different position.  My first action of solution if involved would be the immediate disbandment of the Capitol Police and a complete renewal of their purpose before renewing the positions. They in again my old fashioned opinion were not trained, competent , or adequately led to have full police powers.  

Now having told everyone how that situation should be resolved I will go and watch the second half of the Seattle a Seahawks game and advise the Seahawks coaching staff how to get out of their losing situation

2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Violent entry and disorder charges being issued to individuals. 

The context must surely ramp these charges up. Surely, we are not going to see prosecutions as if they had entered the local burger king? 

15 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

The more footage I watch the more confused and indeed disgusted I become. I commented on it numerous times and I can understand those who have different opinion than mine, but the woman shot coming through the door or window still seems to me use of excessive force, but it is probably because of my long time ago background and training. What makes me even more puzzled though is that I just watched film of a young policeman jammed by a door against another solid surface, rioters are pushing hard on the door and the young man is petrified and in genuine fear for his life , there are other police persons there, and they are doing virtually nothing to help him. if there was a time for lethal force this was it, an officers life in danger, no fear of injury but actual loss of life, even a shot fired in tha air although not recommended would have had some justification. I have had some opposite opinions on my views and don't really disagree with them just come from a different position.  My first action of solution if involved would be the immediate disbandment of the Capitol Police and a complete renewal of their purpose before renewing the positions. They in again my old fashioned opinion were not trained, competent , or adequately led to have full police powers.  

Now having told everyone how that situation should be resolved I will go and watch the second half of the Seattle a Seahawks game and advise the Seahawks coaching staff how to get out of their losing situation

Time will tell. 

I told you about this yesterday. There are some serious suggestions from looking carefully at what some protesters had with them and where they were that they were looking to kidnap and kill politicians. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Id like to add that officer protected whoever was filming - maybe he is a glorified security guards, but give him a medal

I said that to my wife, might’ve been better putting the camera down and helping. 
That guy does deserve a medal, I couldn’t really blamed anyone for feeling under threat and using their gin to protect themselves. It might well have made the situation worse though. 
I wasn’t trying to slate the guy but the cops inside the building look less prepared than the guys outside with the riot gear on. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Are you saying you will come to an oral battle armed? If it's not going well you will just shoot your fellow debator?

:lol: I certainly understand better than ever why there's a division between officers and enlistees. :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

This isn't a free speech issue. 

It isn't a governmental free speech issue. If you really want to sit here and say corporations, which are unelected and certainly don't exist en masse to benefit any of us, get to decide, well, I can't stop you. But I don't see why it's controversial to suggest there's much more to it than just a simplistic "it's not the government so go ahead and let them do whatever." This leftist cartoonist but for one small example is also banned from Twitter. Nobody can say why, yay transparency.

27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Time will tell. 

I told you about this yesterday. There are some serious suggestions from looking carefully at what some protesters had with them and where they were that they were looking to kidnap and kill politicians. 

You quite rightly did point that out to me, there is no doubt there was malice aforethought  in the minds of  many if not all of the rioters.  My opinion on the death of the woman has not changed, but I can well understand the thinking being projected on here. My view is as a retired police officer the statement that an unarmed person was shot and died is a problem. My opinion was derived from how I saw the circumstances, rioters, a door with broken glass a face at the door, and police aiming weapons at that door. I understand now that face may even have been the deceased woman, the whole thing is just a total screw up. It all goes to lack of leadership and direction. Bad guys are bad guys male or female, and I guess I have a problem in some as in this case who at the time of the deadly shot was the bad guy. You were quite correct to raise the question of the people with intent, but that evidence was not presented to the public and I doubt the Capitol Police had it, particularly when what seemed to be plain clothes officers were sitting targets for explosives as mentioned or indeed other devices. There is no doubt based on your information the police should have been better prepared, but theynwere working in a fog of misinformation, and no information

44 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

It isn't a governmental free speech issue. If you really want to sit here and say corporations, which are unelected and certainly don't exist en masse to benefit any of us, get to decide, well, I can't stop you. But I don't see why it's controversial to suggest there's much more to it than just a simplistic "it's not the government so go ahead and let them do whatever." This leftist cartoonist but for one small example is also banned from Twitter. Nobody can say why, yay transparency.

It's their space, and they set the rules.  Users know what they are when they sign up.  If someone doesn't like it, let them **** off and find another private space, or make their own.

This time last year, I was preparing to leave Scotland and move to America.

Now, @Dorothy has already bought her ticket to come here, its so sad when you utterly give up hope in your government 

A Boy Named Crow
38 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

It's their space, and they set the rules.  Users know what they are when they sign up.  If someone doesn't like it, let them **** off and find another private space, or make their own.

Aye, I mean suppose I took to Twitter spouting off about how "Ulysses off Kickback" is a paedo (going to take a leap here and assume you're not). You'd be perfectly entitled to take me to court for libel / defamation or whatever. Twitter would recognise the risk they were taking having a loose cannon like me on the platform,  and I'd get emptied. 

Trump may well have been using the platform to drive an attempted coup - of course they were gong to get him punted, freedom of speech isn't, can't be absolute, and Twitter are entitled to cover their arse. 

32 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Aye, I mean suppose I took to Twitter spouting off about how "Ulysses off Kickback" is a paedo (going to take a leap here and assume you're not). You'd be perfectly entitled to take me to court for libel / defamation or whatever. Twitter would recognise the risk they were taking having a loose cannon like me on the platform,  and I'd get emptied.

That's pretty much it.  The American tech companies have more lax standards than, for example, the media in Ireland and the UK, but they still have some basic standards.  I've seen plenty of racists and homophobes being kicked off Twitter, and yet freedom of expression remains intact.

John Gentleman

Amazon, Apple and Google have now all kyboshed Parler.

"Amazon’s move meant that Parler’s entire platform would soon go offline unless it was able to find a new hosting service on Sunday."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/technology/apple-google-parler.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Trump's now discovering that all his 'free expression' came with a price tag after all. He'll be writhing.

Deep joy.

9 hours ago, Justin Z said:

:lol: I certainly understand better than ever why there's a division between officers and enlistees. :thumbsup:

Oh I'm sorry you're a failed officer, but in the American forces that doesnt amount to much. Dont take it so personally brother.

11 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I'm not laughing at any of it. 

I read somewhere that the guy who was supposed to have given himself a heart attack by repeatedly tasering himself it the goolies did not, in fact, repeatedly taser himself in the goolies.  Perhaps someone better informed than I am could clarify?

Apparently, he did taser himself and have a heart attack but it's unconfirmed if he tased himself in the nuts.

41 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Extended youtube video of the protests, with the shooting at 35 minutes in.

What an insufferable prick the camera man is. That woman was shot rightfully in my opinion. Thanks for posting this FF. 

Just now, Des Lynam said:

What an insufferable prick the camera man is. That woman was shot rightfully in my opinion. Thanks for posting this FF. 

In my view any of the anarchic mob threateningly invading that building in an attempt to stymie the operation of a democratic process were taking the chance of being shot.

This is the US where any Tom, Dick, or loony tune, can be packing a gun. A system these fruitcakes support. Getting shot is a risk they're fully behind and she got hers. End of story.

Don't want to be shot? Well take the guns out of your society and not every cop will be on edge about being shot himself every time a nutter confronts him.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

In my view any of the anarchic mob threateningly invading that building in an attempt to stymie the operation of a democratic process were taking the chance of being shot.

This is the US where any Tom, Dick, or loony tune, can be packing a gun. A system these fruitcakes support. Getting shot is a risk they're fully behind and she got hers. End of story.

Don't want to be shot? Well take the guns out of your society and not every cop will be on edge about being shot himself every time a nutter confronts him.

This.

6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Totally agree. If you’re trying to get through a door that’s barricaded with folks with guns on the other side you deserve it. Her Mum said she was willing to die for Trump. It’s just so sad they’d do this for a man that wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire. 

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Agreed.

14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Seconded, especially the last sentence

The violence at the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday was unprecedented in modern U.S. history — but some pro-Trump extremists are promising it was just a taste of things to come.

"Many of Us will return on January 19, 2021, carrying Our weapons, in support of Our nation's resolve, to which [sic] the world will never forget!!!" one person wrote on Parler, a site friendly to right-wing extremists. "We will come in numbers that no standing army or police agency can match." FULL ARTICLE

You know on some level I would love to see it. A bunch of witless hicks taking on the US army and their tanks, machine gun and missile firing helicopters plus array of killer drones. A mismatch for the ages.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You know on some level I would love to see it. A bunch of witless hicks taking on the US army and their tanks, machine gun and missile firing helicopters plus array of killer drones. A mismatch for the ages.

They’re bringing Hollywood live.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

How many guns are there in America and how easy is it to pull a trigger. If people march on the white House etc... Who is gonnae drone attack or use gunships when their own folk are on the ground. 

44 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

:spoton:

Not only is America a country which any loony can openly carry a gun, it's also a country where any loony can walk the streets or attend a rally dressed in full combat/tactical gear including body armour.

You need only look at the footage to see the number of people who came all dressed up for the occasion.

That imo should be looked at because it is becoming increasingly difficult to tell who is police/military and some nutter with a gun.

12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

How many guns are there in America and how easy is it to pull a trigger. If people march on the white House etc... Who is gonnae drone attack or use gunships when their own folk are on the ground. 

Someone was just on Sky News saying there is around about 300 million guns in private ownership in the US.

This is roughly the same number of guns law enforcement have and 300 million is about the same as every army in Europe has.

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Who is gonnae drone attack or use gunships when their own folk are on the ground. 

Probably nobody, but that doesn't change how much I would love to see it. Mow down the Maga's.

But taking the concept further let's presume these witless wonders did indeed plan to converge on the inauguration in significant numbers and heavily armed. Well i'm fairly confident there would be intelligence beforehand warning of it.

From there they may cancel the traditional inauguration ceremony but let's say they didn't. How difficult would it be to then state that for pandemic reasons we don't want crowds coming here so the sane among you, don't come near.

For the crazies we're setting up barriers. You cross those barriers we will rain hell down on you. Bring it on maga mutt.

SectionDJambo
21 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Totally agree. If you’re trying to get through a door that’s barricaded with folks with guns on the other side you deserve it. Her Mum said she was willing to die for Trump. It’s just so sad they’d do this for a man that wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire. 

Through my German parentage, I’ve listened to my older relatives, no longer with us, talk about the regime that consumed them in the 1930s. 
They knew it had all gone horribly wrong, and the outcome inexcusable, but they had clearly been sucked in by the narrative of making Germany great again. Sound familiar?

The thing that most bothered me was that they, despite being ordinary, decent and respectful people, still seemed to have some aspects of the rhetoric rattling about in their heads. Occasionally a phrase or opinion might slip out that was met with some debate from the others.

Lovely people, to me, who had been damaged by a nutcase and his mob, who had used the hopes and aspirations of good people, to twist their poisonous narratives, to embed those thoughts into the heads of masses of people.

My cousins used to, and still do wonder, how their parents’ generation could have tolerated the Nazis. They know, however, that once power was given to those evil people, it was too late to be able to reverse the process, as fear of violence and reprisal was dominant.

My point here is, that people like Trump can put thoughts into good peoples heads, as well as get the expected support from the morons. It’s understandable that Trump has put thoughts into the heads of good Americans that they wouldn’t have had without him. The drip effect of constant lies and propaganda does it’s job over time. Thankfully, he lost the election before he could really create his own Reich, and the events of last week should, hopefully, provide a wake up call from the hypnotic effect felt by many, in thinking it was essential to believe in all of his distorted words and beliefs. 
It may take some time.

