Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Forever Hearts
15 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

It’s a bit like me saying “there’s loads of monsters in Loch Ness” then when someone asks me to prove it I just say “go and look in the water!” 

What a riddie :rofl:

What a crap analogy. 😂

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Surely nobody still wants Levein as manager?

Aye, just to piss off the majority of this thread. 249 pages and apparently still not true. 

1 hour ago, The Big Papa Phelps said:

Thanks for reply.

I just look back to last season and I think it was 13 games unbeaten.We played some superb football and then injury after injury came up.I just think he should get the season to show that with a full squad he can get us firing again.He loves the club and wants the best.I just hate seeing all this anger around the place.I do understand why fans get frustrated but we need to pull together and get behind the manager.

The unbeaten run was great but you have to remember we signed a lot of new players last year so there was the element of surprise factor, not only for the team but also for opposition managers to get to grips with. Once they did we got away with a few results here and there. The injures didn't help but even when they all came back we were struggling to break teams down again, just like the previous season to that. If you're an opposition manager all you have to do is keep it tight at the back and wait to see what Hearts do. There's usually two different tactics, play across the field, side to side, back to the keeper, repeat and repeat and hope the opposition get bored and come out. That's when we look to find space. Unfortunately, when someone does, there's a lack of movement by other team members which in turn gives the opposition time to get back into shape. Our only other outlet then is punt it up the field in the hope that someone manages to get their head on it. And even then there's a lack of movement by incoming players behind. Ross County looked no different to the likes of Livingston and others when they rolled up to Tynecastle last season. Organised and know where each other are. The midfield balance is wrong yet again and has been for a few seasons. That is down to poor coaching and/or players unwilling to take the game by the scruff of the neck and get stuck in. It's like they pass the buck in the hope someone else does something. It's also down to signing players that are all too similar. Defensive type midfielders which we've had a lot of since 2015/16. Very few attack-minded midfielders arrive yet other clubs seem to find them. It could also be down to very poor scouting. All in all it's a mixture of things and unless the style of football and coaching of players is changed it won't get any prettier.

17 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Surely nobody still wants Levein as manager?

Unfortunately his Fanboys still have faith in him. 

tolcross lad
2 hours ago, jambonian said:

Craig Levein needs to go. A lot of the stuff he's come out with, even since the Championship season has been contradiction after contradiction. I remember him saying that within our new philosophy we won't be signing any players over 28. He then went out and signed Don Cowie at 32. He gets shot of McHattie and Eckersley and brings in Oshaniwa. He was one of the first that proved not to be any better than those two. We've then brought in an array of different players, a lot of them nowhere near good enough for Hearts. I still think back to the day I thought I was being wound up when I was told we'd given a 3 year contract to Conor Sammon, I was ragin when I found it was true. But all this stuff has been going on for a few years now, poor football, negative style, signings that are just completely weird, players that haven't played for months, even years, some that were not good enough from the start or "projects". I still can't work out if the majority of our signings are actually poor players or is it down to poor coaching? Players have came out and said they enjoy the training under this current lot. They're not going to say otherwise are they so whether they believe that or are just saying what they think the manager wants to hear is another thing. I know what I believe.

When Cathro left, they were apparently in-undated with job applications. Now, not all would've got to the next stage, some thrown out straight away but they must've narrowed it down to around half a dozen at least. Yet, no-one was deemed good enough. Billy Davies himself was very interested and wanted to change training style, philosophy and approach to games. He was told that wasn't happening. Sure he said something along the lines of ...I asked to change a few things in training and change styles etc but they're not interested in changing this system they want to use. Not a direct quote but it was along the lines of that. So if that was only him, what did other potential managers have to offer? Either way, Levein ended up with the job himself.

The man is holding the club back, and has been since 2016. If he is allowed to continue, we'll still be having these conversations on here this time next year. He needs to be out of the club altogether, not returning upstairs to a DoF position. If he did want to stay in a non-footballing capacity, on the board for example, that's a different matter but he would need to completely break away from anything to do with the footballing side of things. Someone like Jim Jeffries would be my choice of DoF but not manager, as he knows the fans, the way Hearts as a club like to play and would know exactly the type of manager to bring in to move us on. I didn't renew my season ticket along with a few others this year as we all said we expect more of the same. We got tickets on Saturday and after a summer break from football, we were sat there bored again after 20 minutes. Until he's replaced, we won't progress. Ann watches the same as us and must have her own thoughts on it all.

There have been so many contradictions weird decisions and statements that seem removed from reality.

I remember the principles of play, playing through the lines etc ie the what was to be the football philosophy of the club.I thought that when he employed Cathro this appointment was in line with his thinking. 

I was astounded at the time to read .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40095675

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/05/30/interview-hearts-director-football-craig-levein-ian-cathro-learning-curve-recruitment-failures-objectives-next-term/

12 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Unfortunately his Fanboys still have faith in him. 

They are a dwindling irrelevance. 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I’d honestly think they’d be extinct by now. But, alas no. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
19 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That might be true but unfortunately, their blind support has helped Levein to survive for as long as he has. We’ve wasted so much time and money during his tenure and all because he’s been able to get away with woeful form, poor recruitment and non-existent ‘progress’.

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That might be true but unfortunately, their blind support has helped Levein to survive for as long as he has. We’ve wasted so much time and money during his tenure and all because he’s been able to get away with woeful form, poor recruitment and non-existent ‘progress’.

So people backing the manager on an internet forum has helped Levein survive? 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Absolutely! But unfortunately AB and many, many fans (particularly on here) still believe that given where we were 6/7 years ago (yawn), we should just celebrate

mediocrity and consider lack of progress as an inevitable consequence of not going out of business! How lucky we are!

Levein’s deal ends at the end of the season, I can see Ann giving him until the end of then because she had said absolutely nothing.we will probably win at Motherwell away and that will give him another few months.

1 minute ago, bobskeldon said:

Absolutely! But unfortunately AB and many, many fans (particularly on here) still believe that given where we were 6/7 years ago (yawn), we should just celebrate

mediocrity and consider lack of progress as an inevitable consequence of not going out of business! How lucky we are!

I think that’s just a bullshit sweeping assumption. You can separate the two. We should celebrate saving the club, we should be grateful to AB for helping us when things looked very bleak, we should show some gratitude for the work CL has done at the club since we came back from almost extinction...I think some forget just how close we were.

However, now I think the majority of fans (not just those on here) are reluctantly accepting that CL’s time as manager is over. For me I saw him as a player and a manager first time around, and I have a lot of respect for the guy, it’s hard to just accept it’s over for him...but like admitting eventually your marriage/relationship is done you try hard to convince yourself it’ll get better but in reality it’s done...I’m like that about CL.

Maybe stop basing every opinion on JKB..out in the real world there’s still a lot of respect for CL but plenty now resigned to the fact we need change. Doesn’t mean we’re going to slag the guy off!

Forever Hearts
11 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

10/10. The admin excuse and lucky to have a club nonsense has well and truly ran its course. Pathetic that some still roll that out as a reason for shite football six years later. 

57 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

There have been so many contradictions weird decisions and statements that seem removed from reality.

I remember the principles of play, playing through the lines etc ie the what was to be the football philosophy of the club.I thought that when he employed Cathro this appointment was in line with his thinking. 

I was astounded at the time to read .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40095675

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/05/30/interview-hearts-director-football-craig-levein-ian-cathro-learning-curve-recruitment-failures-objectives-next-term/

It's all just make it up as you go along.

My favourite is the thing which Levein alluded to in that second piece which was when Cathro and MacPhee were going to use a sports betting company to choose the players to sign.  :laugh:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
14 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

So people backing the manager on an internet forum has helped Levein survive? 🤷🏻‍♂️

It won’t have hurt him, put it that way.

6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I think that’s just a bullshit sweeping assumption. You can separate the two. We should celebrate saving the club, we should be grateful to AB for helping us when things looked very bleak, we should show some gratitude for the work CL has done at the club since we came back from almost extinction...I think some forget just how close we were.

However, now I think the majority of fans (not just those on here) are reluctantly accepting that CL’s time as manager is over. For me I saw him as a player and a manager first time around, and I have a lot of respect for the guy, it’s hard to just accept it’s over for him...but like admitting eventually your marriage/relationship is done you try hard to convince yourself it’ll get better but in reality it’s done...I’m like that about CL.

Maybe stop basing every opinion on JKB..out in the real world there’s still a lot of respect for CL but plenty now resigned to the fact we need change. Doesn’t mean we’re going to slag the guy off!

Great post. Think that’s where a lot of fans are/ have reached. Especially those that think about things as they happen rather than just sticking to the same agenda. 

26 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Nah, nobody on here has any influence within the corridors of Tynecastle, whether it’s demanding change or not. 

It’s bums on seats (or lack of them) and a nasty atmosphere that gets attention. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Nah, nobody on here has any influence within the corridors of Tynecastle, whether it’s demanding change or not. 

It’s bums on seats (or lack of them) and a nasty atmosphere that gets attention. 

I’m not just talking about here though. You go to the games the same as me. There’s nowhere near as much dissent as you’d expect. Our crowd almost seems apathetic about the big drift we’re experiencing. It’s hardly going to make Budge leap into action

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m not just talking about here though. You go to the games the same as me. There’s nowhere near as much dissent as you’d expect. Our crowd almost seems apathetic about the big drift we’re experiencing. It’s hardly going to make Budge leap into action

True. 

BarneyBattles44

Long gone are the days of fighting on the terraces, a javeline / spear was thrown at The Late Wallace Mercer a man that put his and families wealth / life's in danger. Today's Hearts are still backed by a generation of singing and fighting Gorgie Boys. 

Edited by BarneyBattles44

The only positive thing people have to say about Levein is that he was a good player 30 years ago and he had a decent spell in charge of us about 17 years ago. Thats says it all for me.

39 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Unfortunately it's the fans who buy season tickets season after season because they love the club and want to follow them regardless of how good or bad they are doing that gave kept him in a job. The club see a large number of season tickets being sold and believe that this means the fans are behind how the club is currently "progressing". Thus blind loyalty which is to be commended is in actual fact hurting the club on the playing front while helping the club financially. It's very similar to what is happening/happens at Newcastle where fans turn up in their thousands despite a deep feeling of hatred for how Mike Ashley is handling the club but are so passionate that they still put their hands in their pockets and shell out money.

We're currently in a tricky situation as season tickets have already been sold and so that money in effect is banked.  Therefore fans boycotting the games wouldn't hurt the club like some fans would intend it too. If this level of despair was felt in april/may time then there would be a real possibility that many fans would choose not to renew until the manager and his coaching staff have been replaced however because we're at the start of the season there isn't a great deal the fans can do except make their feelings known. We're relying on either Levein falling on his sword and walking or Budge to make a decision which she should've made last season  but didn't and looks unlikely for time being.  As fans we understand that boycotting games might show our feelings it can also affect the team and ideally we don't want to negatively impact the team yet keeping Levein in charge and performing like we have done this season means that sooner and sooner into the start of games the fans are going to make their feelings known which again can only be negative for the team. As I said a tricky situation which could be rectified quickly if Budge or Levein make the right decision.

BarneyBattles44

K L signs tomorrow is rumour in Belfast no idea if true a taxi driver told me at traffic lights 20 mins ago.

Edited by BarneyBattles44

Alex Kintner
53 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It was far from an apathetic atmosphere on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

10/10. The admin excuse and lucky to have a club nonsense has well and truly ran its course. Pathetic that some still roll that out as a reason for shite football six years later. 

They are running out of excuses!

If CL was to go who do we get in?

Lower league England - Heckingbottom 

Foreign route - Killie

Not as easy it seems to get a replacement and my own group chat with supporters we only come up with Neil McCann 😀

Forever Hearts

We would be inundated with applications for the job and I would guarantee there would be more than a few decent managers amongst them. This may come as a shock to some but Craig Levein isn't the only man capable of managing Hearts. Although right now he is proving very much incapable of managing Hearts. 

4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

We would be inundated with applications for the job and I would guarantee there would be more than a few decent managers amongst them. This may come as a shock to some but Craig Levein isn't the only man capable of managing Hearts. Although right now he is proving very much incapable of managing Hearts. 

Ooft. That will cut some to the quick. 

True though. 

8 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Possibly but any names that are both likely or realistic come to mind?  

Away up in Gorgie
1 hour ago, ZanderMIM said:

Levein’s deal ends at the end of the season, I can see Ann giving him until the end of then because she had said absolutely nothing.we will probably win at Motherwell away and that will give him another few months.

What makes you think we’ll win away at a decent Motherwell? Our only SPL away win in the last 6 months cane at relegated Dundee!

13 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Foreign route - Killie

Not as easy it seems to get a replacement and my own group chat with supporters we only come up with Neil McCann 😀

Do you think that all the managers in the English lower leagues are of the standard of Heckingbottom, and all foreign coaches are the standard of Allesio? 

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s Levein alright.

A stuck record.

At least he’s getting paid to repeat the same things over and over and over again. 

Jambof3tornado
14 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Foreign route - Killie

We advertise and interview those applying. There will be plenty candidates.

12 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Foreign route - Killie

It a a big world out there and the average football fan has no idea what sort of candidates are out there. Lower league managers, ex players starting out, coaches or assistant, reserve team managers from abroad. Ex big time managers looking for a route back. The argument that we can't think of someone shouldn't be used not to make the change when the failure is this prolonged.  It'll always be a gamble, the trick is to cut ties at the right time if you get it wrong.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

At least he’s getting paid to repeat the same things over and over and over again. 

Correct and probably being paid handsomely for being useless at his job.

12 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Need to at least double what we pay to get many interested from down south other than the unemployed. Then we have to pay for the team he brings with him, again all at at least double the current structure costs. Not saying we shouldnt do it but to get the types of name mentioned on here will require a huge increase in management payroll. Could be worth it. 

Holyrood_Hearts
20 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Foreign route - Killie

McCann doesn’t sound to bad given the current circumstances! Or Gary Naysmith.....

Away up in Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Unless Budge was lying which given the decision they then took is certainly possible she herself said and I quote “we’ve been swamped by applicants to take over his (Cathro’s) role”. She went on to say “It is heartening to see how many experienced coaches are keen to join our club”. 

She then of course appointed her bestie along the corridor :rofl:but regardless of that the fact remains Hearts are a very attractive proposition. Beautiful city to come and live and work in, fantastic resources and facilities, the basis of a decent squad, a tremendously loyal and fervent fanbase who will back the club in big numbers if not watching the present shite, etc etc. There are some, rightly in my opinion, who will want full control over first team matters and that will be their caveat to firm interest but we will garner interest from far and wide. Levein should have no say in the appointment whatsoever when the time comes.    

Away up in Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

McCann doesn’t sound to bad given the current circumstances! Or Gary Naysmith.....

Both would be massively underwhelming and show a complete lack of ambition. Do they want to grow Hearts, see a packed stadium and a competitive team or do they want to be also rams playing in front of 12-13k (actual bums on seats) most weeks ?! When they appoint Levein’s successor it will tell us everything about their intentions. 

BarneyBattles44

By the light.

by the light by the light 

Of the silvery moon.

Silvery moon silvery moon.

We're the talk o the toon

O the toon O the toon

We're the boys in maroon.

A.Jambo

10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Sounds like you would be happy for us to lose on Friday? 

Not happy, but I think we will lose and Levein will still be there for weeks to come. 

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren locked this topic