U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Giuliani: fight with combat?  (at rally).

He said trial by combat which might prove to be one of the more damning inflammatory comments that day. I suspect he may have been watching 'Game of Thrones'

Incidentally I thought this scene to be a truly impressive performance by Peter Dinklage. Perhaps drawing on some bitter memories of his own life to get into the head of his character in this scene.

https://youtu.be/PpI-HyaAFz4

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, JWL said:

I remember 9/11 and thinking how Giuliani had conducted himself with total admiration. That comment is just the extremes of crass and inflammatory.

He happened to be mayor at the time, wold he have acted like nowt had happened? He was always what he is now.

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

He happened to be mayor at the time, wold he have acted like nowt had happened? He was always what he is now.

I've heard it said before he's basically been in the right place at the right time. His reaction to 9/11 didn't make him a saint, it was just that he happened to be mayor at that time. 

Likewise, his "tough on crime" cleaning up of the city likely had more to do with Roe v Wade than anything he did.

None of that matters now, he'll be remembered for Borat, the Four Seasons debacle and a hair dye malfunction...

I keep thinking the establishment will find a way to stop Trump permanently. I'm thinking along those lines because events have demonstrated how dangerous this level of fantastic lying with absolutely zero evidence can be.

Most people think it's absurd, but large numbers out there either claim they believe it because they have a malevolent agenda it suits. And a further segment are so far out of touch with reality they completely believe every facet of it no matter how many levels of stupidity are iced on as it progresses.

And that's all Trump is. A conspiracy nut like Alex Jones but with an even larger cult like audience. I saw no complaints around fears of Alex Jones being 'martyred' when all the big outlets like YouTube, Facebook etc. banned him from their platforms. There is no difference in substance between him and Trump.

And now the establishment his own Republican party included has seen first hand how deadly this can become. They have seen the wackos gathered by Trump on January 6th then attack the very seat if their democracy threatening to hang some of them too while police are being beaten to death.

Leave Trump at liberty to continue with his insane lies about a stolen election and so much more and that wont be an isolated incident. That will simply be the first high profile incident of many more to come. The YouTube link i'm posting here is primed to start at a point where it will be illustrated in perfect detail how there are complete wackos who will act on these deranged lies no matter how ludicrous.

The 'pizzagate' conspiracy stupidity started by and Fueled by Alex Jones. There's video of the wacko who drove to the pizza parlour in question looking for the 'dungeon' where the kids are being kept. And this is just an example of what will happen if Trump is left in peace to continue peddling his deranged babble to an even bigger and more cult like audience than Jones has.

When they themselves are now potential targets the establishment wont sit back and let that run free.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I keep thinking the establishment will find a way to stop Trump permanently.

There's an easy way. Can't remember what it's called (not impeachment) but the Senate can ban him from ever holding public office again and it only requires a 51/49 majority and not the larger one required to impeach 65/35 (iirc). But then Pelosi wouldn't be able to grandstand about impeaching him so they'll go down that route and probably fail again because they are unlikely to get 15 GOP Senators to turn. 5 or 6 yes but probably not 15. 

14 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Haha when it comes to American politics, pretty much! There was a brief window early last year before the dems colluded to kneecap Sanders though.

I did really want to have hope and give this administration a fair chance to prove me wrong. But cynicism is never far behind :)

The only difference between a Democrat and a Republican is the spelling.

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I have seen it often on JKB, even a broken clock gives the correct time twice a day.

Of course he has joined the fruit loop brigade he is one also.   

Of course Trump uses him, he says nothing when Trump doesn't pay him

Both have an affinity for hair dyes, Trump pays barbers$80,000 a year to have his done, Rudy buys his at Walmart and does it himself. He is so scary even the hair dye runs.

:lol:

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

The 'pizzagate' conspiracy stupidity started by and Fueled by Alex Jones. There's video of the wacko who drove to the pizza parlour in question looking for the 'dungeon' where the kids are being kept. And this is just an example of what will happen if Trump is left in peace to continue peddling his deranged babble to an even bigger and more cult like audience than Jones has.

The thing I find difficult with most conspiracy theorists is that they'll have utter conviction that what they've "uncovered" is absolutely, definitely, stone-cold correct. Failing to realise that they have very limited resources (let's say) yet they're uncovering a truth which the assembled might of the CIA, FBI, Secret Service, NSA and so on have carefully constructed and hidden and that they're the first to discover it.

I can't remember the details of that guy's trip to the pizza parlour but it never crossed his mind that, if he'd found out the truth, then others might have too and just perhaps, the high-level, high-powered, highly-financed folk behind the conspiracy might "just" have shut things down.

No wonder some people call some of them unhinged lunatics.

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

There's an easy way. Can't remember what it's called (not impeachment) but the Senate can ban him from ever holding public office again and it only requires a 51/49 majority and not the larger one required to impeach 65/35 (iirc). But then Pelosi wouldn't be able to grandstand about impeaching him so they'll go down that route and probably fail again because they are unlikely to get 15 GOP Senators to turn. 5 or 6 yes but probably not 15. 

Nearly - it's two thirds; so 67 need to vote for impeachment. Talk of them actually getting 17 is quite muted. I have a feeling that they'll get a handful but will fall short of 17. I suppose it all depends on whether the money behind Republican party feels confident that it will do better by erasing as many traces of the bad episode that's been Trump than by trying to remain all joined up with the loons and nutjobs.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Not so much now John maybe 30-40 years ago but more recently there is a definite difference.

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Not so much now John maybe 30-40 years ago but more recently there is a definite difference.

Nah the $ is still king and always will be over there.

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, John Findlay said:

Nah the $ is still king and always will be over there.

Well I think you'll start to see significant differences as sleepy Joe continues in his (temporary) position and when the President elect KH get's in the big differences will show. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Well I think you'll start to see significant differences as sleepy Joe continues in his (temporary) position and when the President elect KH get's in the big differences will show. 

We will see.

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Sadly pretty true for all practical purposes. If anything, much like the New Labour movement here, the Democrats replaced the Republican party from decades ago in the 90s with Clinton... which simply pushed the Republicans into pure, hard right wing insanity.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I'm surprised to learn that you're turning cynical after only a few days, Justin.

I mean, it's as simple as Biden straight up promising that $2,000 relief checks would "go out the door immediately" if the Democrats took Georgia. Well they've not gone out, it's looking like they're not going to go out for weeks, if not all the way till April, and they'll be $1,400.

Over-promise, under-deliver; say anything to get elected, do nothing to serve the people who elected them: The Democratic way. As for the attempted return to a status quo with stuff like rejoining the WHO, that's all well and good, but that "normal" failed millions upon millions of people. We should not be lauding a return to it at all.

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I mean, it's as simple as Biden straight up promising that $2,000 relief checks would "go out the door immediately" if the Democrats took Georgia. Well they've not gone out, it's looking like they're not going to go out for weeks, if not all the way till April, and they'll be $1,400.

Over-promise, under-deliver; say anything to get elected, do nothing to serve the people who elected them: The Democratic way. As for the attempted return to a status quo with stuff like rejoining the WHO, that's all well and good, but that "normal" failed millions upon millions of people. We should not be lauding a return to it at all.

:touche: 😉

^^^^ I learntededed a long time ago that J’s understanding and depth of knowledge on which that understanding is based is worth listening too and learning from.  

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Giuliani sued for $1.3billion by the makers of the election counting machines

:jjyay:

👍😄

22 minutes ago, sadj said:

^^^^ I learntededed a long time ago that J’s understanding and depth of knowledge on which that understanding is based is worth listening too and learning from.  

Well cheers for that, SadJ.

43 minutes ago, Cade said:

I for one applaud George Soros and the estate of Hugo Chavez for taking this action.

:look:

1 hour ago, Cade said:

:rofl:

1 hour ago, Cade said:

That would mean Giuliani needs to work for Trump for the next 178 years to pay that off if he loses :-)

The SCOTUS has declined to hear two cases regarding President Trump's violation of the Emoluments Clause of the US Constitution.  The Court ruled that they cases are irrelevant now that Trump is no longer the President.  Trump effectively ran out the clock on the charges.

You can bet that many Republican senators will use the same excuse when they acquit Trump in the impeachment trial.

