U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

8 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Biden is the polar opposite of a decent man. Trump is an uncouth, loud mouthed and dislikable individual but don't kid yourself that Biden is some sort of pillar of the community. 

I'm surprised to read that.  What's he been up to that makes him the polar opposite of decent?

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Rachel Maddow revisits reports of Saudi Arabia agreeing to invest a billion dollars in Trump Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin's firm, and adds new reporting from the New York Times that Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner secured a two billion dollar investment from the Saudis despite lacking the qualifications to handle such an investment.

But, but, but ... Hunter Biden.

On 12/04/2022 at 09:33, Maple Leaf said:

But, but, but ... Hunter Biden.

To be honest I know little to nothing about Hunter Biden beyond claims of making money in Ukraine and a laptop. I know little because i'm actually entirely uninterested since this guy has never been president, never will be, while these other guys might be.

Even Kushner in the Trump/Republican asylum. And this Kushner thing is tangible, it doesn't rely on rumours of laptops it must take years to extract anything from. This is in your face grifting using a government office which Kushner held to facilitate.

On 12/04/2022 at 15:27, Maple Leaf said:

I'm surprised to read that.  What's he been up to that makes him the polar opposite of decent?

His voting record leaves a lot to be desired and his hand in some pretty notorious legislation.

Voted against desegregation of school buses.

Voted to outlaw gay marriage.

Introduced legislation which led to a prison population explosion.

Not what I would describe as decent actions.

1 hour ago, Ked said:

His voting record leaves a lot to be desired and his hand in some pretty notorious legislation.

Voted against desegregation of school buses.

Voted to outlaw gay marriage.

Introduced legislation which led to a prison population explosion.

Not what I would describe as decent actions.

Nor would I.  Not to make any excuses for him as I stated on this thread recently that I think he's a poor President, but he'd be in among many American politicians on the first one, and  among the majority of US politicians on the second one.  I know nothing about the third one.

8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Nor would I.  Not to make any excuses for him as I stated on this thread recently that I think he's a poor President, but he'd be in among many American politicians on the first one, and  among the majority of US politicians on the second one.  I know nothing about the third one.

I think it might be fair to say that anyone who has been around Washington as long as Biden has would always have questionable past policy. The US political landscape has constantly changed as have the views of entire societies.

It's irrelevant to me what Biden voted on decades ago literally in another time. It's what he does now that matters. 

Mary Trump On 2020 Election Lies: 'Donald Would Stop At Nothing'

As Republicans continue to use the Big Lie ahead of the midterms, Mary Trump is taking action. She joins Katie Phang to discuss the PAC she founded to combat the rise in anti-democratic candidates.

So now the Republicans have decided they will take no part in Presidential debates. Journalists asking real world questions is too much of an ask.

Though I expect they may form some sort of debate platform of their own. With maybe Tucker Carlson and Alex Jones 'moderating'

John Oliver speaks of Trump's endorsement for the Pennsylvania senate, a TV doctor. Trumps opinion is well he's been on telly for years so he must be popular. And of course having been on telly, like Trump, that makes you an ideal candidate to be a competent and rational politician.

Trump gets back to his favourite topic, you guessed it, windmills.

A closer look at text messages revealing more high-ranking Republicans involved in Donald Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 election, including his son Donald Trump Jr.

And the new Republican fad, testicle tanning.

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

A closer look at text messages revealing more high-ranking Republicans involved in Donald Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 election, including his son Donald Trump Jr.

That was very funny 

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Hundreds of the nitwits who participated in the January 6 riot have been sentenced.  Several of the Proud Boys are facing lengthy prison sentences, yet the guy who instigated the riot is walking about as free as a bird, attending rallies, raking in millions of $.

Why is Trump, and politicians in general, bullet proof?

16 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I think at least in part a reluctance to "go after" politicians because that's what backward autocratic countries do. And while some want it to be that it's not there yet.

But I just feel something has to be done in this instance, this was a seditious conspiracy with at least dozens possibly hundreds involved. Everybody knows it and that's even before all of the evidence that's been gathered has been revealed and probably a lot more still to come in.

Something really has to be done about this and i'm hoping it will be. But I can understand why it would appear so slow given some of those who attached the capitol have been sentenced. They're just the cannon fodder.

Getting as much detail as possible on everybody who was involved in plotting this conspiracy then constructing an unbeatable case against them will take time.

The Real Maroonblood
On 19/04/2022 at 15:01, Maple Leaf said:

Hundreds of the nitwits who participated in the January 6 riot have been sentenced.  Several of the Proud Boys are facing lengthy prison sentences, yet the guy who instigated the riot is walking about as free as a bird, attending rallies, raking in millions of $.

If only we lived in a democracy things could be different.

Trump his family, and his Fox news supporters  if not always directly, frequently state that Trump because of a cheated election should be where Biden is at this time. To me its wasted energy, because Biden will not be involved in the next election. Nor will Kamala, she has proven totally useless. I would say that Trump is highly unlikely to get the nomination and if he does it will be a runaway victory for the Dems. Hannity makes a great many comments on Biden his cognative challenges, well Trump was never the brightest bulb in the lamp but age is a very successfull pursuer, as is cognative disability and I can attest to that.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Trump his family, and his Fox news supporters  if not always directly, frequently state that Trump because of a cheated election should be where Biden is at this time. To me its wasted energy, because Biden will not be involved in the next election. Nor will Kamala, she has proven totally useless. I would say that Trump is highly unlikely to get the nomination and if he does it will be a runaway victory for the Dems. Hannity makes a great many comments on Biden his cognative challenges, well Trump was never the brightest bulb in the lamp but age is a very successfull pursuer, as is cognative disability and I can attest to that.

You take quite a close look on USA politics. 

What has been disappointing about Kamala?

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You take quite a close look on USA politics. 

What has been disappointing about Kamala?

I think for me the real question would be who is Kamala, I never see her. I watch too much news an assortment of party supporters Dem and Rep, and because of her to me minimal activities  and I suspect to the media she is just a nonentity. There has been some small mentions that her relationship with the President may not be the strongest.  Buttigeig is seen by quite a few as a possible top contender rather than Kamala in the next big election. As can happen in all careers sometimes you aim higher than your abilities, and I think Kamala has already reached that point.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

I think for me the real question would be who is Kamala, I never see her. I watch too much news an assortment of party supporters Dem and Rep, and because of her to me minimal activities  and I suspect to the media she is just a nonentity. There has been some small mentions that her relationship with the President may not be the strongest.  Buttigeig is seen by quite a few as a possible top contender rather than Kamala in the next big election. As can happen in all careers sometimes you aim higher than your abilities, and I think Kamala has already reached that point.

Cheers for that Bob.

A Boy Named Crow

They give you enough of the story in the write up,  that you don't actually have to watch it (Piers Morgan 🙄). Ultimate carcrash TV though. 

To quote a an oft used phrase from an old Hearts board... they don't like it up 'em!

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/current-affairs/donald-trump-piers-morgan-interview-former-president-explodes-at-disloyal-fool/news-story/35a81812a4d93cb3751a60957fcaa424

People have to grasp this, Trump is a total nutcase. He has invented this alternate reality and shows how much of a total nutcase he is every time somebody declines to step into his alternate reality they all know is utter fantasy.

It's akin to being enraged because someone refuses to believe Santa is actually real after you declared he is. That's how much of a nutcase Trump is.

I don't know if he copied Putin or Putin is now copying him when it comes to inventing unbelievable alternate realities. Though Putin did pull a classic himself when the best he could come up with to invade Ukraine is say their government, headed by a Jew, is littered with Nazi's.

13 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Never really saw much of Mike Pence doing anything of substance during his time either but he doesn't seem to get as much grief... as a yardstick he also has zero chance of the nomination.

Unknown user
13 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Why would you see much of Kamala though?

I see trumps lawyer or possibly former lawyer was a contestant on the American masked singer and when unmasked ken jeong walked off

I see trumps lawyer or possibly former lawyer was a contestant on the American masked singer and when unmasked ken jeong walked off

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Why would you see much of Kamala though?

As I have stated numerous times I am a single old man, tv is my main if not sole source of entertainment and information. Quite often news items include the President giving a talk and Kamala by his side, quite often her particular facial expression at the time is shown and it is not one of admiration of the Presidents comments. In news broadcasts again she has been criticised for lack of interest in the illegal migrant situation at the Border, and its only my opinion but I see her as not a strong supporter of the President, and if an old fart like I see it I would suspect many of the voting public see it, to me again Biden was probably influenced at Party level to appoint her, as she is/was seen a a possible candidate for the job in 2024. These are strictly my own personal thoughts, and opinions and are in no way guaranteed happenings, strictly my musings on Kickback. Sometimes old people spend a full rainy or snowy day watching tv, I am such a person and News is more interesting than my passed wives soaps which I formerly had to either watch or do without  during daytime TV.

49 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Buttigieg, while it's nice to see people from a Maltese background doing well, would be so out of his depth as president he'd make Sean Maloney's Hibs tenure look like Jurgen Klopp's at Liverpool.

I wasn't advocating for him just was commenting that his name comes up, for me the last and the present President have been the most newsworthy in a way, unfortunately not always positive or giving a sense of world security. I indeed find myself fortunate that I don't have to vote for the position, it is a tough decision to have to make. Fortunately as I have said I have reached that stage in life when not much matters a whit to me, I am too old to want many years to examine my choices, and too old to see these young whippersnappers  like Biden and Trump make typical young peoples errors.😇

Watt-Zeefuik
On 11/04/2022 at 23:56, Maple Leaf said:

Some would say that Biden is not fit to be POTUS, and they might be right.

That's two in a row for the Americans.

But he is a decent man as POTUS, and that's one in a row for the Americans.

He is indeed a decent man. I disagree with his record as a Senator pretty strongly and he was a long ways down my preference list in the primaries, but as a person he's a very genuine man.

The video to me just shows his stutter acting up again. He keeps it under control mostly but it comes out and he fumbles some time. I think he's about as mentally fit as any near-80 year old can be.

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Buttigieg, while it's nice to see people from a Maltese background doing well, would be so out of his depth as president he'd make Sean Maloney's Hibs tenure look like Jurgen Klopp's at Liverpool.

Buttigieg has been more impressive at Transportation than I'd imagined he would be. I didn't have much hope for him but I've been impressed so far.

Still not my preference if we change up the ticket in 2024. Of the names mentioned, I'd prefer Sherrod Brown, or if not him then maybe Roy Cooper.

Kamala should go run for governor of California IMO. She's not a bad politician as politicians go but she just doesn't have the sauce to hold the top of the ticket, unfortunately.

55 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

He is indeed a decent man. I disagree with his record as a Senator pretty strongly and he was a long ways down my preference list in the primaries, but as a person he's a very genuine man.

The video to me just shows his stutter acting up again. He keeps it under control mostly but it comes out and he fumbles some time. I think he's about as mentally fit as any near-80 year old can be.

Buttigieg has been more impressive at Transportation than I'd imagined he would be. I didn't have much hope for him but I've been impressed so far.

Still not my preference if we change up the ticket in 2024. Of the names mentioned, I'd prefer Sherrod Brown, or if not him then maybe Roy Cooper.

Kamala should go run for governor of California IMO. She's not a bad politician as politicians go but she just doesn't have the sauce to hold the top of the ticket, unfortunately.

What an excellent review exactly what I would like to have been able to say if I had possessed your literary capability.

Watt-Zeefuik
5 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

What an excellent review exactly what I would like to have been able to say if I had possessed your literary capability.

Thanks, mate.

I think too much is made of the supposed mental decline of Biden. He has never been a great speaker, it's always been a struggle for him to speak coherently. But that's irrelevant despite this line going around that he's practically senile which emanates from Fox etc.

The same Fox who still cheer for a rambling, narcissistic, seditious lunatic who when askedf how he thought it would play out in Ukarine went into a rant about windmills. FFS. Don't tell me Biden is senile.

Biden is probably the ideal man to have in charge at this time. His experience is unparalleled, a deep understanding of the geo politics, Trump wouldn't know where Ukraine is, and he's not some nutcase surrounding himself with a clown car. He replaced a man who gave crucial positions to his own daughter and son in law, a couple of bubble heads. A man who wondered if drinking bleach might be useful when dealing with covid. 

A man who distributed positions on the basis of will you pledge allegiance to nothing but me and what I want, forget the country and the law. While Biden has a professional administration filled with people of actual experience and competence with the interests of the nation being the main objective.

Forget all this utter shite about accidentally pressing red buttons. Everything is discussed in detail and reasoned out by highly professional people before anything is done. It's irrelevant that Biden isn't a good speaker and never has been.

Stuff like this will be massively detrimental to Trump if the DOJ comes after him.

NBC News Senior National Political Reporter, Sahil Kapur, NBC News Senior National Politics Reporter, Jonathan Allen, and Senior Political Correspondent for the Washington Examiner, David Drucker, join José Díaz-Balart to discuss the latest audio recordings of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy saying former President Trump admitted to bearing 'some responsibility for what happened' on Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. 

Even More Bombshell Audio Recordings Of Kevin McCarthy Come To Light

Marjorie Taylor Greene Doesn’t ‘Recall’ If She Urged Trump To Impose Martial Law

Mehdi Hasan: “Greene's ridiculous refusal to answer anything truthfully was hardly convincing, and in many ways raised even more questions about the Republicans' attempt to overturn the 2020 election.”

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think too much is made of the supposed mental decline of Biden. He has never been a great speaker, it's always been a struggle for him to speak coherently. But that's irrelevant despite this line going around that he's practically senile which emanates from Fox etc.

The same Fox who still cheer for a rambling, narcissistic, seditious lunatic who when askedf how he thought it would play out in Ukarine went into a rant about windmills. FFS. Don't tell me Biden is senile.

Biden is probably the ideal man to have in charge at this time. His experience is unparalleled, a deep understanding of the geo politics, Trump wouldn't know where Ukraine is, and he's not some nutcase surrounding himself with a clown car. He replaced a man who gave crucial positions to his own daughter and son in law, a couple of bubble heads. A man who wondered if drinking bleach might be useful when dealing with covid. 

A man who distributed positions on the basis of will you pledge allegiance to nothing but me and what I want, forget the country and the law. While Biden has a professional administration filled with people of actual experience and competence with the interests of the nation being the main objective.

Forget all this utter shite about accidentally pressing red buttons. Everything is discussed in detail and reasoned out by highly professional people before anything is done. It's irrelevant that Biden isn't a good speaker and never has been.

On the Ukraine situation, he's been close to ideal. His foreign policy competence and experience combined with him being chastened from his support of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars has made him about the best we could have.

Domestically, he couldn't get his agenda through the Senate, despite that being his selling point. Chief to blame there are the asswipes Manchin and Sinema, but Biden needed to get a deal done there and couldn't. And now people are very disillusioned with him.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene Doesn’t ‘Recall’ If She Urged Trump To Impose Martial Law

Mehdi Hasan: “Greene's ridiculous refusal to answer anything truthfully was hardly convincing, and in many ways raised even more questions about the Republicans' attempt to overturn the 2020 election.”

She looks like Dog the bounty hunter

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

On the Ukraine situation, he's been close to ideal. His foreign policy competence and experience combined with him being chastened from his support of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars has made him about the best we could have.

Domestically, he couldn't get his agenda through the Senate, despite that being his selling point. Chief to blame there are the asswipes Manchin and Sinema, but Biden needed to get a deal done there and couldn't. And now people are very disillusioned with him.

I think whatever it may be be, or any perceived failings it may be, it has to be deemed infinitely preferable to the daily distracting twitter dramas and real disasters that could be unfolding right now if the Republican crazy house were in charge.

This is a party completely off the rails, absolutely zero moral compass, and have taken the practice of denying things they said to the level of denying it even when it's recorded on video/audio. And while doing so showing a complete and utter disregard for the welfare of the nation and it's institutions.

Like the crazy woman in the video above there, obviously and blatantly lying, wish they had asked her about the Jewish space lasers, and including a top Republican in Kevin McCarthy denying saying things he's on tape saying.

And all of them involved in a seditious conspiracy to one degree or another. If this Republican party were to win an election US democracy may be a thing of the past and the entire world order could be in peril.

And this is further evidence of why I believe they can't just let this pass without serious consequences for many, including Trump.

This is a Republican member of the Jan 6th committee stating that Trump was at the centre of this attempted coup, and he also states it was a coup attempt.

Stating they have evidence to "blow the roof off the house" Can they truly let Trump and gang simply walk away from this?

Watt-Zeefuik
12 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think whatever it may be be, or any perceived failings it may be, it has to be deemed infinitely preferable to the daily distracting twitter dramas and real disasters that could be unfolding right now if the Republican crazy house were in charge.

This is a party completely off the rails, absolutely zero moral compass, and have taken the practice of denying things they said to the level of denying it even when it's recorded on video/audio. And while doing so showing a complete and utter disregard for the welfare of the nation and it's institutions.

Like the crazy woman in the video above there, obviously and blatantly lying, wish they had asked her about the Jewish space lasers, and including a top Republican in Kevin McCarthy denying saying things he's on tape saying.

And all of them involved in a seditious conspiracy to one degree or another. If this Republican party were to win an election US democracy may be a thing of the past and the entire world order could be in peril.

One would hope, but the combination of disinformation, racist fearmongering, the anti-"wokeness" moral panic, anti-abortion absolutism, and scapegoating trans kids means that it's hard for anything to get through. And when the Democratic party is unable to deliver on anything but a relatively modest infrastructure bill, it depresses turnout because people feel like it doesn't matter.

The GOP is slowly being turned into a fascist party, and the Democratic party has sane policy ideas but has spasms of being utterly impotent politically. It's not a very bright situation right now.

On 23/04/2022 at 00:42, JFK-1 said:

If this Republican party were to win an election US democracy may be a thing of the past and the entire world order could be in peril.

There will be only two types of Presidential elections in the US for the foreseeable future .... one, elections that the Republicans win and, two, elections that Republicans refuse to accept that they lost, and will fight tooth and nail in the courts, in the State legislatures, in the Electoral College, and in the Senate.  Never again will a Republican presidential candidate concede defeat.

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, jonesy said:

There have always been some utter loons in the Republican Party. The difference is, in the age of social media and newstainment, they are better organised and more visible. However, the moderates in the party are tarred with the same brush by the screeching loons on the leftish side of the Democrats, giving them a choice - ditch their own party or throw their lot in with the Trump bams. The rhetoric, and the coverage given to the louder, more extreme voices, adds fuel to the fire. In my experience, most Americans are fairly balanced and considerate voters let down by their media and the hate mongers.

What moderates? Romney, and, uh… the House reps that voted for impeachment, who are all retiring because they’ve been hounded out of the party? Even Collins’ moderation is no more than a performance-she hems and haws and gives speeches then votes with the fash every time.

At the state level there’s a few holdouts like Hogan, who’s moderate in the same way Theresa May is moderate. He’ll cut taxes on the wealthy year over year and block voting rights legislation, but will occasionally try to actually govern.

All the old moderates quit, went independent, became Democrats, or threw over with the right wing to hold onto their jobs.

So, it's the fault of the left wing part of the Democrats that the Republican party is now a far right terrorist organisation?

OK, got it.

dobmisterdobster

An American said to me that the UK's political system is Socialism vs Diet Socialism.

American politics is a different animal.

6 hours ago, jonesy said:

There have always been some utter loons in the Republican Party. The difference is, in the age of social media and newstainment, they are better organised and more visible. However, the moderates in the party are tarred with the same brush by the screeching loons on the leftish side of the Democrats, giving them a choice - ditch their own party or throw their lot in with the Trump bams. The rhetoric, and the coverage given to the louder, more extreme voices, adds fuel to the fire. In my experience, most Americans are fairly balanced and considerate voters let down by their media and the hate mongers.

Interesting post. 

I have some family members in Michigan, about a dozen people of voting age. All are white, middle class, fully employed and are fun-filled people, great to be around.  They rarely talk about politics, at least when I'm around.

They all identify as Republicans.  The Republican party is the one that will represent their Conservative views about abortion, gay rights, the Second Amendment, and immigration.  They voted for Trump twice, simply because he was the Republican candidate.  They voted for Romney, Bush, et al for the same reason.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

I was talking more about voters than elected representatives, bud.

Sadly, your last point re holding onto their jobs is too true. Looks like old Geordie W. was right re factions.

My uncle, who just passed away, and his son are/were both the kinds of moderate Republicans you talk about. They voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 and I don't know how they're voting for down-ballot stuff these days. My uncle lived in Florida, and I think he was pretty horrified by DeSantis's "maximum cruelty all the time to pwn the libs" shtick.

The problem is partisanship (and particularly right-wing media, including social media) is that it eats away people's connection to reality. My next door neighbors are what'd you probably call working class Republicans, and two of the family are notably pretty low key racist. They stopped speaking to me for a good bit during 2020 because of politics, and for a month or two were sure the election had been stolen. (They were thankfully apparently horrified by Jan 6 and it seems to have brought them around a little bit.)

The thing is, supporting Trump, particularly in 2020 when there wasn't any more doubt left about who he was, is kind of a bright line. Anyone who signed up for that, it just takes me a long time to trust them on just about anything now. I'm not saying 70 million Americans are dead to me for good, but until they're willing to look back with a little bit of remorse, what the hell am I supposed to think of them?

Just heard on the news Trump has been found guilty of contempt by a New York Judge I believe for not answering subpoenas, he will be fined $10,000 day  until he does. 

Watt-Zeefuik
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sorry to hear about your uncle. :( 

Most of the Americans I know are moderate Republicans. I don't believe all voted for Trump.

As I've no real skin in the game, I am in no position to judge, so don't want to come off as preachy. Nevertheless, I cannot get on board with trusting someone more or less based on who they voted for. There are a myriad of reasons, some valid, some complex, some absolutely bananas, as to why people might vote for a party or candidate, but I don't think distrusting those who vote differently to ourselves is a healthy position for any country to find itself in. Of course, I'd imagine that your situation is reflected nationwide, so please don't take that as a personal dig. It's just a symptom of a very polarised, echo chambered society :( 

I very much agree with this and this is my take during what used to pass for "normal" political times. But Trump was not normal. No US President of any stripe has ever tried to stoke a coup to prevent the peaceful transition of power, and that was just the final act of an absolutely horrific Presidency.

I know some people who either didn't vote, voted for particularly silly and useless third parties, or even voted for Trump in 2016 for reasons that I thought were silly or ignorant but made sense to them and weren't evil. But that was 2016. By 2020, if you'd paid attention at all, it was clear who the guy was. And a huge number of people signed up for four more years of that.

I'm not one to go around making "If so-and-so wins we're leaving the country" declarations. I lived through the GWB years of disastrous and murderous wars of choice. But my spouse and I were seriously investigating our options in case Trump won again. (short version: because of our fields and credentials it would be fairly easy for us both to get careers and work permits in Scotland, and hey I'd get to see the Hearts on the regular, but we'd leave a lot of family and friends behind). That's not saying we'd have necessarily done that. But the notion of living in a country that collectively decided it wanted more of that was really, really hard to stomach. It's still hard, even with the 2020 wins. We'd never done that kind of serious investigating before. That's how bad this is.

Captain Slog
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I very much agree with this and this is my take during what used to pass for "normal" political times. But Trump was not normal. No US President of any stripe has ever tried to stoke a coup to prevent the peaceful transition of power, and that was just the final act of an absolutely horrific Presidency.

I know some people who either didn't vote, voted for particularly silly and useless third parties, or even voted for Trump in 2016 for reasons that I thought were silly or ignorant but made sense to them and weren't evil. But that was 2016. By 2020, if you'd paid attention at all, it was clear who the guy was. And a huge number of people signed up for four more years of that.

I'm not one to go around making "If so-and-so wins we're leaving the country" declarations. I lived through the GWB years of disastrous and murderous wars of choice. But my spouse and I were seriously investigating our options in case Trump won again. (short version: because of our fields and credentials it would be fairly easy for us both to get careers and work permits in Scotland, and hey I'd get to see the Hearts on the regular, but we'd leave a lot of family and friends behind). That's not saying we'd have necessarily done that. But the notion of living in a country that collectively decided it wanted more of that was really, really hard to stomach. It's still hard, even with the 2020 wins. We'd never done that kind of serious investigating before. That's how bad this is.

My partner left Kansas to come to Edinburgh last year, partly for reasons you touch on LT.

And also because, as a teacher, of the Alice drills and the suggestions she should be armed in class because of the gun culture.

Its truly sad, I'd always thought i'd be the one to emigrate to be with her, after hearing her, me moving there wasn't ever an option

Captain Slog
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Cue another series of rallies to raise funds.

@dorothy just responded with the line - pity it was a civil case, or he'd be in jail now.

13 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

That's pretty much how I feel about it. It was a very bad choice to go with Trump even in 2016, he's pretty much a low IQ lowlife failed businessman come scammer who somehow created a brand of portraying himself as a successful business mogul to the extent of playing one in a reality TV show.

There was absolutely nothing to recommend him as fit for such a position. Not a single thing and countless things to make him infinitely less than desirable.

You think if say Obama had a history like Trump and been caught on tape talking about unwanted sexual molestation such as "grab them by the pussy" molestation they would have let that pass? Doesn't matter. Just guy talk.

And by 2020 it had to be clear to any rational person this was not just a simpleton but a dangerous, seditious, raving nutcase who deliberately and consciously sparked then effectively stoked a riot in which people died.

Those missing hours on the day, Trump was trying to manipulate a situation in which the election result would not be verified that night, so he would still be president, then he would declare martial law and effectively stage the coup as this is necessary due to the civil unrest I caused. 

A man Republican house leader Kevin McCarthy said he was convinced was on Putin's payroll.

Any reasonable rational person opting for that, deliberately opting for potentially global catastrophe, I can't forgive them for that no matter their reasoning.

Edited by JFK-1

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)