U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Seth Myers adds his own Brand of humour to the fiasco.

Calls For Trump’s Removal Grow After Violent Insurrection at Capitol

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Beginning to think the US has more mentally deranged cops than Scotland has patients. 

Be careful I criticised the police and was accused of being a protest supporter and Trump supporter. The police particularly Capitol Police have proved their indadequacies by resigning , that way they have secured their pension by not getting fired.

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Seth Myers adds his own Brand of humour to the fiasco.

Calls For Trump’s Removal Grow After Violent Insurrection at Capitol

I do like watching him, his impersonation of Trump is brilliant.

You know the more I think about it the more I suspect that Trump has dug a hole so deep for himself this time that even he wont be able to bluff/lie his way out of it.

Think how much hatred he had garnered for himself from both powerful agencies such as CIA, FBI, IRS, Justice Departnent to name just a few. And countless powerful people including the soon to be new presidentJoe Biden who has seen his entire family be defamed. And in fact the entire new administration.

And to top it all off even many Republican enablers are already bunkering down preparing to distance themselves as much as possible from Trump. Because they know exactly what kind of shit storm is now coming after noon on January 20th.

Trump has now set himself up for a crash and burn even I who despise him could only have dreamed of. Thank you Donnie.

The last time he spoke straight to an auto cue was after Charlottesville when he faced with the possibility of criticising his base.

23 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

And there's what Trump (& the likes of Boris) has done to democracy. Getting criticism from Zimbabwe. the laughing stock of democracy in Africa is laughing at what is supposed to be the world leaders in democracy.

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You know the more I think about it the more I suspect that Trump has dug a hole so deep for himself this time that even he wont be able to bluff/lie his way out of it.

Think how much hatred he had garnered for himself from both powerful agencies such as CIA, FBI, IRS, Justice Departnent to name just a few. And countless powerful people including the soon to be new presidentJoe Biden who has seen his entire family be defamed. And in fact the entire new administration.

And to top it all off even many Republican enablers are already bunkering down preparing to distance themselves as much as possible from Trump. Because they know exactly what kind of shit storm is now coming after noon on January 20th.

Trump has now set himself up for a crash and burn even I who despise him could only have dreamed of. Thank you Donnie.

We can only hope this stops him from running again in 2024.

I watched Lindsey Graham berate Trump the other night. The same Lindsey Graham I saw during the  2016 campaign berate Trump, and again the Lindsey Graham who whilst golfing with Trump removed his lips from Trumps ass to say what a good President he is or was, there is nothing worse than persons in charge who just give loyalty and say things that they think will be popular and advantageous to themselves.

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Add to that list many of the terrorists whom thought that they were acting on Trumps orders but he's just thrown them under the bus, going to be many really pissed off people whom have just realised that they've been duped by a con man.

I was reading in the Washington Post that several people who took part in this terrorist attack have been sacked or suspended, this includes lawyers, police, firefighter, deputy CEO's, etc etc, not so chuffed with themselves now I'd bet, and again it really amazes me the number of people who think it's smart and clever to post photos or videos of themselves on social media for the whole world including their employers and law enforcement to see, how fecking stupid are these people.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Add to that list many of the terrorists whom thought that they were acting on Trumps orders but he's just thrown them under the bus, going to be many really pissed off people whom have just realised that they've been duped by a con man.

I was reading in the Washington Post that several people who took part in this terrorist attack have been sacked or suspended, this includes lawyers, police, firefighter, deputy CEO's, etc etc, not so chuffed with themselves now I'd bet, and again it really amazes me the number of people who think it's smart and clever to post photos or videos of themselves on social media for the whole world including their employers and law enforcement to see, how fecking stupid are these people.

Absolute muppets. 

43 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Biden can GTF.

I'd say let's hope Marty learned something about workers' rights while he was over there, but in the Biden administration? :rofl: Forget about it.

highlandjambo3

It’s a bit ironic that Tonto (or whatever his handle is) and his fellow minions charged the building chanting “USA“ with the U stating for “United” when the country is anything but.............So, “states of America“ from now on no?.... even better ‘state of America” wins it for me ☺️

SwindonJambo

Like there was any chance of him attending Biden's inauguration. What a big baby. So Biden will be photographed with all living previous Presidents except Dump.

Edited by SwindonJambo

3 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Be careful I criticised the police and was accused of being a protest supporter and Trump supporter. The police particularly Capitol Police have proved their indadequacies by resigning , that way they have secured their pension by not getting fired.

Never mind the idiots that say that, Sharpie. I know we've had our run ins, but we know exactly how you feel about Trump. 👍

The selection process in America must be extremely poor. Moral and ethical bankruptcy must be a trait, highly sought after in some places over there. (Obviously not all) 

Edited by ri Alban

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 hours ago, Barack said:

As an aside, Trump does have a plastic card called the "biscuit", which does identify to those who launch a missile strike. That gets changed everyday.

The verification still has to be confirmed and actioned by the carrier of the "football". 

But again; even despite it technically being true about him having code, there is no chance a sitting US President will ever authorise such a thing whilst of sound mind. And allowed too, if not. 

I’m less confident than you about the safeguards in place. Anyway, this is interesting...

51 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Baby Trump confirms that he won't be attending the inauguration. 

He'll probably spend the day on the golf course.

64V3z.gif

3 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I watched Lindsey Graham berate Trump the other night. The same Lindsey Graham I saw during the  2016 campaign berate Trump, and again the Lindsey Graham who whilst golfing with Trump removed his lips from Trumps ass to say what a good President he is or was, there is nothing worse than persons in charge who just give loyalty and say things that they think will be popular and advantageous to themselves.

image.png.4018f9bc451e5c0e4a855cfadd74efe9.png

12 minutes ago, Barack said:

Thinking on impeachment and the number's.

It was 52-48 to acquit.

Ben Sasse (R) has openly challenged Trump these last few weeks & especially days. Also has said he would consider impeachment if it was brought.

Mark Kelly (D) is now a Senator, in place of McSally (R). So if you add in Romney who was the sole R to vote for impeachment last time, plus just those two, that gives you 50-50 split.

I think possibly Inhofe (R) and 3 or 4 other's would also look to consider it seriously this time.

Trouble is, although warranted. What happened at the Capitol the other day, will seem like a street party, compared to when a certain element hit the streets again, in outrage at Trump being convicted if so.

I hope plans are already in motion across States, to combat the possibility of mass civil disorder.

What would be the outcome of the impeachment if successful? Would his age be taken into account things like that?

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

It was 52-48 to acquit.

Ben Sasse (R) has openly challenged Trump these last few weeks & especially days. Also has said he would consider impeachment if it was brought.

Mark Kelly (D) is now a Senator, in place of McSally (R). So if you add in Romney who was the sole R to vote for impeachment last time, plus just those two, that gives you 50-50 split.

I think possibly Inhofe (R) and 3 or 4 other's would also look to consider it seriously this time.

Trouble is, although warranted. What happened at the Capitol the other day, will seem like a street party, compared to when a certain element hit the streets again, in outrage at Trump being convicted if so.

I hope plans are already in motion across States, to combat the possibility of mass civil disorder.

I would think the police chiefs and staff who sided with Trump along with their Unions will be a bit less anxious to keep Trump happy and will not be around as they had prior to and during the election when they thought getting him elected enhanced their desires for more funding which the Democrats were considering cutting. The happenings on Wednesday will make them nervous, nothing more motivating than the thought of losing your job. I am sure some will have pictures in their diary pads of the Capitol Chief and his subordinates who have hurriedly retired.  The planning would be exquisite.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

What would be the outcome of the impeachment if successful? Would his age be taken into account things like that?

