U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They reckon Pence can relieve him of his duties. 

They could invoke the 25th amendment but probably won’t. 

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They reckon Pence can relieve him of his duties. 

Kinda sorta. Could invoke the 25th amendment which basically requires Pence and the cabinet. Much less likely than impeachment.

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

He has got a 12 hour ban at the moment. 

And it will continue if Trump doesn’t take down the offending tweets. Interesting stand off possible.

Dean Winchester
4 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

He has got a 12 hour ban at the moment. 

Yes just seen that so they have unblocked his tweets and told him to remove them himself and then the 12 hour suspension will kick in otherwise it will remain locked.

5 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Kinda sorta. Could invoke the 25th amendment which basically requires Pence and the cabinet. Much less likely than impeachment.

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I am an eighty five year old thirty year retired policeman, I seem to recall  about a week ago submitting a post here that Trumps plan to hold a rally on this day would be the start of demonstrations involving violence injury and death, the latter has not happened yet, but a woman critical and a policeman taken to hospital with apparently serious injuries. Us auld yins get razzed about our memory loss, and as I have stated I get criticised in my neighbourhood for yapping about my history, but I learned a few things in life, how the police or whomever was responsible for security were not prepared for this boggles my old mind. They had manpower, they had National Guard resources, they had all the electronic aids available but didn't foresee this, and plan accordingly is a crime. I would humbly suggest that action should have been taken to disrupt  seperate the groups and divert them in different directions, identify the potential leaders and isolate them, sure there would be complaints after the fact of denial of rights etc, in the famous words not used by Winston Churchill F... Em.

And they had umpteen days of warning. If it's any consolation, my mind is boggled anaw.

Also, as has been stated, had this been an ANTIFA or BLM "protest" you can bet your ass it would have been set up like an armed camp and any successful B&E artist, in the morgue hours ago.

The whole thing stinks and confirms there are some 70 odd million either overt or "passive" racists among the American so-called electorate, and I really try never to paint with the proverbial broad brush.

BTW, I felt the same during the days of Angela Davis, Huey Newton, Stokely Carmichael, et al, just naively figured that surely things would get better over time.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

And I don't think there is any chance of Pence pardoning Trump on 19 January now either, not that it was likely if Pence has ambitions to run in 2024.

He can’t win, if he doesn’t do something he’s weak and if he does he won’t get the 74m plus votes. Shame 😆

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If that happens I give it a year before Donnie is living in one room in a hotel surrounded by jars of his own piss. 

Big rooms at Turnberry apparently. 

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I made a conscious decision more than five years ago that it's no longer my country either. It's my accident of birth. Don't like it? Lump it.

I consider myself a Pangean, the rest is tectonic/geologic accident and if we all felt this way, the self servers would be fecked!

Nowt wrong with "a bit" of idealism.

6 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I consider myself a Pangean, the rest is tectonic/geologic accident and if we all felt this way, the self servers would be fecked!

A pangean? Like a dyslexic armadillo? 

edit. I’ve just realised that’s an incredibly lateral thinking kind of gag. I’m standing by it though. 

Edited by Tazio

7 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

:thumbsup: Dig it.

Also, just a wee reminder that likening the acts of white supremacist neo-nazis interfering with democracy on a federal level to Black Lives Matter is disgusting.

46 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I just heard a bit on TV with exactly that same comment. Critical of police failure to react to todays activities the way they have in the past.  I am starting to suspect that at some time possibly not in the immediate future but soon that  allegations police showed a bias towards Trumps cause in todays happenings. I t would be absolutely tragic and loathsome if police were in any way conducting their sworn duties for any other motivation than that for which they were Sworn to perform.

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I just heard a bit on TV with exactly that same comment. Critical of police failure to react to todays activities the way they have in the past.  I am starting to suspect that at some time possibly not in the immediate future but soon that  allegations police showed a bias towards Trumps cause in todays happenings. I t would be absolutely tragic and loathsome if police were in any way conducting their sworn duties for any other motivation than that for which they were Sworn to perform.

But as you have long identified that has been a depressing pattern in American policing for years.

Police officers were taking selfies with the protesters, inside the capitol today.

Mental.

J.T.F.Robertson
36 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A pangean? Like a dyslexic armadillo? 

edit. I’ve just realised that’s an incredibly lateral thinking kind of gag. I’m standing by it though. 

Over ma heid. :(

Could have said Rodinian or Pannotian but they were before my time. 

4 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I had one of them at Christmas, better than Christmas cake imo. Italian I believe.

4 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

A play on Pangolin

J.T.F.Robertson

6 minutes ago, gjcc said:

A play on Pangolin

Ta, with it now.

25 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

The Republicans are blackballing Trump. Today’s events were shocking but what was needed to end this madness. 

The real arse licking rats are finally deserting the sinking ship,still rats though.

Watched the news when the man who took the pictures of the woman being shot was interviewed, he wouldn't say it but the interviewer asked was it a Capitol Police Officer or Security officer who fired the shot, there was no reply but the inference was it was one of those who did the shooting. I sort of suspected this when I read the first reports, and when I saw later film of law enforcement personnel at a window with weapons drawn and pointed I thought this is not good. It reminded me of a situation at a break in  and I was with three other officers, one an older man, and two rookies  and as we searched I was separated from them only to rediscover them with weapons drawn and pointing. As should have happened with the Capitol officers I  told them I would be re holstering their weapons in their anal orifice if they didn't get them away quick. 

I can understand fear with a crowd such as there was, but did not see or read any reports that firearms had been identified in the possession of rioters, self defence is a natural instinct, but one must remember the other guy may have the same idea, ergo an armed duel.

Edited by Sharpie

Have to say that Pelosi really needs to leave office as speaker of the House of Representatives

Rambles on and on and her best days are well behind her ...indeed at 80 she should be refusing to stand anyway just as those famed supreme court justices should be replaced when they reach a certain age.....many of them have been too ill to continue but are kept in place to suit political needs

Time for change and not only by the Republicans

The death earlier also needs to be fully investigated

PS One of the senators from Missouri who objects has refused to withdraw those objections..a Trump man to the last...spotted earlier pumping his fists at the protestors earlier today

4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Watched the news when the man who took the pictures of the woman being shot was interviewed, he wouldn't say it but the interviewer asked was it a Capitol Police Officer or Security officer who fired the shot, there was no reply but the inference was it was one of those who did the shooting. I sort of suspected this when I read the first reports, and when I saw later film of law enforcement personnel at a window with weapons drawn and pointed I thought this is not good. It reminded me of a situation at a break in  and I was with three other officers, one an older man, and two rookies  and as we searched I was separated from them only to rediscover them with weapons drawn and pointing. As should have happened with the Capitol officers I  told them I would be re holstering their weapons in their anal orifice if they didn't get them away quick. 

I can understand fear with a crowd such as there was, but did not see or read any reports that firearms had been identified in the possession of rioters, self defence is a natural instinct, but one must remember the other guy may have the same idea, ergo an armed duel.

Many of the rioters had weapons and many have been arrested....Fact checked

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

Did I hear that a pipe bomb was found?

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

I don't know about that but see below reports...

The Washington DC Police chief said earlier that at least five weapons had been recovered and at least 13 people had been arrested.

At least one explosive device has been found and there was an armed stand off inside the building as guns were drawn in the House of Representatives.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/06/capitol-riots-pro-trump-protesters-loot-building-13861622/?ico=more_text_links?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Were they arrested with weapons pointed at the Capitol Building, as I say I have heard or seen nothing that the Building was attacked by armed rioters. The danger of pointed weapons is that one may be fired accidentally or prematurely, by all means be prepared when a threat is obvious, but accidents can happen which are hard to explain when an unarmed person is injured or killed. I am also aware that explosives were found so there was an element of danger but carrying a lethal weapon legally also carries considerable responsibilities.

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

I read that three IEDs were found, one each at the Capitol and the RNC and DNC headquarters.

Reports on NBC of a number of officials resigning from the White House staff.

1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

One of those named is Elaine Chao, who as well as being Transportation Secretary is the wife of the Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell.

Just now, Sharpie said:

Were they arrested with weapons pointed at the Capitol Building, as I say I have heard or seen nothing that the Building was attacked by armed rioters. The danger of pointed weapons is that one may be fired accidentally or prematurely, by all means be prepared when a threat is obvious, but accidents can happen which are hard to explain when an unarmed person is injured or killed. I am also aware that explosives were found so there was an element of danger but carrying a lethal weapon legally also carries considerable responsibilities.

It may not be your intention but this 'support' you seem to show for those demonstrating and storming the building is worrying

The waffle about 'pointed at the capitol building' is just what I'd expect from a Trump follower looking for any excuse....sorry but that is how you are coming over

Ashli Babbit identified as woman killed at DC protest in Capitol (nypost.com)

The President Trump supporter killed in the Capitol building Wednesday is an Air Force vet from California who tweeted a day earlier how “nothing will stop us” and “the storm is here.” 

Ashli Babbit, who had 14 years in the service and did four tours of duty, was married and lived near San Diego, her husband Aaron told KUSI-TV.

“I’m numb. I’m devastated. Nobody from DC notified my son and we found out on TV,” the husband’s mother, Robin Babbitt, told The Post, saying of her daughter-in-law, “She is a Trump supporter.”

Everything is “pretty surreal,” added Aaron’s brother, Justin. “It’s hard, because we haven’t been officially notified.”

The day before she was fatally shot — apparently by Capitol Police, Babbit tweeted, “Nothing will stop us…. they can try and try and try but the storm is here and it is descending upon DC in less than 24 hours….dark to light.”

