Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

21 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Not one person has accepted the last 6 months. 

Everyone agrees it's been poor, but getting to the final was good. 

The difference of opinion is in the best way forward-

Some, like myself feel that CL made a little progress last season and feel that with his team built over two years will take us further forward. Some also understand that our injuries to many key players negatively effected our season whilst also accepting  that we did not react well enough or have enough balance to compensate and we need to do better. 

Others, like yourself feel that the best way forward is to get a new management team and start again with a new philosophy, team and players. 

That is the difference of opinion. It's also 100% welcome. 

What is frustrating for me anyway, is that now that CL is staying, some can't get over it and Continue their repetitive ramblings making jkb a chore. 

Every thread goes the same way. 

As ios says as well, some of the patter is very hibs. 

I'm genuinely hoping you're right, time will tell. Let's hope we have a good solid start to the season and kick on from there. The signs are optimistic that we now have a bit of creativity to open up teams at the back.

Edited by innerjambo

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

black stump
12 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Some people think we play, average, good to average. If this happened, if that happened, we had a lot of possession, we were unlucky blah blah blah. There are those people, and there are other people who think we're absolutely horse shit.

Dug Shit apparently...

I think everyone accepts that CL is here for at least one more season, however loyalty to the club alone doesn’t mean we don’t have the right to criticise his management style. The economic disparity between the Bigot Brothers and the rest of the clubs means that it takes an exceptional coach to challenge them. CL is clearly a long way short of that. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Prof said:

I think everyone accepts that CL is here for at least one more season, however loyalty to the club alone doesn’t mean we don’t have the right to criticise his management style. The economic disparity between the Bigot Brothers and the rest of the clubs means that it takes an exceptional coach to challenge them. CL is clearly a long way short of that. 

The ongoing nature of this thread Completely makes your first statement a false one.

The thread called "Leveins time is up" and it's live right now. 

Criticism or a difference of opinion is welcome by most, personal abuse of our manager quite rightly should be challenged, it's a Hearts forum. If posters constantly only post to be critical of Hearts or CL,  then Hearts fans will challenge that. 

Who is an exceptional coach that will make us league challengers? 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I thought Gary Locke got a particularly hard time for the reasons Nookie outlined.

Since then I believe Neilson and Levein have been given a particularly hard time for how they handled Gary Locke, it wasn't a good look, man goes into help you out, takes your job. However in truth Gary did not shine elsewhere, no matter how good a guy Gary is, that is the truth.

It was a bad situation all round, but it really is one that everyone needs to move on from, but Hearts being Hearts there is always a bit of politics hanging around.

As Locke has returned to the club as an ambassador, he at least, would seem to have moved on.  That should be an example to all.

Edited by Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Probably the only option as no one else would have done it at that time. I get what IOS is saying as regards some performances but we were in that particular position because of one **** only !

There, since it’s wasp season, there’s another nest poked !

Cheers Boab. I'm just being honest. I'm not about to start revising the way I felt that season just so it doesn't upset all Locke's mates. I was spewing that season, and as the original comment that I replied to was about how enjoyable that poster found it, i felt compelled to reply with how I felt. Anyway, I've nothing against Locke, I hope he goes on to be successful in whatever he turns his hand to in the future, and I loved him as a player. Seems to be a really likeable guy too, by all accounts.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Inch Hearts
25 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

The ongoing nature of this thread Completely makes your first statement a false one.

The thread called "Leveins time is up" and it's live right now. 

Criticism or a difference of opinion is welcome by most, personal abuse of our manager quite rightly should be challenged, it's a Hearts forum. If posters constantly only post to be critical of Hearts or CL,  then Hearts fans will challenge that. 

Perhaps not league challengers but the challenge is there to bring in better head coach or management that can at least push for Europe.  Stevie Clarke was available when Levein picked himself for instance and also available when others went “who else is there out there that could do better?”  The challenge for the people paid handsomely to run the club is to find that person if it goes tits up once again this coming season. 

August Landmesser
2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Perhaps not league challengers but the challenge is there to bring in better head coach or management that can at least push for Europe.  Stevie Clarke was available when Levein picked himself for instance and also available when others went “who else is there out there that could do better?”  The challenge for the people paid handsomely to run the club is to find that person if it goes tits up once again this coming season. 

