U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This is just one more example of the unbelieve situation that a losing President is still in power for 2 months after losing the election.

After Trump surely this has to be looked at, to limit the power of the outgoing President, it should also be enshrined in law that the outgoing administration have to afford the incoming administration all due help and assistance to take over and to also allow the new administration unfettered access to all security briefings & intel.

There is a legal procedure in place, and it is not one run by the President.  However the person who is meant to authorise it - the Administrator of the GSA - has not done so and is reported by ABC News to be more focused on getting herself another job.  The incoming President could probably seek a court order compelling her to authorise the transition, but I'd imagine he might be better to wait until all the states have certified their results and the Electoral College votes, which will be on December 14th. The Administrator triggers the transition when she forms the assessment that there is a definite winner (that's apparently how the law is framed).  Until the College votes she could defend her inaction on the basis that she has reason not to make an assessment, but after it votes she could no longer do so.

If you're a gambling man, put a bet on her handing in her resignation on or close to December 14th.

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 hours ago, Barack said:

Had a little dig around, as I was sure I'd heard the MIGOP saying about electors.

Also; & @Kalamazoo Jambo could correct me here... if such a thing occurred(unlikely as you'll see below) Gretchen Whitmer, the Dem Governor could veto it. I'm led to believe, after speaking to a few Michigander's online, that her vote is veto proof too.

These two will be hunted if they turn their back & their word on the State & Democracy.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/joe-biden-won-michigan-elector-coup-not-going-happen-gop-leader-says?amp&__twitter_impression=true

20201119_221737.jpg

I don’t know too much about the topic except to say that Michigan law says its electoral college votes go to the candidate who won the state’s popular vote. And that really isn’t in doubt in any sane person’s mind (Biden is about 150,000 votes ahead). If the legislature did try something to overturn the will of the people I assume it would end up in court. I honestly have no idea if Whitmer could veto something like this.

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

There is a legal procedure in place, and it is not one run by the President.  However the person who is meant to authorise it - the Administrator of the GSA - has not done so and is reported by ABC News to be more focused on getting herself another job.  The incoming President could probably seek a court order compelling her to authorise the transition, but I'd imagine he might be better to wait until all the states have certified their results and the Electoral College votes, which will be on December 14th. The Administrator triggers the transition when she forms the assessment that there is a definite winner (that's apparently how the law is framed).  Until the College votes she could defend her inaction on the basis that she has reason not to make an assessment, but after it votes she could no longer do so.

If you're a gambling man, put a bet on her handing in her resignation on or close to December 14th.

It’s worse than this - the GSA Administrator doesn’t need to determine a ‘definite winner’. She only needs to determine the ‘apparent successful’ candidates. So absolutely no excuse not to get the transition moving.

Edit: here’s the relevant part of the Presidential Transition Act of 1963:

FA7021E6-061A-4A51-8579-E9C8ED2DCF97.jpeg

On 18/11/2020 at 17:47, Ulysses said:

The average 11-12 year old is smarter and more eloquent than Donald Trump.  The man has a reading impairment and a limited vocabulary, allied to an emotional age stuck somewhere around 12.

Published May 21st 2020

Trump's lethal aversion to reading

If you're reading this sentence, you've read more than the president has today.

Last month, The Washington Post reported that President Trump ignored "more than a dozen" intelligence briefings in January and February warning him of the coronavirus. They were in the President's Daily Brief, which the president doesn't read.

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro wrote a memo in January warning of "a full-blown coronavirus outbreak on U.S. soil." Trump said he didn't see it because "Peter sends a lot of memos," none of which he reads.

After failing to read about the coronavirus, Trump failed to respond to it. It's not a stretch to say that if the president read, thousands of lives might have been saved.

Trump's ghostwriter for The Art of the Deal, Tony Schwartz, speculated that Trump has never read a single book in his adult life, not even a book about him or "by" him, of which there are 17.

Trump pretends to have written more books than he pretends to have read.

In an interview on Crossfire in 1987, Trump mentioned Tom Wolfe as one of his favorite authors. Seconds after saying he had not read The Bonfire of the Vanities, Trump said, "I really like Tom Wolfe's last book," which was The Bonfire of the Vanities.

In 2015, Joe Scarborough asked Trump if he could read. After some awkward silence, according to Scarborough, "Trump quietly responded that he could while holding up a Bible."

When Megyn Kelly asked him about the last book he read, Trump replied, "I read passages. I read areas. I'll read chapters. I don't have the time." Trump didn't have time to read the last book he read.

Reading — even about oneself — requires focus, and Trump has none. "It's impossible to keep him focused on any topic, other than his own self-aggrandizement, for more than a few minutes," Schwartz said.

Trump's non-reading evinces not stupidity so much as incuriosity. Narcissists are easily bored, and Trump is no exception. In his 1990 book, Surviving at the Top, which he didn't write, Trump says that travel, exercise, and successful people bore him. "I get bored too easily," he says. "My attention span is short."

Trump's former National Economic Council director Gary Cohn allegedly wrote in an email, "Trump won't read anything — not one-page memos, not the brief policy papers; nothing. He gets up halfway through meetings with world leaders because he is bored."

The only information that interests Trump is information that affirms his self-image. He's rich, handsome, and popular — that's what he wants to hear, which is why he regularly says it himself.

Trump, we are told, processes information orally. If you process information orally, you likely process little information. And if you process little information, you exude even less. Every time Trump comments on a subject, he reveals how little he knows about it. He wondered aloud why the Civil War was fought.

He said he's been treated worse than Abraham Lincoln, who was assassinated. He didn't know what happened at Pearl Harbor. He's too dumb to know he's ignorant, and he's too narcissistic to care.

As John McWhorter, a linguistics professor at Columbia University, observed, oral communication is personal, focuses on emotions, and "reinforces what you know," whereas the written word "collects information we don't memorize." The latter is conducive to prolonged thinking.

Trump, putative author of three books with "think" in the title, doesn't like to think. He doesn't even think about himself — his favorite subject — much less about public health.

He lives and acts in the moment, chasing instant gratification, which reading does not provide. That's why he prefers television and Twitter to reading and thinking: they are immediate, visceral, and cognitively undemanding.

Reading doesn't necessarily make you a good president — James Buchanan, America's second-worst president, was well-read — but not reading is sure to make you a bad one.

In his book Call Sign Chaos, former Secretary of Defense James Mattis writes, "If you haven't read hundreds of books, you are functionally illiterate, and you will be incompetent, because your personal experiences alone aren't broad enough to sustain you."

Trump's personal experiences include being on TV a lot and watching a lot of TV.

One of the purposes of reading is to learn, but it's pointless to learn if you already know everything. Trump is convinced of his own omniscience.

Last month, he claimed to "know a lot about helicopters" and to "know South Korea better than anybody," right before he got the population of Seoul wrong.

"I know windmills very much," he said in December. "I've studied it better than anybody."

The president has claimed to possess superior knowledge about drones, ISIS, courts, lawsuits, America's system of government, trade, renewable energy, banks, taxes, tax laws, debt, campaign finance, money, infrastructure, construction, technology, the economy, Democrats, polls, steelworkers, the word "apprentice," environmental impact statements, "the power of Facebook," "offense and defense," Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), COVID-19, and "things."

None of this is true. Trump is a know-it-all who knows almost nothing and refuses to read anything except his own name. His bibliophobia would be funny if it weren't so deadly.

https://theweek.com/articles/915606/trumps-lethal-aversion-reading

Kalamazoo Jambo

Mitt Romney will remain a staunch conservative Republican, but good on him for saying this when so few others in the GOP will...

39 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Mitt Romney will remain a staunch conservative Republican, but good on him for saying this when so few others in the GOP will...

Romney's an interesting one, his family are the mental Mexico mormins at war with drugs cartels 

As Georgia declares for Biden after the recount, the Republican Secretary of State in Georgia, responsible for overseeing the process, lays the blame for the loss in Georgia firmly at Trump's feet.

"Raffensperger, who is quarantining after his wife tested positive for Covid-19, continued to push back on the attacks against his office on Wednesday, saying Trump’s loss in the state – long considered a Republican stronghold – was the candidate’s fault.

“I’m a conservative Republican. Yes, I wanted President Trump to win. But as secretary of state we have to do our job,” he said in an interview with the Guardian. “I’m gonna walk that fine, straight, line with integrity. I think that integrity still matters.”

He added there were 24,000 Republicans who voted by mail in Georgia’s primary, but did not turn out to vote in

November. Those voters didn’t vote again in November, Raffensperger suggested, because Trump railed against voting by mail.

“Voters listened to the president, they didn’t show up,” he said. “That would have been a 10,000 person cushion that President Trump would have had if those folks would have come back out. They just stayed at home.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/19/brad-raffensperger-donald-trump-georgia-voter-fraud-claims

In other words it is **** all to do with fraud, cardboard on the windows, inadequate binoculars, Hugo Chavez, Germans counting votes, zombies rising from the grave to vote or aliens from space. Trump and Trump alone needs to own his defeat.

Tasty.

Detroit Asks Court to Issue Sanction After Trump Campaign Lawyer Used Court Filing to ‘Spread Disinformation’

“The City of Detroit respectfully submits this motion to strike from the record the affidavits submitted with [the Trump campaign’s] notice of voluntary dismissal filed by plaintiffs on November 19, 2020, as well as the immaterial, impertinent and false language in the notice itself,” Detroit’s own motion begins.

. . .

The notice falsely claims that the Wayne County Board of Canvassers “met and declined to certify the results of the presidential election.” In fact, as has been reported publicly, the Wayne County Board of Canvassers voted to certify the election results, and there is no legal mechanism for that action to be rescinded by affidavits.

. . .

Fed[eral] R[ule of] Civ[il] P[rocedure] 11 gives the Court the authority to strike materials from the record as a sanction. The Rule holds that when an attorney submits a document to the Court, the attorney is certifying, among other things, that to the best of their “knowledge, information, and belief, formed after an inquiry reasonable under the circumstances” the document is not being presented for any improper purpose, and is supported by evidence. Plaintiffs’ claims in this lawsuit clearly did not satisfy Rule 11. The affidavits and the impertinent text in the Notice were submitted for an improper purpose: to make a gratuitous, public statement about their purported reason for voluntary dismissal, before the Court could reject their baseless claims of election fraud.

2 hours ago, RobboM said:

As Georgia declares for Biden after the recount, the Republican Secretary of State in Georgia, responsible for overseeing the process, lays the blame for the loss in Georgia firmly at Trump's feet.

"Raffensperger, who is quarantining after his wife tested positive for Covid-19, continued to push back on the attacks against his office on Wednesday, saying Trump’s loss in the state – long considered a Republican stronghold – was the candidate’s fault.

“I’m a conservative Republican. Yes, I wanted President Trump to win. But as secretary of state we have to do our job,” he said in an interview with the Guardian. “I’m gonna walk that fine, straight, line with integrity. I think that integrity still matters.”

He added there were 24,000 Republicans who voted by mail in Georgia’s primary, but did not turn out to vote in

November. Those voters didn’t vote again in November, Raffensperger suggested, because Trump railed against voting by mail.

“Voters listened to the president, they didn’t show up,” he said. “That would have been a 10,000 person cushion that President Trump would have had if those folks would have come back out. They just stayed at home.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/19/brad-raffensperger-donald-trump-georgia-voter-fraud-claims

In other words it is **** all to do with fraud, cardboard on the windows, inadequate binoculars, Hugo Chavez, Germans counting votes, zombies rising from the grave to vote or aliens from space. Trump and Trump alone needs to own his defeat.

Absolutely wonderful that Trump might have lost Georgia because he told his cultists not to use mail in votes, and like dutiful drones they did and by doing so lost the state for dear leader.  :rofl:

John Gentleman
15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Absolutely wonderful that Trump might have lost Georgia because he told his cultists not to use mail in votes, and like dutiful drones they did and by doing so lost the state for dear leader.  :rofl:

It's not so much 'wonderful' but downright scarey that so many (~74,000,000/47%) can be sucked in by so few – one, plus a cohort of enablers.

Even 'peak' Hitler could only manage 36.8% before he took matters into his own hands. 

I P Knightley
17 hours ago, Barack said:

Screenshot_20201119-181304_Twitter.jpg

Four Seasons Total Landscaping have tweeted a similar picture saying:

"You better damn well tell everyone you didn't get that creosote here!

Four Seasons creosote: dry to the touch in 30 minutes!"

Any of you oldies remember Dirk Bogarde in Death in Venice?

img.jpg?width=980

I P Knightley
23 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And they're being reminded that by their Trumpist Republican Secretary of State. 

Sweet Georgia Brown. 

8 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I have to say that when Trump has departed the scene, the folk I'll remember the most are the people in power in the Republican Party who continued to support him, or at least refrain from speaking out against his actions, when he was up to his worst shenanigans. They should hang their heads in shame, every single one of them.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I have to say that when Trump has departed the scene, the folk I'll remember the most are the people in power in the Republican Party who continued to support him, or at least refrain from speaking out against his actions, when he was up to his worst shenanigans. They should hang their heads in shame, every single one of them.

This is why I'm astonished that so many Republican's in Congress & the Senate are either still backing Trump or are conspicuous by their silence.

Don't they realise that when Trump is gone, they will have to still face their constituents at some point at the ballot box.

I certainly hope that the American public remember who were for and who were against Trump, unfortunately I fear many will just vote along party lines irrespective of who their candidate is.

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This is why I'm astonished that so many Republican's in Congress & the Senate are either still backing Trump or are conspicuous by their silence.

Don't they realise that when Trump is gone, they will have to still face their constituents at some point at the ballot box.

I certainly hope that the American public remember who were for and who were against Trump, unfortunately I fear many will just vote along party lines irrespective of who their candidate is.

They are all just terrified in case he runs again and wins.  Or one of his kids do.  Then their political careers are over.

They also now need support from the crazies to keep their voting numbers up.

I hope they all get what they deserve....  but they won't..... because they have money and still some power.

The US is ****ed.  Totally ****ed.

4 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

They are all just terrified in case he runs again and wins.  Or one of his kids do.  Then their political careers are over.

I hope they all get what they deserve....  but they won't..... because they have money and still some power.

The last few weeks has completely confirmed that, on so many levels.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

9 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:
Has to be a parody...surely, can't be real...can it?!

And that nails America right there.

USA USA USA

4 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I know it may not be a good direct comparison, but compare it to the Tory backbenchers such as Kenneth Clark and Dominic Grieve who pushed back against Brexit in the UK. It didn't turn out well for them. Trying to take on the "machine" in your political party almost never bodes well, even if it is the right thing to do. It would be nice to see more people in life doing that "right thing" though.

Its amazing that two people that stupid can participate in any way in a process that can elect a man into a position that is oft described as the most powerful in the world.  I have met some whom I have adjudged as stupid but I don't think those I thought stupid ever set out to prove it as that two do so successfully. The saddest part is that they  not the only two stupid  people backing Trump.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I know it may not be a good direct comparison, but compare it to the Tory backbenchers such as Kenneth Clark and Dominic Grieve who pushed back against Brexit in the UK. It didn't turn out well for them. Trying to take on the "machine" in your political party almost never bodes well, even if it is the right thing to do. It would be nice to see more people in life doing that "right thing" though.

I think "one" of the problems in the US, is that Trump and the main Republican leaders are suggesting borderline illegal activities, which is why most of the Republicans in the Biden winning states are saying essentially "look, we are doing everything by the law".  They know Biden has won, and there will be a huge team of lawyers looking at what the Republicans have been doing to try and keep Trump in power.  It's ****ing terrifying watching it all play out.  1 man has them all shitting themselves.  An idiot at that. It just shows how much sleaze there is in politics.  Although it doesn't take much to realise that, in pretty much any country.

I've posted it before, but...

groucho.jpg

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:
Has to be a parody...surely, can't be real...can it?!

How are these clowns allowed to vote.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

The fact that that's even considered a possibility when he's led them to a landslide defeat and, with every tweet, is tarnishing the reputation of the party and the country is just mental. 

Surely there are 'Big Beasts' in the party who stay behind the scenes but pull some strings? Surely they ought to be looking at other, more palatable, candidates who can be manoeuvred into position for a run in 2024? 

The Biden victory is quite clearly an anti-Trump vote. How hard will it be for the next Democrat candidate to run with a similar anti-Trump message if Don Jr, Jared or Eric is put up by the Republicans? 

It's bizarre to think that so many Reps want to be seen supporting someone who's so clearly unfit for office.  

8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The fact that that's even considered a possibility when he's led them to a landslide defeat and, with every tweet, is tarnishing the reputation of the party and the country is just mental. 

Surely there are 'Big Beasts' in the party who stay behind the scenes but pull some strings? Surely they ought to be looking at other, more palatable, candidates who can be manoeuvred into position for a run in 2024? 

The Biden victory is quite clearly an anti-Trump vote. How hard will it be for the next Democrat candidate to run with a similar anti-Trump message if Don Jr, Jared or Eric is put up by the Republicans? 

It's bizarre to think that so many Reps want to be seen supporting someone who's so clearly unfit for office.  

This is what I don't get, how has Trump got so much power and influence over the Republican party.

Everyone knows he's a bully, but he's also a coward and would pish his breeks the first time someone stood up to him, which makes me really wonder why they are so scared of him.

Unless of course, it's not Trump Snr. that they're scared off.

It just doesn't make any sense.

I P Knightley
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Unless of course, it's not Trump Snr. that they're scared off.

What's your betting: Xi or Putin?

Or that radge in Saudi with the big swords?

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Don jnr and or Eric is my guess.

19 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Bizarre is right, even Republicans whom he has personally insulted, like Cruz and Rubio.  They are now happy members of the cult.

I could perhaps understand that they were afraid of his power as President, but within a few weeks he will no longer be President, just a bitter loser, so why are they still supporting him?

Sure, Trump got 74 million votes, but the majority of those would have simply been loyal Republicans voting the Republican ticket.  The Trump cultists will eventually fade away once their Glorious Leader is seen as nothing more than a loud-mouthed has-been.  Nobody can stay mad forever, with the possible exception of Trump himself.

Kalamazoo Jambo
27 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

it’s bad enough that Trump acts like a twelve year old. Xi acts like he’s eleven.

4 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

it’s bad enough that Trump acts like a twelve year old. Xi acts like he’s eleven.

:facepalm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54979804

Putin performing the perfect troll of Trump

The Russian parliament's lower house - the Duma - has backed a bill granting Russian presidents and their families immunity from criminal prosecution after they leave office.

7 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Edited by Lovecraft

I P Knightley
13 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

As I was writing that, one of my favourite jokes crossed my mind: 

I got a C in my Latin exam. 

Chuffed to bits, I've never had 100% before. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
12 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

As I was writing that, one of my favourite jokes crossed my mind: 

I got a C in my Latin exam. 

Chuffed to bits, I've never had 100% before. 

🙂

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-rudy-giuliani-sidney-powell-election-fraud

Now remember this is on Fox News...

All of which brings us to the bombshell at the center of today's press conference that was delivered by Powell, who also serves as Gen. Mike Flynn's lawyer. For more than a week, Powell has been all over conservative media with the following story: This election was stolen by a collection of international leftists who manipulated vote tabulating software in order to flip millions of votes from Donald Trump to Joe Biden. The other day on television, Powell said of Trump that when the fraud is finally uncovered, "I think we'll find he had at least 80 million votes." In other words, rigged software stole about seven million votes in this election. 

That's a long way of saying we took Sidney Powell seriously, with no intention of fighting with her. We've always respected her work and we simply wanted to see the details. How could you not want to see them? So we invited Sidney Powell on the show. We would have given her the whole hour. We would have given her the entire week, actually, and listened quietly the whole time at rapt attention.

But she never sent us any evidence, despite a lot of polite requests. When we kept pressing, she got angry and told us to stop contacting her. When we checked with others around the Trump campaign, people in positions of authority, they also told us Powell had never given them any evidence to prove anything she claimed at the press conference.

Powell did say that electronic voting is dangerous, and she's right, but she never demonstrated that a single actual vote was moved illegitimately by software from one candidate to another. Not one.

One thought on the lack of backbone amongst the Republican high heid yins.

Surely the ONLY space to position yourself is away from the crazies, you can't out-Trump Trump so why go there? My own view is that a big chunk of the Republican vote is Trump's personal vote. Another extreme right wing candidate without his persona appeal (whatever it is he seems to chime with a significant minority) won't pull in the same way at all. Trump's persona, narcisssism, bullying, compulsive lying is just who he is. He's a genuine psycopath who has caught break after break in life. You can't fake that shit for years on end.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)