Babbit, who used the Twitter handle CommonAshSense, also retweeted Wednesday morning — a few hours ahead of her and other Trump supporters storming the Capitol — a “MUST BE DONE LIST before Congress meets today.”

It included, “Mike Pence@vp @Mike_Pence must resign & thereafter be charged with TREASON,” and, “Chief Justice John Roberts must RESIGN.”

Edited by CJGJ

9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I read that three IEDs were found, one each at the Capitol and the RNC and DNC headquarters.

John Gentleman
27 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Have to say that Pelosi really needs to leave office as speaker of the House of Representatives

Rambles on and on and her best days are well behind her ...indeed at 80 she should be refusing to stand anyway just as those famed supreme court justices should be replaced when they reach a certain age.....many of them have been too ill to continue but are kept in place to suit political needs

Time for change and not only by the Republicans

The death earlier also needs to be fully investigated

PS One of the senators from Missouri who objects has refused to withdraw those objections..a Trump man to the last...spotted earlier pumping his fists at the protestors earlier today

The US constitution doesn't specify term or age limits for supreme court judges, which means retirement falls entirely in the gift of individual judges, even after they've started to smell really bad. As term/age limits require constitutional change, nothing's going to happen. 

20 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Ashli Babbit identified as woman killed at DC protest in Capitol (nypost.com)

The President Trump supporter killed in the Capitol building Wednesday is an Air Force vet from California who tweeted a day earlier how “nothing will stop us” and “the storm is here.” 

Ashli Babbit, who had 14 years in the service and did four tours of duty, was married and lived near San Diego, her husband Aaron told KUSI-TV.

“I’m numb. I’m devastated. Nobody from DC notified my son and we found out on TV,” the husband’s mother, Robin Babbitt, told The Post, saying of her daughter-in-law, “She is a Trump supporter.”

Everything is “pretty surreal,” added Aaron’s brother, Justin. “It’s hard, because we haven’t been officially notified.”

The day before she was fatally shot — apparently by Capitol Police, Babbit tweeted, “Nothing will stop us…. they can try and try and try but the storm is here and it is descending upon DC in less than 24 hours….dark to light.”

Babbit, who used the Twitter handle CommonAshSense, also retweeted Wednesday morning — a few hours ahead of her and other Trump supporters storming the Capitol — a “MUST BE DONE LIST before Congress meets today.”

It included, “Mike Pence@vp @Mike_Pence must resign & thereafter be charged with TREASON,” and, “Chief Justice John Roberts must RESIGN.”

At the risk of sounding callous, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes'. 

If you want to try your hand at over-running a government building, you have to expect that somebody will try and stop you. In a society with armed law enforcement, that means you accept the risk of getting shot. As tragic as any death is, they are extremely lucky it was only one today - it could've been a lot more - on both sides (protesters and LE). 

Edited by trotter

11 minutes ago, graygo said:

Vote taking place now, wonder if they'll uphold the objections. :whistling:

There could be a procedural delay of a couple of hours for debate under the rules, but otherwise it's just something to be gone through.

14 minutes ago, graygo said:

Vote taking place now, wonder if they'll uphold the objections. :whistling:

Senate overwhelmingly votes down Arizona objection.

Senator Pat Toomey (R-Pa) absolutely dismantling objections to the Pennsylvania vote result.  Complete smackdown.

4 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

So the most powerful country in the world, lost control of their main building of power in the country in about 30 minutes, while it was full of all their most powerful leaders.

Putin and Pooh bear will be pissing themselves laughing.

Ironic, isn't it.

They have the biggest 'defense' budget in the world, the most aircraft carriers, the most nuclear submarines, the most nuclear weapons, the most bombers, the most tanks ... yet they lost their legislative building without a fight in a few minutes to a mob of yahoos.

Oh America, you've become a joke.

The term 'lame duck president' truly applies to Trump now

2 weeks of nothing with people ignoring his instructions and leaving him and his family in their past

The Republican party truly faces a choice as to the path it follows in the future

You wonder if you'll end up with a Trump party, a Republican party and the Democratic party

32 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Senate overwhelmingly votes down Arizona objection.

Senator Pat Toomey (R-Pa) absolutely dismantling objections to the Pennsylvania vote result.  Complete smackdown.

Hope for that country yet. Maybe.

John Gentleman
13 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

The term 'lame duck president' truly applies to Trump now

2 weeks of nothing with people ignoring his instructions and leaving him and his family in their past

The Republican party truly faces a choice as to the path it follows in the future

You wonder if you'll end up with a Trump party, a Republican party and the Democratic party

He can still break a lot of things in 2 weeks.

I think it has to be said, though, that a near 3-month interregnum between election and inauguration is just asking for trouble. And Trump's delivering.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)