Steve Clarke was only ever coming back to Scotland for Killie due to his family connections, and he wasn't ever leaving Killie for another Scottish club, due to his family connections.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Steve Clarke. 

unnamed.jpg

Lord Beni of Gorgie
26 minutes ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

As Locke has returned to the club as an ambassador, he at least, would seem to have moved on.  That should be an example to all.

Absolutley

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Steve Clark was not available for the position of Hearts manager!

Alex Kintner
4 hours ago, Haken said:

I'd like to hear this, too.  Pretty sure I was a happy clapper, but the last part of last season was dire and I got to the point where I felt we needed a change.  Well, that channge ain't going to happen (though a bad start to the season could change that) and I accept the club's decision.  New season and time to get behind everyone at the club.

Pretty much sums me up too 👍🏻

3 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Stay positive and support the club = troll.

Slag off everything possible, regurgitate the same tired mundane boring garbage = PHM.

Go figure.

:indeed:

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Much like the nonsense with Billy King and a few select other 'PHM' players, their failures elsewhere are glossed over and the party line is that they were harshly treated and not given a fair crack of the whip.

Exactly, add Holt, Wilson, Nicholson,  et al to the list. Correct decisions in every case with very few exceptions. Bjorn may be the only one. 

18 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

He wasn’t. He was only available to Killie in what was initially a very short term contract.  Subsequently contract was extended, turned down Rangers, family all still south so how anyone thinks he would have come to us is just dreaming. He was leaving Killie whether the Scotland job came up or not. 

Inch Hearts
28 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He wasn’t. He was only available to Killie in what was initially a very short term contract.  Subsequently contract was extended, turned down Rangers, family all still south so how anyone thinks he would have come to us is just dreaming. He was leaving Killie whether the Scotland job came up or not. 

He was unemployed before Killie, he wasn’t even mentioned. If he was out there then surely to heavens there are others? This only show in town re Levein is generally imo because people are scared the alternatives will be Jon Daly or someone managing under Leveins command. 

Inch Hearts
44 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Steve Clark was not available for the position of Hearts manager!

Was he approached?  He was unemployed when both Cathro and Levein appointed himself.

Edited by Inch Hearts

Inch Hearts
48 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Steve Clarke. 

unnamed.jpg

Say what again?  picture posting was outdated years ago FYI. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Say what again?  picture posting was outdated years ago FYI. 

How many years ago? 

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

How many years ago? 

Put it this way, it’s not very original.  

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Was he approached?  He was unemployed when both Cathro and Levein appointed himself.

Ffs, how many times have you debated this? 

To what purpose as well, is there a different outcome or is it just the same pish repeated over and over. 

Levein is staying. 

Clarke isn't our manager. 

Time to do take some advice from Frozen, let it go or even go and build a snowman. Give yourself a break. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Put it this way, it’s not very original.  

051a514acb2bfe55486def76356d95086f438-retina-thumbnail-large.jpg

FACT. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Ffs, how many times have you debated this? 

To what purpose as well, is there a different outcome or is it just the same pish repeated over and over. 

Levein is staying. 

Clarke isn't our manager. 

Time to do take some advice from Frozen, let it go or even go and build a snowman. Give yourself a break. 

I was answering a question on who could hearts appoint with the ambition of challenging the old firm or even getting near them.  There are managers out there and to neglect that fact is lazy.  Clarke was one example who could have been appointed to do a better job than our last and current manager/head coach. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Let’s not rewrite history - Locke was shite and phoned in that season with about 25 games to play.

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Let’s not rewrite history - Locke was shite and phoned in that season with about 25 games to play.

At least he had the guts to fight a losing battle in a no win situation so fair play to him for that. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Inch Hearts said:

I was answering a question on who could hearts appoint with the ambition of challenging the old firm or even getting near them.  There are managers out there and to neglect that fact is lazy.  Clarke was one example who could have been appointed to do a better job than our last and current manager/head coach. 

Clarke done a better job than mcinnes, Gerrard, Lennon, Wright even Rodgers imo. 

Should all these teams sack their manager because Clarke done well? 

He was exceptional with Killie. 

However, it's a 1 in a hundred shot. If the plan is sack CL, start again hope to find a Clarke it's a bad plan. 

Also if you do get a Clarke he will go after about two seasons so your back in the shit again, so the plan has to be bigger than just sack CL and get a Clarke. 

