Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

annushorribilis III
25 minutes ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

Unless Budge was lying which given the decision they then took is certainly possible she herself said and I quote “we’ve been swamped by applicants to take over his (Cathro’s) role”. She went on to say “It is heartening to see how many experienced coaches are keen to join our club”. 

She then of course appointed her bestie along the corridor :rofl:but regardless of that the fact remains Hearts are a very attractive proposition. Beautiful city to come and live and work in, fantastic resources and facilities, the basis of a decent squad, a tremendously loyal and fervent fanbase who will back the club in big numbers if not watching the present shite, etc etc. There are some, rightly in my opinion, who will want full control over first team matters and that will be their caveat to firm interest but we will garner interest from far and wide. Levein should have no say in the appointment whatsoever when the time comes.    

Did she ever explain why none of them were good enough for Hearts ? 

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Not happy, but I think we will lose and Levein will still be there for weeks to come. 

We will definitely lose (it's what we do best) but I'm not sure Levein will be there for weeks to come after it. 

Been a massive levein fan for a long time and believed that he had just Ben very unlucky with certain things going against him, Saturday really did break the camels back as the saying goes, if county had walked away 4-0 winners I wouldn’t have any complaints.

The most ironic thing about it is if he was still our director of football I would be delighted with his role this season in terms of signing! Somehow it’s taken him to get back in the dugout to get the transfers right (still a couple of gambles that haven’t paid off) 

I haven’t read everything on this thread and I don’t get the games much but would people be happy with him moving back upstairs or should we be looking for a clean break 

Away up in Gorgie
9 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-appointed-craig-levein-ann-11071567.amp

Completely laughable pish.

What her comments do show is that once we eventually can him, hopefully very soon, we will undoubtably once again receive significant numbers of applicants for a very attractive job. I don’t trust Budge or those in senior positions to have anything like the expertise or football qualifications to make a suitable and ambitious appointment but hopefully a top class candidate would be obvious to even them and make their incompetence less of a factor. 

Forever Hearts
5 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Ann has said nothing to suggest that Levein is going any time soon, infact, quite the opposite. 

I've got a feeling she'll make changes if we suffer a heavy defeat at Fir Park. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

If CL was to go who do we get in?

Lower league England - Heckingbottom 

Foreign route - Killie

Not as easy it seems to get a replacement and my own group chat with supporters we only come up with Neil McCann 😀

the only name suggested that peaks my interest is Paul Clement, available - and had a top pedigree.. didn’t go well at reading but would be a good appointment IMO

4 minutes ago, campbell said:

Been a massive levein fan for a long time and believed that he had just Ben very unlucky with certain things going against him, Saturday really did break the camels back as the saying goes, if county had walked away 4-0 winners I wouldn’t have any complaints.

The most ironic thing about it is if he was still our director of football I would be delighted with his role this season in terms of signing! Somehow it’s taken him to get back in the dugout to get the transfers right (still a couple of gambles that haven’t paid off) 

I haven’t read everything on this thread and I don’t get the games much but would people be happy with him moving back upstairs or should we be looking for a clean break 

Most of his signings have been shite and he needs to leave the club completely. 

Edited by Hercules

44 minutes ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

Unless Budge was lying which given the decision they then took is certainly possible she herself said and I quote “we’ve been swamped by applicants to take over his (Cathro’s) role”. She went on to say “It is heartening to see how many experienced coaches are keen to join our club”. 

She then of course appointed her bestie along the corridor :rofl:but regardless of that the fact remains Hearts are a very attractive proposition. Beautiful city to come and live and work in, fantastic resources and facilities, the basis of a decent squad, a tremendously loyal and fervent fanbase who will back the club in big numbers if not watching the present shite, etc etc. There are some, rightly in my opinion, who will want full control over first team matters and that will be their caveat to firm interest but we will garner interest from far and wide. Levein should have no say in the appointment whatsoever when the time comes.    

