Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

I would agree with the last part and the first part.  The rest is irrelevant because he’s finished 6th twice and won nothing.  No Europe like last time, no massive derby wins like last time and nowhere near third like last time.  There’s no indications that it is coming anytime soon either. I genuinely believe we could get a better head coach with Craig Levein being an amazing academy director as I feel he has the passion for that these days like he did as a manager before.  A little like how Strachan has went also.  

Not yet. 

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

1 hour ago, HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie said:

Some positives to be taken from tonight... Walker, Hickey, Irving and the penalties but embarrssing we even had to rely on penalties. 

Last season we needed pens to beat Raith. It’s what happens in the early rounds of the Betfred 

1 hour ago, bighalders said:

6th last season 6th the season before so any Hearts manager with that record should have been emptied 

Keep living in the past caveman 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Last season we needed pens to beat Raith. It’s what happens in the early rounds of the Betfred 

Christ we even needed pens in a cup final not that long ago! I know I wasn't embarrassed.

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

See when you see the likes of Irving and hickey coming through to add to the likes of Cochrane, Smith, McDonald etc you can see that long term we doing right thing 

Some of us can certainly 

51 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I already agreed with the supporting the team and enjoying the youngsters mate.  A better head coach could get better from the team though.  It’s allowed to want more in the team. 

Who would that coach be? Only  financially realistic suggestions allowed. 

49 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Here’s a fact: had we brought in a new manager during the summer then everyone would have been raving about that performance tonight and the contrast with Levein’s boring tactics. :whistling:

100% accurate post. 

8 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We play in three competitions. Think about it. 

Ok. I've thought about it. Weve played dull football for 2 seasons, bored the fans regularly at tynecastle.  We haven't beaten a premier league team since March and Killie & Hibs have finished above us in both of the last 2 seasons and a team with the resources of hearts shouldn't be finishing 6th and hearts fans should never accept finishing 6th twice in a row. 

7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Keep living in the past caveman 

Ok I will try and live in the future just for you. If levein stays we will finish around 5th - 7th this season which again isn't acceptable. 

8 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

See when you see the likes of Irving and hickey coming through to add to the likes of Cochrane, Smith, McDonald etc you can see that long term we doing right thing 

Agreed. Which makes it all the more frustrating if only Hearts had a decent manager as well.

Dallas Green
8 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Here’s a fact: had we brought in a new manager during the summer then everyone would have been raving about that performance tonight and the contrast with Levein’s boring tactics. :whistling:

:spoton:

8 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Correct. We’d all be cumming in our pants at drawing 1-1 at home to a Championship team.  Absolute fact.

He said performance, not result. 

Our performance was night and day from the end of last season.

JamboAl1965

Huge improvement last night. 2 impressive graduates, 2 big players to come back, movement night and day, walkers directness a joy.

The biggest risk to our season is the negativity noises from the anti Levein brigade that are so desperate for him to fail that it impacts players confidence. In Z last night I heard. 

why's walker going off? - ignoring his fitness

Washington’ shite! Ignoring he hardly played and finding fitness.

god knows what it will do to Uche who is clearly a confidence player.

Clare after 5 minutes, your f******* shite Clare!, Way to go with he encouragement 

my favourite-, f****** Bobby never saves penalties🤦‍♂️ 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, bighalders said:

Ok. I've thought about it. Weve played dull football for 2 seasons, bored the fans regularly at tynecastle.  We haven't beaten a premier league team since March and Killie & Hibs have finished above us in both of the last 2 seasons and a team with the resources of hearts shouldn't be finishing 6th and hearts fans should never accept finishing 6th twice in a row. 

Finishing bottom 6 and having no cup runs is sackable form. Top 6, a League Cup semi final and a Scottish Cup final is not. The cup games were on the whole very exciting and we scored a lot of goals in both cup competitions. The league form after October was very disappointing but the signings of Walker and Washington look to have addressed a lot of the issues regarding creativity and movement. Add in Naismith and further develop the likes of Clare and Mulraney and we could have something at Tynecastle. That’s not even mentioning the emergence of Hickey, Morrison, Cochrane, Irving, Zanatta & McDonald. The next three League  Cup games are a perfect opportunity to give them some time on the park!

20 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Finishing bottom 6 and having no cup runs is sackable form. Top 6, a League Cup semi final and a Scottish Cup final is not. The cup games were on the whole very exciting and we scored a lot of goals in both cup competitions. The league form after October was very disappointing but the signings of Walker and Washington look to have addressed a lot of the issues regarding creativity and movement. Add in Naismith and further develop the likes of Clare and Mulraney and we could have something at Tynecastle. That’s not even mentioning the emergence of Hickey, Morrison, Cochrane, Irving, Zanatta & McDonald. The next three League  Cup games are a perfect opportunity to give them some time on the park!

I hope you are right and adding the players you mention results in a fantastic season for Hearts.  I stand by my comment of finishing 6th twice is unacceptable and levein should have gone though.

2 hours ago, JamboAl1965 said:

Huge improvement last night. 2 impressive graduates, 2 big players to come back, movement night and day, walkers directness a joy.

The biggest risk to our season is the negativity noises from the anti Levein brigade that are so desperate for him to fail that it impacts players confidence. In Z last night I heard. 

why's walker going off? - ignoring his fitness

Washington’ shite! Ignoring he hardly played and finding fitness.

god knows what it will do to Uche who is clearly a confidence player.

Clare after 5 minutes, your f******* shite Clare!, Way to go with he encouragement 

my favourite-, f****** Bobby never saves penalties🤦‍♂️ 

You weren't in upper N too...

Pretty much the same shite chat.

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 hours ago, bighalders said:

Agreed. Which makes it all the more frustrating if only Hearts had a decent manager as well.

It's the manager who put this long term planning into place and he deserves credit for this 

Fozzyonthefence
12 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What did anyone else win? Celtic have won everything for years now! We did very well in the League Cup and excellently in the Scottish Cup. We didn’t manage the exceptional but we performed better than a much better financed Rangers squad in both competitions. Hearts managers don’t get sacked for finishing 6th!

We did as expected in the two cups, given the favourable draws we received.  Our league target was top 4 and we failed dismally.  

Back to back 6th finishes for the 3rd biggest club in Scotland is a failure, 28 points from 24 games , injuries or no injuries is ****ing embarrassing.  CL is not delivering on his objectives set by Budge so he should be gone.  I honestly don’t see how anyone can defend his position.

Hearts managers should get sacked for finishing 6th and have done in the past for finishing better than 6th (off the top of my head - Cathro, Jordan, Jefferies, Macdonald, not to mention Burley being sacked while top of the league).

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence
5 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

:spoton:

He said performance, not result. 

Our performance was night and day from the end of last season.

I thought we were good first half, poor second half and created very little after the break.  But let’s put it in perspective  - we were playing a Championship side and even last season I would have expected to beat them at home, although admittedly we nearly made a Jeremy Hunt of beating Patrick in the cup replay at home so no guarantees there.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We did as expected in the two cups, given the favourable draws we received.  Our league target was top 4 and we failed dismally.  

Back to back 6th finishes for the 3rd biggest club in Scotland is a failure, 28 points from 24 games , injuries or no injuries is ****ing embarrassing.  CL is not delivering on his objectives set by Budge so he should be gone.  I honestly don’t see how anyone can defend his position.

Hearts managers should get sacked for finishing 6th and have done in the past for finishing better than 6th (off the top of my head - Jordan, Jefferies, Macdonald, not to mention Burley being sacked while top of the league).

Your expectations and the history of HMFC seem to be dislocated from one another. Much better Hearts teams would have conspired to get knocked out of cup competitions by teams such as Livingston, Motherwell and Patrick Thistle. Levein met a number of targets set by Ann Budge. Top six, two cup semi finals and one cup final. The league form was very poor, after initially going on an incredible run. To bring up managers sacked under Romanov is just bizarre and doesn’t add any weight to your argument at all. We have a very strong squad now and with the exception of centre mid we have addressed most of the issue from last term. We won’t be ripping the whole project up to start again so you would be as well getting behind Levein and the team. I am confident that this season we can have a strong season in both cups and the league and will get into the Europa League qualifiers one way or another.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Your expectations and the history of HMFC seem to be dislocated from one another. Much better Hearts teams would have conspired to get knocked out of cup competitions by teams such as Livingston, Motherwell and Patrick Thistle. Levein met a number of targets set by Ann Budge. Top six, two cup semi finals and one cup final. The league form was very poor, after initially going on an incredible run. To bring up managers sacked under Romanov is just bizarre and doesn’t add any weight to your argument at all. We have a very strong squad now and with the exception of centre mid we have addressed most of the issue from last term. We won’t be ripping the whole project up to start again so you would be as well getting behind Levein and the team. I am confident that this season we can have a strong season in both cups and the league and will get into the Europa League qualifiers one way or another.

You’re making stuff up now - top 6 was not the target.  And only one of the 5 managers I mentioned served under Romanov.  The point being, Hearts managers have been sacked in the past for doing better than CL has.

I’ve no idea what “the project” is -maybe you could enlighten me?  Is it just some buzzword / comfort blanket the happy clappers hang on to in an attempt to justify the piss poor results we’ve had for the last two and half years?