Be better to let it go, stop fawning over Clarke and get behind the actual Hearts manager for a new season. 

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

That’s the problem, there isn’t one with connections to the club. I am not particularly happy with our style of play but people should realise there is no possibility of CL leaving soon. If we played with a more attacking flair I would be delighted but even then I wouldn’t expect to win the SPFL, maybe the odd cup. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Prof said:

That’s the problem, there isn’t one with connections to the club. I am not particularly happy with our style of play but people should realise there is no possibility of CL leaving soon. If we played with a more attacking flair I would be delighted but even then I wouldn’t expect to win the SPFL, maybe the odd cup. 

Fair enough. 

I just want us to win more games, couldn't be arsed about attacking flair. 

We got close to a cup win last season, hopefully be in about it this season as well. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Stay positive and support the club = troll.

Slag off everything possible, regurgitate the same tired mundane boring garbage = PHM.

Go figure.

Pretty much. 

Supporting Hearts seems to ba mighty chore for some. 

Why bother? 

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He helped relegate hibs that season tho. 

My worst season in memory and Hibs got relegated. 

😂😂😂😂

The derby's and the Hamilton play off was the silver lining. 

Inch Hearts
19 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Clarke done a better job than mcinnes, Gerrard, Lennon, Wright even Rodgers imo. 

Should all these teams sack their manager because Clarke done well? 

He was exceptional with Killie. 

However, it's a 1 in a hundred shot. If the plan is sack CL, start again hope to find a Clarke it's a bad plan. 

Also if you do get a Clarke he will go after about two seasons so your back in the shit again, so the plan has to be bigger than just sack CL and get a Clarke. 

Be better to let it go, stop fawning over Clarke and get behind the actual Hearts manager for a new season. 

I used Clarke as an example to there being better performing alternatives to our current manager and his two 6th place finishes on the trot. 

19 minutes ago, Prof said:

Can I ask what team in the SPFL or anywhere in Scotland for that matter that plays with this "attacking flair" that so many seem to want to aspire to?

Nookie Bear

Couple of injuries? Give Levein another season or three to get it right!

No wages, no club leadership, points deduction and turmoil? Booo hisss...should have kept us up!! 

:lol:

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Prof said:

Who has seriously challnged Celtic over the last few seasons?

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I used Clarke as an example to there being better performing alternatives to our current manager and his two 6th place finishes on the trot. 

Yes, we are all aware there are better performing alternatives, that could be said for every club in world, Litterally every club. 

I wonder if each of these fan bases harp on about constantly when they already have a manager. 

Maybe there's Barca and man City fans saying if only we'd had Steve Clarke we'd have won the Ucl. 

Who knows? 

🤔

7 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Clarke's tactic was to sit back and hit on the break.  It was effective for Kille and got got them above us two seasons on the trot.  If Levein were to adopt that approach wholesale, he'd be lambasted for it on here.

My issue with us, and it's been there since Neilson, is that we still appear to look at teams and try to nullify their strengths rather than attack their weaknesses.  Instead of thinking, 'how can we beat Hamilton?', I'd like us to have the midset of 'how many are we going to beat Hamilton by?'.

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Yes, we are all aware there are better performing alternatives, that could be said for every club in world, Litterally every club. 

I wonder if each of these fan bases harp on about constantly when they already have a manager. 

Maybe there's Barca and man City fans saying if only we'd had Steve Clarke we'd have won the Ucl. 

Who knows? 

🤔

Fanbases of clubs who are underachieving yearly probably do, yes. 

15 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Poor example then because he was never available to us. You could have used Guardiola as an example 

Edited by soonbe110

2 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Not one person has accepted the last 6 months. 

Everyone agrees it's been poor, but getting to the final was good. 

The difference of opinion is in the best way forward-

Some, like myself feel that CL made a little progress last season and feel that with his team built over two years will take us further forward. Some also understand that our injuries to many key players negatively effected our season whilst also accepting  that we did not react well enough or have enough balance to compensate and we need to do better. 

Others, like yourself feel that the best way forward is to get a new management team and start again with a new philosophy, team and players. 

That is the difference of opinion. It's also 100% welcome. 

What is frustrating for me anyway, is that now that CL is staying, some can't get over it and Continue their repetitive ramblings making jkb a chore. 

Every thread goes the same way. 

