Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Hercules said:

That’s really not the whole story though is it ? 

Who said it was? It's not a stretch to think we lost 10-12 points minimum through having so many of our best players out.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

rick witter
13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Who said it was? It's not a stretch to think we lost 10-12 points minimum through having so many of our best players out.

We hardly won  a match for the best part of 5 months!!!! 

Were  you one of the ones that said it would get better when we got our players back last season because it never. 

Edited by rick witter

Win = Levein is great 

Draw = Levein is great 

Lose = Levein is great 

Finish bottom six = Levein is great 

Involved in a relegation battle  = Levein is great 

................. Close thread

Guest ToqueJambo
19 minutes ago, rick witter said:

We hardly won  a match for the best part of 5 months!!!! 

Were  you one of the ones that said it would get better when we got our players back last season because it never. 

Christ stop raging on about last season. It's a new season FFS! We had injuries to our main attackers and defenders. That obviously cost us points and momentum. Levein then failed to pull us together when players started returning, often not fully match fit.

The Comedian
1 hour ago, Artful Dodger said:

190202-phil-shadow-groundhog.jpg.13177555722a412eea30ced35bc317eb.jpg

Punxutawney Phil saw his own shadow. Another dull season of Levein ball awaits.

:sob:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Win = Levein is great 

Draw = Levein is great 

Lose = Levein is great 

Finish bottom six = Levein is great 

Involved in a relegation battle  = Levein is great 

................. Close thread

Correct

The reality is he was a good player for us but is a crap manager worse than Poodle by a long shot.

35 minutes ago, tntjambo said:

who he ?

He’s that guy that Aberdeen were considering parting ways with in the summer and who was linked to us during the same period by a few interesting people. Safe to say that now hes re-signed for another 3years and a few million over that time to stay and piss the Aberdeen fans off instead of (lets be kind to him) a different challenge.

Bazzas right boot
On 14/07/2019 at 21:40, ToqueJambo said:

The best unbeaten run outwith the OF,  leading the league for 13 weeks or so, a cup semi final and a cup final again? Sounds good to me! And as we're unlikely have so many injuries we could even do better!

In all seriousness I find myself posting in defence of Levein all the time, even though I'd have preferred Neilson to stay over him and appoint Freedman over him, plus he's not even in my top 5 favourite Hearts managers ever.

However, when the managers put forward by the Levein outers are of the level of Tommy Wright, Paul Heckingbottom, Alan Archibald, the new Killie guy, etc, I'm happy to stick with Levein and take this year to conduct a throrough search for the next manager (and/or assess the readiness of McPhee, Daly, Kirk and co) rather than ripping everything up after a draw with D Utd in July.

Also think Levein did enough with the team at the start of last season and in reaching cup final, and performing well in it, to deserve another crack this season - likely to be his last ever as a football manager.

Quite. 

The thought of replacing CL with the likes of Davies, Wright, McCann, Johnstone, Hartley, Elvis even wee Robbo and starting from scratch is not the way forward. 

After the Robbie to Cathro debacle I'm Suprised so many are not only ready, but eager to make the same mistake. 

Some of these guys were championed on here and most have been sacked and none have impressed. 

I'd always be for a Freedom type manager or a huge coup like Moyes, but it's not happening. 

The positives as you say we're clear, the big negatives were not having the players or ability to adapt after injuries hit. 

If we can avoid as many injuries (add at least 1 good midfielder) , we'll have a better season, the 5 wins extra  needed for 3rd are imo Likley and imo we would have got last season had injuries not derailed us. A bigger "if" is if the young lads can make an impact and guys like walker and Washington have an immediate impact it could be even more exciting. 

The CL out drum after every goal we concede is embarrassing. 

This thread being bumped before the league season starts sums up how personal some have got with CL. 

It's making jkb a chore as every thread goes the same way atm, mods, imo should put all the rage, tears, snotters and bitterness into this thread, at least you expect it on here and can avoid it. 

18 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Quite. 

The thought of replacing CL with the likes of Davies, Wright, McCann, Johnstone, Hartley, Elvis even wee Robbo and starting from scratch is not the way forward. 

After the Robbie to Cathro debacle I'm Suprised so many are not only ready, but eager to make the same mistake. 

Some of these guys were championed on here and most have been sacked and none have impressed. 

I'd always be for a Freedom type manager or a huge coup like Moyes, but it's not happening. 

The positives as you say we're clear, the big negatives were not having the players or ability to adapt after injuries hit. 

If we can avoid as many injuries (add at least 1 good midfielder) , we'll have a better season, the 5 wins extra  needed for 3rd are imo Likley and imo we would have got last season had injuries not derailed us. A bigger "if" is if the young lads can make an impact and guys like walker and Washington have an immediate impact it could be even more exciting. 

The CL out drum after every goal we concede is embarrassing. 

This thread being bumped before the league season starts sums up how personal some have got with CL. 

It's making jkb a chore as every thread goes the same way atm, mods, imo should put all the rage, tears, snotters and bitterness into this thread, at least you expect it on here and can avoid it. 

This..

I couldn't agree more. 

I'm a Levein supporter. I will admit he is cleaning up his own mess, however had we not had a massacre of injuries I can see last season would have been different.

I'm nervous for him but I'm not a warmonger like some on here. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, Blacky87 said:

This..

I couldn't agree more. 

I'm a Levein supporter. I will admit he is cleaning up his own mess, however had we not had a massacre of injuries I can see last season would have been different.

I think the issue is this - people like me think Levein is taking us nowhere in particular. We might be proven wrong but if we’re proven right, we’ll have lost a number of seasons to a set up which simply hasn’t worked and questions would have to be asked about why it took the club so long to reach that conclusion. There’s a hell of a lot of ‘jam tomorrow’ with Levein. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, Blacky87 said:

This..

I couldn't agree more. 

I think the issue is this - people like me think Levein is taking us nowhere in particular. We might be proven wrong but if we’re proven right, we’ll have lost a number of seasons to a set up which simply hasn’t worked and questions would have to be asked about why it took the club so long to reach that conclusion. There’s a hell of a lot of ‘jam tomorrow’ with Levein. 

28 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

So what damage do you think he is doing, that would take a long time to fix for a new manager or head coach? 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
14 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

So what damage do you think he is doing, that would take a long time to fix for a new manager or head coach? 

My main complaints in that respect would be the way recruitment has been managed. There’s no consistent backbone in our team and very little continuity. Players come and go so quickly and the number of transfers which don’t work out at Hearts is frankly unacceptable. 

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

My main complaints in that respect would be the way recruitment has been managed. There’s no consistent backbone in our team and very little continuity. Players come and go so quickly and the number of transfers which don’t work out at Hearts is frankly unacceptable. 

I'd say the spine was:

Zlamal

Berra

Souttar

Smith

Haring

Djoum

Naismith

Uche

The rest coming in and out depending on the game and set up. Now that Djoum has gone, we need to replace him, but the rest of that spine is still there. You'd also have to say that Mulraney looks as though he is amongst the first names on the team sheet now as well. We also have Walker and Halkett who would be considered amongst the potential first picks. Even if Levein did go, he leaves behind a strong pool of players and a good spine for a new man to work with. He's not doing any long term damage as you intimate, and is in fact blooding a lot of youngsters, who will be in the team after he is no longer the manager.

He's fixed that this season. So this is the season he should be judged on. 

I think if we're looking at the whole Levein thing in a sensible manner, surely we have to draw the conclusion that;

1: he's the brains behind the academy that is providing us with some pretty decent talent, he'll be fully aware he won't see the rewards of his work in full, but he'll still want to blood them. 

2: he's cleaning up his mistake with Cathro in which a whole decent performing team was destroyed in a season. Neilson out campaign to thank for that, IE us the fans.

3: with the focus on the new stand and refusing to over spend on wages, could anyone do a better job? 

He may not be exciting. He may not have all the answers. But until we sort out our scouting department, I doubt anything will change regardless of who's in charge. 