And a “very strong squad”?!  Do people really believe this?  

Whatever happen in the past 2 season under Levein’s management we have to judge this team as being 100% his. Now during last nights game there wasn’t much to like sure there was a few excellent individual performances from Smith, Hickey, Irvine, Walker & Mulraney but in truth Hearts were very predictable, slow in movement off the ball and lacklustre with their passing.

Now if we can’t play well in our next 3 League Cup games our fans will be wondering what is going on with this team.

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Whatever happen in the past 2 season under Levein’s management we have to judge this team as being 100% his. Now during last nights game there wasn’t much to like sure there was a few excellent individual performances from Smith, Hickey, Irvine, Walker & Mulraney but in truth Hearts were very predictable, slow in movement off the ball and lacklustre with their passing.

Now if we can’t play well in our next 3 League Cup games our fans will be wondering what is going on with this team.

We played well but couldn't put the ball away. It was far from predictable and the movement was good. Still got our best player to come in and we will more than likely bring in a decent replacement for Djoum but apart from all that you are correct to be negative.

Last night raised more questions about the team rather than answered.

I can’t see many fans rushing to buy a ST on that performance as there wasn’t many happy faces after watching that.

3 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Last night raised more questions about the team rather than answered.

I can’t see many fans rushing to buy a ST on that performance as there wasn’t many happy faces after watching that.

You are a perennial curmudgeon.

Mr Elwood P
13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You’re making stuff up now - top 6 was not the target.  And only one of the 5 managers I mentioned served under Romanov.  The point being, Hearts managers have been sacked in the past for doing better than CL has.

I’ve no idea what “the project” is -maybe you could enlighten me?  Is it just some buzzword / comfort blanket the happy clappers hang on to in an attempt to justify the piss poor results we’ve had for the last two and half years?

Top 6 is the initial target. You need to be in the top 6 to then achieve a 3rd or 4th place finish. JJ was sacked under Romanov as was Burley, that’s two. The project is the squad that is being assembled plus the progression of academy players into first team players. Yes we clearly have a very good squad. A centre mid and a top keeper and we’d have an excellent squad, considering our budget.

5 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

We played well but couldn't put the ball away. It was far from predictable and the movement was good. Still got our best player to come in and we will more than likely bring in a decent replacement for Djoum but apart from all that you are correct to be negative.

It’s always the same old excuse about players to come it. If players can’t perform in the 1st team squad they shouldn’t be at Hearts. That team was not organised to beat a Dundee United team that was only average at best. I don’t know what is going on at Riccarton during the week but last night was too much like last season for my liking.

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

It’s always the same old excuse about players to come it. If players can’t perform in the 1st team squad they shouldn’t be at Hearts. That team was not organised to beat a Dundee United team that was only average at best. I don’t know what is going on at Riccarton during the week but last night was too much like last season for my liking.

It was perfectly well set up. The only letdown was the finishing. Not Levein’s fault!

4 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

You are a perennial curmudgeon.

Bad tempered me I don’t think so. I’m a connoisseur of the game and have a Doctorate in Tiddlywinks i’ll have you know my wee pal.

rick witter
13 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

But most people on here seemed to think we would stroll to 4 wins though!!! 

rick witter
12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

It was perfectly well set up. The only letdown was the finishing. Not Levein’s fault!

So are we going to have another year where we hammer everyone 1-1 or 1-2 because we can’t score enough?? 

Get players in who can would be the answer. That’s Leveins fault. 

Edited by rick witter

9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I never said it was perhaps you maybe think it is his fault that’s why you mention the fact. Your defence of Levein is admirable even though my posts do not blame him personally.

9 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

You want glory and you want it NOW.

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I never said it was perhaps you maybe think it is his fault that’s why you mention the fact. Your defence of Levein is admirable even though my posts do not blame him personally.

Who were you blaming for not correctly setting the team up?

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, rick witter said:

So are we going to have another year where we hammer everyone 1-1 or 1-2 because we can’t score enough?? 

Get players in who can would be the answer. That’s Leveins fault. 

The players are in. Mulraney, Uche, Naismith, Walker, Washington and Clare will get us a lot of goals when everyone is up to speed. 

rick witter
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The players are in. Mulraney, Uche, Naismith, Walker, Washington and Clare will get us a lot of goals when everyone is up to speed. 

I hope your right. 

I thought Walker and Mulraney played very well last night but both strikers were poor. 

Maybe they just need games like you say. 

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, rick witter said:

I hope your right. 

I thought Walker and Mulraney played very well last night but both strikers were poor. 

Maybe they just need games like you say. 

Wouldn’t say Washington was poor at all. Had a few good chances which he would have taken if match fit. Very promising performance. Uche didn’t have his best game but just being on the pitch he creates loads space for other players. 

Washington had a good game. Found good positions and would have had a goal or 2 if team mates had picked a pass.

I can’t criticise Levein for the setup which I thought was good. Bit of ring rust which is completely understandable. Lots of positive performances especially the young guys. Weather wouldn’t have helped.

The time for moaning is not now. 

siegementality
28 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Wouldn’t say Washington was poor at all. Had a few good chances which he would have taken if match fit. Very promising performance. Uche didn’t have his best game but just being on the pitch he creates loads space for other players. 

How exactly do you work that out?

43 minutes ago, rick witter said:

But most people on here seemed to think we would stroll to 4 wins though!!! 

Not me, not sure I read many such comments. These games are so early that anything could happen. Just watch out for surprise results this afternoon.  We certainly played much better last night than in any of our three opening Betfred games last season. Had they been a bit sharper Walker/Washington would have had two or three between them. 

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

:pleasingao:

13 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not me, not sure I read many such comments. These games are so early that anything could happen. Just watch out for surprise results this afternoon.  We certainly played much better last night than in any of our three opening Betfred games last season. Had they been a bit sharper Walker/Washington would have had two or three between them. 

This in spades , Cove gave me hope last year as you could see there was players there but last night was far far better. The movement last night was better than anything since October. Possibly even before that

Mr Elwood P
19 minutes ago, siegementality said:

With my eyes.

32 minutes ago, siegementality said:

12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

With my eyes.

Anyone not obsessed with every possible thing to batter the team could see last night that Washington had a lot of movement , good touches and was getting in good positions. Mulraney was good looked to drive with the ball as did Walker and Clare. Irving was playing ok after he settled aswell. Souttar’s distribution was poor and the only thing you can knock the team for last night was not taking chances as we created a lot of them , Uche looked unfit which we knew and after Irving was sent off the composure went and we just lumped it forward.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Top 6 is the initial target. You need to be in the top 6 to then achieve a 3rd or 4th place finish. JJ was sacked under Romanov as was Burley, that’s two. The project is the squad that is being assembled plus the progression of academy players into first team players. Yes we clearly have a very good squad. A centre mid and a top keeper and we’d have an excellent squad, considering our budget.

You think AB gave Levein a target of top 6?? She's certainly lowered her expectations.  The target used to be 4th but now she just seems to ditch the targets and has even given up on imparting end of season addresses. 

Levein has proved quite consistent in beating or matching Championship teams, which is why we did well in the Cups, with a dream draw, but is out of his depth at Premiership level, which is why we have finished 6th and 15 points behind Killie in 2 consecutive seasons. Any other Hearts manager would and should have been moved on. 

There are certainly a few good prospects coming through the Academy, in common with most other teams , but that is not a reason to hold on to a first team manager. The Academy, although underfunded under Romanov, has been established for years and, ironically, we have just turned to one of it's Class of Vlad graduates to try to solve the lack of creativity in the team. 

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You think AB gave Levein a target of top 6?? She's certainly lowered her expectations.  The target used to be 4th but now she just seems to ditch the targets and has even given up on imparting end of season addresses. 

Levein has proved quite consistent in beating or matching Championship teams, which is why we did well in the Cups, with a dream draw, but is out of his depth at Premiership level, which is why we have finished 6th and 15 points behind Killie in 2 consecutive seasons. Any other Hearts manager would and should have been moved on. 

There are certainly a few good prospects coming through the Academy, in common with most other teams , but that is not a reason to hold on to a first team manager. The Academy, although underfunded under Romanov, has been established for years and, ironically, we have just turned to one of it's Class of Vlad graduates to try to solve the lack of creativity in the team. 

The Academy was ****ed when AB and CL came in absolutely ****ed. Its starting to pay dividends now and will continue to but as with all Academies there is hit and misses with it. 

Mr Elwood P
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You need to make the top six first so clearly that is the initial target! We beat Motherwell and Livingston and matched Celtic for 45  mins of the semi final and final. We also romped the first 11 Premiership matches. Pesky facts getting in the way once again.

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You need to make the top six first so clearly that is the initial target! We beat Motherwell and Livingston and matched Celtic for 45  mins of the semi final and final. We also romped the first 11 Premiership matches. Pesky facts getting in the way once again.

And the rest of the league games ??

Alex Kintner
16 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Levein could or maybe even should have been sacked. Pointless going over it again and again now. We move on.

Your point about the academy is nonsense though. It took a huge hit under Romanov and we’re now seeing the benefits of the changes made four years ago. The technical ability of those breaking through now is superb.

Mr Elwood P
8 minutes ago, Iamborg said:

And the rest of the league games ??

I’ve already covered that point.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic