Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

siegementality
3 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

You’re right. The discussion should be about the problems here and now and his very successful first spell as manager should be a separate issue.

Btw the sycophants chat is chronic :facepalm:

Very successful? Define success.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

4 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Leaving a team with a spine of Craig Gordon, Steven Pressley, AndyWebster and Paul Hartley wasnae too bad to be honest.

Having said that, Pressley was signed by Jefferies. Still only really came good under Levein where he became an established international.

Having that solid foundation to build upon was what made 2005/06 possible. In my opinion anyway.

Quality, solid Scottish players who understood the game over here. I credit Levein with that. Paul Hartley in particular. What a masterstroke that was bringing that boy to the club!

Alex Kintner
9 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Achieving something which very, very few have achieved (back to back 3rd place and European qualification) could be one definition?

siegementality
1 minute ago, Gregorski said:

Leaving a team with a spine of Craig Gordon, Steven Pressley, AndyWebster and Paul Hartley wasnae too bad to be honest.

Having said that, Pressley was signed by Jefferies. Still only really came good under Levein where he became an established international.

Having that solid foundation to build upon was what made 2005/06 possible. In my opinion anyway.

Quality, solid Scottish players who understood the game over here. I credit Levein with that. Paul Hartley in particular. What a masterstroke that was bringing that boy to the club!

Well if that’s your idea of success I’ll leave you to it.

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

Introduced and developed a player who would go on to earn us £9M as well 👍🏻

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

CL has just signed a new team. He’s no going anywhere. We’ll click and we’ll be a good side. Stop greetin. 

:rofl:

If we appointed a new manager tomorrow and finished 3rd in his first two full seasons, would anyone here class that as anything other than successful?  

Just now, siegementality said:

Well if that’s your idea of success I’ll leave you to it.

No worries mate! 😀

Leave a team in a better state than when you found it.

Success.

Just now, Bellion said:

If we appointed a new manager tomorrow and finished 3rd in his first two full seasons, would anyone here class that as anything other than successful?  

Making it only the second time it happened since the days of Tommy Walker?

Damn right! Chew your arm off.

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Bellion said:

That’s a very good point.

4 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

And won absolutely FA due to his appalling record in both cups!

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Achieving something which very, very few have achieved (back to back 3rd place and European qualification) could be one definition?

Using your definition  , he is also less successful than the numerous managers who have finished 2nd and/or delivered a trophy. In terms of our history,  I don't think finishing 3rd once, twice or however many times, will even be noted.

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Winning trophies isn’t always the most appropriate barometer. Plenty very good managers that have won nothing.

Aye, but we wouldnae have been winnin' the Scoattish cup in 2006 without Levein's boy's either ye ken.

People can say what they like, but Levein's stamp was all over that team.

Alex Kintner
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Using your definition  , he is also less successful than the numerous managers who have finished 2nd and/or delivered a trophy. In terms of our history,  I don't think finishing 3rd once, twice or however many times, will even be noted.

You could argue 3rd then 3rd is better than 2nd then sacked? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, To Be Frank said:

Debatable I guess but what it does do is point towards a period of footballing stability.

Something that we all know has been in short supply during all our years of following the boys in maroon.

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Winning trophies isn’t always the most appropriate barometer. Plenty very good managers that have won nothing.

The real barometer of success is winning a trophy IMO. Just pointing out Levein has won FA as a player or manager

Edited by Thomaso

siegementality
2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

What success actually looks like!

3B5F9E7D-3E25-4AAB-ABCB-DB6DB9D11E74.jpeg

A2C4CAF5-1985-4C92-8566-CE0B6D4D9C19.jpeg

CD1029DC-9B13-4D26-85A1-8196AC86918A.jpeg

Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The real barometer of Sussex’s is winning a trophy IMO. Just pointing out Levein has won FA as a player or manager

What about Alex McDonald then? My all time favourite manager no less!

Aye, but we wouldnae have been winnin' the Scoattish cup in 2006 without Levein's boy's either ye ken.

People can say what they like, but Levein's stamp was all over that team.

The football played by the 2006 cup winning team bore absolutely no resemblance to the industrial stuff churned out by Levein!

1 minute ago, siegementality said:

Spot on!!

Alex Kintner

The real barometer of success is winning a trophy IMO. Just pointing out Levein has won FA as a player or manager

So David Moyes wasn’t successful at Everton for ten years?

The football played by the 2006 cup winning team bore absolutely no resemblance to the industrial stuff churned out by Levein!

Yet the spine of the team was made up by players that Levein signed/developed.

Sure, Skacel and co gave it the flair but Levein's player's gave them the foundation to build upon.

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, siegementality said:

A lot more luck involved in winning five ties to win a cup than there is in being consistent across 38 games. We were a bawhair away from going out the cup several times in 11/12.

A lot more luck involved in winning five ties to win a cup than there is in being consistent across 38 games. We were a bawhair away from going out the cup several times in 11/12.

A lot of truth in this.

You can be fortunate in a 5 game tournament but league tables don't tend to lie.

Have to say though, nothing beats seeing your team lift a trophy!

Yet the spine of the team was made up by players that Levein signed/developed.

Sure, Skacel and co gave it the flair but Levein's player's gave them the foundation to build upon.

Maybe but under a manager who wanted the team to play with attacking flair these players flourished.

Levein’s negative approach would have stifled that cup winning team!

siegementality
7 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Where is his 3rd place success recorded?

1DD8F9F7-B87C-4D97-BA92-EAA7EC950329.jpeg

Nailed it! 👍

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

What about Alex McDonald then? My all time favourite manager no less!

Good shout. Plenty others you could mention like Pochettino or Graham Taylor. Think we’d all agree Steve Clarke was hugely successful with Killie but he didn’t win a trophy. 

Maybe but under a manager who wanted the team to play with attacking flair these players flourished.

Levein’s negative approach would have stifled that cup winning team!

Yet he still deserves credit for having that spine in place.

Alex Kintner

A lot of truth in this.

You can be fortunate in a 5 game tournament but league tables don't tend to lie.

Without a doubt 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

16 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

No worries mate! 😀

Leave a team in a better state than when you found it.

Success.

Don't really think that the kind of success we're talking about here though is it?

siegementality
2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

But we didn’t go out. We won it. Are you that desperate to defend Levein that you now want to diss one of possibly the greatest achievements in the clubs recent history?

Alex Kintner

In the hearts and minds of those of us who attended those seasons. Some quite unforgettable memories made during the matches which led us to 3rd and the subsequent European adventures ♥️

Given that success is defined solely by winning cups, presumably the league is just totally irrelevant, so we shouldn’t mind how we played on Saturday or any league games this season. We were never going to win that one anyway. Here I was all concerned over nothing.

1 minute ago, innerjambo said:

Don't really think that the kind of success we're talking about here though is it?

I am yes.

Unless everything other than a trophy is deemed a failure.

In that case, Alex McDonald failed. 

I can't and never will accept that.

1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

In the hearts and minds of those of us who attended those seasons. Some quite unforgettable memories made during the matches which led us to 3rd and the subsequent European adventures ♥️

Brilliant! 👍

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, siegementality said:

But we didn’t go out. We won it. Are you that desperate to defend Levein that you now want to diss one of possibly the greatest achievements in the clubs recent history?

Who’s dissing it? It’s a fact. I was there on Valentines Day 2012 in Perth and we were very lucky to get through. Doesn’t make winning the cup any less glorious though.👍🏻

Edited by To Be Frank

10 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

So David Moyes wasn’t successful at Everton for ten years?

Has the Spurs manager won anything? 

siegementality

A lot of truth in this.

So we were lucky to get to last years cup final - using your logic - a cup final that we didn’t win, and the fact we finished 6th - and the league doesn’t lie - proves what about Levein?

5 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Beating Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup Quarter final isn't on that list.

Is that irrelevant also?

Alex Kintner
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Has the Spurs manager won anything? 

Nope yet he’s wanted by the biggest clubs in Europe 🤔

siegementality
4 minutes ago, Bellion said:

Given that success is defined solely by winning cups, presumably the league is just totally irrelevant, so we shouldn’t mind how we played on Saturday or any league games this season. We were never going to win that one anyway. Here I was all concerned over nothing.

Success is defined as winning trophies. When a Hearts manager of a recent generation wins the league I’ll be sure to post a picture of him.

Edited by siegementality

Alex Kintner

So we were lucky to get to last years cup final - using your logic - a cup final that we didn’t win, and the fact we finished 6th - and the league doesn’t lie - proves what about Levein?

Proves we clearly underperformed. Can’t see how anyone could dispute that. 

It proves he isn't good enough this time around which I haven't denied at any point if you look through this thread?

Nope yet he’s wanted by the biggest clubs in Europe 🤔

Spurs fans must think he’s shit. 

siegementality
2 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

Is that irrelevant also?

We didn’t beat Bayern Munich in the UEFA cup final. We beat them at home and were beaten over the two legs, 

Alex Kintner

Success is defined as winning trophies. When a Hearts manager wins this generation wins the league I’ll be sure to post a picture of him.

Sorry, you’re wrong. David Moyes is pretty much universally acclaimed as a hugely successful Everton manager. Won nothing.

Same for Pochettino ar Spurs, Doddie and Levein with us and you could even throw in Graham Taylor too. All didn’t win a trophy. All successful managers.

3 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

Is that irrelevant also?

You are referring to ONE game

We were successful in that ONE game.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren locked this topic