100% 👍🏻

Nelly Terraces
9 hours ago, Getintaethem said:

The club is in the healthiest financial position it's ever been in, yet on the pitch we're an absolute shambles.  That's criminal.

We've signed a massive amount of players since we came out of administration, yet can't put a fit starting eleven on the pitch.  That's a disgrace.

The much vaunted youth academy, which we have pumped in excess of £4m into since administration, has produced nothing of note.  It's a myth that it's successful.  Other clubs smaller than our own have produced better quality players in that time.  I can't think of one youngster who has consistently held down a first team place.  That's wasteful.

The bottom line is the five year plan has failed, Levien has failed.  

Time for a change of footballing management and a new direction.

Agree 100%. The entire football side of Hearts seems an utter shambles.

17 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Most of his signings have been shite and he needs to leave the club completely. 

I am talking about this season! I would argue that the have all been very good (some still don’t rate walker) last season was more of a hit and miss but he had to restart after Cathro. 

Edited by campbell

6 minutes ago, campbell said:

I am talking about this season! I would argue that the have all been very good (some still don’t rate walker) last season was more of a hit and miss but he had to restart after Cathro. 

He signed Cathros dross as well. 

Pasquale for King
32 minutes ago, campbell said:

I think because of the time pressure he is under he has looked to make signings of tried and trusted players. The only gamble is White, because of his injuries. Last season he took far too many gambles, apart from Naismith.

I personally don’t want him going back upstairs to interfere as a DoF must do, anything goes wrong and he will be blamed. 

We need to hire a new DoF and a head coach who are singing off the same hymn sheet, people not affiliated or scared of the OF. We have an academy director so I don’t really see a job for Levein at the club.

7 minutes ago, Hercules said:

He signed Cathros dross as well. 

Well there is where we go into another argument, he signed players based on cathro’s style and possibly his recommendation as well and again it was a huge turn over of players as Cathro wanted to change the style from Neilson,    Again I’m sure people will blame Levein for that as well and probably rightly so.

My point really is that now we seem to have a spine of a team and on paper a strong squad would people accept him going back up stairs and supporting a new manager with quality signings to supplement the squad we have now 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think because of the time pressure he is under he has looked to make signings of tried and trusted players. The only gamble is White, because of his injuries. Last season he took far too many gambles, apart from Naismith.

I personally don’t want him going back upstairs to interfere as a DoF must do, anything goes wrong and he will be blamed. 

We need to hire a new DoF and a head coach who are singing off the same hymn sheet, people not affiliated or scared of the OF. We have an academy director so I don’t really see a job for Levein at the club.

My concern is if we don’t move him

back upstairs then we will be stuck with him as manager, I think him being director of football is the lesser of two evils, I still think he has some qualities and I think the academy is beginning to come good, maybe not quite as good as it should be but it was gutted by the Romanov era. 

Just now, campbell said:

Well there is where we go into another argument, he signed players based on cathro’s style and possibly his recommendation as well and again it was a huge turn over of players as Cathro wanted to change the style from Neilson,    Again I’m sure people will blame Levein for that as well and probably rightly so.

My point really is that now we seem to have a spine of a team and on paper a strong squad would people accept him going back up stairs and supporting a new manager with quality signings to supplement the squad we have now 

No manager worth his salt will work under Levein. Not looking for an argument mate but our spine isn’t as good as you think. Keepers. Shite. Centre midfield. Shite. Up front. Shite. That’s your spine. Halkett and Souttar apart, we’re weak. 

45 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

the only name suggested that peaks my interest is Paul Clement, available - and had a top pedigree.. didn’t go well at reading but would be a good appointment IMO

Was an abject failure at Derby and Swansea as well. Can’t see any reason why you would want him anywhere near us. Results as well as style of play got him the bullet at all three clubs. 

Edited by soonbe110

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I've got a feeling she'll make changes if we suffer a heavy defeat at Fir Park. 

Nah, but that game and the two home games will be pivotal. 

Wipe out in them and ofc celtic he'll be gone. 

Think he needs to win 2/3, 3/3 is not a big ask. 

Do that and we'll be in a decent or good position for the derby. 

tolcross lad
2 hours ago, Coco said:

It's all just make it up as you go along.

My favourite is the thing which Levein alluded to in that second piece which was when Cathro and MacPhee were going to use a sports betting company to choose the players to sign.  :laugh:

Heres another belter.Of course the Sun made the whole interview up.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4291134/craig-levein-hearts-four-signings-celtic/

Away up in Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Hercules said:

No manager worth his salt will work under Levein. Not looking for an argument mate but our spine isn’t as good as you think. Keepers. Shite. Centre midfield. Shite. Up front. Shite. That’s your spine. Halkett and Souttar apart, we’re weak. 

That’s why when he is removed he’s removed entirely from ALL first team activities and decisions. No input whatsoever from him to either who his successor is or how they run the first team or recruit players for it. Frankly I see that as an impossible situation so he should be shown the door completely with a nice sum for the rest of this season towards his retirement fund. There is no room for further sentiment at Tynecastle, get the team fulfilling even some of its potential and get the support united about the direction we are going. Beating Hamilton at home does nothing to change the narrative nor should it. 

8 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

Heres another belter.Of course the Sun made the whole interview up.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4291134/craig-levein-hearts-four-signings-celtic/

It has been a constant stream of overpromising and underdelivering during the whole 5 and a bit seasons of Levein's current era.  There has been a huge effort by Levein to suggest that he is doing something special or different.

And the truth is that there has never been any speculation about him getting a move to a bigger club during that 5 seasons because there has been nothing special created.  Shouting their mouths off about the coach succession model and Principles of Play when neither thing exists.  About the conveyor belt of truly special players from the 'rebuilt' academy - yet in 5 seasons no first team first choices or transfer income..  Only signing players with the 'right' character yet signing Lafferty and Swanson.  About stepping stone players going to big leagues for big transfer money - how many or these have we seen?    Talking of continuity while playing well over 100 players in 5 and a bit seasons and signing 70 or 80 players.

Leveins Battalion

Sadly the Craig Levein blueprint has failed,it would be best for us all and Craig to be put out our misery.

Only option i can see is once CL Has been sacked we open up to invitations as to who wants the Gig and take it from there the current situation has to change.

Alex Kintner
13 minutes ago, Coco said:

It has been a constant stream of overpromising and underdelivering during the whole 5 and a bit seasons of Levein's current era.  There has been a huge effort by Levein to suggest that he is doing something special or different.

And the truth is that there has never been any speculation about him getting a move to a bigger club during that 5 seasons because there has been nothing special created.  Shouting their mouths off about the coach succession model and Principles of Play when neither thing exists.  About the conveyor belt of truly special players from the 'rebuilt' academy - yet in 5 seasons no first team first choices or transfer income..  Only signing players with the 'right' character yet signing Lafferty and Swanson.  About stepping stone players going to big leagues for big transfer money - how many or these have we seen?    Talking of continuity while playing well over 100 players in 5 and a bit seasons and signing 70 or 80 players.

As bad as things are now, I don’t think anybody can deny we overachieved our expectations during the first two years.

2 hours ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

This is why I’ve always said the game was a bogie when the interviews were conducted last time round. 

An an odious obnoxious little man, 2 ex players with dubious managerial credentials and Jon feckin Daly. 

Where in those 4 interviewees were we going to get a decent manager. They were chosen because Davies would have shown he was an odious little twerp and the other 3 were going to be puppets at best allowing CL to have the same de facto control he had with Cathro 

1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

Possibly because CL chose the short list and he knew a lot of the applicants wouldn’t work under his system

1 hour ago, Hercules said:

Keeper I agree but central midfield and up front I disagree 

Midfield 

Haring, Damour (will be a good player for us) Whelan (if he signs) I would say that’s pretty strong 

forward 

Naismith and Washington every bit as strong as the teams around us, Washington needs a goal between them there is 20+ goals in them imo 

as for your comment about no manager working under Levein, that may be correct but id take a young hungry manager with fresh ideas and Levein as DOF than what we have now, granted it’s still far from ideal and the Cathro experience might put a lot of fans off this idea 

Edited by campbell

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, campbell said:

My concern is if we don’t move him

back upstairs then we will be stuck with him as manager, I think him being director of football is the lesser of two evils, I still think he has some qualities and I think the academy is beginning to come good, maybe not quite as good as it should be but it was gutted by the Romanov era. 

If it gets him away from the first team then yer it’s the lesser of two evils, he won’t last when the FoH take over anyway.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

That’s why when he is removed he’s removed entirely from ALL first team activities and decisions. No input whatsoever from him to either who his successor is or how they run the first team or recruit players for it. Frankly I see that as an impossible situation so he should be shown the door completely with a nice sum for the rest of this season towards his retirement fund. There is no room for further sentiment at Tynecastle, get the team fulfilling even some of its potential and get the support united about the direction we are going. Beating Hamilton at home does nothing to change the narrative nor should it. 

Definitely 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Coco said:

Absolutely 

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If it gets him away from the first team then yer it’s the lesser of two evils, he won’t last when the FoH take over anyway.

I’ve heard this said over and over again but unless I’ve read the governance proposal wrong, I don’t see how that will change anything, the Foundation have made it clear they will not be involved in the day to day running of the club and will not have the required majority on the board to affect such change, granted can put some pressure on the board, but I really hope people aren’t pinning their hopes on the foundation taking over and sacking him it simply won’t happen! 

Hectormasson
3 hours ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

By the light.

by the light by the light 

Of the silvery moon.

Silvery moon silvery moon.

We're the talk o the toon

O the toon O the toon

We're the boys in maroon.

A.Jambo

One, if not the best hearts song" in my opinion🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦brilliant🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

BarneyBattles44
6 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

One, if not the best hearts song" in my opinion🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦brilliant🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

Tom Hart memorial shield Fester road . dart's thrown at police from Livi absolute packed mayhem. One of my memories of many also in the Shed. The atmosphere hasn't left me still electric Sensation's all these years later. Thanks

Edited by BarneyBattles44

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, campbell said:

I’ve heard this said over and over again but unless I’ve read the governance proposal wrong, I don’t see how that will change anything, the Foundation have made it clear they will not be involved in the day to day running of the club and will not have the required majority on the board to affect such change, granted can put some pressure on the board, but I really hope people aren’t pinning their hopes on the foundation taking over and sacking him it simply won’t happen! 

If the people elected to be our representatives don’t act on our wishes they will be voted out and replaced with folk who will. The governance proposal can be changed also. Can you see a point where the 8000 FoH members let him stay on if Budge won’t sack him? 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

If the people elected to be our representatives don’t act on our wishes they will be voted out and replaced with folk who will. The governance proposal can be changed also. Can you see a point where the 8000 FoH members let him stay on if Budge won’t sack him? 

Would be a bit harsh to remove somebody from the board when they don’t have the power to do what you want, like I said we won’t have a majority to affect chance 

The governance proposal will not be changed it was overwhelming voted through by the foundation members and would take something massive in the club/ foundation for them to change it

the only way we would get him removed would be to;

1, stop pledging and force the board, even then the money we put in isn't for the running of the football side of the club so we’d be really ruining the opportunity of other projects, but it could work 

or 

2, the foundation board members get enough support to remove budge from other board members and the new chairman comes in and agrees Levein needs to go, this would be extreme and highly unlikely! 

1 final point I don’t think it will take this long and I think Levein will go when he knows the fans have fully turned (which has pretty much happened) I just don’t want fans to think is taking over means we will be making these sort of decision cause we simply won’t be 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, campbell said:

Would be a bit harsh to remove somebody from the board when they don’t have the power to do what you want, like I said we won’t have a majority to affect chance 

The governance proposal will not be changed it was overwhelming voted through by the foundation members and would take something massive in the club/ foundation for them to change it

the only way we would get him removed would be to;

1, stop pledging and force the board, even then the money we put in isn't for the running of the football side of the club so we’d be really ruining the opportunity of other projects, but it could work 

or 

2, the foundation board members get enough support to remove budge from other board members and the new chairman comes in and agrees Levein needs to go, this would be extreme and highly unlikely! 

1 final point I don’t think it will take this long and I think Levein will go when he knows the fans have fully turned (which has pretty much happened) I just don’t want fans to think is taking over means we will be making these sort of decision cause we simply won’t be 

You just proved what could happen if enough people wanted it in the right circumstances. 

Hopefully it won’t get to that stage obviously.

I don’t share your confidence about him leaving when he realise the fans don’t want him in charge, he didn’t when he was the national team manager. He will also want paid off, this is his last job in football.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You just proved what could happen if enough people wanted it in the right circumstances. 

Hopefully it won’t get to that stage obviously.

I don’t share your confidence about him leaving when he realise the fans don’t want him in charge, he didn’t when he was the national team manager. He will also want paid off, this is his last job in football.

I didn’t really as it would take massive changes in the way the club and the foundation run for the options I suggested to actually happen! 

Big difference and I would say a very different person from when he was in charge of the national team! I think he will walk before the end of the year, for some that will be too late

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, campbell said:

I didn’t really as it would take massive changes in the way the club and the foundation run for the options I suggested to actually happen! 

Big difference and I would say a very different person from when he was in charge of the national team! I think he will walk before the end of the year, for some that will be too late

Tomorrow is too late I’m afraid.

20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Tomorrow is too late I’m afraid.

So even when he’s sacked/ walks it won’t be good enough for some people, you see what he’s up against! 

J.T.F.Robertson

Here we are two games in, five points back already, along with a goal difference of between 10 and 6 (can't be ersed looking) it's enough to make you give the whole fekin thing up.

It's always been a near impossible task but even back in the "old days" you always had the hope that things would / might change. Now we're back to these two arseholes playing out their Republican / Unionist farce under the guise of kicking an inflated bladder around a marked area of grass.

I've never been more ready to give the whole shite up.

That aside, go Craig. It won't be the whole answer but neither will it be any more futile.

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

It should have been ten
4 hours ago, Hercules said:

Yet didn’t gave the bottle to fire him. 

So you’re saying he’s a shitebag now? :lol: Belter 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, campbell said:

So even when he’s sacked/ walks it won’t be good enough for some people, you see what he’s up against! 

He’s totally to blame for what he finds himself “up against” I’m afraid, he’s had long enough and has practically identical stars to Cathro  in his last 30 games.

5 hours ago, It should have been ten said:

So you’re saying he’s a shitebag now? :lol: Belter 

Not the first time he’s shat himself. Also, smacking a team mate on the pitch makes him a shite bag. 3 times, shitebag. 

Edited by Hercules

Forever Hearts
9 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Not the first time he’s shat himself. Also, smacking a team mate on the pitch makes him a shite bag. 3 times, shitebag. 

Hogg threw the first punch iirc. 

Good article by Alan Pattullo in the Scotsman.  I particularly liked this:-

It’s probably helpful that Friday’s potentially hugely significant clash with Motherwell is away since this provides some measure of relief from the prevailing mood in Gorgie. It also gives the Tynecastle pitch further time to recover after having lots of inanimate objects on it. There was also damage caused by hosting a concert to open the Edinburgh International Festival at the beginning of the month.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/alan-pattullo-craig-levein-deserves-time-to-meld-his-team-at-hearts-1-4982304

Alex Kintner
54 minutes ago, Hercules said:

The only shite I can see is the stuff dribbling from your posts 👍🏻

10 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Possibly because CL chose the short list and he knew a lot of the applicants wouldn’t work under his system

I don't believe Levein had any intention of appoint anyone other than himself as manager.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren locked this topic