Could Trump cone back and form a new Party? Split the Republican vote? He may not run due to restrictions  but would be a figure head? Patriot Party or some other euphemism for White Supremacy\ Nazi agenda

48 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Could Trump cone back and form a new Party? Split the Republican vote? He may not run due to restrictions  but would be a figure head? Patriot Party or some other euphemism for White Supremacy\ Nazi agenda

There has been speculation about this, and the Patriot Party was the name that was mentioned.

It would split the conservative vote and that would be a disaster for Republicans, so my guess is that it won't happen.  If Herr Trump was to try such a thing, some very powerful people in the conservative movement would have a quiet word in his ear.

A Boy Named Crow
17 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

There has been speculation about this, and the Patriot Party was the name that was mentioned.

It would split the conservative vote and that would be a disaster for Republicans, so my guess is that it won't happen.  If Herr Trump was to try such a thing, some very powerful people in the conservative movement would have a quiet word in his ear.

I suspect maybe even a quiet word, with extreme prejudice...

CavySlaveJambo
14 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

America First Platform. Sounds about right for the overgrown-toddler. 

I do think they'd have seriously hurt someone if the security teams hadn't evacuated Senators/Congressmen & women on time.

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The SCOTUS has declined to hear two cases regarding President Trump's violation of the Emoluments Clause of the US Constitution.  The Court ruled that they cases are irrelevant now that Trump is no longer the President.  Trump effectively ran out the clock on the charges.

You can bet that many Republican senators will use the same excuse when they acquit Trump in the impeachment trial.

The Emoluments case ends but there could be other cases that can now be brought in the courts regarding his activities and investigations into whether money was funnelled into his businesses etc. 

8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Over-promise, under-deliver; say anything to get elected, do nothing to serve the people who elected them

Gosh.... a political leader falling foul of that accusation ?  Surely not ?   :whistling:      Our Bumbling Boris being another example.

It's the downside of democracy - we vote a party/PM/President in for a term....... they renege on 1 or 2 manifesto promises, blame "circumstances" for it, and by the end of the term most voters have forgotten about it so long as the party/PM/President have performed adequately on 1 or 2 other big ticket issues (or crisis handling).

Your cynicism about rejoining  international co-operation bodies rather belittles how important the USA is in the eyes of most other friendly  governments, in my opinion.     If your concern is for the lives of ordinary US citizens, how can NOT being part of the WHO etc be a benefit to them ?

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

has Trump shagged her?

I've added another image.

Needed to do as an initial save then an edit to get the images in the correct order.

13 hours ago, sadj said:

:sarcasm:

7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Like who and why would he be scared with a militia being him?

9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Gosh.... a political leader falling foul of that accusation ?  Surely not ?   :whistling:      Our Bumbling Boris being another example.

It's the downside of democracy - we vote a party/PM/President in for a term....... they renege on 1 or 2 manifesto promises, blame "circumstances" for it, and by the end of the term most voters have forgotten about it so long as the party/PM/President have performed adequately on 1 or 2 other big ticket issues (or crisis handling).

Covid relief is the big ticket issue and walking back what was promised happened the moment the Dems won Georgia. They are going to get absolutely hammered in the midterms in 2022.

9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Your cynicism about rejoining  international co-operation bodies rather belittles how important the USA is in the eyes of most other friendly  governments, in my opinion.     If your concern is for the lives of ordinary US citizens, how can NOT being part of the WHO etc be a benefit to them ?

My cynicism isn't about that. That was expected because of course it was. Any sort of reaction beyond a grunt would be like getting excited over rain in Scotland.

Seems to me it's important to not lower your bar to Trump level, judging this administration by those standards. George W. Bush has already been completely rehabilitated, with a hug from Michelle Obama to boot. Remember when we used to think he was the worst president ever?

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Covid relief is the big ticket issue and walking back what was promised happened the moment the Dems won Georgia. They are going to get absolutely hammered in the midterms in 2022.

My cynicism isn't about that. That was expected because of course it was. Any sort of reaction beyond a grunt would be like getting excited over rain in Scotland.

Seems to me it's important to not lower your bar to Trump level, judging this administration by those standards. George W. Bush has already been completely rehabilitated, with a hug from Michelle Obama to boot. Remember when we used to think he was the worst president ever?

I think that's one of the things that astounds me the most about Trump's reign, that ****ing Dubya is now considered to be a half decent president. 

13 minutes ago, Norm said:

I think that's one of the things that astounds me the most about Trump's reign, that ****ing Dubya is now considered to be a half decent president. 

There was a brilliant series on Radio 4 called The Republicans. Through each episode it lays out the step changes that occured within the Republican party from the mid 1960s Barry Goldwater through to a really entertaining and unhinged final episode on Trump.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000n3d/episodes/player

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Like who and why would he be scared with a militia being him?

There are very richer people in the US who support conservative causes and recognise that being in power is vital.  Two examples I can think of are the Koch family and Sheldon Adelson, who are among the richest people in the world.

Those people have enormous power behind the scenes.  If they thought that Trump was going to split the conservative vote, which would hand political power to the Democrats, they would use their influence to stop him.  I'm not suggesting anything illegal or violent, but Trump is a minnow in comparison to those people. 

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

There are very richer people in the US who support conservative causes and recognise that being in power is vital.  Two examples I can think of are the Koch family and Sheldon Adelson, who are among the richest people in the world.

Those people have enormous power behind the scenes.  If they thought that Trump was going to split the conservative vote, which would hand political power to the Democrats, they would use their influence to stop him.  I'm not suggesting anything illegal or violent, but Trump is a minnow in comparison to those people. 

Trump has so many problems that even the rich may not be able to help. Possible criminal legal actions, possible civil legal actions,  debts and banks chasing him, the State of New York have had him in their sights for numerous actions civil and criminal. I have opined before his wife will divorce him, and if he has no money she will make some by spilling the beans on him, worth millions in book rights, and tv rights. Income Tax problems Some of his associates who could be unknown to us all who deal with matters in their own way. Trump is not an intellectual genius in the way most of us perceive one to be, but he did make it to the Presidency of the United States, he does have ability or contacts to enable this, and if I was he that is whom I would fear the most.

Apparently Kellyanne Conway posted a topless photo of her 16-year-old daughter Claudia on "Fleet", the "story" feature of Twitter, to "prove a point" about how "out of control" she is.

A week or so ago, Claudia had posted a compilation of videos on TikTok of her mother yelling obscenities at her and hitting her multiple times. The police had come to their home within the last few days and done nothing but suggest taking Claudia's phone away. She's been texting in morse code asking for help (seriously).

Her father seems to have permanently left within the past month, and now her mother has posted what is classed as child pornography in the United States to a Twitter feed, and the authorities have done nothing at all.

13 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Apparently Kellyanne Conway posted a topless photo of her 16-year-old daughter Claudia on "Fleet", the "story" feature of Twitter, to "prove a point" about how "out of control" she is.

A week or so ago, Claudia had posted a compilation of videos on TikTok of her mother yelling obscenities at her and hitting her multiple times. The police had come to their home within the last few days and done nothing but suggest taking Claudia's phone away. She's been texting in morse code asking for help (seriously).

Her father seems to have permanently left within the past month, and now her mother has posted what is classed as child pornography in the United States to a Twitter feed, and the authorities have done nothing at all.

Incredible.  Kellyanne Conway was nothing but a pro-Trump fanatic and one of Trump's biggest enablers.  Why does that grant her special privileges under the law?

As her husband George was one of the anti-Trump founders of The Lincoln Project, there was only one way that marriage was going to go.  George is a staunch Republican.

I watched her on the Bill Maher show a couple of weeks ago.  Although she left the employ of the White House several months ago, she is still in close contact with Trump.  She talked of having a private one-on-one lunch with Trump in December.  She said that Trump barely mentioned the election (yeah, right!) but, instead, talked of his many great achievements as president.  

Checked my call history, found a Washington DC number, thought I hope they haven't been reading Kickback. Checked the number of course its a scam number looking for you to give them financial information, 

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

The daughter has now posted an update saying she's stepping away from social media and that she fights with her mother a lot but loves her. 

George Conway has put the video up, I think he's done better out of all this because he's not allowed himself to get wound up and involved in an argument or to be recorded.

I think Kellyanne is used to dominating a conversation and can't take that her daughter calls her out on issues. I guess it is a sign that whilst she's defended the indefensible for Trump there's still a bit of her that's human (in some form).

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)