U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

One thought on the lack of backbone amongst the Republican high heid yins.

Surely the ONLY space to position yourself is away from the crazies, you can't out-Trump Trump so why go there? My own view is that a big chunk of the Republican vote is Trump's personal vote. Another extreme right wing candidate without his persona appeal (whatever it is he seems to chime with a significant minority) won't pull in the same way at all. Trump's persona, narcisssism, bullying, compulsive lying is just who he is. He's a genuine psycopath who has caught break after break in life. You can't fake that shit for years on end.

America’s Next Authoritarian Will Be Much More Competent

Trump was ineffective and easily beaten. A future strongman won’t be.

FULL ARTICLE

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

If Tucker Carlson is calling you out for being an evidence-free nutjob, it's time to pack it in :) 

Yup.

That's how ridiculous this is getting.

28 minutes ago, jonesy said:

If Tucker Carlson is calling you out for being an evidence-free nutjob, it's time to pack it in :) 

Just to add, all the crazies are now calling their man Tucker a traitor and that he should be sacked.

You quite literally can't make this up.

As I said before - once you have stirred up the crazies and fed them a pile of shit, they aren't suddenly just gonna go away.

1 minute ago, John Gentleman said:

Donald Trump Jnr has now tested positive for Covid-19. 

I hope he recovers from it but it’s a bad case of “long covid”

John Gentleman
19 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

I hope it gives him a good going over.

2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

As in, the worst ever reported case of long covid.

Tonight for ease I decided to have a frozen dinner. The instructions required pre heat of the oven then a temp of 375 for fifty minutes. I thought I will just sit in the kitchen and watch the news channels. So as it happens between cooking, eating, and cleaning up I watched a couple or more hours of news on three different stations. I have been on this thread for at least four years, popped my opinions took and gave some static, but kept on going, but, after tonight I am just totally disgusted with the whole Presidential situation at the moment, Trump is holding the Country to ransom, staggering amounts of lives are being lost because of Covid. Biden is just  meandering along, his political party and he being slandered and he just patiently goes along.  Well Joe I am older than you so can call you a placid old fart for gods sake man get to a podium and tell Trump to get off his fat arse and get the movers to get him out, get mad for if not for you for the Country tell Trump what he is, he has proved he is. liar, tell him he is a bully, and tell him he is a fornicating adulterer who insults a proud military which he used as in this post election crap devious means to avoid serving. Mr President Elect use that title to show what you will be when the Elect is no longer applicable, I am not an American, but all my life have had great respect for your Country and its people, but to be honest the present situation just turns my stomach.

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Tonight for ease I decided to have a frozen dinner. The instructions required pre heat of the oven then a temp of 375 for fifty minutes. I thought I will just sit in the kitchen and watch the news channels. So as it happens between cooking, eating, and cleaning up I watched a couple or more hours of news on three different stations. I have been on this thread for at least four years, popped my opinions took and gave some static, but kept on going, but, after tonight I am just totally disgusted with the whole Presidential situation at the moment, Trump is holding the Country to ransom, staggering amounts of lives are being lost because of Covid. Biden is just  meandering along, his political party and he being slandered and he just patiently goes along.  Well Joe I am older than you so can call you a placid old fart for gods sake man get to a podium and tell Trump to get off his fat arse and get the movers to get him out, get mad for if not for you for the Country tell Trump what he is, he has proved he is. liar, tell him he is a bully, and tell him he is a fornicating adulterer who insults a proud military which he used as in this post election crap devious means to avoid serving. Mr President Elect use that title to show what you will be when the Elect is no longer applicable, I am not an American, but all my life have had great respect for your Country and its people, but to be honest the present situation just turns my stomach.

The Democrats are a wimpy party.  They don't have it in them to act in the way you're suggesting.  Trump is making a mockery of the country, of their elections, of their democracy, and all the Dems can do is stand on the sidelines and wring their hands.

It's no surprise that the Republicans can push the Democrats around so easily.  The Dems have no backbone.

The Mighty Thor
14 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

it’s bad enough that Trump acts like a twelve year old. Xi acts like he’s eleven.

That just didn't get the credit it deserved. 

Tough school! 😞

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Well said. The Democrats need to fight back and stop trying to be morally superior. 

10 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-55005815

:vrface:

And the Red cockwombles will believe it too!

The crazies would believe that E.T. & his buddies had been seen unloading boxes of ballots from their spacecraft into the back of a Biden/Harris van, if it had come from one of their 'trusted' sources, like facebook, twitter, Trump, Jones or Giuliani.

Fox news used to be on that list, but they've fallen out of favour recently.

Michigan Republicans seek to delay vote certification

Mr Trump took the unusual step of meeting members of the Michigan state legislature's Republican leadership at the White House on Friday, reportedly putting pressure on them to disregard Mr Biden's win in the state.

FULL ARTICLE

SectionDJambo
11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The Democrats just need to wait for the election result to be confirmed. 

Their lawyers are doing plenty work just now. 

Did I read that December 14th is the day it’s all confirmed. Maybe Biden is keeping his powder dry for then.

Maybe he knows with each passing day, Trump, his family and his old guard are making themselves look more ridiculous and corrupt to the point of destroying any chance of continuing a serious political career.

It’s all been predicted for months, how he would behave if beaten.

He thought he had his ducks lined up by his pre election shenanigans, for example the Supreme Court appointment, but he was wrong.

As daily Covid cases in the USA near 200k, the G20 meets virtualy and top of the agenda for the world leaders is the pandemic response.

As the discussions started Trump logged off .... to play golf
As George Galloway once said
"Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability"
truly a leader amongst men 😂😂😂

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/21/donald-trump-g20-pandemic-golf-club

Kalamazoo Jambo

Not a big surprise, but the judge in the Pennsylvania Federal case that Giuliani and co worked on has dismissed it with prejudice. The judge rightly shredded the Trump team’s arguments.

4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Did I read that December 14th is the day it’s all confirmed. Maybe Biden is keeping his powder dry for then.

Maybe he knows with each passing day, Trump, his family and his old guard are making themselves look more ridiculous and corrupt to the point of destroying any chance of continuing a serious political career.

He thought he had his ducks lined up by his pre election shenanigans, for example the Supreme Court appointment, but he was wrong.

The 12th rings to me, but I may be wrong.  That could just be one state.

Regardless, I just wish they would end this suffering and put the ****er down.

Actually no.  Prolong it as much as possible.

Maybe even into January.

Trump lives in his own little world.  He realises nothing.  He is King.

Edited by Lovecraft

On 20/11/2020 at 10:55, Maple Leaf said:

Bizarre is right, even Republicans whom he has personally insulted, like Cruz and Rubio.  They are now happy members of the cult.

I could perhaps understand that they were afraid of his power as President, but within a few weeks he will no longer be President, just a bitter loser, so why are they still supporting him?

Sure, Trump got 74 million votes, but the majority of those would have simply been loyal Republicans voting the Republican ticket.  The Trump cultists will eventually fade away once their Glorious Leader is seen as nothing more than a loud-mouthed has-been.  Nobody can stay mad forever, with the possible exception of Trump himself.

It's because he has the unwavering support of his huge base, they are never going to desert him.

Cruz or Rubio, Trump could and would destroy them if they failed to side with him. If Trump tells his base to pull support for any Republican Senator or State Governor they would lose their next election race. In fact he could easily beat them himself in an election in most red states, if he ran against Cruz for example, he'd wipe the floor with him. Trump will control the Republican party, in or out of office, until the day he dies. Sad but true.

10 minutes ago, Boston Jambo said:

It's because he has the unwavering support of his huge base, they are never going to desert him.

Cruz or Rubio, Trump could and would destroy them if they failed to side with him. If Trump tells his base to pull support for any Republican Senator or State Governor they would lose their next election race. In fact he could easily beat them himself in an election in most red states, if he ran against Cruz for example, he'd wipe the floor with him. Trump will control the Republican party, in or out of office, until the day he dies. Sad but true.

Yeah, and they have nobody to blame but themselves.  The Republicans I mean.

They guys at the top don't care, as they are making millions from all the morons giving them cash.

It just sums up America perfectly.  They haven't moved on with the rest of the world.

Snake oil for cash.....

Edited by Lovecraft

Listened to  a Democrat and a Republican I think they were Senators, both are military veterans. They agree that Trumps move to only leave 2500 troops in Afghanistan is unwise, it is barely enough to protect themselves against Taliban let alone do anything operational. One of them I am not sure which as I was actually busy at the time and was just listening, but the comment was made its a terrible decision made by a man who was a draft dodger. Never heard anyone let alone an elected official actually say that.

10 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

The more I learn the more I think it's entirely plausable that one of the reasons why Trump et al think they have been cheated is because they did everything in their power to fix the election in their favour and in their minds the only way they could get beat was for Biden to have cheated more than they did.

You have to remember with the smartest guy in the room assisted by sharp as a tack Rudy, how could they lose. 😏

Going for a second recount in Georgia, CNN reporting.

Biden won by 12,000+ votes on the first recount.

A waste of tax payers money and just a delaying tactic, in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Not a big surprise, but the judge in the Pennsylvania Federal case that Giuliani and co worked on has dismissed it with prejudice. The judge rightly shredded the Trump team’s arguments.

I think the current score is.

Democracy  33

Trump coup  2

25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Going for a second recount in Georgia, CNN reporting.

Biden won by 12,000+ votes on the first recount.

A waste of tax payers money and just a delaying tactic, in my opinion.

Does the trump campaign not need to fund this. I recall seeing they had to pay circa $3 million for a partial recount of a state. 

I P Knightley
57 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The more I learn the more I think it's entirely plausable that one of the reasons why Trump et al think they have been cheated is because they did everything in their power to fix the election in their favour and in their minds the only way they could get beat was for Biden to have cheated more than they did.

You have to remember with the smartest guy in the room assisted by sharp as a tack Rudy, how could they lose. 😏

I was thinking along similar lines; like DelBoy winning at cards. 

Edited by I P Knightley

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I was thinking agglomeration similar lines; like DelBoy winning at cards. 

Brilliant scene.

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, gjcc said:

Does the trump campaign not need to fund this. I recall seeing they had to pay circa $3 million for a partial recount of a state. 

I believe in Georgia, contenders are entitled to a recount if the margin is less than 0.5%. This'll be the third recount/audit/whatever.

As Einstein famously didn't say, "The definition of madness is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result".

Sorry to interrupt the vote chat, but this is current, and topical.

Fascism-loving Trump supporters raised $2 million dollars to pay the bail of Kyle Rittenhouse, the 17-year-old who took a rifle across state lines and shot three people, killing two.

Kyle Rittenhouse says he used coronavirus stimulus check to buy AR-15 used  in fatal shooting

Kyle Rittenhouse Faces New Charges in Deadly Kenosha Shooting - WSJ

The judge permitted these funds to be used to pay the bail. Even though I think cash bail is a terrible, wrong thing—that utterly defeats the purpose of it. What difference does it make to Rittenhouse if he skips out on his bail? It's not his $2 million down the drain.

By contrast, bail bondsmen—to whom you can pay a percentage of the bail, and they will front the rest to secure your release—are motivated to apprehend bail skippers because it's their money. It's an ugly system, but that's how it works. With $2 million in donations, that incentive doesn't exist.

It's also worth remembering that police officers handed bottled water out to Rittenhouse and other armed Trump supporters, including confirmed white supremacist terrorists, prior to the start of his alleged multiple murder. They then failed to apprehend and detain him after he'd killed someone, and after he'd shot two more, killing one, he walked right past police and eventually returned home.

Family of Kalief Browder, young man who killed himself after jail, gets  $3.3M from New York

Contrast this to the case of Kalief Browder, who ten years ago was arrested on suspicion of stealing a backpack. He was booked into Riker's Island—possibly the most nightmarish, violent prison in the United States—and held in solitary confinement for two of the three years he was there. His family had raised the funds necessary ($900) to pay a bondsman to bail him out, but Browder's probation officer had placed a restriction on his case, meaning he would not be released anyway.

During his time in Riker's, still yet to have been found guilty or innocent, Kalief was gang beaten by fifteen inmates, and repeatedly attacked by corrections officers while showering during his time in solitary. He was in prison without a conviction for three years before he was released, as prosecutors repeatedly asked for delays in going to trial. He went before at least eight judges but never went to trial. He was also held an indeterminate amount of time after his charges were dropped.

He committed suicide two years after he was released, five years after the start of his imprisonment. His family settled with New York City in 2019 for $3.3 million, but no one at the District Attorney's office was held personally responsible for Kalief having been incarcerated for three years without a trial, nor were any corrections officers ever charged or even disciplined for their treatment of him.

You commonly hear that there are "two Americas." There are more than that, but this phrase hits the truth of it well enough.

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Sorry to interrupt the vote chat, but this is current, and topical.

Fascism-loving Trump supporters raised $2 million dollars to pay the bail of Kyle Rittenhouse, the 17-year-old who took a rifle across state lines and shot three people, killing two.

Kyle Rittenhouse says he used coronavirus stimulus check to buy AR-15 used  in fatal shooting

Kyle Rittenhouse Faces New Charges in Deadly Kenosha Shooting - WSJ

The judge permitted these funds to be used to pay the bail. Even though I think cash bail is a terrible, wrong thing—that utterly defeats the purpose of it. What difference does it make to Rittenhouse if he skips out on his bail? It's not his $2 million down the drain.

By contrast, bail bondsmen—to whom you can pay a percentage of the bail, and they will front the rest to secure your release—are motivated to apprehend bail skippers because it's their money. It's an ugly system, but that's how it works. With $2 million in donations, that incentive doesn't exist.

It's also worth remembering that police officers handed bottled water out to Rittenhouse and other armed Trump supporters, including confirmed white supremacist terrorists, prior to the start of his alleged multiple murder. They then failed to apprehend and detain him after he'd killed someone, and after he'd shot two more, killing one, he walked right past police and eventually returned home.

Family of Kalief Browder, young man who killed himself after jail, gets  $3.3M from New York

Contrast this to the case of Kalief Browder, who ten years ago was arrested on suspicion of stealing a backpack. He was booked into Riker's Island—possibly the most nightmarish, violent prison in the United States—and held in solitary confinement for two of the three years he was there. His family had raised the funds necessary ($900) to pay a bondsman to bail him out, but Browder's probation officer had placed a restriction on his case, meaning he would not be released anyway.

During his time in Riker's, still yet to have been found guilty or innocent, Kalief was gang beaten by fifteen inmates, and repeatedly attacked by corrections officers while showering during his time in solitary. He was in prison without a conviction for three years before he was released, as prosecutors repeatedly asked for delays in going to trial. He went before at least eight judges but never went to trial. He was also held an indeterminate amount of time after his charges were dropped.

He committed suicide two years after he was released, five years after the start of his imprisonment. His family settled with New York City in 2019 for $3.3 million, but no one at the District Attorney's office was held personally responsible for Kalief having been incarcerated for three years without a trial, nor were any corrections officers ever charged or even disciplined for their treatment of him.

You commonly hear that there are "two Americas." There are more than that, but this phrase hits the truth of it well enough.

Not much to add to that. Just sickening all round.

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 hours ago, gjcc said:

It varies as it depends on state law.

In Georgia, the taxpayers will have to pay for this futile exercise.

in Wisconsin, the Trump campaign did indeed have to pay $3 million for a partial recount.

John Gentleman
3 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

in Wisconsin, the Trump campaign did indeed have to pay $3 million for a partial recount.

Aye, and all paid for by his adoring, rusted on supporters. Getting stiffed big style and they're too stupid to realise it.

Kalamazoo Jambo

32A824DE-62A5-4CEC-80E8-0310FBCC9988.jpeg

THIS Sidney Powell?

B2B61024-80DE-4FBA-BA81-ACF5BE6DF38D.jpeg

8D2D8CA4-354C-4574-BFA3-66D32D51A4D8.jpeg

Apparently her crazy conspiracy theories (more specifically, wild allegations against others in the GOP) are even too much for Team Trump now. Think they’ve realized she could cost the Republicans the Georgia run offs in January.

15 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Aye, and all paid for by his adoring, rusted on supporters. Getting stiffed big style and they're too stupid to realise it.

A fool and their money..................

So, the ballot counting machines weren't designed by Hugo Chavez and the software algorithm wasn't changing Trump votes to Biden ones and the company operating them doesn't have links to George Soros, the Clintons, BLM and Antifa and the entire Biden victory wasn't some sort of global communist conspiracy?

Well colour me surprised.

I'm shocked, I tells ya.

SHOCKED!

:gok:

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Cade said:

So, the ballot counting machines weren't designed by Hugo Chavez and the software algorithm wasn't changing Trump votes to Biden ones and the company operating them doesn't have links to George Soros, the Clintons, BLM and Antifa and the entire Biden victory wasn't some sort of global communist conspiracy?

Well colour me surprised.

I'm shocked, I tells ya.

SHOCKED!

:gok:

Has all that been proved, though??

31 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Has all that been proved, though??

It was interesting to see the new approach mentioned yesterday - it's not on the lawyers to prove that significant fraud occurred, it's on the authorities to prove it didn't. :D

Edited by redjambo

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It was interesting to see the new approach mentioned yesterday - it's not on the lawyers to prove that significant fraud occurred, it's on the authorities to prove it didn't. :D

:rofl:

I P Knightley
23 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I love that the judges in these cases are going, "c'mon guys, give us something to work with" before telling the Reps to eff off.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

They should try this guy next...

giphy.gif

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Cade said:

Biden set to name Alejandro Mayorkas as head of homeland security.

Mayorkas is a Cuban immigrant.

:jjyay:

:lol:

Kalamazoo Jambo
19 minutes ago, Barack said:

Michigan certifies election for Biden.

3 for & 1 abstention. This one's done too!

:greggy:

:verysmug:

Never in doubt. Biden won by about 154,000 in Michigan. Gary Peters won his Senate seat by about 84,000. Honestly, it's ridiculous that there was even an abstention but that's Republicans trying to subvert democracy for you. The board literally just had to count up the results of each County's results and declare a statewide winner, and one (Republican) person couldn't even do that. And let's be clear, as with other states, it's because he and others don't like black people's votes being counted.

36 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

And let's be clear, as with other states, it's because he and others don't like black people's votes being counted.

:spoton:

Remember that the USA only stopped being a slave nation in 1863 and from then on was still officially an apartheid state until 1965 when black women were finally allowed the vote........and even now you still see how hard the Republicans work to disenfranchise BAME peoples (if you think what black people have to go through to vote is bad, check out the situation of the Native Americans!).

I mean, the Supreme court ruled that states could openly gerrymander the voting process to exclude ethnicities in 2013......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_County_v._Holder

Edited by Cade

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)