Not interested, in a slander match but I'd like to think everything is fairly reasonable in what I've said

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I'd say the spine was:

Zlamal

Berra

Souttar

Smith

Haring

Djoum

Naismith

Uche

The rest coming in and out depending on the game and set up. Now that Djoum has gone, we need to replace him, but the rest of that spine is still there. You'd also have to say that Mulraney looks as though he is amongst the first names on the team sheet now as well. We also have Walker and Halkett who would be considered amongst the potential first picks. Even if Levein did go, he leaves behind a strong pool of players and a good spine for a new man to work with. He's not doing any long term damage as you intimate, and is in fact blooding a lot of youngsters, who will be in the team after he is no longer the manager.

Berra is past it (sadly), uche’s confidence has gone, question marks over Naismith’s fitness and the keeper has never convinced me. I very much doubt that when Levein goes he’ll leave behind a particularly special team.

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Berra is past it (sadly), uche’s confidence has gone, question marks over Naismith’s fitness and the keeper has never convinced me. I very much doubt that when Levein goes he’ll leave behind a particularly special team.

Berra - obviously not the player he was five years ago, but not past it just yet imo.

Uche - carrying an injury, but still effective.

Naismith - has had a few injuries, but when available is always domestically amongst the best five players from 22 when on the park, regardless of the opposition.

When Levein goes, we will benefit from the young players he brought to the club as school kids, and nurtured through to the first team. He will also leave behind a core of strong players for the new man to build upon.

11 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Berra - obviously not the player he was five years ago, but not past it just yet imo.

Uche - carrying an injury, but still effective.

Naismith - has had a few injuries, but when available is always domestically amongst the best five players from 22 when on the park, regardless of the opposition.

When Levein goes, we will benefit from the young players he brought to the club as school kids, and nurtured through to the first team. He will also leave behind a core of strong players for the new man to build upon.

Wasting your time with that sort of logic on here. That's forward thinking and doesn't include Crayons.

1 minute ago, Artful Dodger said:

Wasting your time with that sort of logic on here. That's forward thinking and doesn't include Crayons.

Probably. You just feel as though you have to try sometimes, otherwise the myths start to become 'accepted facts'.

17 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Really insightful post from you as usual. Think you must munch crayons yourself in between trolling

Dusk_Till_Dawn
23 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Logic is fine. We’ll see what comes to pass though 

12 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Really insightful post from you as usual. Think you must munch crayons yourself in between trolling

Creepy lurker. 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I see the old line been trotted out by Levein supporters, well who would we replace him with?? And then trying to support their argument with using names such as, Elvis, McCann, Hartley and Robbo etc. As if they were our only choices in the whole world of football management that a club like ours could attract. 

The thing that really pisses me off about this thread is both sides using extreme sides of their argument to get their point across, when the bottom line is probably somewhere in the middle. 

I can tell you one thing that is in no doubt though,  and that is for a club of our size to be finishing 5th, 6th and 6th again, in a piss poor league,  is nothing short of embarrassing. 

Edited by innerjambo

Leveins Battalion
1 hour ago, Blacky87 said:

I think if we're looking at the whole Levein thing in a sensible manner, surely we have to draw the conclusion that;

1: he's the brains behind the academy that is providing us with some pretty decent talent, he'll be fully aware he won't see the rewards of his work in full, but he'll still want to blood them. 

2: he's cleaning up his mistake with Cathro in which a whole decent performing team was destroyed in a season. Neilson out campaign to thank for that, IE us the fans.

3: with the focus on the new stand and refusing to over spend on wages, could anyone do a better job? 

He may not be exciting. He may not have all the answers. But until we sort out our scouting department, I doubt anything will change regardless of who's in charge. 

Not interested, in a slander match but I'd like to think everything is fairly reasonable in what I've said

You only have to look over the road who by all accounts have gave the new manager free reign on scouting and after 1 game the fans want him out for 'poor signings'

4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

You only have to look over the road who by all accounts have gave the new manager free reign on scouting and after 1 game the fans want him out for 'poor signings'

This is true. 

Fortunately now that Romanov has gone those  I'm charge of our club seems to give people that chance for it go wrong before they're lynched.

Admittedly running to failure may not be the best policy but if Man utd can go six seasons of mediocrity before fixing it then I'm quite content for our club to find it's footing. 😂 

Edited by Blacky87

On the evidence so far he’s fixed nothing of last season. We have no width and no one that can stick the ball in the back of the net. We failed to beat a championship side, at home on Friday, extending our without a win run to 9. 

Levein should be the DoF, that’s the only role he’s had so far that’s saw anything remotely like success. His development of the football club away from the first team is amazing. Budge should’ve replaced him in the summer and allowed him back up stairs as anything like last season and he’ll be chased from the club completely and that’ll be a massive shame. 

Just now, busby1985 said:

On the evidence so far he’s fixed nothing of last season. We have no width and no one that can stick the ball in the back of the net. We failed to beat a championship side, at home on Friday, extending our without a win run to 9. 

Levein should be the DoF, that’s the only role he’s had so far that’s saw anything remotely like success. His development of the football club away from the first team is amazing. Budge should’ve replaced him in the summer and allowed him back up stairs as anything like last season and he’ll be chased from the club completely and that’ll be a massive shame. 

Well I'm glad I'm not judging this season on one game. I usually wait til five six games in to actual league fixtures and an old firm match to see where we are at. 

One match against a pumped up Dundee United with a team that even over three preseason friendly a hadn't actually all played together yet. 

Also, there's just a wee part of me that thinks as well, with our budget. Maybe this is just the best we will be. 

1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

I see the old line been trotted out by Levein supporters, well who would we replace him with?? And then trying to support their argument with using names such as, Elvis, McCann, Hartley and Robbo etc. As if they were our only choices in the whole world of football management that a club like ours could attract. 

The thing that really pisses me off about this thread is both sides using extreme sides of their argument to get their point across, when the bottom line is probably somewhere in the middle. 

I can tell you one thing that is in no doubt though,  and that is for a club of our size to be finishing 5th, 6th and 6th again, in a piss poor league,  is nothing short of embarrassing. 

Do you mean me? I don't remember trotting that line out. Take you must be referring to someone else.

Whether people like it or not this thread will be a constant throughout the season. One side raising concerns over poor performances, the other replying to critical posts after victories. It's school playground but that's the nature of message boards. 

Overall the club is moving in the right direction, of this I am certain. Bottom line is the manager has one season now to show significant improvement, if not then the whole first team management team should be replaced at the end of it. To that end I am a bit surprised Levein has not brought in a new face or faces to the coaching team, they comprehensively failed when Naismith didn't play last season and I thought action might have been taken to help address this. 

Edited by Jodami

9 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Whether people like it or not this thread will be a constant throughout the season. One side raising concerns over poor performances, the other replying to critical posts after victories. It's school playground but that's the nature of message boards. 

Overall the club is moving in the right direction, of this I am certain. Bottom line is the manager has one season now to show significant improvement, if not then the whole first team management team should be replaced at the end of it. To that end I am a bit surprised Levein has not brought in a new face or faces to the coaching team, they comprehensively failed when Naismith didn't play last season and I thought action might have been taken to help address this. 

Yip. The proverbial yo-yo !

A win will see it move down the threads, a loss and it will be at the top.

The same people saying the same stuff.

merseyjambo

Well I'm glad I'm not judging this season on one game. I usually wait til five six games in to actual league fixtures and an old firm match to see where we are at. 

One match against a pumped up Dundee United with a team that even over three preseason friendly a hadn't actually all played together yet. 

Also, there's just a wee part of me that thinks as well, with our budget. Maybe this is just the best we will be. 

Pumped up Dundee United, utter garbage. The only thing they were aggressive in was the tackle. They created 2 chances and 2 half chances in the whole game.

Truth is despite Craig’s speeches during the summer, we have done very little to fix a poor creative and striking unit. It still looks like we are going to rely on Naismith to create and score. With his injury track record, we’ll probably get 20-25 games in season from him.

1 minute ago, merseyjambo said:

Pumped up Dundee United, utter garbage. The only thing they were aggressive in was the tackle. They created 2 chances and 2 half chances in the whole game.

Truth is despite Craig’s speeches during the summer, we have done very little to fix a poor creative and striking unit. It still looks like we are going to rely on Naismith to create and score. With his injury track record, we’ll probably get 20-25 games in season from him.

Sound mate. Pleasure doing business

So I can’t judge us on one competitive match but you can say we’ve fixed the problems? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? 

Our budget is the 4th highest in Scotland. We haven’t finished 4th in the past 3 seasons. So even by that logic we have under performed. A run of results and performances no other manager would survive. Not a single other manager on planet Hearts would have survived some of the results Levein has. 

Like I said, DoF has been his best role and if he’d left in the summer citing personal health issues and wanting someone new in, he would’ve went back up stairs with everyone’s blessing and well wishes. If we start bad, continue the run of results we are currently on, he will be chased completely from the club. In my opinion of course. 

If we have a bad start to the season then I'm all for him being removed as manager. 

Perhaps I worded it wrong, lack of creativity was addressed. The squad does look more balanced. 

Was the United game outstanding, no it was dire.

Am I losing my mind over it no. 

When we're five six games into a season and no points, then I'll panic. 

We dominated the United game, few squeaky bum moments however. Once the strikers find their feet and everyone settles in I'm sure we will be fine. United game, I'm sure, was the first time Walker & Washington had played together and, what looked like a proper first team was selected. 

That being said, if we don't come good, I'll more than gladly admit I was wrong. I just don't believe that last season, based on the starting run; that had it not been for the squad being decimated time and time again, would have been as bad as it ended up being. Or so I'd like to believe. 

Edited by Blacky87

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think, like a game of guess how much sweeties in the jar, we should put a £1 in each, the winner guesses how many pages this gets to and the actual date his time is up

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, Blacky87 said:

If we have a bad start to the season then I'm all for him being removed as manager. 

Perhaps I worded it wrong, lack of creativity was addressed. The squad does look more balanced. 

Was the United game outstanding, no it was dire.

Am I losing my mind over it no. 

When we're five six games into a season and no points, then I'll panic. 

We dominated the United game, few squeaky bum moments however. Once the strikers find their feet and everyone settles in I'm sure we will be fine. United game, I'm sure, was the first time Walker & Washington had played together and, what looked like a proper first team was selected. 

That being said, if we don't come good, I'll more than gladly admit I was wrong. I just don't believe that last season, based on the starting run; that had it not been for the squad being decimated time and time again, would have been as bad as it ended up being. Or so I'd like to believe. 

:cornette:

5 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Do you mean me? I don't remember trotting that line out. Take you must be referring to someone else.

I was referring to someone else Mothy, not you. Cheers, onwards and upwards HHGH

22 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

I was referring to someone else Mothy, not you. Cheers, onwards and upwards HHGH

👍

Finlay James
4 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

They are taking bets on .net as to how long they can keep this thread going.

Distracts them from the shite show they're watching this season mate, Hibs are relegation material with the signings they're making and the head coach they currently have.

It should have been ten
33 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Distracts them from the shite show they're watching this season mate, Hibs are relegation material with the signings they're making and the head coach they currently have.

Spot on, absolute saddo’s.

14 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

They are taking bets on .net as to how long they can keep this thread going.

Hearts supporters becoming indistinguishable from vermin shite-hawks and sharing their patter. We live in sad times.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
45 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Hearts supporters becoming indistinguishable from vermin shite-hawks and sharing their patter. We live in sad times.

There’s a definite Hobo mindset amongst Hearts fans who are content with finishing sixth.

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There’s a definite Hobo mindset amongst Hearts fans who are content with finishing sixth.

Bullshit. You might not like it mate, but the Levein out crowd’s patter is totally indistinguishable from the shit Hibs fans come out with. Pretty much identical. Are you going to ask to see “his medals” next? 

Harry Potter
11 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Bullshit. You might not like it mate, but the Levein out crowd’s patter is totally indistinguishable from the shit Hibs fans come out with. Pretty much identical. Are you going to ask to see “his medals” next? 

Hearts fans never used to be split as we are now, we need to make an effort to be a single unit.

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Hearts fans never used to be split as we are now, we need to make an effort to be a single unit.

Unfortunately I don’t see that happening mate. It would be nice, but can you see it yourself? Until the support concentrate on Hearts and football only, and leave the political, racial and religious stuff at the turnstiles, then you will never get consensus. 

We_are_the_Hearts
8 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

It's the Internet age thing. Everyone has a platform and people are less tolerant with those they disagree with.
Before it was discussed in the pub after the game then that was it until the following weekends game. Now everything is done to death 24/7

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic