U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

16 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

The election result tonight will have a massive impact on my working life.

I don’t expect you to understand.

At least you're good at explaining things. 

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shanks said no
17 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

The election result tonight will have a massive impact on my working life.

I don’t expect you to understand.

Ghislaine Maxwell

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

I saw on the  news that the exit polls won't mean much as many Biden supporters have voted by post and Trump supporters were expected to turn up in bigger numbers to vote on the day.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Another weird COVID impact in Florida is that the Republicans pushed forward with in-person, door-to-door registration drives etc when Democrats took a step back due to COVID risks.

The Democrats allowed ex cons their voting rights in Florida, the Republicans changed it by saying they had to pay off their fines before they could vote. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The Democrats allowed ex cons their voting rights in Florida, the Republicans changed it by saying they had to pay off their fines before they could vote. 

Actually, the people of Florida, via a constitutional amendment which they voted for in a 2018 referendum (with 64% in favour), gave ex cons their voting rights. Not ‘The Democrats’. The GOP then screwed with the people’s mandate.

Stephane Grappelli
11 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

What's most frustrating about this is that there must have been a couple of dozen better options to pick than Biden; options who would have strolled this.

I see nothing good about Biden other than (i) he seems to be a kind man and (ii) he's not Donald Trump. I really hope he wins but I also suspect he won't be physically capable of seeing out a full four years. Getting Kamala Harris in the hot seat will be a great step forward for the USA but whether they would vote for her next time out becomes a big question. Plenty of idiots out there who just won't believe that a woman is capable of leading a country (despite Angela Merkel; despite Margaret Thatcher; despite Jacinda Ardern (not mentioning Teresa May in that list!)).

Spot on chief. Seems a nice man but surely they could have found someone better. I was really impressed with Elizaby Warren and was hoping she'd get the nomination.

11 minutes ago, Rodger Mellie said:

FFS. If he wins I can't see him completing even one year as president. 

He's clearly not in a fit state of mind. On a personal level, I hope he's OK but if he's going to be President, he needs to know what year it is. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

He's clearly not in a fit state of mind. On a personal level, I hope he's OK but if he's going to be President, he needs to know what year it is. 

Trump is of sound mind?

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Actually, the people of Florida, via a constitutional amendment which they voted for in a 2018 referendum (with 64% in favour), gave ex cons their voting rights. Not ‘The Democrats’. The GOP then screwed with the people’s mandate.

Sorry was just repeating what was said on Sky today, who put forward the constitutional amendment for it to be voted upon?

Rodger Mellie
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's pathetic that its a choice between Biden or Trump for president. My wife is just back from voting and couldn't bring herself to vote for any of those two and went for an independent (we live in a a blue state so her vote isn't going to affect the outcome).

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Rodger Mellie said:

It's pathetic that its a choice between Biden or Trump for president. My wife is just back from voting and couldn't bring herself to vote for any of those two and went for an independent (we live in a a blue state so her vote isn't going to affect the outcome).

Any worse than BJ or Corbyn? Not many places have two party domination anymore.
Only the U.K. and Belarus in Europe have the FPTP system now. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry was just repeating what was said on Sky today, who put forward the constitutional amendment for it to be voted upon?

No worries - it was a coalition, which certainly had more Dem than GOP backing, but not a Dem proposal per se...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Florida_Amendment_4

Democrats are, however, clearly the party of voting rights.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

No worries - it was a coalition, which certainly had more Dem than GOP backing, but not a Dem proposal per se...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Florida_Amendment_4

Democrats are, however, clearly the party of voting rights.

Thanks I just looked it up it said 4 democrats backed and 3 republicans tried to block it. Turned out most ex felons couldn’t afford to pay the fines so can’t vote, was the point the piece on Sky was making. Can’t see me staying to watch it though and we might not know the result for a while. 

Rodger Mellie
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Any worse than BJ or Corbyn? Not many places have two party domination anymore.
Only the U.K. and Belarus in Europe have the FPTP system now. 

I liked some of Corbyn's ideas. It's frustrating Joe Biden is the best the Dems could do. I would have been delighted with  Elizabeth Warren, Bernie or Amy Klobucher.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Rodger Mellie said:

I liked some of Corbyn's ideas. It's frustrating Joe Biden is the best the Dems could do. I would have been delighted with  Elizabeth Warren, Bernie or Amy Klobucher.

Corbyn would’ve been better than BJ, clueless about Scotland though. Democrats lesser of two evils, Bernie Sanders would’ve been good but I’m not sure if America is ready for a Jewish president, or a woman to be honest. 

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Florida is exciting.Going right to the wire

I remember in 16 Hillary was slightly ahead at this point and then the rube counties won it for Donnie.

Kalamazoo Jambo
Just now, vegas-voss said:

Florida is exciting.Going right to the wire

Looks likely that it goes to Trump at this point. Is a must-win for Trump but not for Biden.

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

I remember in 16 Hillary was slightly ahead at this point and then the rube counties won it for Donnie.

Aye I think he is going to steal it cause of Miami

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

It's not a State I've got as a Biden win anyway.

Yeah, Miami-Dade vote looking good for Trump (Cuban American vote, I’m sure) and the heavily Republican Panhandle not reporting yet. So meh.

Just now, Riddley Walker said:

Apparently New York Times reporting Trump has 95% chance of winning Florida. 

Swinging back and forth min by min just now 

1 minute ago, Riddley Walker said:

Are there any outright, known reasons why Trump is getting the Cuban vote in Florida?

They're infected by American stupidity. They think anything left of Hitler is a Castro.

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Do you have Ohio that is looking good just now

IMO, the order of battleground States likely to go to Biden (from most to least likely) is as follows. First two might not even be considered battlegrounds but I’ve put them in to be complete...

Minnesota

Nevada

Wisconsin

Michigan

Pennsylvania

Arizona

North Carolina

Texas

Florida (should probably move to bottom of list at this point)

Ohio

Georgia

Kalamazoo Jambo
6 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

Are there any outright, known reasons why Trump is getting the Cuban vote in Florida?

Yes - Cuban Americans are historically Republican leaning due to their hatred of the Castro regime and therefore anything even vaguely ‘left wing’. And this year, it looks like a strong get out the vote effort has paid dividends.

Riddley Walker
6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

They're infected by American stupidity. They think anything left of Hitler is a Castro.

Just now, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Yes - Cuban Americans are historically Republican leaning due to their hatred of the Castro regime and therefore anything even vaguely ‘left wing’. And this year, it looks like a strong get out the vote effort has paid dividends.

Cheers, makes sense in a way, I suppose.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)