As ios says as well, some of the patter is very hibs. 

He's been in charge for 5

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, Haken said:

Clarke's tactic was to sit back and hit on the break.  It was effective for Kille and got got them above us two seasons on the trot.  If Levein were to adopt that approach wholesale, he'd be lambasted for it on here.

My issue with us, and it's been there since Neilson, is that we still appear to look at teams and try to nullify their strengths rather than attack their weaknesses.  Instead of thinking, 'how can we beat Hamilton?', I'd like us to have the midset of 'how many are we going to beat Hamilton by?'.

He wouldn’t be lambasted for it if it actually worked and the team kicked above their weight.

I agree with the rest, the mentality has seemed to be all wrong. 

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Poor example then because he was never available to us. You could have used Guardiola as an example 

He was unemployed.  How exactly would he have been unavailable? 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Haken said:

Agree 1st part. 

Second part I disagree, when we had a generally fit squad we went to win games, we just had little creativity and at certain points little options upfront. 

Even using your Hamilton example 

1st game away we beat them 4-1, months letter with a depleted, low confidence side they beat us 1-0.

I think he can overthink away games v celtic, rangers too much but v the rest we tried to win games. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, jambali said:

He's been in charge for 5

Well on that he's done great. 

Championship to a cup final and top league in 5 years, all while funds go to the stand. 

👍

He's only built his team for two years. 

Also, Ann has been charge for 5 years, not Craig. 👍

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Fanbases of clubs who are underachieving yearly probably do, yes. 

Do they, aye? 

Anyway, you seem to get joy in exploring alternatives to CL. 

Completely Pointless imo as he's staying, but crack on. 

1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

He was unemployed.  How exactly would he have been unavailable? 

He only came to Killie as a personal favour to his mate, Billy Bowie, and it was short term ie 6 months, contract. Last time I’m going to mention this because I have already done so several times over last few months. 

Im a Levein fan.  I think we should have done much better second half of last season. He shoulders much of that blame. We did have two good cup runs. He does give kids a chance. He has signed a number of good experienced players to give us a backbone. Needs a couple further signings to take us to level required. He is doing a great job with academy. We did have some extremely bad luck with injuries last season. He did have a heart attack midway through season. Playing style was questionable last season certainly not entertaining.  On balance he did enough to warrant one further year. I’d say the same regardless of whoever was manager last season, did enough for another year all things considered.  I think this will be his last season as head coach unless there are real signs of progress ie 3rd at worst in league, two cup runs. If we are not top three or four at Xmas and early exiters from league cup I’ll be wanting a replacement. 

As  for a replacement, good luck with that lottery entry. Not sure we could attract anyone guaranteed to do better given what we could pay. Can you give me any examples other than your fantasy hiring of Steve Clark? 

Inch Hearts
12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He only came to Killie as a personal favour to his mate, Billy Bowie, and it was short term ie 6 months, contract. Last time I’m going to mention this because I have already done so several times over last few months. 

Im a Levein fan.  I think we should have done much better second half of last season. He shoulders much of that blame. We did have two good cup runs. He does give kids a chance. He has signed a number of good experienced players to give us a backbone. Needs a couple further signings to take us to level required. He is doing a great job with academy. We did have some extremely bad luck with injuries last season. He did have a heart attack midway through season. Playing style was questionable last season certainly not entertaining.  On balance he did enough to warrant one further year. I’d say the same regardless of whoever was manager last season, did enough for another year all things considered.  I think this will be his last season as head coach unless there are real signs of progress ie 3rd at worst in league, two cup runs. If we are not top three or four at Xmas and early exiters from league cup I’ll be wanting a replacement. 

As  for a replacement, good luck with that lottery entry. Not sure we could attract anyone guaranteed to do better given what we could pay. Can you give me any examples other than your fantasy hiring of Steve Clark? 

So you are assuming he took the Killie job as a favour to a mate and wasn’t interested in working in football whatsoever?

Last six months?  Try 20 months out of 24 in charge.  

Theres always 100s of excuses as to why it’s not gone right.  He’s the hearts equivalent of Pat Fenlon at the moment pish poor league glossed over a wee bit by a cup run or two while ultimately achieving nothing at all.  

As for a replacement, it would depend on how it’s structured as to who the job would attract, it it’s under the strict guidance of Levein going back to Director of Football it might be a struggle, if not the third biggest club in the country wouldn’t struggle to attract a very high calibre of manager especially if you consider the position of the club off the pitch. 

Inch Hearts
22 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Do they, aye? 

Anyway, you seem to get joy in exploring alternatives to CL. 

Completely Pointless imo as he's staying, but crack on. 

I do? I like to point out there’s alternatives to your god out there.

Yes, he’s staying, let’s hope he overachieves for the first season in about ten years now. 

30 minutes ago, Haken said:

That second bit is spot on (although I don’t think we were guilty of that under Cathro. I am not defending Cathro, obviously).  It was especially bad last year.  We became so reactive and were switching formations every other week to try and negate the opposition.  

Not that he was ever an option for us, but I agree about Clarke too.  He has only ever really played that one type of football, and it’s been impressive at places like West Brom and Killie where they’re up against teams with much bigger budgets.  Killie were pretty dismal to watch for most of the last two years, but nobody focused on it because the results were so good.  Not knocking Clarke because he obviously did really well with them, but watching that style of football every week wouldn’t have been acceptable to most on here.

Stephen Muddie

This thread's latest descent into unreadable gash is precisely why I feel that Levein should've walked or been bumped after the final. Here we are already into the season, 2 wins albeit one on pens, and here we are today, Groundhog Day, arguing about a future that nobody can confidently predict and a past that we can't change.

His continuation is putting a drift into the support, so instead of all looking forwards and being "united", we are here once again going through the same tired, inconclusive Internet BS routines. I'm one who wanted him to go but accepts he didn't and he is the appendage with which we must urinate. 

Props to the debating styles employed guys (in both tribes) :bravo:

It's really, really unsettling that jkb reminds me of bbc interviewers. "So, up is up, so what you are saying is down with down?"

"No that's not what I said exactly."

"Down with down, can you confirm that's your position? "

"I said up is up."

"Down with down then?"

"No"

"ANSWER THE QUESTION. So you are admitting that down is halfway up and you plan on deporting down?"

"If you say so."

"Ah-ha! I knew it!"

*just in - X ADMITS DOWN WILL BE SENT TO CONCENTRATION CAMPS. Up claimed as up*

14 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

So you are assuming he took the Killie job as a favour to a mate and wasn’t interested in working in football whatsoever?

Last six months?  Try 20 months out of 24 in charge.  

Theres always 100s of excuses as to why it’s not gone right.  He’s the hearts equivalent of Pat Fenlon at the moment pish poor league glossed over a wee bit by a cup run or two while ultimately achieving nothing at all.  

As for a replacement, it would depend on how it’s structured as to who the job would attract, it it’s under the strict guidance of Levein going back to Director of Football it might be a struggle, if not the third biggest club in the country wouldn’t struggle to attract a very high calibre of manager especially if you consider the position of the club off the pitch. 

No, he was unemployed after losing a couple of jobs. He took the Killie job because of his personal relationship with Bowie - his words not mine. 

Re replacement, as always, just slag the current incumbent without having any alternative suggestions except whataboutery comments. Again I’ll say it, name names that you think we could attract that are guaranteed to do better. Clocks ticking. 

Ill give you a head start, other than Levein, Gerard and McInnes no one currently in Scottish football. Let’s hear some names. 

Edited by soonbe110

Inch Hearts
Just now, soonbe110 said:

No, he was unemployed after losing a coiled of jobs. He took the Killie job because of his personal relationship with Bowie - his words not mine. 

Re replacement, as always, just slag the current incumbent without having any alternative suggestions except whataboutery comments. Again I’ll say it, name names that you think we could attract that are guaranteed to do better. Clocks ticking. 

Ill give you a head start, other than Levein, Gerard and McInnes no one currently in Scottish football. Let’s hear some names. 

Yes, Kilmarnock are small fry compared to hearts though, if hearts asked him the question before he went to Killie I have no reason to think he would turn the job down as he was out of work. 

There’s no guarantees in football.  If it’s under Craig Levein as director of football I would try and get Tony Docherty to come in, yes he’s an assistant but a very good one and many see him as the brains behind the operation at Aberdeen.  Outside of Scotland and if given a free reign as manager with Levein concentrating on other areas of the footballing side I would suggest Gary Rowett, Chris Coleman, Gus Poyet, Paul Clement or Danny Cowley. 

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic