• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry if this has been asked before but how often are the number of electoral college votes each state is allocated reviewed and, if necessary, adjusted?

Is the number directly related to the number of (federal government) Representatives in each state?

8 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Trump going on a rant on Twitter.

Glorious stuff :lol:

This and his outburst this morning, are just proving how stupid and uneducated he really is, because he's showing that he hasn't a clue how elections actually work.

3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but how often are the number of electoral college votes each state is allocated reviewed and, if necessary, adjusted?

Is the number directly related to the number of (federal government) Representatives in each state?

There's a constitutionally mandated census every ten years. Adjustments are made following the census.

Each state has at minimum its two senators plus one for a total of three. Additional electoral votes above that are allocated on a population proportion basis, meaning a state with a tiny population like Wyoming can be massively overrepresented compared to its population.

Florida just passed a $15.00 minimum wage by referendum with 61% in favour.

That's that bright red Florida you see on the map there, bright red because it voted for Trump.

Florida voted for Trump, yet is to the left of Joe Biden and the Democratic establishment.

Edited by Justin Z

16 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Trump going on a rant on Twitter.

Glorious stuff :lol:

I guess he's not so confident any more.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This and his outburst this morning, are just proving how stupid and uneducated he really is, because he's showing that he hasn't a clue how elections actually work.

He knows exactly what he’s doing. Thankfully most of the conservative commentators aren’t having it. 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s completely insane that every postal vote wasn’t received and counted in time for polling day. That’s the whole fecking point of it. What a shambles 

This. Archaic. And of course it opens up all sorts of questions. Not that I'm insinuating anything 🤪

If both parties contest in the courts, so some states cant put forwrd college representatives, am I reading it right that Pelosi would become President on 20 January if it isnt sorted out?

1 minute ago, Captain Slog said:

If both parties contest in the courts, so some states cant put forwrd college representatives, am I reading it right that Pelosi would become President on 20 January if it isnt sorted out?

Assuming Pelosi were reelected as Speaker of the House, which I hope she is not, she would be the acting president from 20 January at noon eastern time, yes.

And he’s not praying!
2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Hold onto your dicks, folks

Republican Party translation - ‘we’re ****ed, bring out the option b folder.’

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

That's that bright red Florida you see on the map there, bright red because it voted for Trump.

Florida voted for Trump, yet is to the left of Joe Biden and the Democratic establishment.

Bunch of doddery old fools down there haven't got an effing clue what they're doing :D

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Hold onto your dicks, folks

I've just been on the 'older ladies you would' thread so that's exactly what I'm doing :embarassed:

Just now, I P Knightley said:

I've just been on the 'older ladies you would' thread so that's exactly what I'm doing :embarassed:

:lol:

Bernie would have strolled this.

What Biden Can Learn from Sanders About the Young Latino Vote

@Kalamazoo Jambo

In the California primary, Sanders won Latino voters under age 29 by a margin of 71 percent to 5 percent for Biden; among young white voters, Sanders won 47 percent to Biden’s 5 percent. The pattern was similar in Texas, and even as the race wound down in March, Sanders won the Latino vote in both Illinois and Michigan.

12 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

If it’s a tie, just give it to the winner of the Royal Rumble.  

First Scottish president in Drew McIntyre?

Interesting

31 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

There's a constitutionally mandated census every ten years. Adjustments are made following the census.

Each state has at minimum its two senators plus one for a total of three. Additional electoral votes above that are allocated on a population proportion basis, meaning a state with a tiny population like Wyoming can be massively overrepresented compared to its population.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

@Kalamazoo Jambo

In the California primary, Sanders won Latino voters under age 29 by a margin of 71 percent to 5 percent for Biden; among young white voters, Sanders won 47 percent to Biden’s 5 percent. The pattern was similar in Texas, and even as the race wound down in March, Sanders won the Latino vote in both Illinois and Michigan.

Bernie is 79 and had a heart attack last year. His ship has long since sailed. Had the cards fallen into place 15-20 years ago, he would have had a chance I'm sure. We have Biden and I can't see him being much more than an interim holding arrangement to get shot of Trump.

Kalamazoo Jambo

19 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

@Kalamazoo Jambo

Thanks, that's interesting.

38 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I wonder if waiters will still chase you for a 25% tip.....

30% of overwhelmingly Democrat Detroit remain uncounted. I think we can safely say Michigan's in the bag, albeit by nothing like the margin the pollsters predicted.

Trump is going to be dumped and the meltdown is going to be glorious. I look forward to seeing him frogmarched across the Whitehouse lawn on 20th January 👍

Edited by SwindonJambo

I P Knightley

I love a number crunch so based on the counts so far, I've worked out the minimum proportion of outstanding votes to go Bidend's way if he's to nab each state:

Arizona - 40%

Nevada - 48%

Wisconsin - 40%

Michigan - 49%

PA - 67%

NC - 64%

Georgia - 63%

If Trump's nappies are getting in a twist due to him believing that those late-counted postal votes are predominantly Democrat, I think things might be just about OK.

As a pal has just put it: We badly need the second worst president in the history of the US.

Exit polling showing that registered Republicans voted for Trump 93% of the time, up from 90% in 2016.

What a blinder Biden played, reaching across the aisle while carpetbombing progressives.

Thanks especially go the Lincoln Grifters, er, Project.

9 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I love a number crunch so based on the counts so far, I've worked out the minimum proportion of outstanding votes to go Bidend's way if he's to nab each state:

Arizona - 40%

Nevada - 48%

Wisconsin - 40%

Michigan - 49%

PA - 67%

NC - 64%

Georgia - 63%

If Trump's nappies are getting in a twist due to him believing that those late-counted postal votes are predominantly Democrat, I think things might be just about OK.

As a pal has just put it: We badly need the second worst president in the history of the US.

Biden in 5 minutes will be better than Lyndon B Johnson and Richard Nixon

Kalamazoo Jambo

Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, NE-2 all looking like they're in the bag for Biden barring some extreme weirdness.

Would like to see either Georgia and/or Pennsylvania get called for Biden though, as there's still a small chance of an upset in Nevada, and we probably won't know about that race until tomorrow 😬

Just now, Captain Slog said:

Bidens team saying they are confident of Nevada, Michigan, Maine.  If Arizona holds true, that would be enough

Don't dismiss Pennsylvania either. The Republican 700,000 vote lead has shrunk to just under half a million with the postal votes of overwhelmingly Dem Philly and Pittsburgh still to be counted. Dems are 7/4 on to take Penn.

17 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

30% of overwhelmingly Democrat Detroit remain uncounted. I think we can safely say Michigan's in the bag, albeit by nothing like the margin the pollsters predicted.

Trump is going to be dumped and the meltdown is going to be glorious. I look forward to seeing him frogmarched across the Whitehouse lawn on 20th January 👍

If Biden reaches 270 EC votes by the end of the week, as is possible, think about the scenario.

Trump will have lost both the popular vote and the Electoral College vote AND WILL STILL NOT CONCEDE.

Compare that to Al Gore and Hilary Clinton, who both won the popular vote but lost the EC vote, but nonetheless conceded.

No further proof is needed that Trump is not only undemocratic but also mentally unstable.

3 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Both BBC and AP maps suddenly have Arizona dropping from 99% of votes cast to 86% - whats going on there?

I have seen that happen on several outlets in several states throughout the night, and I see it every election. I think the simplest explanation is, all these different media outlets instead of one centralised, official location holding the statistics means there will be various errors throughout the process.

CavySlaveJambo

I’ve been watching CNN and it has been very interesting to hear how they can’t dump fake votes and how they actually verify the postal votes 

J.T.F.Robertson

It boggles the mind when you realize that after four years of this demented fraud's behaviour being on fool(sic) display that the Democrats have still, somehow managed to turn this into a squeaker.

7 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I’ve been watching CNN and it has been very interesting to hear how they can’t dump fake votes and how they actually verify the postal votes 

I had CNN on earlier and you'd never guess they and Trump had a falling out. Biased as it gets haha

And he’s not praying!

His timeline is tremendous 🤣

Some or all of the content in this tweet is disputed and might be misleading about an election or other civic process.

:smile:

CavySlaveJambo
4 minutes ago, Gone said:

I had CNN on earlier and you'd never guess they and Trump had a falling out. Biased as it gets haha

Trump falling out with the media. I don’t think there is a news channel that he hasn’t had a falling out with. 

4 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

It boggles the mind when you realize that after four years of this demented fraud's behaviour being on fool(sic) display that the Democrats have still, somehow managed to turn this into a squeaker.

What boggles the mind even more is all this blame being put on desperate, ordinary folk who have never been served by any political party, instead of squarely where it belongs: the Dem establishment.

2 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

His timeline is tremendous 🤣

Some or all of the content in this tweet is disputed and might be misleading about an election or other civic process.

:smile:

I saw that earlier. He's a delusional old prick.

k, now Im really confused.  Why does Maine still have 1 vote left to declare, and for others its winner takes all for the college seats?

Edited by Captain Slog

1 minute ago, Captain Slog said:

k, now Im really confused.  Why does Maine still have 1 vote left to declare, and for others its winner takes all for the college seats?

Each state can assign its electoral college votes as it wishes.

Maine and Nebraska choose to split theirs based on the winner getting a baseline number and then the rest being divided up by vote proportion.

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Maine has 5 electoral college votes, but unlike almost all other states, it's not winner takes all, instead it's 2 votes for the statewide winner, and 1 vote each for the winner of the three districts within the state.

Nebraska has the same thing, and NE-2 (which went for Biden, with one electoral college vote) could end up being vital.

10 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Indeed.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)