Felix Lighter
53 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I'm sure the FBI will be paying him visit soon. It will be interesting to see which side of the fence he really sits on. He portrays himself as BLM/Antifa on his YT channel and has been filmed speaking at protests. BLM/Antifa though have disowned him claiming he is a far right infiltrator.

Didn't realise that Ex-Presidents get a package of benefits worth millions of dollars, of course if they are impeached they lose most of these benefits, if kicked out of office, gonna be interesting if they can stop Trump continuing to fleece the American public for the rest of his life.

Pension of $219,200 per year (2020)

Travel Allowance of up to $1m per year

and various other benefits.

https://www.ntu.org/foundation/tax-page/pensions-and-perks-for-former-presidents-archive

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

I can now truly foresee them somehow taking Trump down permanently. The reason I can foresee it is that this just can't continue and as long as Trump feels free to voice his utter shit it will never stop.

Trump will continue with the exact same rhetoric that instigated this insanity and in fact is likely to increase the vehemence of it. Creating ever more insanity on a weekly or even daily basis. He could trigger a societal meltdown.

Who is going to risk that all for the sake of one fat bald halfwit?

6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I can now truly foresee them somehow taking Trump down permanently. The reason I can foresee it is that this just can't continue and as long as Trump feels free to voice his utter shit it will never stop.

Trump will continue with the exact same rhetoric that instigated this insanity and in fact is likely to increase the vehemence of it. Creating ever more insanity on a weekly or even daily basis. He could trigger a societal meltdown.

Who is going to risk that all for the sake of one fat bald halfwit?

He needs to have his powers taken from him with immediate effect to avoid him doing real damage with a presidential order (forgotten the term), then impeached, and then arrested at one minute past midnight on the 20th.

Just now, frankblack said:

He needs to have his powers taken from him with immediate effect to avoid him doing real damage with a presidential order (forgotten the term), then impeached, and then arrested at one minute past midnight on the 20th.

I'd love to see him led away in handcuffs. 

17 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Through my German parentage, I’ve listened to my older relatives, no longer with us, talk about the regime that consumed them in the 1930s. 
They knew it had all gone horribly wrong, and the outcome inexcusable, but they had clearly been sucked in by the narrative of making Germany great again. Sound familiar?

The thing that most bothered me was that they, despite being ordinary, decent and respectful people, still seemed to have some aspects of the rhetoric rattling about in their heads. Occasionally a phrase or opinion might slip out that was met with some debate from the others.

Lovely people, to me, who had been damaged by a nutcase and his mob, who had used the hopes and aspirations of good people, to twist their poisonous narratives, to embed those thoughts into the heads of masses of people.

My cousins used to, and still do wonder, how their parents’ generation could have tolerated the Nazis. They know, however, that once power was given to those evil people, it was too late to be able to reverse the process, as fear of violence and reprisal was dominant.

My point here is, that people like Trump can put thoughts into good peoples heads, as well as get the expected support from the morons. It’s understandable that Trump has put thoughts into the heads of good Americans that they wouldn’t have had without him. The drip effect of constant lies and propaganda does it’s job over time. Thankfully, he lost the election before he could really create his own Reich, and the events of last week should, hopefully, provide a wake up call from the hypnotic effect felt by many, in thinking it was essential to believe in all of his distorted words and beliefs. 
It may take some time.

Great post. It’s fascinating the Nazis rise to power. My soul would have been broken as a German citizen watching the treatment of the Jewish people. I still find it incredible Donald Trump has managed to have such an impact. 

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Well one way or another either sooner or later the presidential powers are being removed. That's guaranteed. But that wont stop him continuing to incite insanity will it? And I think it's another guarantee that he will continue to do so if he can. 

And you have to think that there are rational people in the background who know this just can't go on. He has to be stopped. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)