I think to be honest the Impeachment is an empty threat. The time factor for proper preparation and to get the House into Session to hear it is just too short. I don't think Biden is too thrilled with the idea either, preferring that the spotlight be on he and his Inauguration rather than Trump in the eye again. Really so what, the result for his legacy upheld would just be another disgrace, and actually more fodder for Trumps violent base fodder to react the way they did, again. I have no use for Trump but I suspect his  greatest desire would be to go out in a blaze of glory  claiming that the only way they could get me out was a rigged election and two phoney Impeachments. The worst punishment he could suffer is completely ignoring  him and his opinions.

33 minutes ago, Barack said:

It was 52-48 to acquit.

Pity the number to convict is 67 then eh? :wink:

8 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

The worst punishment he could suffer is completely ignoring  him and his opinions.

Said right from the minute he got elected, the best thing the media could do would be to ignore him and deny him the attention he so clearly craves. That's what would have got under his skin most. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Pity the number to convict is 67 then eh? :wink:

For what it’s worth I’m not sure Joe Manchin would convict either as his will be a political calculation about getting himself re-elected. I do think Sasse and a few others could vote to convict but a lot will depend on how the political winds are blowing a week from now.

I think the most likely outcome is the House impeaches next week and the Senate runs out the clock without a final vote on conviction.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Never mind the idiots that say that, Sharpie. I know we've had our run ins, but we know exactly how you feel about Trump. 👍

The selection process in America must be extremely poor. Moral and ethical bankruptcy must be a trait, highly sought after in some places over there. (Obviously not all) 

I've mentioned this before.

They are poorly trained and undisciplined. Poorly trained as they wont spend the money. Undisciplined because those in charge are not fit for purpose.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I've certainly never read anything of @Sharpie's that suggests he's a Trump supporter. In fact one of the more anti-Trump posters on here who has the advantage (if it can be called that) of being a wee bit closer to the lunacy.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

One thing I an't get my head around is the different layers of law enforcement. City police, county sheriffs, state police, are there federal police?, national guard, highway patrol...any more?

Firearms and tobacco guys, FBI, NCIS, SWAT squads...are there any folk in America who can't arrest you?

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

I think to be honest the Impeachment is an empty threat. 

I think so too.  There isn't enough time for a Senate trial, and they'd never get the 67% needed to convict.  But it would be nice to have two impeachments on his historical record.

By the way, @Sharpie your long-standing prediction that Trump would not complete his full term might still come to pass.  As far as I can tell, in addition to whatever else he's been up to in the last four years, his inciting of a riot on Wednesday and his attempt at election fraud with the phone call the Georgia is more fuel to the fire.  He might resign early so that Pence can pardon him.

There are only 12 days left, so we won't have long to wait to find out.

13 minutes ago, Boof said:

I've certainly never read anything of @Sharpie's that suggests he's a Trump supporter. In fact one of the more anti-Trump posters on here who has the advantage (if it can be called that) of being a wee bit closer to the lunacy.

One thing I an't get my head around is the different layers of law enforcement. City police, county sheriffs, state police, are there federal police?, national guard, highway patrol...any more?

Firearms and tobacco guys, FBI, NCIS, SWAT squads...are there any folk in America who can't arrest you?

Yes there are a few, Its been a long time since I spent a lot of time with American policemen, on the whole they weree pretty good guys I enjoyed knowing them. However as policemen there were numerous different characters. Deep south sheriffs were very often movie characters, my room mate was a Sheriff in a small County in New York State, a quiet wee individual whom it was surprising to be a policeman. Some of the big city cops were arrogant, superior attitude types, Noo"Yohkers" being some LAPD seemed pretty good, but the guys I thought most suited to the job seemed to be the State Troopers, and Highway patrolmen, they were all very neat in appearance and were obviously polite people 24 hours a day, and felt they would be the same in uniform. For a man who came from an environment of City or County police, or as in Canada ,City ,Provincial, and some Federal Departments, and of course the historic RCMP. it was quite an eye opener. To be perfectly honest some were just not what I would have wanted to work with, and if I had recruited them the possibly would not have finished their probation.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)